Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Reichenau
Reichenau - St. Peter und Paul
13 Jan 2021 |
|
Reichenau Island is an island in Lake Constance. It lies west of the city of Konstanz. Since 1838 the island is connected to the mainland by a causeway.
The island was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2000 because of the important Abbey of Reichenau founded in 724 by Saint Pirmin, with patronage that included Charles Martel, Count Berthold of the Ahalolfinger and the Alemannian Duke Santfrid (aka Hnabi). It gained influence in the Carolingian dynasty, by educating the clerks who staffed Imperial and ducal chanceries. An important book collection was built up here.
The abbey housed a school, and a scriptorium and artists' workshop, that has a claim to have been the largest and artistically most influential centre for producing illuminated manuscripts in Europe during the late 10th and early 11th centuries, often known as the Reichenau School.
The Abbey reached its apex under Abbot Berno of Reichenau (1008–48). During his time, important scholars lived and worked in Reichenau. In the second half of the 11th century, the importance started to wane owing to rivalry with the nearby St. Gall. In 1540, the Bishop of Constance, an old rival of the Reichenau abbots, became lord of Reichenau, and, under the control of the succeeding bishops, the abbey's significance dwindled.
The first church dedicated to St. Peter in this place was built in 799 by Bishop Egino of Verona, who after his resignation moved here to a cella, where he died in 802. Egino had founded the cella with the permission of Abbot Waldo. Venerated and blessed Egino received a burial place in the choir of today's St. Peter und Paul (aka "Reichenau Basilika") in the 12th century.
The first church had collapsed after a fire in 1080. St. Peter und Paul had been erected on the ancient foundations. Unfortunately, the interior of St. Peter and Paul was redesigned in the Rococo style around 1750/1760 when windows were enlarged, the originally flat wooden ceiling was replaced by a flat stucco vault.
While the murals of the apse are comparably well preserved the (younger) frescoes of the narthex are faded away.
Reichenau - St. Peter und Paul
12 Jan 2021 |
|
Reichenau Island is an island in Lake Constance. It lies west of the city of Konstanz. Since 1838 the island is connected to the mainland by a causeway.
The island was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2000 because of the important Abbey of Reichenau founded in 724 by Saint Pirmin, with patronage that included Charles Martel, Count Berthold of the Ahalolfinger and the Alemannian Duke Santfrid (aka Hnabi). It gained influence in the Carolingian dynasty, by educating the clerks who staffed Imperial and ducal chanceries. An important book collection was built up here.
The abbey housed a school, and a scriptorium and artists' workshop, that has a claim to have been the largest and artistically most influential centre for producing illuminated manuscripts in Europe during the late 10th and early 11th centuries, often known as the Reichenau School.
The Abbey reached its apex under Abbot Berno of Reichenau (1008–48). During his time, important scholars lived and worked in Reichenau. In the second half of the 11th century, the importance started to wane owing to rivalry with the nearby St. Gall. In 1540, the Bishop of Constance, an old rival of the Reichenau abbots, became lord of Reichenau, and, under the control of the succeeding bishops, the abbey's significance dwindled.
The first church dedicated to St. Peter in this place was built in 799 by Bishop Egino of Verona, who after his resignation moved here to a cella, where he died in 802. Egino had founded the cella with the permission of Abbot Waldo. Venerated and blessed Egino received a burial place in the choir of today's St. Peter und Paul (aka "Reichenau Basilika") in the 12th century.
The first church had collapsed after a fire in 1080. St. Peter und Paul had been erected on the ancient foundations. Unfortunately, the interior of St. Peter and Paul was redesigned in the Rococo style around 1750/1760 when windows were enlarged, the originally flat wooden ceiling was replaced by a flat stucco vault.
The large window damaged, but not destroyed the mural of the apse. The paintings stem from 1104 - 1126.
Reichenau - St. Peter und Paul
12 Jan 2021 |
|
Reichenau Island is an island in Lake Constance. It lies west of the city of Konstanz. Since 1838 the island is connected to the mainland by a causeway.
The island was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2000 because of the important Abbey of Reichenau founded in 724 by Saint Pirmin, with patronage that included Charles Martel, Count Berthold of the Ahalolfinger and the Alemannian Duke Santfrid (aka Hnabi). It gained influence in the Carolingian dynasty, by educating the clerks who staffed Imperial and ducal chanceries. An important book collection was built up here.
The abbey housed a school, and a scriptorium and artists' workshop, that has a claim to have been the largest and artistically most influential centre for producing illuminated manuscripts in Europe during the late 10th and early 11th centuries, often known as the Reichenau School.
The Abbey reached its apex under Abbot Berno of Reichenau (1008–48). During his time, important scholars lived and worked in Reichenau. In the second half of the 11th century, the importance started to wane owing to rivalry with the nearby St. Gall. In 1540, the Bishop of Constance, an old rival of the Reichenau abbots, became lord of Reichenau, and, under the control of the succeeding bishops, the abbey's significance dwindled.
The first church dedicated to St. Peter in this place was built in 799 by Bishop Egino of Verona, who after his resignation moved here to a cella, where he died in 802. Egino had founded the cella with the permission of Abbot Waldo. Venerated and blessed Egino received a burial place in the choir of today's St. Peter und Paul (aka "Reichenau Basilika") in the 12th century.
The first church had collapsed after a fire in 1080. St. Peter und Paul had been erected on the ancient foundations. Unfortunately, the interior of St. Peter and Paul was redesigned in the Rococo style around 1750/1760 when windows were enlarged, the originally flat wooden ceiling was replaced by a flat stucco vault.
Reichenau - St. Peter und Paul
13 Jan 2021 |
|
Reichenau Island is an island in Lake Constance. It lies west of the city of Konstanz. Since 1838 the island is connected to the mainland by a causeway.
The island was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2000 because of the important Abbey of Reichenau founded in 724 by Saint Pirmin, with patronage that included Charles Martel, Count Berthold of the Ahalolfinger and the Alemannian Duke Santfrid (aka Hnabi). It gained influence in the Carolingian dynasty, by educating the clerks who staffed Imperial and ducal chanceries. An important book collection was built up here.
The abbey housed a school, and a scriptorium and artists' workshop, that has a claim to have been the largest and artistically most influential centre for producing illuminated manuscripts in Europe during the late 10th and early 11th centuries, often known as the Reichenau School.
The Abbey reached its apex under Abbot Berno of Reichenau (1008–48). During his time, important scholars lived and worked in Reichenau. In the second half of the 11th century, the importance started to wane owing to rivalry with the nearby St. Gall. In 1540, the Bishop of Constance, an old rival of the Reichenau abbots, became lord of Reichenau, and, under the control of the succeeding bishops, the abbey's significance dwindled.
The first church dedicated to St. Peter in this place was built in 799 by Bishop Egino of Verona, who after his resignation moved here to a cella, where he died in 802. Egino had founded the cella with the permission of Abbot Waldo. Venerated and blessed Egino received a burial place in the choir of today's St. Peter und Paul (aka "Reichenau Basilika") in the 12th century.
The first church had collapsed after a fire in 1080. St. Peter und Paul had been erected on the ancient foundations. Unfortunately, the interior of St. Peter and Paul was redesigned in the Rococo style around 1750/1760 when windows were enlarged, the originally flat wooden ceiling was replaced by a flat stucco vault.
The large window damaged, but not destroyed the mural of the apse. The paintings stem from 1104 - 1126.
Reichenau - St. Peter und Paul
12 Jan 2021 |
|
Reichenau Island is an island in Lake Constance. It lies west of the city of Konstanz. Since 1838 the island is connected to the mainland by a causeway.
The island was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2000 because of the important Abbey of Reichenau founded in 724 by Saint Pirmin, with patronage that included Charles Martel, Count Berthold of the Ahalolfinger and the Alemannian Duke Santfrid (aka Hnabi). It gained influence in the Carolingian dynasty, by educating the clerks who staffed Imperial and ducal chanceries. An important book collection was built up here.
The abbey housed a school, and a scriptorium and artists' workshop, that has a claim to have been the largest and artistically most influential centre for producing illuminated manuscripts in Europe during the late 10th and early 11th centuries, often known as the Reichenau School.
The Abbey reached its apex under Abbot Berno of Reichenau (1008–48). During his time, important scholars lived and worked in Reichenau. In the second half of the 11th century, the importance started to wane owing to rivalry with the nearby St. Gall. In 1540, the Bishop of Constance, an old rival of the Reichenau abbots, became lord of Reichenau, and, under the control of the succeeding bishops, the abbey's significance dwindled.
The first church dedicated to St. Peter in this place was built in 799 by Bishop Egino of Verona, who after his resignation moved here to a cella, where he died in 802. Egino had founded the cella with the permission of Abbot Waldo. Venerated and blessed Egino received a burial place in the choir of today's St. Peter und Paul (aka "Reichenau Basilika") in the 12th century.
The first church had collapsed after a fire in 1080. St. Peter und Paul had been erected on the ancient foundations. Unfortunately, the interior of St. Peter and Paul was redesigned in the Rococo style around 1750/1760 when windows were enlarged, the originally flat wooden ceiling was replaced by a flat stucco vault.
But the murals of the apse got partly saved.
Reichenau - Münster St. Maria und Markus
11 Jan 2021 |
|
Reichenau Island is an island in Lake Constance. It lies west of the city of Konstanz. Since 1838 the island is connected to the mainland by a causeway.
The island was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2000 because of the important Abbey of Reichenau founded in 724 by Saint Pirmin, with patronage that included Charles Martel, Count Berthold of the Ahalolfinger and the Alemannian Duke Santfrid (aka Hnabi). It gained influence in the Carolingian dynasty, by educating the clerks who staffed Imperial and ducal chanceries. An important book collection was built up here.
The abbey housed a school, and a scriptorium and artists' workshop, that has a claim to have been the largest and artistically most influential centre for producing illuminated manuscripts in Europe during the late 10th and early 11th centuries, often known as the Reichenau School.
The Abbey reached its apex under Abbot Berno of Reichenau (1008–48). During his time, important scholars lived and worked in Reichenau. In the second half of the 11th century, the importance started to wane owing to rivalry with the nearby St. Gall. In 1540, the Bishop of Constance, an old rival of the Reichenau abbots, became lord of Reichenau, and, under the control of the succeeding bishops, the abbey's significance dwindled.
The former abbey church "St. Maria and Markus" is the probably oldest existing church on the island. St. Primin erected a wooden church here in 724. Abbot Haito replaced this with a Carolingian basilica that was consecrated in 816. Parts of this church, are still preserved today in the crossing and in the east transept. After in 830 the abbey had received relics of the evangelist Mark from Venice, the abbey church got enlarged.
When a Byzantine cross with a holy blood relic came to Reichenau in 925, a rotunda based on the model of the Holy Sepulcher was built.
This Holy Blood Chapel was demolished together with the church´s Romanesque choir, when mid of the 15th century, a late Gothic choir was added to the basilica.
Charlemagne´s great-grandson Emperor Karl III. (aka "Charles the Fat") was buried here at his own request. His grave slab contains the inscription "CAROLVS III IMPERATOR † 888".
Like in St. Georg (prev. uploads) the walls of the basilica were probably covered with murals a thousand years ago. Only very few traces can still be found.
Reichenau - Münster St. Maria und Markus
11 Jan 2021 |
|
Reichenau Island is an island in Lake Constance. It lies west of the city of Konstanz. Since 1838 the island is connected to the mainland by a causeway.
The island was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2000 because of the important Abbey of Reichenau founded in 724 by Saint Pirmin, with patronage that included Charles Martel, Count Berthold of the Ahalolfinger and the Alemannian Duke Santfrid (aka Hnabi). It gained influence in the Carolingian dynasty, by educating the clerks who staffed Imperial and ducal chanceries. An important book collection was built up here.
The abbey housed a school, and a scriptorium and artists' workshop, that has a claim to have been the largest and artistically most influential centre for producing illuminated manuscripts in Europe during the late 10th and early 11th centuries, often known as the Reichenau School.
The Abbey reached its apex under Abbot Berno of Reichenau (1008–48). During his time, important scholars lived and worked in Reichenau. In the second half of the 11th century, the importance started to wane owing to rivalry with the nearby St. Gall. In 1540, the Bishop of Constance, an old rival of the Reichenau abbots, became lord of Reichenau, and, under the control of the succeeding bishops, the abbey's significance dwindled.
The former abbey church "St. Maria and Markus" is the probably oldest existing church on the island. St. Primin erected a wooden church here in 724. Abbot Haito replaced this with a Carolingian basilica that was consecrated in 816. Parts of this church, are still preserved today in the crossing and in the east transept. After in 830 the abbey had received relics of the evangelist Mark from Venice, the abbey church got enlarged.
When a Byzantine cross with a holy blood relic came to Reichenau in 925, a rotunda based on the model of the Holy Sepulcher was built.
This Holy Blood Chapel was demolished together with the church´s Romanesque choir, when mid of the 15th century, a late Gothic choir was added to the basilica.
Charlemagne´s great-grandson Emperor Karl III. (aka "Charles the Fat") was buried here at his own request. His grave slab contains the inscription "CAROLVS III IMPERATOR † 888".
Like in St. Georg (prev. uploads) the walls of the basilica were probably covered with murals a thousand years ago. Only very few traces can still be found. Next to the huge St. Christophorus dances a small red devil, who populated with his faded colleagues the older mural.
Reichenau - Münster St. Maria und Markus
11 Jan 2021 |
|
Reichenau Island is an island in Lake Constance. It lies west of the city of Konstanz. Since 1838 the island is connected to the mainland by a causeway.
The island was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2000 because of the important Abbey of Reichenau founded in 724 by Saint Pirmin, with patronage that included Charles Martel, Count Berthold of the Ahalolfinger and the Alemannian Duke Santfrid (aka Hnabi). It gained influence in the Carolingian dynasty, by educating the clerks who staffed Imperial and ducal chanceries. An important book collection was built up here.
The abbey housed a school, and a scriptorium and artists' workshop, that has a claim to have been the largest and artistically most influential centre for producing illuminated manuscripts in Europe during the late 10th and early 11th centuries, often known as the Reichenau School.
The Abbey reached its apex under Abbot Berno of Reichenau (1008–48). During his time, important scholars lived and worked in Reichenau. In the second half of the 11th century, the importance started to wane owing to rivalry with the nearby St. Gall. In 1540, the Bishop of Constance, an old rival of the Reichenau abbots, became lord of Reichenau, and, under the control of the succeeding bishops, the abbey's significance dwindled.
The former abbey church "St. Maria and Markus" is the probably oldest existing church on the island. St. Primin erected a wooden church here in 724. Abbot Haito replaced this with a Carolingian basilica that was consecrated in 816. Parts of this church, are still preserved today in the crossing and in the east transept. After in 830 the abbey had received relics of the evangelist Mark from Venice, the abbey church got enlarged.
When a Byzantine cross with a holy blood relic came to Reichenau in 925, a rotunda based on the model of the Holy Sepulcher was built.
This Holy Blood Chapel was demolished together with the church´s Romanesque choir, when mid of the 15th century, a late Gothic choir was added to the basilica.
Charlemagne´s great-grandson Emperor Karl III. (aka "Charles the Fat") was buried here at his own request. His grave slab contains the inscription "CAROLVS III IMPERATOR † 888".
The disciples are gathered around Jesus. St. Jacques wears the shell on his hat.
Reichenau - Münster St. Maria und Markus
11 Jan 2021 |
|
Reichenau Island is an island in Lake Constance. It lies west of the city of Konstanz. Since 1838 the island is connected to the mainland by a causeway.
The island was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2000 because of the important Abbey of Reichenau founded in 724 by Saint Pirmin, with patronage that included Charles Martel, Count Berthold of the Ahalolfinger and the Alemannian Duke Santfrid (aka Hnabi). It gained influence in the Carolingian dynasty, by educating the clerks who staffed Imperial and ducal chanceries. An important book collection was built up here.
The abbey housed a school, and a scriptorium and artists' workshop, that has a claim to have been the largest and artistically most influential centre for producing illuminated manuscripts in Europe during the late 10th and early 11th centuries, often known as the Reichenau School.
The Abbey reached its apex under Abbot Berno of Reichenau (1008–48). During his time, important scholars lived and worked in Reichenau. In the second half of the 11th century, the importance started to wane owing to rivalry with the nearby St. Gall. In 1540, the Bishop of Constance, an old rival of the Reichenau abbots, became lord of Reichenau, and, under the control of the succeeding bishops, the abbey's significance dwindled.
The former abbey church "St. Maria and Markus" is the probably oldest existing church on the island. St. Primin erected a wooden church here in 724. Abbot Haito replaced this with a Carolingian basilica that was consecrated in 816. Parts of this church, are still preserved today in the crossing and in the east transept. After in 830 the abbey had received relics of the evangelist Mark from Venice, the abbey church got enlarged.
When a Byzantine cross with a holy blood relic came to Reichenau in 925, a rotunda based on the model of the Holy Sepulcher was built.
This Holy Blood Chapel was demolished together with the church´s Romanesque choir, when mid of the 15th century, a late Gothic choir was added to the basilica.
The barrel-shaped "Norman" roof structure made of oak dates from the years 1236/37.
Charlemagne´s great-grandson Emperor Karl III. (aka "Charles the Fat") was buried here at his own request. His grave slab contains the inscription "CAROLVS III IMPERATOR † 888".
Reichenau - St. Georg
11 Jan 2021 |
|
Reichenau Island is an island in Lake Constance. It lies west of the city of Konstanz. Since 1838 the island is connected to the mainland by a causeway.
The island was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2000 because of the important Abbey of Reichenau founded in 724 by Saint Pirmin, with patronage that included Charles Martel, Count Berthold of the Ahalolfinger and the Alemannian Duke Santfrid (aka Hnabi). It gained influence in the Carolingian dynasty, by educating the clerks who staffed Imperial and ducal chanceries. An important book collection was built up here.
The abbey housed a school, and a scriptorium and artists' workshop, that has a claim to have been the largest and artistically most influential centre for producing illuminated manuscripts in Europe during the late 10th and early 11th centuries, often known as the Reichenau School.
The Abbey reached its apex under Abbot Berno of Reichenau (1008–48). During his time, important scholars lived and worked in Reichenau. In the second half of the 11th century, the importance started to wane owing to rivalry with the nearby St. Gall. In 1540, the Bishop of Constance, an old rival of the Reichenau abbots, became lord of Reichenau, and, under the control of the succeeding bishops, the abbey's significance dwindled.
The church of St. Georg was part of the abbey. It was erected end of the 9th century. The Reichenau abbot Hatto III. received relics from Pope Formosus in Rome in 896 that included a piece of the skull of the martyr Georg. He brought the relic to Reichenau. The original church building comprised today's nave and the crypt. For this time, the nave was a very spacious building, the size of which was chosen for the expected veneration of Saint Georg. It got enlarged and altered a couple of times later.
St. Georg is known for its wonderful murals, created end of the 9th or 10th century.
The original murals had been overpainted in the 14th century. In the second half of the 18th century, the church got a whitewash - and the murals were forgotten. They got rediscovered in 1879 and subsequently uncovered.
Not all murals are that old and depict biblical scenes. This one was done in the 14th century and criticizes the chattering of "dumb wibun" - foolish women.
A devil wrote onto a cow-hide, that is stretched by four devils
Ich wil hie schribvn
von diesen tvmben wibvn
was hie wirt plapla gvsprochvn
vppigs in der wochvn
was wirt allvs wol gvdaht
so es wirt für den richtvr braht
This is Middle High German languages.
It roughly translates to
I want to write here
about these foolish women
what is spoken here blabla
over the week
that will be well remembered
when it is in front of the judge
Reichenau - St. Georg
10 Jan 2021 |
|
Reichenau Island is an island in Lake Constance. It lies west of the city of Konstanz. Since 1838 the island is connected to the mainland by a causeway.
The island was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2000 because of the important Abbey of Reichenau founded in 724 by Saint Pirmin, with patronage that included Charles Martel, Count Berthold of the Ahalolfinger and the Alemannian Duke Santfrid (aka Hnabi). It gained influence in the Carolingian dynasty, by educating the clerks who staffed Imperial and ducal chanceries. An important book collection was built up here.
The abbey housed a school, and a scriptorium and artists' workshop, that has a claim to have been the largest and artistically most influential centre for producing illuminated manuscripts in Europe during the late 10th and early 11th centuries, often known as the Reichenau School.
The Abbey reached its apex under Abbot Berno of Reichenau (1008–48). During his time, important scholars lived and worked in Reichenau. In the second half of the 11th century, the importance started to wane owing to rivalry with the nearby St. Gall. In 1540, the Bishop of Constance, an old rival of the Reichenau abbots, became lord of Reichenau, and, under the control of the succeeding bishops, the abbey's significance dwindled.
The church of St. Georg was part of the abbey. It was erected end of the 9th century. The Reichenau abbot Hatto III. received relics from Pope Formosus in Rome in 896 that included a piece of the skull of the martyr Georg. He brought the relic to Reichenau. The original church building comprised today's nave and the crypt. For this time, the nave was a very spacious building, the size of which was chosen for the expected veneration of Saint Georg. It got enlarged and altered a couple of times later.
St. Georg is known for its wonderful murals, created end of the 9th or 10th century.
The original murals had been overpainted in the 14th century. In the second half of the 18th century, the church got a whitewash - and the murals were forgotten. They got rediscovered in 1879 and subsequently uncovered.
Jesus Calms the Storm
Marc 4,35-41
"That day when evening came, he said to his disciples, "Let us go over to the other side." Leaving the crowd behind, they took him along, just as he was, in the boat. There were also other boats with him. A furious squall came up, and the waves broke over the boat, so that it was nearly swamped. Jesus was in the stern, sleeping on a cushion. The disciples woke him and said to him, "Teacher, don’t you care if we drown?"
He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, "Quiet! Be still!" Then the wind died down and it was completely calm.
He said to his disciples, "Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?"
They were terrified and asked each other, "Who is this? Even the wind and the waves obey him!"
Reichenau - St. Georg
10 Jan 2021 |
|
Reichenau Island is an island in Lake Constance. It lies west of the city of Konstanz. Since 1838 the island is connected to the mainland by a causeway.
The island was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2000 because of the important Abbey of Reichenau founded in 724 by Saint Pirmin, with patronage that included Charles Martel, Count Berthold of the Ahalolfinger and the Alemannian Duke Santfrid (aka Hnabi). It gained influence in the Carolingian dynasty, by educating the clerks who staffed Imperial and ducal chanceries. An important book collection was built up here.
The abbey housed a school, and a scriptorium and artists' workshop, that has a claim to have been the largest and artistically most influential centre for producing illuminated manuscripts in Europe during the late 10th and early 11th centuries, often known as the Reichenau School.
The Abbey reached its apex under Abbot Berno of Reichenau (1008–48). During his time, important scholars lived and worked in Reichenau. In the second half of the 11th century, the importance started to wane owing to rivalry with the nearby St. Gall. In 1540, the Bishop of Constance, an old rival of the Reichenau abbots, became lord of Reichenau, and, under the control of the succeeding bishops, the abbey's significance dwindled.
The church of St. Georg was part of the abbey. It was erected end of the 9th century. The Reichenau abbot Hatto III. received relics from Pope Formosus in Rome in 896 that included a piece of the skull of the martyr Georg. He brought the relic to Reichenau. The original church building comprised today's nave and the crypt. For this time, the nave was a very spacious building, the size of which was chosen for the expected veneration of Saint Georg. It got enlarged and altered a couple of times later.
St. Georg is known for its wonderful murals, created end of the 9th or 10th century.
The original murals had been overpainted in the 14th century. In the second half of the 18th century, the church got a whitewash - and the murals were forgotten. They got rediscovered in 1879 and subsequently uncovered.
Jesus Restores a Demon-Possessed Man
Marc 5.1 - 5.13
"They went across the lake to the region of the Gerasenes. When Jesus got out of the boat, a man with an impure spirit came from the tombs to meet him. This man lived in the tombs, and no one could bind him anymore, not even with a chain. For he had often been chained hand and foot, but he tore the chains apart and broke the irons on his feet. No one was strong enough to subdue him. Night and day among the tombs and in the hills he would cry out and cut himself with stones.
When he saw Jesus from a distance, he ran and fell on his knees in front of him. He shouted at the top of his voice, "What do you want with me, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? In God’s name don’t torture me!" For Jesus had said to him, "Come out of this man, you impure spirit!"
Then Jesus asked him, "What is your name?"
"My name is Legion," he replied, "for we are many." And he begged Jesus again and again not to send them out of the area.
A large herd of pigs was feeding on the nearby hillside. The demons begged Jesus, "Send us among the pigs, allow us to go into them." He gave them permission, and the impure spirits came out and went into the pigs. The herd, about two thousand in number, rushed down the steep bank into the lake and were drowned."
Reichenau - St. Georg
10 Jan 2021 |
|
Reichenau Island is an island in Lake Constance. It lies west of the city of Konstanz. Since 1838 the island is connected to the mainland by a causeway.
The island was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2000 because of the important Abbey of Reichenau founded in 724 by Saint Pirmin, with patronage that included Charles Martel, Count Berthold of the Ahalolfinger and the Alemannian Duke Santfrid (aka Hnabi). It gained influence in the Carolingian dynasty, by educating the clerks who staffed Imperial and ducal chanceries. An important book collection was built up here.
The abbey housed a school, and a scriptorium and artists' workshop, that has a claim to have been the largest and artistically most influential centre for producing illuminated manuscripts in Europe during the late 10th and early 11th centuries, often known as the Reichenau School.
The Abbey reached its apex under Abbot Berno of Reichenau (1008–48). During his time, important scholars lived and worked in Reichenau. In the second half of the 11th century, the importance started to wane owing to rivalry with the nearby St. Gall. In 1540, the Bishop of Constance, an old rival of the Reichenau abbots, became lord of Reichenau, and, under the control of the succeeding bishops, the abbey's significance dwindled.
The church of St. Georg was part of the abbey. It was erected end of the 9th century. The Reichenau abbot Hatto III. received relics from Pope Formosus in Rome in 896 that included a piece of the skull of the martyr Georg. He brought the relic to Reichenau. The original church building comprised today's nave and the crypt. For this time, the nave was a very spacious building, the size of which was chosen for the expected veneration of Saint Georg. It got enlarged and altered a couple of times later.
Reichenau - St. Georg
10 Jan 2021 |
|
Reichenau Island is an island in Lake Constance. It lies west of the city of Konstanz. Since 1838 the island is connected to the mainland by a causeway.
The island was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2000 because of the important Abbey of Reichenau founded in 724 by Saint Pirmin, with patronage that included Charles Martel, Count Berthold of the Ahalolfinger and the Alemannian Duke Santfrid (aka Hnabi). It gained influence in the Carolingian dynasty, by educating the clerks who staffed Imperial and ducal chanceries. An important book collection was built up here.
The abbey housed a school, and a scriptorium and artists' workshop, that has a claim to have been the largest and artistically most influential centre for producing illuminated manuscripts in Europe during the late 10th and early 11th centuries, often known as the Reichenau School.
The Abbey reached its apex under Abbot Berno of Reichenau (1008–48). During his time, important scholars lived and worked in Reichenau. In the second half of the 11th century, the importance started to wane owing to rivalry with the nearby St. Gall. In 1540, the Bishop of Constance, an old rival of the Reichenau abbots, became lord of Reichenau, and, under the control of the succeeding bishops, the abbey's significance dwindled.
The church of St. Georg was part of the abbey. It was erected end of the 9th century. The Reichenau abbot Hatto III. received relics from Pope Formosus in Rome in 896 that included a piece of the skull of the martyr Georg. He brought the relic to Reichenau. The original church building comprised today's nave and the crypt. For this time, the nave was a very spacious building, the size of which was chosen for the expected veneration of Saint Georg. It got enlarged and altered a couple of times later.
St. Georg is known for its wonderful murals, created end of the 9th or 10th century.
The original murals had been overpainted in the 14th century. In the second half of the 18th century, the church got a whitewash - and the murals were forgotten. They got rediscovered in 1879 and subsequently uncovered.
Jesus Heals a Man Born Blind
John 9,1–7
"As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth. His disciples asked him, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?"
"Neither this man nor his parents sinned," said Jesus, "but this happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him. As long as it is day, we must do the works of him who sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work. While I am in the world, I am the light of the world."
After saying this, he spit on the ground, made some mud with the saliva, and put it on the man’s eyes. "Go,” he told him, "wash in the Pool of Siloam (this word means "Sent"). So the man went and washed, and came home seeing."
Reichenau - St. Georg
10 Jan 2021 |
|
Reichenau Island is an island in Lake Constance. It lies west of the city of Konstanz. Since 1838 the island is connected to the mainland by a causeway.
The island was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2000 because of the important Abbey of Reichenau founded in 724 by Saint Pirmin, with patronage that included Charles Martel, Count Berthold of the Ahalolfinger and the Alemannian Duke Santfrid (aka Hnabi). It gained influence in the Carolingian dynasty, by educating the clerks who staffed Imperial and ducal chanceries. An important book collection was built up here.
The abbey housed a school, and a scriptorium and artists' workshop, that has a claim to have been the largest and artistically most influential centre for producing illuminated manuscripts in Europe during the late 10th and early 11th centuries, often known as the Reichenau School.
The Abbey reached its apex under Abbot Berno of Reichenau (1008–48). During his time, important scholars lived and worked in Reichenau. In the second half of the 11th century, the importance started to wane owing to rivalry with the nearby St. Gall. In 1540, the Bishop of Constance, an old rival of the Reichenau abbots, became lord of Reichenau, and, under the control of the succeeding bishops, the abbey's significance dwindled.
The church of St. Georg was part of the abbey. It was erected end of the 9th century. The Reichenau abbot Hatto III. received relics from Pope Formosus in Rome in 896 that included a piece of the skull of the martyr Georg. He brought the relic to Reichenau. The original church building comprised today's nave and the crypt. For this time, the nave was a very spacious building, the size of which was chosen for the expected veneration of Saint Georg. It got enlarged and altered a couple of times later.
St. Georg is known for its wonderful murals, created end of the 9th or 10th century. Due to the restoration, only the left side of the nave could be seen. Without the scaffolding, the church would give an overall impression, how a church interior before the turn of the millennium looked like. The only other church similar to this is Müstair in Switzerland.
The original murals had been overpainted in the 14th century. In the second half of the 18th century, the church got a whitewash - and the murals were forgotten. They got rediscovered in 1879 and subsequently uncovered.
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "Reichenau" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter