Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Gorze

Hirsau - Abbey

30 Mar 2012 161
Twenty years after Pope Leo IX had asked his nephew Count Adalbert of Calw to rebuild the ruined abbay St. Aurelius, this abbey got a young abbot. Wilhem von Hirsau (aka "William of Hirsau"), educated at St. Emmeram in Regensburg, a very well known "thinktank". Immidietly tried to gain independence of all secular powers for the abbey. At that time, he was probably influenced by the idea, that had spread from Gorze Abbey in Lorraine. He was a strong supporter of the Pope during the Investiture Controversy. Already in 1082 he commissioned the building of a new monastery on a nearby high plateau. In 1091 the abbey church, modelled on Cluny II and dedicated to Peter an Paul, got consecrated. The convent followed 1092 and moved into a monastic compound designed according to the Plan of Saint Gall. Wilhelm´s friend Ulrich (aka "Ulrich von Zell", "Ulrich von Cluny"), a schoolmate from St. Emmeram, had made carreer in Burgundy and was an advisor to Abbot Hugh of Cluny. So the Cluniac reform found their way into the Black Forest. Based on them Wilhelm wrote down the "Consuetudines Hirsauginenses". Known as the "Hirsau Reforms", the adoption of these rules revitalised Benedictine life throughout Germany - and were followed by far more than 100 monasteries. Based on a thriving economy most of the romanesque buildings (but not the church!) were demolished and got replaced by gothic style structures. Shortly after that, the Reformation put an end to the abbey in 1536, when the monks had to leave - and a Protestant school was opend here (just like in Maulbronn!). The "Duke of Wuerttemberg" replaced the old abbot´s house by a posh hunting palace around 1590. During the Nine Years' War (aka "War of the Palatine Succession") the infamous General Ezéchiel de Mélac burnt the abbey down (like he did with Heidelberg, Worms, Speyer..). The ruins were used as a quarry - and so there is not really much left of this great and important abbey. The fountain reminds on the fountain in the cloister of Maulbronn. On the right is the tower over the old portal of the monastery.

Hirsau - Abbey

30 Mar 2012 188
Twenty years after Pope Leo IX had asked his nephew Count Adalbert of Calw to rebuild the ruined abbay St. Aurelius, this abbey got a young abbot. Wilhem von Hirsau (aka "William of Hirsau"), educated at St. Emmeram in Regensburg, a very well known "thinktank". Immidietly tried to gain independence of all secular powers for the abbey. At that time, he was probably influenced by the idea, that had spread from Gorze Abbey in Lorraine. He was a strong supporter of the Pope during the Investiture Controversy. Already in 1082 he commissioned the building of a new monastery on a nearby high plateau. In 1091 the abbey church, modelled on Cluny II and dedicated to Peter an Paul, got consecrated. The convent followed 1092 and moved into a monastic compound designed according to the Plan of Saint Gall. Wilhelm´s friend Ulrich (aka "Ulrich von Zell", "Ulrich von Cluny"), a schoolmate from St. Emmeram, had made carreer in Burgundy and was an advisor to Abbot Hugh of Cluny. So the Cluniac reform found their way into the Black Forest. Based on them Wilhelm wrote down the "Consuetudines Hirsauginenses". Known as the "Hirsau Reforms", the adoption of these rules revitalised Benedictine life throughout Germany - and were followed by far more than 100 monasteries. Based on a thriving economy most of the romanesque buildings (but not the church!) were demolished and got replaced by gothic style structures. Shortly after that, the Reformation put an end to the abbey in 1536, when the monks had to leave - and a Protestant school was opend here (just like in Maulbronn!). The "Duke of Wuerttemberg" replaced the old abbot´s house by a posh hunting palace around 1590. During the Nine Years' War (aka "War of the Palatine Succession") the infamous General Ezéchiel de Mélac burnt the abbey down (like he did with Heidelberg, Worms, Speyer..). The ruins were used as a quarry - and so there is not really much left of this great and important abbey.

Hirsau - Abbey

30 Mar 2012 163
Twenty years after Pope Leo IX had asked his nephew Count Adalbert of Calw to rebuild the ruined abbay St. Aurelius, this abbey got a young abbot. Wilhem von Hirsau (aka "William of Hirsau"), educated at St. Emmeram in Regensburg, a very well known "thinktank". Immidietly tried to gain independence of all secular powers for the abbey. At that time, he was probably influenced by the idea, that had spread from Gorze Abbey in Lorraine. He was a strong supporter of the Pope during the Investiture Controversy. Already in 1082 he commissioned the building of a new monastery on a nearby high plateau. In 1091 the abbey church, modelled on Cluny II and dedicated to Peter an Paul, got consecrated. The convent followed 1092 and moved into a monastic compound designed according to the Plan of Saint Gall. Wilhelm´s friend Ulrich (aka "Ulrich von Zell", "Ulrich von Cluny"), a schoolmate from St. Emmeram, had made carreer in Burgundy and was an advisor to Abbot Hugh of Cluny. So the Cluniac reform found their way into the Black Forest. Based on them Wilhelm wrote down the "Consuetudines Hirsauginenses". Known as the "Hirsau Reforms", the adoption of these rules revitalised Benedictine life throughout Germany - and were followed by far more than 100 monasteries. Based on a thriving economy most of the romanesque buildings (but not the church!) were demolished and got replaced by gothic style structures. Shortly after that, the Reformation put an end to the abbey in 1536, when the monks had to leave - and a Protestant school was opend here (just like in Maulbronn!). The "Duke of Wuerttemberg" replaced the old abbot´s house by a posh hunting palace around 1590. During the Nine Years' War (aka "War of the Palatine Succession") the infamous General Ezéchiel de Mélac burnt the abbey down (like he did with Heidelberg, Worms, Speyer..). The ruins were used as a quarry - and so there is not really much left of this great and important abbey. Behind the Gothic cloister are the ruins of the hunting palace,

Hirsau - Abbey

30 Mar 2012 212
Twenty years after Pope Leo IX had asked his nephew Count Adalbert of Calw to rebuild the ruined abbay St. Aurelius, this abbey got a young abbot. Wilhem von Hirsau (aka "William of Hirsau"), educated at St. Emmeram in Regensburg, a very well known "thinktank". Immidietly tried to gain independence of all secular powers for the abbey. At that time, he was probably influenced by the idea, that had spread from Gorze Abbey in Lorraine. He was a strong supporter of the Pope during the Investiture Controversy. Already in 1082 he commissioned the building of a new monastery on a nearby high plateau. In 1091 the abbey church, modelled on Cluny II and dedicated to Peter an Paul, got consecrated. The convent followed 1092 and moved into a monastic compound designed according to the Plan of Saint Gall. Wilhelm´s friend Ulrich (aka "Ulrich von Zell", "Ulrich von Cluny"), a schoolmate from St. Emmeram, had made carreer in Burgundy and was an advisor to Abbot Hugh of Cluny. So the Cluniac reform found their way into the Black Forest. Based on them Wilhelm wrote down the "Consuetudines Hirsauginenses". Known as the "Hirsau Reforms", the adoption of these rules revitalised Benedictine life throughout Germany - and were followed by far more than 100 monasteries. Based on a thriving economy most of the romanesque buildings (but not the church!) were demolished and got replaced by gothic style structures. Shortly after that, the Reformation put an end to the abbey in 1536, when the monks had to leave - and a Protestant school was opend here (just like in Maulbronn!). The "Duke of Wuerttemberg" replaced the old abbot´s house by a posh hunting palace around 1590. During the Nine Years' War (aka "War of the Palatine Succession") the infamous General Ezéchiel de Mélac burnt the abbey down (like he did with Heidelberg, Worms, Speyer..). The ruins were used as a quarry - and so there is not really much left of this great and important abbey. As the ruins of the large Gothique cloister are dominating the area, the are seen on the most photos taken here. The Lady Chapel in the back got renovated and rebuilt late 19th century and since then serves the Protestant parish.

