Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: William of Gellone
Ewenny Priory
02 Dec 2024 |
|
All medieval knights had to overcome a difficult hurdle. How, after a lifetime of bloody slaughters and brutal rapes should they escape the fires of hell? One of the first knights who found the highway to heaven was Charlemagne´s kinsman William of Gellone, who founded the monastery of Gellone, became a monk and was canonized a saint in 1066.
Ewenny Priory was founded by the Norman knight Maurice de Londres in 1141 . Maurice granted the church to the abbey of St. Peter at Gloucester together with the church of St Brides Major and the chapel at Ogmore "in order that a convent of monks might be formed".
There had been an older, monastic cell. It is described in the 12th century Book of Llandaff as dedicated to Eguenni, an early Welsh saint. De Londres plundered the site with the intent of building a castle on it but was stopped by a decree from Pope Honorius II in 1128 which threatened the knight with excommunication. The new priory was unusual in having extensive military-style defences.
The priory was badly damaged during the rebellion of Owain Glyndŵr in the early 15th century. When King Henry VIII introduced the Reformation, only the prior and two monks remained here. It was dissolved in 1540. In 1545 the priory was sold. Parts of the convent buildings were converted into a manor house, while other parts were demolished. The eastern part of the church remained unused and fell into disrepair after the dissolution of the priory. The nave, however, was used as a parish church.
A horse or donkey, a bearded man - and something else
Ewenny Priory
02 Dec 2024 |
|
|
All medieval knights had to overcome a difficult hurdle. How, after a lifetime of bloody slaughters and brutal rapes should they escape the fires of hell? One of the first knights who found the highway to heaven was Charlemagne´s kinsman William of Gellone, who founded the monastery of Gellone, became a monk and was canonized a saint in 1066.
Ewenny Priory was founded by the Norman knight Maurice de Londres in 1141 . Maurice granted the church to the abbey of St. Peter at Gloucester together with the church of St Brides Major and the chapel at Ogmore "in order that a convent of monks might be formed".
There had been an older, monastic cell. It is described in the 12th century Book of Llandaff as dedicated to Eguenni, an early Welsh saint. De Londres plundered the site with the intent of building a castle on it but was stopped by a decree from Pope Honorius II in 1128 which threatened the knight with excommunication. The new priory was unusual in having extensive military-style defences.
The priory was badly damaged during the rebellion of Owain Glyndŵr in the early 15th century. When King Henry VIII introduced the Reformation, only the prior and two monks remained here. It was dissolved in 1540. In 1545 the priory was sold. Parts of the convent buildings were converted into a manor house, while other parts were demolished. The eastern part of the church remained unused and fell into disrepair after the dissolution of the priory. The nave, however, was used as a parish church.
Ewenny Priory
02 Dec 2024 |
|
|
All medieval knights had to overcome a difficult hurdle. How, after a lifetime of bloody slaughters and brutal rapes should they escape the fires of hell? One of the first knights who found the highway to heaven was Charlemagne´s kinsman William of Gellone, who founded the monastery of Gellone, became a monk and was canonized a saint in 1066.
Ewenny Priory was founded by the Norman knight Maurice de Londres in 1141 . Maurice granted the church to the abbey of St. Peter at Gloucester together with the church of St Brides Major and the chapel at Ogmore "in order that a convent of monks might be formed".
There had been an older, monastic cell. It is described in the 12th century Book of Llandaff as dedicated to Eguenni, an early Welsh saint. De Londres plundered the site with the intent of building a castle on it but was stopped by a decree from Pope Honorius II in 1128 which threatened the knight with excommunication. The new priory was unusual in having extensive military-style defences.
The priory was badly damaged during the rebellion of Owain Glyndŵr in the early 15th century. When King Henry VIII introduced the Reformation, only the prior and two monks remained here. It was dissolved in 1540. In 1545 the priory was sold. Parts of the convent buildings were converted into a manor house, while other parts were demolished. The eastern part of the church remained unused and fell into disrepair after the dissolution of the priory. The nave, however, was used as a parish church.
Probably a part of the former stalls
Ewenny Priory
02 Dec 2024 |
|
All medieval knights had to overcome a difficult hurdle. How, after a lifetime of bloody slaughters and brutal rapes should they escape the fires of hell? One of the first knights who found the highway to heaven was Charlemagne´s kinsman William of Gellone, who founded the monastery of Gellone, became a monk and was canonized a saint in 1066.
Ewenny Priory was founded by the Norman knight Maurice de Londres in 1141 . Maurice granted the church to the abbey of St. Peter at Gloucester together with the church of St Brides Major and the chapel at Ogmore "in order that a convent of monks might be formed".
There had been an older, monastic cell. It is described in the 12th century Book of Llandaff as dedicated to Eguenni, an early Welsh saint. De Londres plundered the site with the intent of building a castle on it but was stopped by a decree from Pope Honorius II in 1128 which threatened the knight with excommunication. The new priory was unusual in having extensive military-style defences.
The priory was badly damaged during the rebellion of Owain Glyndŵr in the early 15th century. When King Henry VIII introduced the Reformation, only the prior and two monks remained here. It was dissolved in 1540. In 1545 the priory was sold. Parts of the convent buildings were converted into a manor house, while other parts were demolished. The eastern part of the church remained unused and fell into disrepair after the dissolution of the priory. The nave, however, was used as a parish church.
Ewenny Priory
02 Dec 2024 |
|
All medieval knights had to overcome a difficult hurdle. How, after a lifetime of bloody slaughters and brutal rapes should they escape the fires of hell? One of the first knights who found the highway to heaven was Charlemagne´s kinsman William of Gellone, who founded the monastery of Gellone, became a monk and was canonized a saint in 1066.
Ewenny Priory was founded by the Norman knight Maurice de Londres in 1141 . Maurice granted the church to the abbey of St. Peter at Gloucester together with the church of St Brides Major and the chapel at Ogmore "in order that a convent of monks might be formed".
There had been an older, monastic cell. It is described in the 12th century Book of Llandaff as dedicated to Eguenni, an early Welsh saint. De Londres plundered the site with the intent of building a castle on it but was stopped by a decree from Pope Honorius II in 1128 which threatened the knight with excommunication. The new priory was unusual in having extensive military-style defences.
The priory was badly damaged during the rebellion of Owain Glyndŵr in the early 15th century. When King Henry VIII introduced the Reformation, only the prior and two monks remained here. It was dissolved in 1540. In 1545 the priory was sold. Parts of the convent buildings were converted into a manor house, while other parts were demolished. The eastern part of the church remained unused and fell into disrepair after the dissolution of the priory. The nave, however, was used as a parish church.
Ewenny Priory
02 Dec 2024 |
|
All medieval knights had to overcome a difficult hurdle. How, after a lifetime of bloody slaughters and brutal rapes should they escape the fires of hell? One of the first knights who found the highway to heaven was Charlemagne´s kinsman William of Gellone, who founded the monastery of Gellone, became a monk and was canonized a saint in 1066.
Ewenny Priory was founded by the Norman knight Maurice de Londres in 1141 . Maurice granted the church to the abbey of St. Peter at Gloucester together with the church of St Brides Major and the chapel at Ogmore "in order that a convent of monks might be formed".
There had been an older, monastic cell. It is described in the 12th century Book of Llandaff as dedicated to Eguenni, an early Welsh saint. De Londres plundered the site with the intent of building a castle on it but was stopped by a decree from Pope Honorius II in 1128 which threatened the knight with excommunication. The new priory was unusual in having extensive military-style defences.
The priory was badly damaged during the rebellion of Owain Glyndŵr in the early 15th century. When King Henry VIII introduced the Reformation, only the prior and two monks remained here. It was dissolved in 1540. In 1545 the priory was sold. Parts of the convent buildings were converted into a manor house, while other parts were demolished. The eastern part of the church remained unused and fell into disrepair after the dissolution of the priory. The nave, however, was used as a parish church.
Suze-la-Rousse - Château
29 Nov 2015 |
|
|
|
A fortified place existed here already since gallo-roman times. In 792 Charlemagne gave the place to his cousin and fierce warrior Guillaume de Gellone (aka "William of Gellone", "William of Aquitaine", "Guillaume Fierabrace"), who some years later became a pious monk. In 804 he founded the Monastery of Gellone ( = "Saint-Guilhem-le-Désert") - and was canonized a saint in 1066.
The castle, towering over the village, was built by his descendants within the 11th century and rebuilt it in Renaissance style 5 centuries later. Today this the home of the "University of Wine".
www.universite-du-vin.com/
On the right is a poster, telling the kids, that in a few days Guignol will visit Suze-la-Rousse.
Guignol has many friends
www.amisdelyonetguignol.com
Saint-Guilhem-le-Désert - Abbey
06 Sep 2010 |
|
The "Abbey of Gellone" in Saint-Guilhem-le-Désert was founded 806 by Saint William of Gellone, known in France as Guillaume d'Aquitaine or Guillaume au Court Nez (William Short Nose).
William, born 754 in Autun was a grandson of Charles Martel, and so a cousin of Charlemagne, who made him his paladin. As a commander William took part in numerous wars and battles against the Maurs in Spain and Southern France and from 790 on, he was "Count of Toulouse" and "Duke of Aquitaine". 804, he withdrew from "public life" and joined the monastry, Bernard of Aniane had founded in Aniane. Two years later, he left Aniane and founded with Bernard´s support the Abbey of Gellone in what is the village of Saint-Guilhem-le-Désert today.
Charlemagne presented his cousin a piece of the True Cross for the Abbey of Gellone. William died in 812. His tomb and the piece of the True Cross, shown in the abbey, made this place to a major stop for the pilgrims on their way to Santiago de Compostella.
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "William of Gellone" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter