Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Frankenberg

Frankenberg - Liebfrauenkirche

28 Jun 2019 220
In medieval times the area around was fought for by different parties. In 1232 Konrad of Thuringia, brother in law of Saint Elisabeth, had a fortified complex built here, that dominated the entire middle valley of the Eder river. There were a castle and an ecclesiastical area. Immediately the city was built with a large marketplace. It was obviously planned to have a strong bastion and to take advantage of the favourable traffic conditions. The inhabitants of the new town were composed of the inhabitants of the surrounding villages and hamlets, who were resettled or voluntarily left their old homes. Frankenberg was soon surrounded by a mighty wall. Of the 25 towers and gates of the old town, only one still exists, the five city gates have disappeared. The Liebfrauenkirche was built in 1286 according to the model of St. Elizabeth's Church in Marburg, one of the very first churches erected in Germany in Gothic style. It is believed that the entire "Bauhütte" moved from Marburg to Frankenberg to work here at the request of Landgrave Henry I , the grandson of St. Elizabeth. In 1476, when a fire destroyed the entire town, the Liebfrauenkirche also burned out completely, which led to the loss of the precious original equipment. The church got rebuilt. After the Reformation, the church became a Protestant church. An iconoclasm started, under Landgrave Moritz (aka "Moritz der Gelehrte", "Maurice the Learned"), who, due to his Reformed confession, rigorously enforced the biblical prohibition of images. During this fury statues of saints and other Christian representations and artistic treasures were irretrievably lost in 1606. When the Liebfrauenkirche had been completed, Johannes von Cassel donated his fortune for the construction of a pilgrimage chapel in honor of the Virgin Mary. This chapel was designed master builder Tyle von Fankenberg built 1370 to 1380 on the floor plan of an irregular octagon. The chapel was added on to the southern transept the church. The Marienkapelle is an early testimony of the high gothic and a unique construction. The altar got mutilated during the iconoclasm in 1605. The angels of the altar´s long frieze, making music, were not spared out. The iconoclasm was a mob action by Calvinist crowds. In German it was (and still ist) called "Bildersturm" ("image/statue storm"). The "pious vandals" will have been as furious as the Taliban crowds who destroyed the giant Buddhas of Bamyan in 2001 in Afghanistan.

Frankenberg - Liebfrauenkirche

28 Jun 2019 1 208
In medieval times the area around was fought for by different parties. In 1232 Konrad of Thuringia, brother in law of Saint Elisabeth, had a fortified complex built here, that dominated the entire middle valley of the Eder river. There were a castle and an ecclesiastical area. Immediately the city was built with a large marketplace. It was obviously planned to have a strong bastion and to take advantage of the favourable traffic conditions. The inhabitants of the new town were composed of the inhabitants of the surrounding villages and hamlets, who were resettled or voluntarily left their old homes. Frankenberg was soon surrounded by a mighty wall. Of the 25 towers and gates of the old town, only one still exists, the five city gates have disappeared. The Liebfrauenkirche was built in 1286 according to the model of St. Elizabeth's Church in Marburg, one of the very first churches erected in Germany in Gothic style. It is believed that the entire "Bauhütte" moved from Marburg to Frankenberg to work here at the request of Landgrave Henry I , the grandson of St. Elizabeth. In 1476, when a fire destroyed the entire town, the Liebfrauenkirche also burned out completely, which led to the loss of the precious original equipment. The church got rebuilt. After the Reformation, the church became a Protestant church. An iconoclasm started, under Landgrave Moritz (aka "Moritz der Gelehrte", "Maurice the Learned"), who, due to his Reformed confession, rigorously enforced the biblical prohibition of images. During this fury statues of saints and other Christian representations and artistic treasures were irretrievably lost in 1606. When the Liebfrauenkirche had been completed, Johannes von Cassel donated his fortune for the construction of a pilgrimage chapel in honor of the Virgin Mary. This chapel was designed master builder Tyle von Fankenberg built 1370 to 1380 on the floor plan of an irregular octagon. The chapel was added on to the southern transept the church. The Marienkapelle ia an early testimony of the high gothic and a unique construction. The altar (6.50 m high) got completely mutilated during the iconoclasm in 1605. The iconoclasm was a mob action by Calvinist crowds. In German it was (and still ist) called "Bildersturm" ("image/statue storm"). The "pious vandals" will have been as furious as the Taliban crowds who destroyed the giant Buddhas of Bamyan in 2001 in Afghanistan.

Frankenberg - Liebfrauenkirche

28 Jun 2019 276
In medieval times the area around was fought for by different parties. In 1232 Konrad of Thuringia, brother in law of Saint Elisabeth, had a fortified complex built here, that dominated the entire middle valley of the Eder river. There were a castle and an ecclesiastical area. Immediately the city was built with a large marketplace. It was obviously planned to have a strong bastion and to take advantage of the favourable traffic conditions. The inhabitants of the new town were composed of the inhabitants of the surrounding villages and hamlets, who were resettled or voluntarily left their old homes. Frankenberg was soon surrounded by a mighty wall. Of the 25 towers and gates of the old town, only one still exists, the five city gates have disappeared. The Liebfrauenkirche was built in 1286 according to the model of St. Elizabeth's Church in Marburg, one of the very first churches erected in Germany in Gothic style. It is believed that the entire "Bauhütte" moved from Marburg to Frankenberg to work here at the request of Landgrave Henry I, the grandson of St. Elizabeth. In 1476, when a fire destroyed the entire town, the Liebfrauenkirche also burned out completely, which led to the loss of the precious original equipment. The church got rebuilt. After the Reformation, the church became a Protestant church. An iconoclasm started, under Landgrave Moritz (aka "Moritz der Gelehrte", "Maurice the Learned"), who, due to his Reformed confession, rigorously enforced the biblical prohibition of images. During this fury statues of saints and other Christian representations and artistic treasures were irretrievably lost in 1606. When the Liebfrauenkirche had been completed, Johannes von Cassel donated his fortune for the construction of a pilgrimage chapel in honor of the Virgin Mary. This chapel was designed by master builder Tyle von Frankenberg built 1370 to 1380 on the floor plan of an irregular octagon. The chapel was added on to the southern transept the church. The "Marienkapelle" is an early testimony of the high gothic and a unique construction. The ceiling with the uncommon vaults.

Frankenberg - Liebfrauenkirche

28 Jun 2019 376
In medieval times the area around was fought for by different parties. In 1232 Konrad of Thuringia, brother in law of Saint Elisabeth, had a fortified complex built here, that dominated the entire middle valley of the Eder river. There were a castle and an ecclesiastical area. Immediately the city was built with a large marketplace. It was obviously planned to have a strong bastion and to take advantage of the favourable traffic conditions. The inhabitants of the new town were composed of the inhabitants of the surrounding villages and hamlets, who were resettled or voluntarily left their old homes. Frankenberg was soon surrounded by a mighty wall. Of the 25 towers and gates of the old town, only one still exists, the five city gates have disappeared. The Liebfrauenkirche was built in 1286 according to the model of St. Elizabeth's Church in Marburg, one of the very first churches erected in Germany in Gothic style. It is believed that the entire "Bauhütte" moved from Marburg to Frankenberg to work here at the request of Landgrave Henry I , the grandson of St. Elizabeth. In 1476, when a fire destroyed the entire town, the Liebfrauenkirche also burned out completely, which led to the loss of the precious original equipment. The church got rebuilt. After the Reformation, the church became a Protestant church. An iconoclasm started, under Landgrave Moritz , who, due to his Reformed confession, rigorously enforced the biblical prohibition of images. During this fury statues of saints and other Christian representations and artistic treasures were irretrievably lost in 1606. The choir by master builder Tyle vron Frankenberg was completed in 1380

Frankenberg - Liebfrauenkirche

28 Jun 2019 1 388
In medieval times the area around was fought for by different parties. In 1232 Konrad of Thuringia, brother in law of Saint Elisabeth, had a fortified complex built here, that dominated the entire middle valley of the Eder river. There were a castle and an ecclesiastical area. Immediately the city was built with a large marketplace. It was obviously planned to have a strong bastion and to take advantage of the favourable traffic conditions. The inhabitants of the new town were composed of the inhabitants of the surrounding villages and hamlets, who were resettled or voluntarily left their old homes. Frankenberg was soon surrounded by a mighty wall. Of the 25 towers and gates of the old town, only one still exists, the five city gates have disappeared. The Liebfrauenkirche was built in 1286 according to the model of St. Elizabeth's Church in Marburg, one of the very first churches erected in Germany in Gothic style. It is believed that the entire "Bauhütte" moved from Marburg to Frankenberg to work here at the request of Landgrave Henry I , the grandson of St. Elizabeth. In 1476, when a fire destroyed the entire town, the Liebfrauenkirche also burned out completely, which led to the loss of the precious original equipment. The church got rebuilt. After the Reformation, the church became a Protestant church. An iconoclasm started, under Landgrave Moritz , who, due to his Reformed confession, rigorously enforced the biblical prohibition of images. During this fury statues of saints and other Christian representations and artistic treasures were irretrievably lost in 1606. The vaults of the three nave church are embellished with painted vines, probably created around 1485.

Frankenberg - Liebfrauenkirche

27 Jun 2019 282
In medieval times the area around was fought for by different parties. In 1232 Konrad of Thuringia, brother in law of Saint Elisabeth, had a fortified complex built here, that dominated the entire middle valley of the Eder river. There were a castle and an ecclesiastical area. Immediately the city was built with a large marketplace. It was obviously planned to have a strong bastion and to take advantage of the favourable traffic conditions. The inhabitants of the new town were composed of the inhabitants of the surrounding villages and hamlets, who were resettled or voluntarily left their old homes. Frankenberg was soon surrounded by a mighty wall. Of the 25 towers and gates of the old town, only one still exists, the five city gates have disappeared. The Liebfrauenkirche was built in 1286 according to the model of St. Elizabeth's Church in Marburg, one of the very first churches erected in Germany in Gothic style. It is believed that the entire "Bauhütte" moved from Marburg to Frankenberg to work here at the request of Landgrave Henry I, the grandson of St. Elizabeth. In 1476, when a fire destroyed the entire town, the Liebfrauenkirche also burned out completely, which led to the loss of the precious original equipment. The church got rebuilt. After the Reformation, the church became a Protestant church. An iconoclasm started, under Landgrave Moritz, who, due to his Reformed confession, rigorously enforced the biblical prohibition of images. During this fury statues of saints and other Christian representations and artistic treasures were irretrievably lost in 1606. The outer walls of the church are covered with graffiti. The initials GLFB were obviously carved in in 1764.

Frankenberg - Liebfrauenkirche

27 Jun 2019 211
In medieval times the area around was fought for by different parties. In 1232 Konrad of Thuringia, brother in law of Saint Elisabeth, had a fortified complex built here, that dominated the entire middle valley of the Eder river. There were a castle and an ecclesiastical area. Immediately the city was built with a large marketplace. It was obviously planned to have a strong bastion and to take advantage of the favourable traffic conditions. The inhabitants of the new town were composed of the inhabitants of the surrounding villages and hamlets, who were resettled or voluntarily left their old homes. Frankenberg was soon surrounded by a mighty wall. Of the 25 towers and gates of the old town, only one still exists, the five city gates have disappeared. The Liebfrauenkirche was built in 1286 according to the model of St. Elizabeth's Church in Marburg, one of the very first churches erected in Germany in Gothic style. It is believed that the entire "Bauhütte" moved from Marburg to Frankenberg to work here at the request of Landgrave Henry I , the grandson of St. Elizabeth. In 1476, when a fire destroyed the entire town, the Liebfrauenkirche also burned out completely, which led to the loss of the precious original equipment. The church got rebuilt. After the Reformation, the church became a Protestant church. An iconoclasm started, under Landgrave Moritz , who, due to his Reformed confession, rigorously enforced the biblical prohibition of images. During this fury statues of saints and other Christian representations and artistic treasures were irretrievably lost in 1606. The outer walls of the church are covered with graffiti. "Herman" carved his name into the soft bricks in 1660.

Frankenberg - Liebfrauenkirche

27 Jun 2019 320
In medieval times the area around was fought for by different parties. In 1232 Konrad of Thuringia, brother in law of Saint Elisabeth, had a fortified complex built here, that dominated the entire middle valley of the Eder river. There were a castle and an ecclesiastical area. Immediately the city was built with a large marketplace. It was obviously planned to have a strong bastion and to take advantage of the favourable traffic conditions. The inhabitants of the new town were composed of the inhabitants of the surrounding villages and hamlets, who were resettled or voluntarily left their old homes. Frankenberg was soon surrounded by a mighty wall. Of the 25 towers and gates of the old town, only one still exists, the five city gates have disappeared. The Liebfrauenkirche was built in 1286 according to the model of St. Elizabeth's Church in Marburg, one of the very first churches erected in Germany in Gothic style. It is believed that the entire "Bauhütte" moved from Marburg to Frankenberg to work here at the request of Landgrave Henry I , the grandson of St. Elizabeth. In 1476, when a fire destroyed the entire town, the Liebfrauenkirche also burned out completely, which led to the loss of the precious original equipment. The church got rebuilt. After the Reformation, the church became a Protestant church. An iconoclasm started, under Landgrave Moritz , who, due to his Reformed confession, rigorously enforced the biblical prohibition of images. During this fury statues of saints and other Christian representations and artistic treasures were irretrievably lost in 1606. The outer walls of the church are covered with carved graffiti. A lot of artisans left their marks. I found a couple of roofer´s hammers. It would be interesting to know, when roofers have worked here.

Frankenberg - Liebfrauenkirche

27 Jun 2019 2 298
In medieval times the area around was fought for by different parties. In 1232 Konrad of Thuringia, brother in law of Saint Elisabeth, had a fortified complex built here, that dominated the entire middle valley of the Eder river. There were a castle and an ecclesiastical area. Immediately the city was built with a large marketplace. It was obviously planned to have a strong bastion and to take advantage of the favourable traffic conditions. The inhabitants of the new town were composed of the inhabitants of the surrounding villages and hamlets, who were resettled or voluntarily left their old homes. Frankenberg was soon surrounded by a mighty wall. Of the 25 towers and gates of the old town, only one still exists, the five city gates have disappeared. The Liebfrauenkirche was built in 1286 according to the model of St. Elizabeth's Church in Marburg, one of the very first churches erected in Germany in in Gothic style. It is believed that the entire "Bauhütte" moved from Marburg to Frankenberg to work here at the request of Landgrave Henry I , the grandson of St. Elizabeth. The tower is about 61 metres high. In 1476, when a fire destroyed the entire town, the Liebfrauenkirche also burned out completely, which led to the loss of the precious original equipment. The church got rebuilt. After the Reformation, the church became a Protestant church. An iconoclasm started, under Landgrave Moritz , who, due to his Reformed confession, rigorously enforced the biblical prohibition of images. During this fury statues of saints and other Christian representations and artistic treasures were irretrievably lost in 1606.

Frankenberg - Liebfrauenkirche

27 Jun 2019 293
In medieval times the area around was fought for by different parties. In 1232 Konrad of Thuringia, brother in law of Saint Elisabeth, had a fortified complex built here, that dominated the entire middle valley of the Eder river. There were a castle and an ecclesiastical area. Immediately the city was built with a large marketplace. It was obviously planned to have a strong bastion and to take advantage of the favourable traffic conditions. The inhabitants of the new town were composed of the inhabitants of the surrounding villages and hamlets, who were resettled or voluntarily left their old homes. Frankenberg was soon surrounded by a mighty wall. Of the 25 towers and gates of the old town, only one still exists, the five city gates have disappeared. The Liebfrauenkirche was built in 1286 according to the model of St. Elizabeth's Church in Marburg, one of the very first churches erected in Germany in in Gothic style. It is believed that the entire "Bauhütte" moved from Marburg to Frankenberg to work here at the request of Landgrave Henry I , the grandson of St. Elizabeth. The choir was completed in 1380 by Tyle von Frankenberg the . In 1476, when a fire destroyed the entire town, the Liebfrauenkirche also burned out completely, which led to the loss of the precious original equipment. The church got rebuilt. After the Reformation, the church became a Protestant church. A iconoclasm started, under Landgrave Moritz , who, due to his Reformed confession, rigorously enforced the biblical prohibition of images. During this fury statues of saints and other Christian representations and artistic treasures were irretrievably lost in 1606.

Frankenberg - Liebfrauenkirche

26 Jun 2019 4 1 328
In medieval times the area around was fought for by different parties. In 1232 Konrad of Thuringia, brother in law of Saint Elisabeth, had a fortified complex built here, that dominated the entire middle valley of the Eder river. There were a castle and an ecclesiastical area. Immediately the city was built with a large marketplace. It was obviously planned to have a strong bastion and to take advantage of the favourable traffic conditions. The inhabitants of the new town were composed of the inhabitants of the surrounding villages and hamlets, who were resettled or voluntarily left their old homes. Frankenberg was soon surrounded by a mighty wall. Of the 25 towers and gates of the old town, only one still exists, the five city gates have disappeared. The Liebfrauenkirche was built in 1286 according to the model of St. Elizabeth's Church in Marburg, one of the very first churches erected in Germany in Gothic style. It is believed that the entire "Bauhütte" moved from Marburg to Frankenberg to work here at the request of Landgrave Henry I, the grandson of St. Elizabeth. In 1476, when a fire destroyed the entire town, the Liebfrauenkirche also burned out completely, which led to the loss of the precious original equipment. The church got rebuilt. After the Reformation, the church became a Protestant church. An iconoclasm started, under Landgrave Moritz, who, due to his Reformed confession, rigorously enforced the biblical prohibition of images. During this fury statues of saints and other Christian representations and artistic treasures were irretrievably lost in 1606.

Frankenberg - Steinhaus

18 Jun 2019 177
In medieval times the area around was fought for by different parties. In 1232 Konrad of Thuringia, brother in law of Saint Elisabeth, had a fortified complex built here, that dominated the entire middle valley of the Eder river. There were a castle and an ecclesiastical area. Immediately the city was built with a large marketplace. It was obviously planned to have a strong bastion and to take advantage of the favourable traffic conditions. The inhabitants of the new town were composed of the inhabitants of the surrounding villages and hamlets, who were resettled or voluntarily left their old homes. Frankenberg was soon surrounded by a mighty wall. Of the 25 towers and gates of the old town, only one still exists, the five city gates have disappeared. The Steinhaus (stone house) is the oldest building in Frankenberg. It was erected in 1220 and was one of the very few houses, that survived the town fire in 1485. Today it hosts the public library.

Frankenberg - Rathaus

18 Jun 2019 192
In medieval times the area around was fought for by different parties. In 1232 Konrad of Thuringia, brother in law of Saint Elisabeth, had a fortified complex built here, that dominated the entire middle valley of the Eder river. There were a castle and an ecclesiastical area. Immediately the city was built with a large marketplace. It was obviously planned to have a strong bastion and to take advantage of the favourable traffic conditions. The inhabitants of the new town were composed of the inhabitants of the surrounding villages and hamlets, who were resettled or voluntarily left their old homes. Frankenberg was soon surrounded by a mighty wall. Of the 25 towers and gates of the old town, only one still exists, the five city gates have disappeared. The Town Hall of Frankenberg (Rathaus) is located right in the historic centre of the city. The first town hall here was demolished in 1421, the successor burnt down in 1476. The third town hall building, which is preserved today, was built from 1509 to 1513. Since this time, the ground floor of the Town Hall, called "Schirn", is used as a covered market.

Frankenberg - Rathaus

18 Jun 2019 1 183
In medieval times the area around was fought for by different parties. In 1232 Konrad of Thuringia, brother in law of Saint Eliabeth, had a fortified complex built here, that dominated the entire middle valley of the Eder river. There was a castle and an ecclesiastical area. Immediately the city was built with a large marketplace. It was obviously planned to have a stronh bastion and to take advantage of the favorable traffic conditions. The inhabitants of the new town were composed of the inhabitants of the surrounding villages and hamlets, who were resettled or voluntarily left their old homes. Frankenberg was soon surrounded by a mighty wall. Of the 25 towers and gates of the old town, only one still exists, the five city gates have disappeared. The Town Hall of Frankenberg (Rathaus) is located right in the historic center of the city. The first town hall here was demolished in 1421, the successor burnt down in 1476. The third town hall building, which is preserved today, was built from 1509 to 1513. Here the Town Hall is seen from the "Upper Market", the door is open.

Frankenberg - Rathaus

18 Jun 2019 164
In medieval times the area around was fought for by different parties. In 1232 Konrad of Thuringia, brother in law of Saint Eliabeth, had a fortified complex built here, that dominated the entire middle valley of the Eder river. There was a castle and an ecclesiastical area. Immediately the city was built with a large marketplace. It was obviously planned to have a stronh bastion and to take advantage of the favorable traffic conditions. The inhabitants of the new town were composed of the inhabitants of the surrounding villages and hamlets, who were resettled or voluntarily left their old homes. Frankenberg was soon surrounded by a mighty wall. Of the 25 towers and gates of the old town, only one still exists, the five city gates have disappeared. The Town Hall of Frankenberg (Rathaus) is located right in the historic center of the city. The first town hall here was demolished in 1421, the successor burnt down in 1476. The third town hall building, which is preserved today, was built from 1509 to 1513. It is embellished with carvings. Here are two jesters.

Frankenberg - Rathaus

17 Jun 2019 3 1 443
In medieval times the area around was fought for by different parties. In 1232 Konrad of Thuringia, brother in law of Saint Elisabeth, had a fortified complex built here, that dominated the entire middle valley of the Eder river. There were a castle and an ecclesiastical area. Immediately the city was built with a large marketplace. It was obviously planned to have a strong bastion and to take advantage of the favourable traffic conditions. The inhabitants of the new town were composed of the inhabitants of the surrounding villages and hamlets, who were resettled or voluntarily left their old homes. Frankenberg was soon surrounded by a mighty wall. Of the 25 towers and gates of the old town, only one still exists, the five city gates have disappeared. The Town Hall of Frankenberg (Rathaus) is located right in the historic centre of the city. The first town hall here was demolished in 1421, the successor burnt down in 1476. The third town hall building, which is preserved today, was built from 1509 to 1513.