Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Elefant
Ancona - Duomo
19 Sep 2022 |
|
|
Ancona was founded in 387 BC by Greek colonists from Syracuse. Today it is a port city of about 100.000 inhabitants and the capital of the Marche region. The port has always been of great importance because it was the shortest sea connection to Dalmatia.
After the fall of the Roman Empire, Ancona was attacked successively by the Goths and Lombards between the 3rd and 5th centuries but recovered its strength and importance. It was one of the cities of the Pentapolis of the Exarchate of Ravenna. In 840, Saracen raiders sacked and burned the city.
After 1000, Ancona became increasingly independent, eventually turning into a maritime republic, often clashing against the nearby power of Venice. In the 12th century, it was strong enough to push back the forces of the Holy Roman Empire. Its ships took part in the Crusades. In the struggle between the Popes and the Holy Roman Emperors Ancona sided with the Guelphs.
The Malatesta, took the city in 1348. They were ousted in 1383. In 1532 Ancona definitively lost its freedom and became part of the Papal States.
-
The Duomo stands on the site of the former acropolis of the Greek city, the Guasco hill which overlooks Ancona and its gulf. In Greek and Roman times there was a temple of Venus here. In the 6th century, a Palaeo-Christian church was built. This building, destroyed by the Saracens in 840, was dedicated to San Lorenzo, but after reconstruction was dedicated to St. Judas Cyriacus.
In 995–1015, a new church was built, which kept the original walls. In 1017 the basilica received the relics of Saint Marcellinus of Ancona and Saint Cyriacus. Further enlargement works occurred between the late 12th and the early 13th centuries, with the addition of a transept to obtain a Greek cross plan, and an entrance towards the southwest, resulting in the church now facing the port and the new road entering the city.
The cathedral represents an excellent example of Romanesque art, mixed with Byzantine and Gothic elements.
Under the roofs of the cathedral are dozens of animals. Among them elephants, very similar to those in Puglia (e.g. Trani, Bari...). They have tiny ears.
Ancona - Duomo
19 Sep 2022 |
|
|
Ancona was founded in 387 BC by Greek colonists from Syracuse. Today it is a port city of about 100.000 inhabitants and the capital of the Marche region. The port has always been of great importance because it was the shortest sea connection to Dalmatia.
After the fall of the Roman Empire, Ancona was attacked successively by the Goths and Lombards between the 3rd and 5th centuries but recovered its strength and importance. It was one of the cities of the Pentapolis of the Exarchate of Ravenna. In 840, Saracen raiders sacked and burned the city.
After 1000, Ancona became increasingly independent, eventually turning into a maritime republic, often clashing against the nearby power of Venice. In the 12th century, it was strong enough to push back the forces of the Holy Roman Empire. Its ships took part in the Crusades. In the struggle between the Popes and the Holy Roman Emperors Ancona sided with the Guelphs.
The Malatesta, took the city in 1348. They were ousted in 1383. In 1532 Ancona definitively lost its freedom and became part of the Papal States.
-
The Duomo stands on the site of the former acropolis of the Greek city, the Guasco hill which overlooks Ancona and its gulf. In Greek and Roman times there was a temple of Venus here. In the 6th century, a Palaeo-Christian church was built. This building, destroyed by the Saracens in 840, was dedicated to San Lorenzo, but after reconstruction was dedicated to St. Judas Cyriacus.
In 995–1015, a new church was built, which kept the original walls. In 1017 the basilica received the relics of Saint Marcellinus of Ancona and Saint Cyriacus. Further enlargement works occurred between the late 12th and the early 13th centuries, with the addition of a transept to obtain a Greek cross plan, and an entrance towards the southwest, resulting in the church now facing the port and the new road entering the city.
The cathedral represents an excellent example of Romanesque art, mixed with Byzantine and Gothic elements.
Under the roofs of the cathedral are dozens of animals. Among them elephants, very similar to those in Puglia (e.g. Trani, Bari...). They have tiny ears.
