Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: chicken
Beverley Minster
21 Mar 2025 |
|
|
The town's origins date back to the 7th century. The first known building was a church founded by John of Beverley (+ 721), the later canonized Bishop of York. Around 850, the monastery was dissolved by the invasion of the "Great Heathen Army" of Vikings, and the town became part of the new Kingdom of Jorvik. However, the veneration of John of Beverley ensured that the region's population grew steadily until the 10th century.
The Archbishops of York encouraged the development of Beverley. The town, along with York, Ripon, and Southwell, became one of the most important Christian centers in England.
After the Norman conquest of England, many pilgrims flocked to Beverley after hearing of the miracles performed by John of Beverley. Many people in the north of England rejected Norman rule. The Normans then ravaged the towns of Yorkshire. Beverley, however, was spared due to the sanctity of the place.
Tradition attributes the refoundation of the monastery as a collegiate church of secular canons to King Æthelstan. The establishment of a significant minster and its privileges occurred gradually, but by the early 11th century, Bishop John's tomb had become an important pilgrimage center, as he was canonized in 1037, and his cult encouraged the growth of a town around the minster.
A fire in 1188 seriously damaged the minster and the town. A complete rebuilding was required. During the construction, a new lantern tower over the eastern crossing designed to illuminate the shrine of St John was under construction, but it collapsed in 1219 necessitating a partial rebuild of the church. By 1260 the retrochoir, choir, chapter house, transepts, and crossing were complete. Overwhelmingly tall and spacious, and speaking to the increasing skills of the stonecarvers, this new work was radically different from the old Saxon and Norman structure it replaced. It was the product of the novel structural systems and artistic development that together define the Gothic style brought to England in the late 12th century.
Some very strange people populate the walls inside.
A fox herding chickens?
Verona - Basilica di San Zeno
31 Oct 2015 |
|
|
Already Theodoric the Great, King of the Ostrogoths, may have funded a church, erected over the tomb of Saint Zeno, who, following the legends, was born in Mauretania and died around 380 in Verona.
The erection of the present church began in the 9th century. Soon after San Zeno´s relics were translated into the new church. At that time Charlemagne´s son Pepin (aka "Pepin of Italy") resided in Verona and a large Benedictine monastery grew all around the church.
When the Magyars invaded Italy in the early 10th century, the church got severely damaged, but the relics were not harmed, as they had been taken out and were hidden. In 967, a new church was built with the patronage of Otto I.
On January 3, 1117, the church was damaged by an earthquake, that ruined so many buildings in Northern Italy. The church was restored and got enlarged in 1138.
The large crypt dates back to the 10th century, as it is known, that the relics of San Zeno were transferred in 921.
This flight of stairs runs down to the crypt from the central nave, but the both aisles have stairs, too as the crypt is as wide as the church. The arches have interesting friezes. They were created by Adamino von San Giorgio, who left his signature.
The friezes are populated with many fanciful and monstrous animals.
The return of the predator-chickens.
Halloween-Edition...
Bignay - Saint-Sauveur
12 Nov 2014 |
|
The facade and the nave of Saint-Sauveur in Bignay are dated back to the 12th century. The steeple was added centuries later. Under the roof of the nave are some weathered corbels. Here is person holding two birds. This icon can often be found. It may be a "Master of Beasts".
Saint-Chamant - Saint-Amant
03 Apr 2014 |
|
When the church, dedicated to Saint Amans de Rodez, got erected within the 12th century, it was dependent from the abbey Saint-Martin in Tulle (20kms north). It is known, that Humbaud, bishop of Limoges, consecrated a church here in 1094, but at that time the structure cannot have been completed
The portal of Saint-Chamant is extraordenary (for a village church). While the tympanum over the doors is undamaged, all capitals are damaged. After the French Revolution some small vandals used their hammers.
The dog chases the flock of chickens all around the archivolt.
Noillhac
27 Jan 2012 |
|
Walking towards Castres, it got really hot. Even the chickens took a nap in the shade over noontime.
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "chicken" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter