Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Saint-Géraud

Monsempron - Saint-Géraud

16 Apr 2020 131
The history of Monsempron (Mons-Sempronius) started, when in the 11th century Benedictine monks from Aurillac arrived and a priory, dependent from the abbey Saint-Géraud in Aurillac. The priory dominating the confluence of Lémance and Lot developed into a kind of fortified monastic town, that later got surrounded by a village. The first church here may have been small and simple. The church seen today got erected in the second half of the 12th century.It got enlarged and modified later, the Romanesque choir got replaced by a larger Gothic one (right). The secularisation of the Aurillac abbey ended the Benedictine life here, is in 1561 the priory was taken over by a chapter of canons. In 1632 the Lord of Fumel bought the office of prior of Monsempron for his underaged son. Léon de Saulx de Tavannes, prior from 1710 on, resided in Paris. All these priors were just interested in the revenue of the priory. The chapter got dissolved in 1790. Parts of the buildings were used by the municipality, but in 1793 they were put on sale. Today the whole structure is in the possession of the municipality. There are some nice, but "normal" capitals around the crossing, but the carvings along the nave are extraordenary. Strange creatures!

Monsempron - Saint-Géraud

15 Apr 2020 1 119
The history of Monsempron (Mons-Sempronius) started, when in the 11th century Benedictine monks from Aurillac arrived and a priory, dependent from the abbey Saint-Géraud in Aurillac. The priory dominating the confluence of Lémance and Lot developed into a kind of fortified monastic town, that later got surrounded by a village. The first church here may have been small and simple. The church seen today got erected in the second half of the 12th century.It got enlarged and modified later, the Romanesque choir got replaced by a larger Gothic one (right). The secularisation of the Aurillac abbey ended the Benedictine life here, is in 1561 the priory was taken over by a chapter of canons. In 1632 the Lord of Fumel bought the office of prior of Monsempron for his underaged son. Léon de Saulx de Tavannes, prior from 1710 on, resided in Paris. All these priors were just interested in the revenue of the priory. The chapter got dissolved in 1790. Parts of the buildings were used by the municipality, but in 1793 they were put on sale. Today the whole structure is in the possession of the municipality. There are some nice, but "normal" capitals around the crossing, but the carvings along the nave are extraordenary. Strange creatures!

Monsempron - Saint-Géraud

15 Apr 2020 122
The history of Monsempron (Mons-Sempronius) started, when in the 11th century Benedictine monks from Aurillac arrived and a priory, dependent from the abbey Saint-Géraud in Aurillac. The priory dominating the confluence of Lémance and Lot developed into a kind of fortified monastic town, that later got surrounded by a village. The first church here may have been small and simple. The church seen today got erected in the second half of the 12th century.It got enlarged and modified later, the Romanesque choir got replaced by a larger Gothic one (right). The secularisation of the Aurillac abbey ended the Benedictine life here, is in 1561 the priory was taken over by a chapter of canons. In 1632 the Lord of Fumel bought the office of prior of Monsempron for his underaged son. Léon de Saulx de Tavannes, prior from 1710 on, resided in Paris. All these priors were just interested in the revenue of the priory. The chapter got dissolved in 1790. Parts of the buildings were used by the municipality, but in 1793 they were put on sale. Today the whole structure is in the possession of the municipality. There are some nice, but "normal" capitals around the crossing, but the carvings along the nave are extraordenary. Strange creatures!

Monsempron - Saint-Géraud

15 Apr 2020 4 138
The history of Monsempron (Mons-Sempronius) started, when in the 11th century Benedictine monks from Aurillac arrived and a priory, dependent from the abbey Saint-Géraud in Aurillac. The priory dominating the confluence of Lémance and Lot developed into a kind of fortified monastic town, that later got surrounded by a village. The first church here may have been small and simple. The church seen today got erected in the second half of the 12th century.It got enlarged and modified later, the Romanesque choir got replaced by a larger Gothic one (right). The secularisation of the Aurillac abbey ended the Benedictine life here, is in 1561 the priory was taken over by a chapter of canons. In 1632 the Lord of Fumel bought the office of prior of Monsempron for his underaged son. Léon de Saulx de Tavannes, prior from 1710 on, resided in Paris. All these priors were just interested in the revenue of the priory. The chapter got dissolved in 1790. Parts of the buildings were used by the municipality, but in 1793 they were put on sale. Today the whole structure is in the possession of the municipality. The choir of the church was built over a crypt and so stairs lead up to it. The apse is Gothic. The capitals are extraordinary.