Hirsau - Abbey

29 Mar 2012 133
Twenty years after Pope Leo IX had asked his nephew Count Adalbert of Calw to rebuild the ruined abbay St. Aurelius, this abbey got a young abbot. Wilhem von Hirsau (aka "William of Hirsau"), educated at St. Emmeram in Regensburg, a very well known "thinktank". Immidietly tried to gain independence of all secular powers for the abbey. At that time, he was probably influenced by the idea, that had spread from Gorze Abbey in Lorraine. He was a strong supporter of the Pope during the Investiture Controversy. Already in 1082 he commissioned the building of a new monastery on a nearby high plateau. In 1091 the abbey church, modelled on Cluny II and dedicated to Peter an Paul, got consecrated. The convent followed 1092 and moved into a monastic compound designed according to the Plan of Saint Gall. Wilhelm´s friend Ulrich (aka "Ulrich von Zell", "Ulrich von Cluny"), a schoolmate from St. Emmeram, had made carreer in Burgundy and was an advisor to Abbot Hugh of Cluny. So the Cluniac reform found their way into the Black Forest. Based on them Wilhelm wrote down the "Consuetudines Hirsauginenses". Known as the "Hirsau Reforms", the adoption of these rules revitalised Benedictine life throughout Germany - and were followed by far more than 100 monasteries. Based on a thriving economy most of the romanesque buildings (but not the church!) were demolished and got replaced by gothic style structures. Shortly after that, the Reformation put an end to the abbey in 1536, when the monks had to leave - and a Protestant school was opend here (just like in Maulbronn!). The "Duke of Wuerttemberg" replaced the old abbot´s house by a posh hunting palace around 1590. During the Nine Years' War (aka "War of the Palatine Succession") the infamous General Ezéchiel de Mélac burnt the abbey down (like he did with Heidelberg, Worms, Speyer..). The ruins were used as a quarry - and so there is not really much left of this great and important abbey. Hirsau Abbey was not only a very important, but as well a very large monastery. So the dimensions of the cloister are not surprising. The "Eulenturm" in the background marks, where the portal of the former abbey church once was.

Hirsau - Abbey

29 Mar 2012 190
Twenty years after Pope Leo IX had asked his nephew Count Adalbert of Calw to rebuild the ruined abbay St. Aurelius, this abbey got a young abbot. Wilhem von Hirsau (aka "William of Hirsau"), educated at St. Emmeram in Regensburg, a very well known "thinktank". Immidietly tried to gain independence of all secular powers for the abbey. At that time, he was probably influenced by the idea, that had spread from Gorze Abbey in Lorraine. He was a strong supporter of the Pope during the Investiture Controversy. Already in 1082 he commissioned the building of a new monastery on a nearby high plateau. In 1091 the abbey church, modelled on Cluny II and dedicated to Peter an Paul, got consecrated. The convent followed 1092 and moved into a monastic compound designed according to the Plan of Saint Gall. Wilhelm´s friend Ulrich (aka "Ulrich von Zell", "Ulrich von Cluny"), a schoolmate from St. Emmeram, had made carreer in Burgundy and was an advisor to Abbot Hugh of Cluny. So the Cluniac reform found their way into the Black Forest. Based on them Wilhelm wrote down the "Consuetudines Hirsauginenses". Known as the "Hirsau Reforms", the adoption of these rules revitalised Benedictine life throughout Germany - and were followed by far more than 100 monasteries. Based on a thriving economy most of the romanesque buildings (but not the church!) were demolished and got replaced by gothic style structures. Shortly after that, the Reformation put an end to the abbey in 1536, when the monks had to leave - and a Protestant school was opend here (just like in Maulbronn!). The "Duke of Wuerttemberg" replaced the old abbot´s house by a posh hunting palace around 1590. During the Nine Years' War (aka "War of the Palatine Succession") the infamous General Ezéchiel de Mélac burnt the abbey down (like he did with Heidelberg, Worms, Speyer..). The ruins were used as a quarry - and so there is not really much left of this great and important abbey. There are carved friezes around the "Eulenturm", just seen. This is maybe the most mysterious one. A well dressed, bearded man in the center seems to sit on a chair (or throne?). While on the other friezes were billy goats, here the animal to his left seems to be a ram. To the right a wheel with four spokes, beside the torso of a bald man. The whole group flanked by lions again. As Wilhelm of Hirsau in his early years wrote treatises on astronomy - some historians connect the friezes to that subject. Well, I doubt that, but I have no better idea...

Hirsau - Abbey

29 Mar 2012 190
Twenty years after Pope Leo IX had asked his nephew Count Adalbert of Calw to rebuild the ruined abbay St. Aurelius, this abbey got a young abbot. Wilhem von Hirsau (aka "William of Hirsau"), educated at St. Emmeram in Regensburg, a very well known "thinktank". Immidietly tried to gain independence of all secular powers for the abbey. At that time, he was probably influenced by the idea, that had spread from Gorze Abbey in Lorraine. He was a strong supporter of the Pope during the Investiture Controversy. Already in 1082 he commissioned the building of a new monastery on a nearby high plateau. In 1091 the abbey church, modelled on Cluny II and dedicated to Peter an Paul, got consecrated. The convent followed 1092 and moved into a monastic compound designed according to the Plan of Saint Gall. Wilhelm´s friend Ulrich (aka "Ulrich von Zell", "Ulrich von Cluny"), a schoolmate from St. Emmeram, had made carreer in Burgundy and was an advisor to Abbot Hugh of Cluny. So the Cluniac reform found their way into the Black Forest. Based on them Wilhelm wrote down the "Consuetudines Hirsauginenses". Known as the "Hirsau Reforms", the adoption of these rules revitalised Benedictine life throughout Germany - and were followed by far more than 100 monasteries. Based on a thriving economy most of the romanesque buildings (but not the church!) were demolished and got replaced by gothic style structures. Shortly after that, the Reformation put an end to the abbey in 1536, when the monks had to leave - and a Protestant school was opend here (just like in Maulbronn!). The "Duke of Wuerttemberg" replaced the old abbot´s house by a posh hunting palace around 1590. During the Nine Years' War (aka "War of the Palatine Succession") the infamous General Ezéchiel de Mélac burnt the abbey down (like he did with Heidelberg, Worms, Speyer..). The ruins were used as a quarry - and so there is not really much left of this great and important abbey. There are carved friezes around the "Eulenturm", just seen. This is one of them. A well-dressed Atlas, two billy goats beside him (here symmetrical). Lions at the corners of the tower. As Wilhelm of Hirsau in his early years wrote treatises on astronomy - some historians connect the friezes to that subject. Well, I doubt that, but I have no better idea..

Hirsau - Abbey

29 Mar 2012 169
Twenty years after Pope Leo IX had asked his nephew Count Adalbert of Calw to rebuild the ruined abbay St. Aurelius, this abbey got a young abbot. Wilhem von Hirsau (aka "William of Hirsau"), educated at St. Emmeram in Regensburg, a very well known "thinktank". Immidietly tried to gain independence of all secular powers for the abbey. At that time, he was probably influenced by the idea, that had spread from Gorze Abbey in Lorraine. He was a strong supporter of the Pope during the Investiture Controversy. Already in 1082 he commissioned the building of a new monastery on a nearby high plateau. In 1091 the abbey church, modelled on Cluny II and dedicated to Peter an Paul, got consecrated. The convent followed 1092 and moved into a monastic compound designed according to the Plan of Saint Gall. Wilhelm´s friend Ulrich (aka "Ulrich von Zell", "Ulrich von Cluny"), a schoolmate from St. Emmeram, had made carreer in Burgundy and was an advisor to Abbot Hugh of Cluny. So the Cluniac reform found their way into the Black Forest. Based on them Wilhelm wrote down the "Consuetudines Hirsauginenses". Known as the "Hirsau Reforms", the adoption of these rules revitalised Benedictine life throughout Germany - and were followed by far more than 100 monasteries. Based on a thriving economy most of the romanesque buildings (but not the church!) were demolished and got replaced by gothic style structures. Shortly after that, the Reformation put an end to the abbey in 1536, when the monks had to leave - and a Protestant school was opend here (just like in Maulbronn!). The "Duke of Wuerttemberg" replaced the old abbot´s house by a posh hunting palace around 1590. During the Nine Years' War (aka "War of the Palatine Succession") the infamous General Ezéchiel de Mélac burnt the abbey down (like he did with Heidelberg, Worms, Speyer..). The ruins were used as a quarry - and so there is not really much left of this great and important abbey. Only one of the two towers, that once flanked the abbey church, is left. The church had nine bays and a lenght of 70 meters, when it was completed in 1091. The towers were added 1120, when the church was enlarged by four additional bays. The "Eulenurm" (= "Owl´s Tower"), seen here, is 37 meters high.

Regensburg - Sankt Emmeram

18 Jan 2013 240
Kloster St. Emmeram (St. Emmeram's Abbey) was founded in about 739. The church was erected over the tomb of St. Emmeram. Emmeram was one of the early wandering missionaries in Bavaria. He came from Poitiers, where he had been bishop, and was martyred in 652. Saint Wolfgang of Regensburg (924 - 994) was abbot here, before he became bishop of Regensburg. Wolfgang and his successor Blessed Ramwod connected the abbey to the monastic reforms of Gorze. A century later St. Emmeram´s Abbey was one of the centers of the Cluniac Reforms in Southern Germany. William of Hirsau and (his friend) Ulrich of Zell "aka "Ulrich of Cluny") were both educated here. During that years, St. Emmeram´s was an intellectual hub. The scriptorium was a centre of book production and illumination ("Uta Codex"). The importance declined, but during the 16th century the abbey enjoyed a resurgence particularly in the natural sciences. In 1731, the abbots were raised to the status of Reichsfuersten ("Princes of the Empire"), what triggered a Baroque refurbishment od the buildings, lead by the Asam brothers. The secularisation ended the monastic life and in 1812 the buildings were granted to the Princes of Thurn and Taxis, who had St. Emmeram's Abbey converted as a residence, known as "Schloss Thurn und Taxis". The family of Thurn und Taxis still lives in the former monastery, while the former abbey church now is the parish church St. Emmeram, . The golden shrine, integrated into the altar of the crypt, holds the relics of St. Wolfgang of Regensburg, the patron Saint of Bavaria. He was abbot of St. Emmeram, later Bishop of Regensburg and as such, the founder of the Cathedral School, to which the reknown "Regensburger Domspatzen" can be traced back.

Regensburg - Sankt Emmeram

17 Jan 2013 251
Kloster St. Emmeram (St. Emmeram's Abbey) was founded in about 739. The church was erected over the tomb of St. Emmeram. Emmeram was one of the early wandering missionaries in Bavaria. He came from Poitiers, where he had been bishop, and was martyred in 652. Saint Wolfgang of Regensburg (924 - 994) was abbot here, before he became bishop of Regensburg. Wolfgang and his successor Blessed Ramwod connected the abbey to the monastic reforms of Gorze. A century later St. Emmeram´s Abbey was one of the centers of the Cluniac Reforms in Southern Germany. William of Hirsau and (his friend) Ulrich of Zell "aka "Ulrich of Cluny") were both educated here. During that years, St. Emmeram´s was an intellectual hub. The scriptorium was a centre of book production and illumination ("Uta Codex"). The importance declined, but during the 16th century the abbey enjoyed a resurgence particularly in the natural sciences. In 1731, the abbots were raised to the status of Reichsfuersten ("Princes of the Empire"), what triggered a Baroque refurbishment od the buildings, lead by the Asam brothers. The secularisation ended the monastic life and in 1812 the buildings were granted to the Princes of Thurn and Taxis, who had St. Emmeram's Abbey converted as a residence, known as "Schloss Thurn und Taxis". The family of Thurn und Taxis still lives in the former monastery, while the former abbey church now is the parish church St. Emmeram, . This throne is placed in the crypt of St. Wolfgang, just opposite St. Wolfgang´s shrine. The throne, dated to the 10th century, may have been the "bishop´s seat" of Wolfgang. The two lions make very clear, that the person, seated on the "cathedra" above them is of a very high rank. The throne may be even a older and used by Arnulf von Kaernten (Arnulf of Carinthia) the last Carolingian emperor, who had a palace next to the monastery. It is actually named "Heinrichstuhl", what may be connected to Duke Heinrich II of Bavaria (aka "Heinrich der Zaenker", "Henry the Wrangler"), whose grave is in St. Emmeram, or to three of the local burgraves named Heinrich who may have (re)used the throne within the 12th /13th century. It may well be, that all mentioned persons (and many more) have used this throne.

Regensburg - Sankt Emmeram

17 Jan 2013 237
Kloster St. Emmeram (St. Emmeram's Abbey) was founded in about 739. The church was erected over the tomb of St. Emmeram. Emmeram was one of the early wandering missionaries in Bavaria. He came from Poitiers, where he had been bishop, and was martyred in 652. Saint Wolfgang of Regensburg (924 - 994) was abbot here, before he became bishop of Regensburg. Wolfgang and his successor Blessed Ramwod connected the abbey to the monastic reforms of Gorze. A century later St. Emmeram´s Abbey was one of the centers of the Cluniac Reforms in Southern Germany. William of Hirsau and (his friend) Ulrich of Zell "aka "Ulrich of Cluny") were both educated here. During that years, St. Emmeram´s was an intellectual hub. The scriptorium was a centre of book production and illumination ("Uta Codex"). The importance declined, but during the 16th century the abbey enjoyed a resurgence particularly in the natural sciences. In 1731, the abbots were raised to the status of Reichsfuersten ("Princes of the Empire"), what triggered a Baroque refurbishment od the buildings, lead by the Asam brothers. The secularisation ended the monastic life and in 1812 the buildings were granted to the Princes of Thurn and Taxis, who had St. Emmeram's Abbey converted as a residence, known as "Schloss Thurn und Taxis". The family of Thurn und Taxis still lives in the former monastery, while the former abbey church now is the parish church St. Emmeram, that still has the floorplan of a Romanesque basilica. There are three crypts under the church. Unfortunately I could only see one. I missed the crypt of St. Emmeram (8 th century) and the crypt of Blessed Ramwood (980). Seen here is the crypt of St. Wolfgang, that is placed under the western transept.

Regensburg - Sankt Emmeram

17 Jan 2013 271
Kloster St. Emmeram (St. Emmeram's Abbey) was founded in about 739. The church was erected over the tomb of St. Emmeram. Emmeram was one of the early wandering missionaries in Bavaria. He came from Poitiers, where he had been bishop, and was martyred in 652. Saint Wolfgang of Regensburg (924 - 994) was abbot here, before he became bishop of Regensburg. Wolfgang and his successor Blessed Ramwod connected the abbey to the monastic reforms of Gorze. A century later St. Emmeram´s Abbey was one of the centers of the Cluniac Reforms in Southern Germany. William of Hirsau and (his friend) Ulrich of Zell "aka "Ulrich of Cluny") were both educated here. During that years, St. Emmeram´s was an intellectual hub. The scriptorium was a centre of book production and illumination ("Uta Codex"). - The importance declined, but during the 16th century the abbey enjoyed a resurgence particularly in the natural sciences. In 1731, the abbots were raised to the status of Reichsfuersten ("Princes of the Empire"), what triggered a Baroque refurbishment od the buildings, lead by the Asam brothers. The secularisation ended the monastic life and in 1812 the buildings were granted to the Princes of Thurn and Taxis, who had St. Emmeram's Abbey converted as a residence, known as "Schloss Thurn und Taxis". The family of Thurn und Taxis still lives in the former monastery, while the former abbey church now is the parish church St. Emmeram. The narthex seen here still has some Romanesque reliefs.

Montier-en-Der - Notre-Dame

14 Jun 2015 1 250
Saint Bercharius (aka "Saint Berchaire") founded a monastery here in 670. Later it was Carolingian property, transferred by Louis the Pious to the bishop of Reims. In the early 10th century it was given up due to Viking attacks, but reestablished some decades later. The convent accepted the Gorze Reform before it changed to the Cluniac Reform later. The abbey was secularized at the French Revolution. In 1806 Napoleon established the National Stud Farm ("Le Haras National") in the grounds of the former monastery, to breed improved horses for the use of the cavalry. The former abbey church now serves the parish of the small town. The church was consecrated in 998 - and many parts of the structure date back to the 10th century. The layout of walls of the nave is Romanesque and reminds to Vignory (40 km south/east). The Early Gothic choir is very interesting. It was erected "end of the 12th century" (information provided in Montier-en-Der), what is rather early. I could not find any more precise dates so far.

Montier-en-Der - Notre-Dame

14 Jun 2015 1 265
Saint Bercharius (aka "Saint Berchaire") founded a monastery here in 670. Later it was Carolingian property, transferred by Louis the Pious to the bishop of Reims. In the early 10th century it was given up due to Viking attacks, but reestablished some decades later. The convent accepted the Gorze Reform before it changed to the Cluniac Reform later. The abbey was secularized at the French Revolution. In 1806 Napoleon established the National Stud Farm ("Le Haras National") in the grounds of the former monastery, to breed improved horses for the use of the cavalry. The former abbey church now serves the parish of the small town. The church was consecrated in 998 - and many parts of the structure date back to the 10th century. The layout of walls of the nave is Romanesque and reminds to Vignory (40 km south/east). The Early Gothic choir is very interesting. It was erected "end of the 12th century" (information provided in Montier-en-Der), what is rather early. I could not find any more precise dates so far.

Montier-en-Der - Notre-Dame

13 Jun 2015 1 1 255
Saint Bercharius (aka "Saint Berchaire") founded a monastery here in 670. Later it was Carolingian property, transferred by Louis the Pious to the bishop of Reims. In the early 10th century it was given up due to Viking attacks, but reestablished some decades later. The convent accepted the Gorze Reform before it changed to the Cluniac Reform later. The abbey was secularized at the French Revolution. In 1806 Napoleon established the National Stud Farm ("Le Haras National") in the grounds of the former monastery, to breed improved horses for the use of the cavalry. The former abbey church, seen here, now serves the parish of the small town. The church was consecrated in 998 - and many parts of the structure date back to the 10th century. The layout of walls of the nave is Romanesque and reminds to Vignory (40 km south/east). The Early Gothic choir was erected within the 12th and 13th century. Note the wooden roof.

Montier-en-Der - Notre-Dame

13 Jun 2015 1 277
Saint Bercharius (aka "Saint Berchaire") founded a monastery here in 670. Later it was Carolingian property, transferred by Louis the Pious to the bishop of Reims. In the early 10th century it was given up due to Viking attacks, but reestablished some decades later. The convent accepted the Gorze Reform before it changed to the Cluniac Reform later. The abbey was secularized at the French Revolution. In 1806 Napoleon established the National Stud Farm ("Le Haras National") in the grounds of the former monastery. to breed improved horses for the use of the cavalry. This farm is still in existence. www.haras-nationaux.fr/index.php?id=3350&MP=2746-4828 The former abbey church, seen here, now serves the parish of the small town. The church was consecrated in 998 - and many parts of the structure date back to the 10th century. The facade and the tower are of course younger.

Metz - Saint-Étienne

12 Feb 2015 303
Metz was a Celtic settlement before Caesar´s conquest of Gaul. After the Romans had left and after the Huns lead by Attila had burnt it down in 451, the Merovingian kings made Metz to the capital of Austrasia. Bishop Arnulf of Metz, advisor to the Merovingian court, was a progenitor of the Carolingian dynasty. Bishop Chrodegang of Metz, Charles Martel´s chancellor, founded the important Gorze Abbey, known for a monastic reform movement, similar to that one of Cluny. Between 823 and - 855 Drogo of Metz, an illegitimate son of Charlemagne and strong supporter of his half brother Louis the Pious and Louis´ son Charles the Bald, was Bishop here. Saint-Étienne de Metz, built over a shrine of Protomartyr Saint Stephen is the seat of the Bishop of Metz. The construction of the Gothic cathedral began in 1220 within the foundations of the Romanesque basilica. The cathedral was completed three centuries later and got consecrated in 1552. The cathedral is nicknamed "La lanterne du Bon Dieu" ("Good Lord's Lantern") displaying the largest expanse of stained glass in the world with about 6500 m². This elephant is a detail from the southwestern "Portal of the Virgin". It may well be, that the carving was created during the restoration period end of the 19th century.

Metz - Saint-Étienne

11 Feb 2015 295
Metz was a Celtic settlement before Caesar´s conquest of Gaul. After the Romans had left and after the Huns lead by Attila had burnt it down in 451, the Merovingian kings made Metz to the capital of Austrasia. Bishop Arnulf of Metz, advisor to the Merovingian court, was a progenitor of the Carolingian dynasty. Bishop Chrodegang of Metz, Charles Martel´s chancellor, founded the important Gorze Abbey, known for a monastic reform movement, similar to that one of Cluny. Between 823 and - 855 Drogo of Metz, an illegitimate son of Charlemagne and strong supporter of his half brother Louis the Pious and Louis´ son Charles the Bald, was Bishop here. Saint-Étienne de Metz, built over a shrine of Protomartyr Saint Stephen is the seat of the Bishop of Metz. The construction of the Gothic cathedral began in 1220 within the foundations of the Romanesque basilica. The cathedral was completed three centuries later and got consecrated in 1552. The cathedral is nicknamed "La lanterne du Bon Dieu" ("Good Lord's Lantern") displaying the largest expanse of stained glass in the world with about 6500 m². A fire severely damaged the cathedral in 1877. The western portal, seen here, was created in Neo-Gothic style after the blaze.

24 items in total