Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Abul Abbas

Bitonto - Concattedrale di Bitonto

03 Jun 2020 1 1 161
Bitonto, today a city of a population of about 55000, was probably founded by Greek settlers. Traces of a city wall dating to the 5th and 4th century BC were found. Legends tell that the name Bitonto is connected to an Illyrian king named Botone. Later "Civitas Butuntinenses" became a self-governing Roman municipium, A Paleochristian basilica existed very early. During the 9th century, Bitonto successfully withstood a Saracen raid but got destroyed by Byzantine troops in 975. The Normans took over Apulia. In the 11th and 12th century. Under the rule of the Normans of Roger II of Sicily, William I of Sicily (aka William the Wicked) and William II of Sicily (aka William the Good), the city prospered and got new walls. In 1227, Bitonto was the scene of ex-communication of Frederick II accused by pope Gregory IX of having come to terms with the sultan al-Malik al-Kamil. - The Bitonto Cathedral, dedicated to San Valentino, was erected 1175/1200 in the centre of the city. The construction was probably influenced by the "Basilica of San Nicola" in Bari and was done in the typical "Apulian Romanesque" style. It is proven that the bishopric existed in 1089, though the crypt of the cathedral has remains of a 5th-century church. There are three portals. The central one has a double archivolt, that is densely populated with animal and vegetable figures. I have tilted the photo by 90°, to give a better impression of this elephant. Emperor Frederick II was the owner of the "Cremona Elephant", a present he had received from Al-Kamil. The "Cremona Elephant" was the second elephant in Europe after Roman times. The first was Charlemagnes "Abul Abbas". Frederick II presented the "Cremona Elephant" in his triumph parades. As this elephant is anatomically pretty precise - it is probably the Cremona Elephant.

Schaffhausen - Kloster Allerheiligen

31 May 2017 219
Kloster Allerheiligen (= "All Saints Abbey") is a former Benedictine monastery, founded by Eberhard VI. von Nellenburg in 1049. The Nellenburg family controlled the bypass of the Rheinfall waterfalls, what led to great wealth. The construction site of the monastery was consecrated by by Pope Leo IX and the works were completed already 1064. The church was dedicated to the Saviour, the Holy Cross, the Virgin Mary and All the Saints. Allerheiligen became, instead of the Reichenau Abbey, the new grave lay by the founding family, and Eberhard himself became a monk in the abbey, and died here in 1078. During the Investiture Controversy the pope loyal Burkhard von Nellenburg, Ebergard´s son and heir, conformed in 1080 all of the rights of the monastery. The monastery was subordinate to the Pope, and received the vast estate of the Nellenburg family, the free election of the abbot, and the town of Schaffhausen. Burkhard remained the monastery's Vogt, and motivated the abbot to join with some monks from the Hirsau Abbey, to reform the monastery on the model of Hirsau, that was based on Cluny During the Reformation in Switzerland, the abbey was abolished, and the church of the abbey became the second main city church in 1524. Kloster Allerheiligen is a labyrinthic complex of buildings. This building was outside the "clausura". It connected the offices of the abbot with the guest rooms. The lower part (first and second storey) including the loggia were erected in the early 13th century. There are some extraordinary carvings. A second, closer look onto the elephant. Probably created by the same artist, who carved the nearby Samson (foliage). Depicted here (pretty precise!) is probably the "Cremona elephant", a present to Holy Roman Emperor Frederick II by Sultan Al-Kamil, in 1229. Frederick used the elephant in his triumph parades. On the elephant´s back is a (wooden) castle, placed on a carpet. The "Cremona elephant" was the second elephant, that reached Europe in medieval times. The first was (more than 400 years earlier) "Abul Abbas", a present to Charlemagne from Harun al-Rashid.

Schaffhausen - Kloster Allerheiligen

31 May 2017 233
Kloster Allerheiligen (= "All Saints Abbey") is a former Benedictine monastery, founded by Eberhard VI. von Nellenburg in 1049. The Nellenburg family controlled the bypass of the Rheinfall waterfalls, what led to great wealth. The construction site of the monastery was consecrated by by Pope Leo IX and the works were completed already 1064. The church was dedicated to the Saviour, the Holy Cross, the Virgin Mary and All the Saints. Allerheiligen became, instead of the Reichenau Abbey, the new grave lay by the founding family, and Eberhard himself became a monk in the abbey, and died here in 1078. During the Investiture Controversy the pope loyal Burkhard von Nellenburg, Ebergard´s son and heir, conformed in 1080 all of the rights of the monastery. The monastery was subordinate to the Pope, and received the vast estate of the Nellenburg family, the free election of the abbot, and the town of Schaffhausen. Burkhard remained the monastery's Vogt, and motivated the abbot to join with some monks from the Hirsau Abbey, to reform the monastery on the model of Hirsau, that was based on Cluny During the Reformation in Switzerland, the abbey was abolished, and the church of the abbey became the second main city church in 1524. Kloster Allerheiligen is a labyrinthic complex of buildings. This building was outside the "clausura". It connected the offices of the abbot with the guest rooms. The lower part (first and second storey) including the loggia were erected in the early 13th century. There are some extraordinary carvings. An elephant! Depicted here (pretty precise!) is probably the "Cremona elephant", a present to Holy Roman Emperor Frederick II by Sultan Al-Kamil, in 1229. Frederick used the elephant in his triumph parades. The "Cremona elephant" was the second elephant, that reached Europe in medieval times. The first was (more than 400 years earlier) "Abul Abbas", a present to Charlemagne from Harun al-Rashid.

Vezelay - Basilique Sainte-Marie-Madeleine

09 Feb 2015 218
The Basilique Sainte-Marie-Madeleine is a jewel of Romanesque architecture. The nave was erected within 20 years, from 1120 on, after the preceding church burnt down, with a loss of more than 1000 lifes. The choir and the transept, seen here, were erected 1185 - 1215. They are completed already in gothic style. The relics of Sainte Marie Madeleine, that had been here since around 1050, made Vezelay to a center of pilgrimage (and the starting point of the Via Lemovizensis). But in 1279 dominican monks in Saint-Maximin-la-Sainte-Baume claimed to have found the "real" sarcophagus of Sainte Marie Madeleine. Unfortunately the Dominicans found the patronage by Pope Boniface VIII and Charles d'Anjou - and so Vezelay lost it´s importance. In 1559, during the Wars of Religion, Huguenots looted Vezelay und burnt the relics, that were still in Vezelay. Today there is a golden reliquary in the large, probably carolingian crypt, so obviously at least a part of the relics are still here. Prosper Mérimée and Viollet-le-Duc saved the basilica, that was a ruin in the early 19th century. When Prosper Mérimée started the renovation of the basilica in 1840, he was 26 years old. This was the first task for the young architect.. There are 99 carved capitals in the Basilique Sainte-Marie-Madeleine. Only a few were so damaged, that they had to be replaced during the renovation of the church. These damaged ones can be seen in the neighbouring museum now. All other capitals are still exactly in that places, they were carved for between 1125 and 1140. There is a specific smooth carving style in Vezelay. Here once were two elephants standing trunk in trunk. A vandal destroyed the capital. Either he could not stand the harmony of the animal couple, or he just did not like elephants at all. Charlemagne´s Abul Abbas had died in 810, more than 300 years before these elephants were carved. Two elephants reached Europe a century after the capital was created. The "Cremona Elephant", a gift presented to Frederick II by Sultan Al-Kamil in 1229, and the elephant Louis IX (aka "Saint Louis") presented to Henry III. This elephant, imported to France by Louis on his return from the crusade, died in cold and wet London in 1258.

Vezelay - Basilique Sainte-Marie-Madeleine

09 Feb 2015 259
The Basilique Sainte-Marie-Madeleine is a jewel of Romanesque architecture. The nave was erected within 20 years, from 1120 on, after the preceding church burnt down, with a loss of more than 1000 lifes. The choir and the transept, seen here, were erected 1185 - 1215. They are completed already in gothic style. The relics of Sainte Marie Madeleine, that had been here since around 1050, made Vezelay to a center of pilgrimage (and the starting point of the Via Lemovizensis). But in 1279 dominican monks in Saint-Maximin-la-Sainte-Baume claimed to have found the "real" sarcophagus of Sainte Marie Madeleine. Unfortunately the Dominicans found the patronage by Pope Boniface VIII and Charles d'Anjou - and so Vezelay lost it´s importance. In 1559, during the Wars of Religion, Huguenots looted Vezelay und burnt the relics, that were still in Vezelay. Today there is a golden reliquary in the large, probably carolingian crypt, so obviously at least a part of the relics are still here. Prosper Mérimée and Viollet-le-Duc saved the basilica, that was a ruin in the early 19th century. When Prosper Mérimée started the renovation of the basilica in 1840, he was 26 years old. This was the first task for the young architect.. There are 99 carved capitals in the Basilique Sainte-Marie-Madeleine. Only a few were so damaged, that they had to be replaced during the renovation of the church. These damaged ones can be seen in the neighbouring museum now. All other capitals are still exactly in that places, they were carved for between 1125 and 1140. There is a specific smooth carving style in Vezelay. Here once were two elephants standing trunk in trunk. A vandal destroyed the capital. Either he could not stand the harmony of the animal couple, or he just did not like elephants at all. Charlemagne´s Abul Abbas had died in 810, more than 300 years before these elephants were carved. Two elephants reached Europe a century after the capital was created. The "Cremona Elephant", a gift presented to Frederick II by Sultan Al-Kamil in 1229, and the elephant Louis IX (aka "Saint Louis") presented to Henry III. This elephant, imported to France by Louis on his return from the crusade, died in cold and wet London in 1258.

Aulnay - Saint-Pierre

24 Sep 2013 233
"Saint-Pierre d'Aulnay" is a church outside of Aulnay, in the center of an old graveyard. The setting has not changed for centuries. For the pilgrims of the 12th century this church was a major halt - and it still is for all the tourists... A predecessing church „Saint-Pierre-de-la-Tour“ had been here, that, when the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostella got more and more popular, was obviously to small, as Aulnay was conveniently situated between Poitiers and Saintes on the Via Turonensis. A new, larger church was needed, so the place was handed over to the chapter of the cathedral in Poitiers. The canons then probably planned this church, that was erected from about 1130/1140 on. "Saint-Pierre d'Aulnay" is a gem of the "style saintongeais". For Peter Strafford ("Romanesque Churches Of France") this is "one of the best examples of late Romanesque architecture in what used to be Aquitaine". This capital - for me - is the most interesting in Aulnay, as three elephants have gathered around the capital. Decades ago during my first year at university I wrote an essay on "Medieval Elephants". The first elephant, who is recorded in Europe (after Roman times), was Abul Abbas, presented to Charlemagne by Harun al-Rashid. Abul Abbas reached Aix-la-Chapelle in 802. The second elephant, recorded in medieval times, was the Cremona-elephant, a present from Al Kamil to Frederik II in 1229. There was no elephant in Europe between 810 and 1229. This carving is based on a myth about a giant animal living "somewhere". To tell the onlookers, what was to be seen, it got an inscription: "Hi(c) sunt elephan(tes)". The elephants here have tiny ears and very "uncommon" feet, but otherwsie they are pretty "precise". In case you want to see more medieval elephants, just follow the links: www.flickr.com/photos/martin-m-miles/sets/72157627646092224/ www.flickr.com/photos/martin-m-miles/galleries/page2/

Sant Joan de les Abadesses - Monastery

27 Aug 2012 205
The monastery was founded in 885 by Wilfred the Hairy as one of the first nunneries in Catalonia. First abbess here was his daughter Emma. At that time her brother Radulf was abbot in nearby Ripoll, where Wilfred had founded a monastery as well. A family business! The church of the nunnery was consecrated in 887, but already in 1017, by request of Bernard I of Besalú, a papal bull suppressed the nunnery. Bernard then established a community of monks. In 1114 Augustinian canons took possession of the monastery, ruled by local abbots until 1484. In 1592 the monastery was secularized and converted into a simple collegiate that was given up in 1856. The current church dates back to the 12th century, though it got largely restored after an earthquake in 1428. It has a single nave, a wide transept and five apses. A capital of the extraordenary decorated central apse depicts elephants, a very rare species on medieval capitals. The elephants, seen here, are pretty "exact" and realistic. The ratio body/head and head/trunk is very well, only the ears are missing and the feet look strange. The first elephant, who is recorded in Europe (after Roman times), was Abul Abbas, presented to Charlemagne by Harun al-Rashid. Abul Abbas reached Aix-la-Chapelle in 802. The second elephant recorded is the "Cremona Elephant", presented by Sultan Al-Kamil to Frederick II, Holy Roman Emperor, in 1229. In 1255 Louis IX of France (aka "Saint Louis") brought an elephant home from the 6th cruisade. This one was given to Henry III of England and died in London in 1258. So during the 12th century, when this capital was carved, there was no elephant in Europe, what has led to the speculation, to see these elephants as carved by moorish carvers, who may have had different experiences/backgrounds.