Monsempron - Saint-Géraud

15 Apr 2020 1 133
The history of Monsempron (Mons-Sempronius) started, when in the 11th century Benedictine monks from Aurillac arrived and a priory, dependent from the abbey Saint-Géraud in Aurillac. The priory dominating the confluence of Lémance and Lot developed into a kind of fortified monastic town, that later got surrounded by a village. The first church here may have been small and simple. The church seen today got erected in the second half of the 12th century.It got enlarged and modified later, the Romanesque choir got replaced by a larger Gothic one (right). The secularisation of the Aurillac abbey ended the Benedictine life here, is in 1561 the priory was taken over by a chapter of canons. In 1632 the Lord of Fumel bought the office of prior of Monsempron for his underaged son. Léon de Saulx de Tavannes, prior from 1710 on, resided in Paris. All these priors were just interested in the revenue of the priory. The chapter got dissolved in 1790. Parts of the buildings were used by the municipality, but in 1793 they were put on sale. Today the whole structure is in the possession of the municipality. The church has two portals, this one at the western facade is the larger ones. The carvings look so unweathered, that they may well be the result of a renovation.

Monsempron - Saint-Géraud

14 Apr 2020 118
The history of Monsempron (Mons-Sempronius) started, when in the 11th century Benedictine monks from Aurillac arrived and a priory, dependent from the abbey Saint-Géraud in Aurillac. The priory dominating the confluence of Lémance and Lot developed into a kind of fortified monastic town, that later got surrounded by a village. The first church here may have been small and simple. The church seen today got erected in the second half of the 12th century.It got enlarged and modified later, the Romanesque choir got replaced by a larger Gothic one (right). The secularisation of the Aurillac abbey ended the Benedictine life here, is in 1561 the priory was taken over by a chapter of canons. In 1632 the Lord of Fumel bought the office of prior of Monsempron for his underaged son. Léon de Saulx de Tavannes, prior from 1710 on, resided in Paris. All these priors were just interested in the revenue of the priory. The chapter got dissolved in 1790. Parts of the buildings were used by the municipality, but in 1793 they were put on sale. Today the whole structure is in the possession of the municipality. Behind the scaffolding are some nice, intricate Romanesque carvings.

Monsempron - Saint-Géraud

14 Apr 2020 117
The history of Monsempron (Mons-Sempronius) started, when in the 11th century Benedictine monks from Aurillac arrived and a priory, dependent from the abbey Saint-Géraud in Aurillac. The priory dominating the confluence of Lémance and Lot developed into a kind of fortified monastic town, that later got surrounded by a village. The first church here may have been small and simple. The church seen today got erected in the second half of the 12th century.It got enlarged and modified later, the Romanesque choir got replaced by a larger Gothic one (right). The secularisation of the Aurillac abbey ended the Benedictine life here, is in 1561 the priory was taken over by a chapter of canons. In 1632 the Lord of Fumel bought the office of prior of Monsempron for his underaged son. Léon de Saulx de Tavannes, prior from 1710 on, resided in Paris. All these priors were just interested in the revenue of the priory. The chapter got dissolved in 1790. Parts of the buildings were used by the municipality, but in 1793 they were put on sale. By now the whole structure, including the "château prieural", the centre of the former priory is owned by the municipality.

Monsempron - Saint-Géraud

14 Apr 2020 2 158
The history of Monsempron (Mons-Sempronius) started, when in the 11th century Benedictine monks from Aurillac arrived and a priory, dependent from the abbey Saint-Géraud in Aurillac. The priory dominating the confluence of Lémance and Lot developed into a kind of fortified monastic town, that later got surrounded by a village. The first church here may have been small and simple. The church seen today got erected in the second half of the 12th century. It got enlarged and modified in the 16th and 17th century, The secularisation of the Aurillac abbey ended the Benedictine life here, is in 1561 the priory was taken over by a chapter of canons. In 1632 the Lord of Fumel bought the office of prior of Monsempron for his underaged son. Léon de Saulx de Tavannes, prior from 1710 on, resided in Paris. All these priors were just interested in the revenue of the priory. The chapter got dissolved in 1790. Part of the buildings were used by the municipality, but in 1793 they were put on sale. By now the whole structure, including the "château prieural", the centre of the former priory.

Lempdes-sur-Allagnon

07 Jul 2010 151
The interior of the Église Saint-Géraud. Most light coming in from the enlarged (?) transept and the window in the choir. A wide nave and very narrow aisle to the right. The rear end, from where the photo was taken, seems to have been modified a bit, the barrel vaulted nave and the choir seem unchanged. Some interesting carved romanesque capitals are on the pillars near the choir.

Lempdes-sur-Allagnon

10 Jul 2010 178
One of the capitals in the romanesque Église Saint-Géraud in Lempdes-sur-Allagnon, shows this smiling colourful mermaid. She looks so different from the mermaids I found sofar. Just small addons to her feet make clear that there are fins. On the right a bearded face. There is an article on mermaids in Ireland, titled "Lusty Ladies" . Maybe she is a "Lusty Lady". It was so dark in this corner of the church, that I used a little torchlite. Here is the article: homepage.eircom.net/~archaeology/three/mermaid.htm Here is the

Lempdes-sur-Allagnon

10 Jul 2010 145
One of the capitals near the choir in the dark romanesque Église Saint-Géraud in Lempdes-sur-Allagnon, shows this two bearded mermen. They are accompanied by a mermaid on another capital. Sorry for the bad quality of the photo. I hate to use the flashlite within churches.