Magdeburg - Dom
03 Jul 2022 |
|
Founded by Charlemagne in 805 as Magadoburg, the town was fortified in 919 by King Henry the Fowler against the Magyars and Slavs. In 929 King Otto I granted the city to his English-born wife Edith as dower. At her death, Queen Edith was buried in the crypt of the Benedictine abbey of Saint Maurice, later rebuilt as the cathedral. In 937, Magdeburg was the seat of a royal assembly. Otto I was buried as well in the cathedral.
In 1035 Magdeburg received a patent giving the city the right to hold trade exhibitions and conventions. This was the basis of town law to become known as the Magdeburg rights. These laws were adopted and modified throughout Central and Eastern Europe.
In the 13th century, Magdeburg became a member of the Hanseatic League. With more than 20,000 inhabitants Magdeburg was one of the largest cities in the Holy Roman Empire.
During the Thirty Years' War (1618–1648) Magdeburg was raided and probably 20.000 inhabitants lost their lives. A small group of 4000 people survived the "Sack of Magdeburg" by seeking refuge in the cathedral. Begging on his knees before the conqueror the head priest saved them.
-
The construction of the "Cathedral of Saints Catherine and Maurice" started in 1209. Two years ago, the church that had been in this place since 932, burnt down with most of the town. This church is influenced by the then-new gothic style, developed in France. Otto I the Great and his wife Edith of England have their graves here.
The construction stopped after 1274. In 1325, Archbishop Burchard III. was killed by the people of Magdeburg because of extreme taxes. Folklore says that especially the beer tax increase caused much anger. Afterward, Magdeburg was under a ban, and only after the donation of five atonement altars did the construction of the cathedral continue. In 1360 the construction stopped again for many decades. Only in 1477 did the construction start again. The towers were constructed by master builder Bastian Binder, the only master builder of the cathedral known by name. The construction of the cathedral was completed in 1520.
Although the cathedral was looted several times during its history, many valuable furnishings and art treasures have been preserved, which were moved out and secured during the bombardments of WWII.
-
The very rare species of a medieval elephant. Since only two elephants were seen in Europe in the 12th century (plus Charlemagne Abul Abbas around 800), the knowledge about these animals was more or less non-existent. This elephant carries a fort on its back, the bridge rests on its tusks. All the capitals here date 1200-1240.
Tallinn - Niguliste kirik
28 Jan 2022 |
|
|
Tallinn, the capital city of Estonia, is situated on the shore of the Gulf of Finland of the Baltic Sea. It is only 80 kilometres south of Helsinki. From the 13th century until the first half of the 20th century Tallinn was known as Reval.
The first recorded claim over the place was laid by Denmark after a raid in 1219 led by Valdemar II. In 1227, the Order of the Brothers of the Sword conquered Reval and three years later recruited 200 Westphalian and Lower Saxon merchants from Gotland, who settled below the castle and were granted freedom of customs and land. In 1238 Reval fell back to Denmark, Under renewed Danish rule, the city rapidly grew in size and economic importance. In 1248, the Danish king granted it the Lübische Stadtrecht (town charter). Due to the strategic location, its port became a significant trade hub, especially in the 14–16th centuries when Tallinn grew in importance as the northernmost member city of the Hanseatic League.
The king of Denmark sold Reval along with other land possessions in northern Estonia to the Teutonic Knights in 1346.
The "Niguliste kirik" (St. Nicholas Church) was founded and built around 1230–1275 by Westphalian merchants.
In 1405–1420 the church obtained its current late Gothic appearance. In 1515 the tower was built higher and in late 17th century, it got a Baroque spire with airy galleries, which was raised higher stage by stage through several centuries. The tower is now 105 metres (344.5 ft) high.
Saint Nicholas was the only church in Tallinn that remained untouched by iconoclasm brought by the Protestant Reformation in 1523. The church was converted to a Lutheran congregation in the 16th century.
In 1944, the church was severely damaged by bombing. The resulting fire turned the church into ruins and destroyed most of its interior. Most art treasures survived thanks to their timely evacuation from the church. The renovation of the church started in 1953 and was completely finished in 1981.
The church tower was again damaged by a fire in October 1982. The tower was burnt out. After a restoration the church was inaugurated in 1984 as a museum and concert hall.
There are many epitaphs hanging on the walls of the church. This one is by Gotthard Wilhelm von Helffreich (ca. 1693 -1751). I have not found out the connection the von Hellfreich family had to elephants.
Trzebiatów - Hansken
22 Nov 2021 |
|
The baroque drawing was made in the sgraffito technique. The drawing depicts Hanken, a female elephant. The sgraffito was created in 1639, as then a circus came to Trzebiatów.
Its main attraction was an elephant that could pick up money from the ground, shoot from a musket, march and fence with a rapier. One of the inhabitants of Trzebiatów had this event immortalized on the facade of his house. Later the work was covered by a layer of plaster. It was rediscovered in 1914 during the renovation of the house.The drwaing is about 3 metres high.
Hansken, born in 1630 in Ceylon, was brought to Holland in 1637. Hansken toured fairs in the Netherlands and Germany and was a kind of showstar. Rembrandt saw her and made four sketches of her.
In 1651, Hansken travelled from Switzerland to Rome. On the way back from Rome, the elephant died in Florence in 1655.
The skeleton of Hansken is still preserved in Florence at Museo della Specola.
Sant Joan de les Abadesses - Monastery
28 Aug 2012 |
|
The monastery was founded in 885 by Wilfred the Hairy as one of the first nunneries in Catalonia. First abbess here was his daughter Emma. At that time her brother Radulf was abbot in nearby Ripoll, where Wilfred had founded a monastery as well. A family business!
The church of the nunnery was consecrated in 887, but already in 1017, by request of Bernard I of Besalú, a papal bull suppressed the nunnery. Bernard then established a community of monks. In 1114 Augustinian canons took possession of the monastery, ruled by local abbots until 1484. In 1592 the monastery was secularized and converted into a simple collegiate that was given up in 1856.
The church has a single nave and a wide transept. The transept opens to to five apses. Many carved capitals can be found in the dim building - and Wilfred the Hairy´s "crown" is on display here.
Another surprise, as not only the beardpullers are outside and inside the church, the elephants as well. These elephants are really identical to the cousins outside the apse.
Sant Joan de les Abadesses - Monastery
27 Aug 2012 |
|
The monastery was founded in 885 by Wilfred the Hairy as one of the first nunneries in Catalonia. First abbess here was his daughter Emma. At that time her brother Radulf was abbot in nearby Ripoll, where Wilfred had founded a monastery as well. A family business!
The church of the nunnery was consecrated in 887, but already in 1017, by request of Bernard I of Besalú, a papal bull suppressed the nunnery. Bernard then established a community of monks. In 1114 Augustinian canons took possession of the monastery, ruled by local abbots until 1484. In 1592 the monastery was secularized and converted into a simple collegiate that was given up in 1856.
The current church dates back to the 12th century, though it got largely restored after an earthquake in 1428. It has a single nave, a wide transept and five apses.
A capital of the extraordenary decorated central apse depicts elephants, a very rare species on medieval capitals. The elephants, seen here, are pretty "exact" and realistic. The ratio body/head and head/trunk is very well, only the ears are missing and the feet look strange.
The first elephant, who is recorded in Europe (after Roman times), was Abul Abbas, presented to Charlemagne by Harun al-Rashid. Abul Abbas reached Aix-la-Chapelle in 802.
The second elephant recorded is the "Cremona Elephant", presented by Sultan Al-Kamil to Frederick II, Holy Roman Emperor, in 1229.
In 1255 Louis IX of France (aka "Saint Louis") brought an elephant home from the 6th cruisade. This one was given to Henry III of England and died in London in 1258.
So during the 12th century, when this capital was carved, there was no elephant in Europe, what has led to the speculation, to see these elephants as carved by moorish carvers, who may have had different experiences/backgrounds.
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "Elefant" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter