Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Marcel Durliat

Regensburg - Schottenkloster St. Jakob

24 Jan 2013 212
A Benedictian monastery was founded by Hiberno-Scottish monks in Regensburg already around 1070. Soon after, the convent moved to a place just outside the city walls and in started to erect first buildings. The first church, consecrated in 1120, was of such a poor workmanship, that the convent decided to tear it down (except one apse and the flanking towers) and restart the process. The church of today was completed before 1200. It is one of the most important Romanesque structures in Bavaria. The abbey was a hub for the Irish/Scottish mission to central Europe. Daughter establishments of St. Jakob were founded in Vienna (1155), Erfurt (1136), Wuerzburg (1138), Nuremberg (1140), Constance (1142), Eichstaett (1148), Memmingen (1178), Kiev (!) (late 12th century) and Kelheim (13th century). WHile the first monks and abbots were Irish, the Scottish period started after the Reformation with Scottish abbot Ninian Vincet (1577-1592). A century later Scottish priests were educated here to do missionary work back in Scotland. Abbot Benedikt Aburthnot (1737-1820) could avoid the secularisation in 1802 by making clear, that the monastery was a Scottish (not at all Bavarian!) national treasure. It took upto 1814 to incorporate the Scottish monastery into the Bavarian sovereignty. Monastic life finally ended here in 1862, when the buildings were taken over by the bishop, who 10 years later founded a still existing seminary here. The northern portal ("Schottenportal") is one of the most important (and largest) Romanesque works of art in Germany. It occupies a third of the church´s northern wall and is divided into thirds both horizontally and vertically, plus a small frieze that tops the central arch (the vertical center). While most authors reckon, that Irish masters created this portal, Marcel Durliat sees parallels to works in Northern Italy, created by the Comacine masters ("Magistri Comacini"). He even connects this portal to the carvings in Linden and Remagen. The interpretation of such a large and cryptic portal has been controversial since the beginning, what means the 19th century, as only since then Romanesque carvings were seen as works of art (mostly). There was even a theory claiming that such a carving could not have been done during the 12th/13th century, and that it probably was added to the church later. The time of origin is not disputed any longer, but the meaning of figures and symbols. Richard Strobel ("Romanik in Altbayern") has no hard facts, but found out, that left (eastern) side stands for the "Good", while the right side stands for the "Evil". This meanwhile is undisputed. A detail from the rigt side. As seen on the previous shot: the crocodile and the hydrus (snake), what may stand as a symbol of the resurrection of Christ. Following the story from the Physiologus, the crocodile rolls the hydrus in mud, before eating it. Once inside the crocodile's stomach, the hydrus would burst free - and kill the crocodile "from inside". Below these two mythical creatures, and so probably in the hell´s lowest level are three persons/souls - and a (weathered) mermaid. The trio is well dressed, has short hair (tonsure?) and holds books. So they may be well educated monks, but obviously they followed the mermaid into a sinful life - and so their souls ended here. In front a weathered lion. The lion´s paws rest on the shoulders of a small human. He will be devoured by the lion within short.

Regensburg - Schottenkloster St. Jakob

23 Jan 2013 1 1 227
A Benedictian monastery was founded by Hiberno-Scottish monks in Regensburg already around 1070. Soon after, the convent moved to a place just outside the city walls and in started to erect first buildings. The first church, consecrated in 1120, was of such a poor workmanship, that the convent decided to tear it down (except one apse and the flanking towers) and restart the process. The church of today was completed before 1200. It is one of the most important Romanesque structures in Bavaria. The abbey was a hub for the Irish/Scottish mission to central Europe. Daughter establishments of St. Jakob were founded in Vienna (1155), Erfurt (1136), Wuerzburg (1138), Nuremberg (1140), Constance (1142), Eichstaett (1148), Memmingen (1178), Kiev (!) (late 12th century) and Kelheim (13th century). WHile the first monks and abbots were Irish, the Scottish period started after the Reformation with Scottish abbot Ninian Vincet (1577-1592). A century later Scottish priests were educated here to do missionary work back in Scotland. Abbot Benedikt Aburthnot (1737-1820) could avoid the secularisation in 1802 by making clear, that the monastery was a Scottish (not at all Bavarian!) national treasure. It took upto 1814 to incorporate the Scottish monastery into the Bavarian sovereignty. Monastic life finally ended here in 1862, when the buildings were taken over by the bishop, who 10 years later founded a still existing seminary here. The northern portal ("Schottenportal") is one of the most important (and largest) Romanesque works of art in Germany. It occupies a third of the church´s northern wall and is divided into thirds both horizontally and vertically, plus a small frieze that tops the central arch (the vertical center). While most authors reckon, that Irish masters created this portal, Marcel Durliat sees parallels to works in Northern Italy, created by the Comacine masters ("Magistri Comacini"). He even connects this portal to the carvings in Linden and Remagen. The interpretation of such a large and cryptic portal has been controversial since the beginning, what means the 19th century, as only since then Romanesque carvings were seen as works of art (mostly). There was even a theory claiming that such a carving could not have been done during the 12th/13th century, and that it probably was added to the church later. The time of origin is not disputed any longer, but the meaning of figures and symbols. Richard Strobel ("Romanik in Altbayern") has no hard facts, but found out, that left (eastern) side stands for the "Good", while the right side stands for the "Evil". This meanwhile is undisputed. Seen on the previous upload was the left side, here is the rightside. Where three human heads (and a ball) under the arches were left, here are four animal heads (probably lions). If the figures on the left stand for virtues, these figures may stand for vices. Three of these caryatids are men (have beards), one is a woman. The lady holds two snakes - and is widely interpreted as a Luxuria, a symbol of evil lust. I have seen many Luxurias, all of them were nude, breastfeeding snakes or toads, so I doubt that interpretation, but cannot offer any other.. I will upload a close up of the "Luxuria" next.

Regensburg - Schottenkloster St. Jakob

22 Jan 2013 227
A Benedictian monastery was founded by Hiberno-Scottish monks in Regensburg already around 1070. Soon after, the convent moved to a place just outside the city walls and in started to erect first buildings. The first church, consecrated in 1120, was of such a poor workmanship, that the convent decided to tear it down (except one apse and the flanking towers) and restart the process. The church of today was completed before 1200. It is one of the most important Romanesque structures in Bavaria. The abbey was a hub for the Irish/Scottish mission to central Europe. Daughter establishments of St. Jakob were founded in Vienna (1155), Erfurt (1136), Wuerzburg (1138), Nuremberg (1140), Constance (1142), Eichstaett (1148), Memmingen (1178), Kiev (!) (late 12th century) and Kelheim (13th century). WHile the first monks and abbots were Irish, the Scottish period started after the Reformation with Scottish abbot Ninian Vincet (1577-1592). A century later Scottish priests were educated here to do missionary work back in Scotland. Abbot Benedikt Aburthnot (1737-1820) could avoid the secularisation in 1802 by making clear, that the monastery was a Scottish (not at all Bavarian!) national treasure. It took upto 1814 to incorporate the Scottish monastery into the Bavarian sovereignty. Monastic life finally ended here in 1862, when the buildings were taken over by the bishop, who 10 years later founded a still existing seminary here. The northern portal ("Schottenportal") is one of the most important (and largest) Romanesque works of art in Germany. It occupies a third of the church´s northern wall and is divided into thirds both horizontally and vertically, plus a small frieze that tops the central arch (the vertical center). While most authors reckon, that Irish masters created this portal, Marcel Durliat sees parallels to works in Northern Italy, created by the Comacine masters ("Magistri Comacini"). He even connects this portal to the carvings in Linden and Remagen. I doubt that.. Multiple semicircular archivolts form the arch, below the frieze, just seen. The tympanum depicts Christ in a blessing gesture flanked by Saint James and Saint John, who holds up an open bible. The entrance is guarded by a pride of lions. Five male lions are on the pillars to the right, five female lions are on the pillars to the left.

Regensburg - Schottenkloster St. Jakob

21 Jan 2013 208
A Benedictian monastery was founded by Hiberno-Scottish monks in Regensburg already around 1070. Soon after, the convent moved to a place just outside the city walls and in started to erect first buildings. The first church, consecrated in 1120, was of such a poor workmanship, that the convent decided to tear it down (except one apse and the flanking towers) and restart the process. The church of today was completed before 1200. It is one of the most important Romanesque structures in Bavaria. The abbey was a hub for the Irish/Scottish mission to central Europe. Daughter establishments of St. Jakob were founded in Vienna (1155), Erfurt (1136), Wuerzburg (1138), Nuremberg (1140), Constance (1142), Eichstaett (1148), Memmingen (1178), Kiev (!) (late 12th century) and Kelheim (13th century). WHile the first monks and abbots were Irish, the Scottish period started after the Reformation with Scottish abbot Ninian Vincet (1577-1592). A century later Scottish priests were educated here to do missionary work back in Scotland. Abbot Benedikt Aburthnot (1737-1820) could avoid the secularisation in 1802 by making clear, that the monastery was a Scottish (not at all Bavarian!) national treasure. It took upto 1814 to incorporate the Scottish monastery into the Bavarian sovereignty. Monastic life finally ended here in 1862, when the buildings were taken over by the bishop, who 10 years later founded a still existing seminary here. The northern portal ("Schottenportal") is one of the most important (and largest) Romanesque works of art in Germany. It occupies about a third of the church´s northern wall and is divided into thirds both horizontally and vertically, plus a small frieze that tops the central arch (the vertical center). While most authors reckon, that Irish masters created this portal, Marcel Durliat sees parallels to works in Northern Italy, created by the Comacine masters ("Magistri Comacini"). He even connects this portal to the carvings in Linden and Remagen. I doubt that.. The dimensions of the protective glass pavillion (and the limited features if my camera) made it impossible to get the portal "in toto" on one picture. The previous shot was done from the right, this one was done frm the left side of the portal.

Regensburg - Schottenkloster St. Jakob

23 Jan 2013 216
A Benedictian monastery was founded by Hiberno-Scottish monks in Regensburg already around 1070. Soon after, the convent moved to a place just outside the city walls and in started to erect first buildings. The first church, consecrated in 1120, was of such a poor workmanship, that the convent decided to tear it down (except one apse and the flanking towers) and restart the process. The church of today was completed before 1200. It is one of the most important Romanesque structures in Bavaria. The abbey was a hub for the Irish/Scottish mission to central Europe. Daughter establishments of St. Jakob were founded in Vienna (1155), Erfurt (1136), Wuerzburg (1138), Nuremberg (1140), Constance (1142), Eichstaett (1148), Memmingen (1178), Kiev (!) (late 12th century) and Kelheim (13th century). WHile the first monks and abbots were Irish, the Scottish period started after the Reformation with Scottish abbot Ninian Vincet (1577-1592). A century later Scottish priests were educated here to do missionary work back in Scotland. Abbot Benedikt Aburthnot (1737-1820) could avoid the secularisation in 1802 by making clear, that the monastery was a Scottish (not at all Bavarian!) national treasure. It took upto 1814 to incorporate the Scottish monastery into the Bavarian sovereignty. Monastic life finally ended here in 1862, when the buildings were taken over by the bishop, who 10 years later founded a still existing seminary here. The northern portal ("Schottenportal") is one of the most important (and largest) Romanesque works of art in Germany. It occupies a third of the church´s northern wall and is divided into thirds both horizontally and vertically, plus a small frieze that tops the central arch (the vertical center). While most authors reckon, that Irish masters created this portal, Marcel Durliat sees parallels to works in Northern Italy, created by the Comacine masters ("Magistri Comacini"). He even connects this portal to the carvings in Linden and Remagen. The interpretation of such a large and cryptic portal has been controversial since the beginning, what means the 19th century, as only since then Romanesque carvings were seen as works of art (mostly). There was even a theory claiming that such a carving could not have been done during the 12th/13th century, and that it probably was added to the church later. The time of origin is not disputed any longer, but the meaning of figures and symbols. Richard Strobel ("Romanik in Altbayern") has no hard facts, but found out, that left (eastern) side stands for the "Good", while the right side stands for the "Evil". This meanwhile is undisputed. This is another detail the from the left side. This is the couple right of the Virgin (see Jesus´ head and hand). At first I saw a beard-puller, but that is totally wrong. The close-up shows a loving couple in a very intimate gesture (for that time!). While she fingers the back of his neck, he strokes her under the chin.

Regensburg - Schottenkloster St. Jakob

23 Jan 2013 235
A Benedictian monastery was founded by Hiberno-Scottish monks in Regensburg already around 1070. Soon after, the convent moved to a place just outside the city walls and in started to erect first buildings. The first church, consecrated in 1120, was of such a poor workmanship, that the convent decided to tear it down (except one apse and the flanking towers) and restart the process. The church of today was completed before 1200. It is one of the most important Romanesque structures in Bavaria. The abbey was a hub for the Irish/Scottish mission to central Europe. Daughter establishments of St. Jakob were founded in Vienna (1155), Erfurt (1136), Wuerzburg (1138), Nuremberg (1140), Constance (1142), Eichstaett (1148), Memmingen (1178), Kiev (!) (late 12th century) and Kelheim (13th century). WHile the first monks and abbots were Irish, the Scottish period started after the Reformation with Scottish abbot Ninian Vincet (1577-1592). A century later Scottish priests were educated here to do missionary work back in Scotland. Abbot Benedikt Aburthnot (1737-1820) could avoid the secularisation in 1802 by making clear, that the monastery was a Scottish (not at all Bavarian!) national treasure. It took upto 1814 to incorporate the Scottish monastery into the Bavarian sovereignty. Monastic life finally ended here in 1862, when the buildings were taken over by the bishop, who 10 years later founded a still existing seminary here. The northern portal ("Schottenportal") is one of the most important (and largest) Romanesque works of art in Germany. It occupies a third of the church´s northern wall and is divided into thirds both horizontally and vertically, plus a small frieze that tops the central arch (the vertical center). While most authors reckon, that Irish masters created this portal, Marcel Durliat sees parallels to works in Northern Italy, created by the Comacine masters ("Magistri Comacini"). He even connects this portal to the carvings in Linden and Remagen. The interpretation of such a large and cryptic portal has been controversial since the beginning, what means the 19th century, as only since then Romanesque carvings were seen as works of art (mostly). There was even a theory claiming that such a carving could not have been done during the 12th/13th century, and that it probably was added to the church later. The time of origin is not disputed any longer, but the meaning of figures and symbols. Richard Strobel ("Romanik in Altbayern") has no hard facts, but found out, that left (eastern) side stands for the "Good", while the right side stands for the "Evil". This meanwhile is undisputed. This is the largest "third" of the left side. In the center a (headless) Virgin, having Christ on her lap. She holds an apple in her hand, a symbol of the "New Eve". The Virgin flanked by two mythical pairs. The left couple seems to be floating. The right person is bearded and wears two braids.The couple to the right seems to be in a beardpulling gesture, but is not. The left person is female (long braids) - and her husband (beard) obviously strokes her under the chin. Above them are (under the arches) two dogs - not three. Below them a large winged dragon, devouring a lion. In the center, below the dragon is a mermaids (note the tails), placed on a very weathered lion - and to the right another person riding a weathered lion.

Regensburg - Schottenkloster St. Jakob

24 Jan 2013 189
A Benedictian monastery was founded by Hiberno-Scottish monks in Regensburg already around 1070. Soon after, the convent moved to a place just outside the city walls and in started to erect first buildings. The first church, consecrated in 1120, was of such a poor workmanship, that the convent decided to tear it down (except one apse and the flanking towers) and restart the process. The church of today was completed before 1200. It is one of the most important Romanesque structures in Bavaria. The abbey was a hub for the Irish/Scottish mission to central Europe. Daughter establishments of St. Jakob were founded in Vienna (1155), Erfurt (1136), Wuerzburg (1138), Nuremberg (1140), Constance (1142), Eichstaett (1148), Memmingen (1178), Kiev (!) (late 12th century) and Kelheim (13th century). While the first monks and abbots were Irish, the Scottish period started after the Reformation with Scottish abbot Ninian Vincet (1577-1592). A century later Scottish priests were educated here to do missionary work back in Scotland. Abbot Benedikt Aburthnot (1737-1820) could avoid the secularisation in 1802 by making clear, that the monastery was a Scottish (not at all Bavarian!) national treasure. It took upto 1814 to incorporate the Scottish monastery into the Bavarian sovereignty. Monastic life finally ended here in 1862, when the buildings were taken over by the bishop, who 10 years later founded a still existing seminary here. The northern portal ("Schottenportal") is one of the most important (and largest) Romanesque works of art in Germany. It occupies a third of the churchÂŽs northern wall and is divided into thirds both horizontally and vertically, plus a small frieze that tops the central arch (the vertical center). While most authors reckon, that Irish masters created this portal, Marcel Durliat sees parallels to works in Northern Italy, created by the Comacine masters ("Magistri Comacini"). He even connects this portal to the carvings in Linden and Remagen. The interpretation of such a large and cryptic portal has been controversial since the beginning, what means the 19th century, as only since then Romanesque carvings were seen as works of art (mostly). There was even a theory claiming that such a carving could not have been done during the 12th/13th century, and that it probably was added to the church later. The time of origin is not disputed any longer, but the meaning of figures and symbols. Richard Strobel ("Romanik in Altbayern") has no hard facts, but found out, that left (eastern) side stands for the "Good", while the right side stands for the "Evil". This meanwhile is undisputed. A detail from the right (evil) side. This is a close up of the strange quadruped animal left to the Antichrist. It has a kind of mane and a beak-like mouth. I had the impression, that this may be a chimare, but I learned from Ray, that this is probably an assirian griffin. See below..

Regensburg - Schottenkloster St. Jakob

22 Jan 2013 235
A Benedictian monastery was founded by Hiberno-Scottish monks in Regensburg already around 1070. Soon after, the convent moved to a place just outside the city walls and in started to erect first buildings. The first church, consecrated in 1120, was of such a poor workmanship, that the convent decided to tear it down (except one apse and the flanking towers) and restart the process. The church of today was completed before 1200. It is one of the most important Romanesque structures in Bavaria. The abbey was a hub for the Irish/Scottish mission to central Europe. Daughter establishments of St. Jakob were founded in Vienna (1155), Erfurt (1136), Wuerzburg (1138), Nuremberg (1140), Constance (1142), Eichstaett (1148), Memmingen (1178), Kiev (!) (late 12th century) and Kelheim (13th century). WHile the first monks and abbots were Irish, the Scottish period started after the Reformation with Scottish abbot Ninian Vincet (1577-1592). A century later Scottish priests were educated here to do missionary work back in Scotland. Abbot Benedikt Aburthnot (1737-1820) could avoid the secularisation in 1802 by making clear, that the monastery was a Scottish (not at all Bavarian!) national treasure. It took upto 1814 to incorporate the Scottish monastery into the Bavarian sovereignty. Monastic life finally ended here in 1862, when the buildings were taken over by the bishop, who 10 years later founded a still existing seminary here. The northern portal ("Schottenportal") is one of the most important (and largest) Romanesque works of art in Germany. It occupies a third of the church´s northern wall and is divided into thirds both horizontally and vertically, plus a small frieze that tops the central arch (the vertical center). While most authors reckon, that Irish masters created this portal, Marcel Durliat sees parallels to works in Northern Italy, created by the Comacine masters ("Magistri Comacini"). He even connects this portal to the carvings in Linden and Remagen. I doubt that.. The right side of the center has five snarling, fierce looking male lions, all having manes. The pillars are elaborately decorated with foliage. The middle-pillar has a bird, pecking grapes, just under the capital, from where a person looks down. There are three persons seen between the pillars (on their knees). The left one may be an acrobat, the middle, bearded one is a musician, playing a small string instrument. The right one, dressed in a kind of cape, holds his hands on his stomach.

Regensburg - Schottenkloster St. Jakob

23 Jan 2013 181
A Benedictian monastery was founded by Hiberno-Scottish monks in Regensburg already around 1070. Soon after, the convent moved to a place just outside the city walls and in started to erect first buildings. The first church, consecrated in 1120, was of such a poor workmanship, that the convent decided to tear it down (except one apse and the flanking towers) and restart the process. The church of today was completed before 1200. It is one of the most important Romanesque structures in Bavaria. The abbey was a hub for the Irish/Scottish mission to central Europe. Daughter establishments of St. Jakob were founded in Vienna (1155), Erfurt (1136), Wuerzburg (1138), Nuremberg (1140), Constance (1142), Eichstaett (1148), Memmingen (1178), Kiev (!) (late 12th century) and Kelheim (13th century). WHile the first monks and abbots were Irish, the Scottish period started after the Reformation with Scottish abbot Ninian Vincet (1577-1592). A century later Scottish priests were educated here to do missionary work back in Scotland. Abbot Benedikt Aburthnot (1737-1820) could avoid the secularisation in 1802 by making clear, that the monastery was a Scottish (not at all Bavarian!) national treasure. It took upto 1814 to incorporate the Scottish monastery into the Bavarian sovereignty. Monastic life finally ended here in 1862, when the buildings were taken over by the bishop, who 10 years later founded a still existing seminary here. The northern portal ("Schottenportal") is one of the most important (and largest) Romanesque works of art in Germany. It occupies a third of the church´s northern wall and is divided into thirds both horizontally and vertically, plus a small frieze that tops the central arch (the vertical center). While most authors reckon, that Irish masters created this portal, Marcel Durliat sees parallels to works in Northern Italy, created by the Comacine masters ("Magistri Comacini"). He even connects this portal to the carvings in Linden and Remagen. I doubt that.. The interpretation of such a large and cryptic portal has been controversial since the beginning, what means the 19th century, as only since then Romanesque carvings were seen as works of art (mostly). There was even a theory claiming that such a carving could not have been done during the 12th/13th century, and that it probably was added to the church later. The time of origin is not disputed any longer, but the meaning of figures and symbols. Richard Strobel ("Romanik in Altbayern") has no hard facts, but found out, that left (eastern) side stands for the "Good", while the right side stands for the "Evil". This meanwhile is undisputed. This is from the left side - and the figures may stand for virtues. The remind me on early drawings of native Americans, but that can´t be. Note the three human heads under the arches. They all have very curly hair and seem to be more "vivid", than the stoic looking caryatids below them. Next upload will have the same position of the right side.

Regensburg - Schottenkloster St. Jakob

23 Jan 2013 216
A Benedictian monastery was founded by Hiberno-Scottish monks in Regensburg already around 1070. Soon after, the convent moved to a place just outside the city walls and in started to erect first buildings. The first church, consecrated in 1120, was of such a poor workmanship, that the convent decided to tear it down (except one apse and the flanking towers) and restart the process. The church of today was completed before 1200. It is one of the most important Romanesque structures in Bavaria. The abbey was a hub for the Irish/Scottish mission to central Europe. Daughter establishments of St. Jakob were founded in Vienna (1155), Erfurt (1136), Wuerzburg (1138), Nuremberg (1140), Constance (1142), Eichstaett (1148), Memmingen (1178), Kiev (!) (late 12th century) and Kelheim (13th century). WHile the first monks and abbots were Irish, the Scottish period started after the Reformation with Scottish abbot Ninian Vincet (1577-1592). A century later Scottish priests were educated here to do missionary work back in Scotland. Abbot Benedikt Aburthnot (1737-1820) could avoid the secularisation in 1802 by making clear, that the monastery was a Scottish (not at all Bavarian!) national treasure. It took upto 1814 to incorporate the Scottish monastery into the Bavarian sovereignty. Monastic life finally ended here in 1862, when the buildings were taken over by the bishop, who 10 years later founded a still existing seminary here. The northern portal ("Schottenportal") is one of the most important (and largest) Romanesque works of art in Germany. It occupies a third of the church´s northern wall and is divided into thirds both horizontally and vertically, plus a small frieze that tops the central arch (the vertical center). While most authors reckon, that Irish masters created this portal, Marcel Durliat sees parallels to works in Northern Italy, created by the Comacine masters ("Magistri Comacini"). He even connects this portal to the carvings in Linden and Remagen. The interpretation of such a large and cryptic portal has been controversial since the beginning, what means the 19th century, as only since then Romanesque carvings were seen as works of art (mostly). There was even a theory claiming that such a carving could not have been done during the 12th/13th century, and that it probably was added to the church later. The time of origin is not disputed any longer, but the meaning of figures and symbols. Richard Strobel ("Romanik in Altbayern") has no hard facts, but found out, that left (eastern) side stands for the "Good", while the right side stands for the "Evil". This meanwhile is undisputed. This is a detail the from largest "third" of the left side. A close up of the huge winged dragon, devouring a lion/dog. Below the dragon is a mermaid, sitting on a very weathered lion.

Regensburg - Schottenkloster St. Jakob

21 Jan 2013 154
A Benedictian monastery was founded by Hiberno-Scottish monks in Regensburg already around 1070. Soon after, the convent moved to a place just outside the city walls and in started to erect first buildings. The first church, consecrated in 1120, was of such a poor workmanship, that the convent decided to tear it down (except one apse and the flanking towers) and restart the process. The church of today was completed before 1200. It is one of the most important Romanesque structures in Bavaria. The abbey was a hub for the Irish/Scottish mission to central Europe. Daughter establishments of St. Jakob were founded in Vienna (1155), Erfurt (1136), Wuerzburg (1138), Nuremberg (1140), Constance (1142), Eichstaett (1148), Memmingen (1178), Kiev (!) (late 12th century) and Kelheim (13th century). WHile the first monks and abbots were Irish, the Scottish period started after the Reformation with Scottish abbot Ninian Vincet (1577-1592). A century later Scottish priests were educated here to do missionary work back in Scotland. Abbot Benedikt Aburthnot (1737-1820) could avoid the secularisation in 1802 by making clear, that the monastery was a Scottish (not at all Bavarian!) national treasure. It took upto 1814 to incorporate the Scottish monastery into the Bavarian sovereignty. Monastic life finally ended here in 1862, when the buildings were taken over by the bishop, who 10 years later founded a still existing seminary here. The northern portal ("Schottenportal") is one of the most important (and largest) Romanesque works of art in Germany. It occupies about a third of the church´s northern wall and is divided into thirds both horizontally and vertically, plus a small frieze that tops the central arch (the vertical center). While most authors reckon, that Irish masters created this portal, Marcel Durliat sees parallels to works in Northern Italy, created by the Comacine masters ("Magistri Comacini"). He even connects this portal to the carvings in Linden and Remagen. I doubt that.. The dimensions of the protective glass pavillion (and the limited features if my camera) made it impossible to get the portal "in toto" on one picture. For the previous shot I had left the pavillion. This now is the portal seen from right. The next upload will be - the portal seen from the left.

Regensburg - Schottenkloster St. Jakob

25 Jan 2013 219
A Benedictian monastery was founded by Hiberno-Scottish monks in Regensburg already around 1070. Soon after, the convent moved to a place just outside the city walls and in started to erect first buildings. The first church, consecrated in 1120, was of such a poor workmanship, that the convent decided to tear it down (except one apse and the flanking towers) and restart the process. The church of today was completed before 1200. It is one of the most important Romanesque structures in Bavaria. The abbey was a hub for the Irish/Scottish mission to central Europe. Daughter establishments of St. Jakob were founded in Vienna (1155), Erfurt (1136), Wuerzburg (1138), Nuremberg (1140), Constance (1142), Eichstaett (1148), Memmingen (1178), Kiev (!) (late 12th century) and Kelheim (13th century). While the first monks and abbots were Irish, the Scottish period started after the Reformation with Scottish abbot Ninian Vincet (1577-1592). A century later Scottish priests were educated here to do missionary work back in Scotland. Abbot Benedikt Aburthnot (1737-1820) could avoid the secularisation in 1802 by making clear, that the monastery was a Scottish (not at all Bavarian!) national treasure. It took upto 1814 to incorporate the Scottish monastery into the Bavarian sovereignty. Monastic life finally ended here in 1862, when the buildings were taken over by the bishop, who 10 years later founded a still existing seminary here. The northern portal ("Schottenportal") is one of the most important (and largest) Romanesque works of art in Germany. It occupies a third of the church´s northern wall and is divided into thirds both horizontally and vertically, plus a small frieze that tops the central arch (the vertical center). While most authors reckon, that Irish masters created this portal, Marcel Durliat sees parallels to works in Northern Italy, created by the Comacine masters ("Magistri Comacini"). He even connects this portal to the carvings in Linden and Remagen. The interpretation of such a large and cryptic portal has been controversial since the beginning, what means the 19th century, as only since then Romanesque carvings were seen as works of art (mostly). There was even a theory claiming that such a carving could not have been done during the 12th/13th century, and that it probably was added to the church later. The time of origin is not disputed any longer, but the meaning of figures and symbols. Richard Strobel ("Romanik in Altbayern") has no hard facts, but found out, that left (eastern) side stands for the "Good", while the right side stands for the "Evil". This meanwhile is undisputed. A detail from the right (evil) side. This is a close up of the dragon, right to the Antichrist. The two legged dragon is running fast - and devouring a human (soul) on the run. The fully dressed victim seems relaxed, holding an object in his hand.

Regensburg - Schottenkloster St. Jakob

22 Jan 2013 200
A Benedictian monastery was founded by Hiberno-Scottish monks in Regensburg already around 1070. Soon after, the convent moved to a place just outside the city walls and in started to erect first buildings. The first church, consecrated in 1120, was of such a poor workmanship, that the convent decided to tear it down (except one apse and the flanking towers) and restart the process. The church of today was completed before 1200. It is one of the most important Romanesque structures in Bavaria. The abbey was a hub for the Irish/Scottish mission to central Europe. Daughter establishments of St. Jakob were founded in Vienna (1155), Erfurt (1136), Wuerzburg (1138), Nuremberg (1140), Constance (1142), Eichstaett (1148), Memmingen (1178), Kiev (!) (late 12th century) and Kelheim (13th century). WHile the first monks and abbots were Irish, the Scottish period started after the Reformation with Scottish abbot Ninian Vincet (1577-1592). A century later Scottish priests were educated here to do missionary work back in Scotland. Abbot Benedikt Aburthnot (1737-1820) could avoid the secularisation in 1802 by making clear, that the monastery was a Scottish (not at all Bavarian!) national treasure. It took upto 1814 to incorporate the Scottish monastery into the Bavarian sovereignty. Monastic life finally ended here in 1862, when the buildings were taken over by the bishop, who 10 years later founded a still existing seminary here. The northern portal ("Schottenportal") is one of the most important (and largest) Romanesque works of art in Germany. It occupies a third of the church´s northern wall and is divided into thirds both horizontally and vertically, plus a small frieze that tops the central arch (the vertical center). While most authors reckon, that Irish masters created this portal, Marcel Durliat sees parallels to works in Northern Italy, created by the Comacine masters ("Magistri Comacini"). He even connects this portal to the carvings in Linden and Remagen. I doubt that.. While the right side, just seen, had snarling male lions, the left side has five female ones. The have no manes and cute, soft (humanoid?) faces. The pillars are (just like the opposite ones) elaborately decorated with foliage. Two human faces look out of the capital of the central one. The kneeling person to the right seems to hold a cup or bowl.

Angoulême - Cathédrale Saint-Pierre

13 Jan 2015 1 286
The Visigoths, who followed the arian version of Christianity, had built a cathedral here, dedicated to Saint-Saturnin. When Clovis took over the town, after his Frankish troops had beaten the Visigoths, led by Alaric II, in the Battle of Vouillé (507), he had the Visigothic church demolished to build a new one dedicated to Saint-Pierre and consecrated in 560. This church burnt down, when the Vikings (aka Normans) sacked the town mid of the 8th century. A third cathedral was constructed and was consecrated in 1017. At the beginning of the 12th century, when the pilgrimage to Santiago boomed, this existing church was considered too small and too "humble". The erection of the new, larger cathedral started in 1110 and was completed already in 1128. The church's original appearance was modified a couple of times later. The Wars of Religion caused great damage here, one of the towers got completely destroyed. The restorations of the 19th century, led by Paul Abadie, ended in many more alterations. He even added the two flanking towers with conical tops, what Marcel Durliat did not like at all. Paul Abadie later built Sacré-Cœur de Montmartre. His restorations are disputed, where ever he worked (eg Sainte-Croix (Bordeaux), Saint-Front (Périgueux). Most of his works seem "overrenovated", following his idea of a medieval structure.

Saint-Génis-des-Fontaines - Abbey

29 Apr 2013 288
Some Abbot Sentimir started to build an abbey here end of the 8th century. The abbey got looted and damaged by "heathens" (Marcel Durliat suspects Normans). From 981 on it was rebuilt by order of King Lothair of France, son of Louis IV of France (aka "Transmarinus"). The abbey slipped under the protection of the Counts of Roussillon and later of the Kings of Aragon. The church was enlarged and re-consecrated in 1153. Since 1088 the abbey was connected to Cluny in Burgundy. The abbey existed upto the French Revolution. The abbey church serves as a parish church "Saint Michel" since 1846. The facade of the fromer abbey church has a white marble lintel over doors of the former abbey church depicting a theophany. For Doyen Marcel Durliat, author of "Roussilion roman", this relief marks the begin of Romanesque sculpturing within the Roussilion. Thanks to an inscription on that lintel (see previous uploads) it is known, that it was carved in 1019. The interior is decorated with a couple of Baroque carvings, but there are Romanesque ones as well. This damaged capital (griffins) now supports the stoup, near the entrance doors. This is the only capital of this kind in Saint-Génis-des-Fontaines. The artist used the same material and worked in the same style, like the capitals in Serrabone, Saint-Michel-de-Cuxa and Villefranche-de-Conflent are carved in. It may come from the same workshop. P.S. Just read, that this capital MAY come from the cloister of the former abbey St-André-de-Sorède, just 4kms east.

Saint-Génis-des-Fontaines - Abbey

28 Apr 2013 1 206
Some Abbot Sentimir started to build an abbey here end of the 8th century. The abbey got looted and damaged by "heathens" (Marcel Durliat suspects Normans). From 981 on it was rebuilt by order of King Lothair of France, son of Louis IV of France (aka "Transmarinus"). The abbey slipped under the protection of the Counts of Roussillon and later of the Kings of Aragon. The church was enlarged and re-consecrated in 1153. Since 1088 the abbey was connected to Cluny in Burgundy. The abbey existed upto the French Revolution. The abbey church serves as a parish church "Saint Michel" since 1846. The relief of the white marble lintel over doors of the former abbey church depicts a theophany. For Doyen Marcel Durliat, author of "Roussilion roman", this relief marks the begin of Romanesque sculpturing within the Roussilion. Thanks to an inscription on that lintel (see previous uploads) it is known, that it was carved in 1019. There are four corbels around the lintel, that are younger (12th century). This head of an ape or monkey is one of them. There are a few similar heads in the area of Roussillion. Note that the carver used a driller at the eyes.

Regensburg - Schottenkloster St. Jakob

23 Jan 2013 255
A Benedictian monastery was founded by Hiberno-Scottish monks in Regensburg already around 1070. Soon after, the convent moved to a place just outside the city walls and in started to erect first buildings. The first church, consecrated in 1120, was of such a poor workmanship, that the convent decided to tear it down (except one apse and the flanking towers) and restart the process. The church of today was completed before 1200. It is one of the most important Romanesque structures in Bavaria. The abbey was a hub for the Irish/Scottish mission to central Europe. Daughter establishments of St. Jakob were founded in Vienna (1155), Erfurt (1136), Wuerzburg (1138), Nuremberg (1140), Constance (1142), Eichstaett (1148), Memmingen (1178), Kiev (!) (late 12th century) and Kelheim (13th century). WHile the first monks and abbots were Irish, the Scottish period started after the Reformation with Scottish abbot Ninian Vincet (1577-1592). A century later Scottish priests were educated here to do missionary work back in Scotland. Abbot Benedikt Aburthnot (1737-1820) could avoid the secularisation in 1802 by making clear, that the monastery was a Scottish (not at all Bavarian!) national treasure. It took upto 1814 to incorporate the Scottish monastery into the Bavarian sovereignty. Monastic life finally ended here in 1862, when the buildings were taken over by the bishop, who 10 years later founded a still existing seminary here. The northern portal ("Schottenportal") is one of the most important (and largest) Romanesque works of art in Germany. It occupies a third of the church´s northern wall and is divided into thirds both horizontally and vertically, plus a small frieze that tops the central arch (the vertical center). While most authors reckon, that Irish masters created this portal, Marcel Durliat sees parallels to works in Northern Italy, created by the Comacine masters ("Magistri Comacini"). He even connects this portal to the carvings in Linden and Remagen. The interpretation of such a large and cryptic portal has been controversial since the beginning, what means the 19th century, as only since then Romanesque carvings were seen as works of art (mostly). There was even a theory claiming that such a carving could not have been done during the 12th/13th century, and that it probably was added to the church later. The time of origin is not disputed any longer, but the meaning of figures and symbols. Richard Strobel ("Romanik in Altbayern") has no hard facts, but found out, that left (eastern) side stands for the "Good", while the right side stands for the "Evil". This meanwhile is undisputed. If the figures on the left stand for virtues, the figures on the right side stand for vices. This is a close up of the only woman on the right side, just seen. She holds two snakes - and is widely interpreted as a Luxuria, a symbol of evil lust. I have seen quite a couple Luxurias [ www.flickr.com/photos/martin-m-miles/sets/721576304409392... ]. All of them were nude, breastfeeding snakes or toads. This figure holds snakes, but is fully dressed - and has (like all others here) a very stoic facial expression.

Saint-Génis-des-Fontaines - Abbey

02 May 2013 1 306
Some Abbot Sentimir started to build an abbey here end of the 8th century. The abbey got looted and damaged by "heathens" (Marcel Durliat suspects Normans). From 981 on it was rebuilt by order of King Lothair of France, son of Louis IV of France (aka "Transmarinus"). The abbey slipped under the protection of the Counts of Roussillon and later of the Kings of Aragon. The church was enlarged and re-consecrated in 1153. Since 1088 the abbey was connected to Cluny in Burgundy. The facade of the fromer abbey church has a white marble lintel over doors of the former abbey church depicting a theophany. For Doyen Marcel Durliat, author of "Roussilion roman", this relief marks the begin of Romanesque sculpturing within the Roussilion. Thanks to an inscription on that lintel (see previous uploads) it is known, that it was carved in 1019. The Benedictian abbey existed upto the French Revolution, when the monks had to leave. The abbey church serves as a parish church "Saint Michel" since 1846. Of course, the abbey had a cloister. It was built on the foundation of an older one - and was completed in 1271. This cloister was sold after the French Revolution to new owners, who had built there homes (and stables) into the structure. Early 20th century some sly business men roamed the area looking for treasures. So - the polygonal fountain of the cloister was sold in 1913. Meanwhile the fountain can be admired in "The Cloisters" in New York. In 1924 some Paul Gouvert bought most of the cloister. Only one of the owners resisted. He had integrated the arcades into his living room. Mr. Gouvert must have had David Copperfield´s talents, as after a short while he gave two arcades (for free!) to the Louvre in Paris, sold one cloister to the Philadelphia Museum of Art and another one to the owner of a Renaissance chateau in Northern France. In 1982 the owner of the chateau sold the cloister back. It got dismantled and brought back, where it joined the arcades from the Louvre two years later. The arcades in Philadelphia now got copied and in 1986 two side were completed. Only the owner of the southern corner still resisted to cooperate. Finally in 1994 the restauration was completed and since then it is open to the public. I learned that by now only the former chapter-house of the abbey is still a private living room. The artistic style of the capitals is very rough (for mid 13th century), - the stories, symbols, icons are mystic. Obviously the many workshops having existed in the area (Saint-Michel-de-Cuxa, Espira-de-l'Agly, Elne, Villefranche-de-Conflent, Prieuré de Serrabone) a century ago, had given up business or moved on. Just like in nearby Elne (10kms) here are many mermaids. The maids seen here are way clumsier than their slender relatives in Elne. But just like them, they have attracted vandals. The relationship between mermaids and vandals is not yet fully researched. Didn´t Sigmund Freud, the father of psychoanalysis, say anything about that? This one was pretty lucky, as only the nose got lost. It paid, to wear a protective helmet!

19 items in total