Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Orléans

Orléans - Le Cygne

25 Mar 2015 1 181
The "Salon Lavoir Le Cygne" is a great laundromat. Of course "Rapide Auto Service", but with a nice, clean smell.

Orléans - Saint-Pierre-le-Puellier

25 Mar 2015 174
Erected within the 12th century it is probably the oldest church in Orléans, that is still standing. Though modified later, the Romanesque structure is still visible - and the old corbels are still "in situ". After the Revolution this was a salt storage, today the building is a cultural center and hosts exhibitions.

Orléans - Saint-Aignan

25 Mar 2015 2 2 256
Saint-Aignan is a former collegiate church, dedicated to Anianus, a fifth-century bishop of Orléans, who, according to legend, persuaded Attila the Hun not to sack the city. A convent existed already here in the 7th century. The status of this changed to a collegiate two centuries later. Hugo the Great as well as his son Hugo Capet hold the title "abbot" here (Hugo Capet was abbot of about five different abbeys). The collegiate burnt down when a great fire destroyed the city in 999. Only the crypt survived the blaze. A romanesque church was erected and consecrated in 1029. This church was teared down by the citizens of Orléans, fearing English troops could use the building as a fortification during the siege. Rebuilt in 1420 and demolished again in 1428, when the English returned. The next church here, financed by Louis XI (aka "Louis the Prudent"), was consecrated in 1509 and looted and burnt down by Huguenot troops in 1563. Rebuilding started, but the nave was given up. After the Revolution it was used as a "Temple de la Reconnaisance et de la Victoire". Today it belongs to the parish. Only the apse, the radiating chapels and four bays to the transept of this church still exist. Below is the old crypt. I would have liked to see it - but it was locked on a sunday.

Orléans - Campo Santo

25 Mar 2015 2 1 192
The Campo Santo, just next to the cathedral, was used as a cemetery between the 12th and the 18th century.

Orléans - Cathédrale Sainte-Croix

25 Mar 2015 239
A bishopric existed in Orléans since about 350, when the city was called Aurelianum. In the 12th century a large cathedral was erected in Romanesque style, but in 1227 the facade of this structure collapsed. It was decided to replace the building with a Gothic cathedral. The construction started in 1288 and was not completed in 1428, when Orléans was under siege. Joan of Arc's lifted the Siege of Orléans. She attended a Mass here in May 1429. During the Wars of Religion Huguenot troops took Orléans. Louis, Prince of Condé, who led the army, tried to save the cathedral. But bricking up the portals was not enough, some soldiers sneaked in and blew the crossing up. This caused the collapse of the structure in 1568. Henry IV (aka "Henri-Quatre") and his spouse Marie de' Medici laid out the foundation stone in 1601. The building work took very long. During the French Revolution the building of facade and towers stopped. When Charles X inaugurated the cathedral in May 1829, the building was not completed. So the cathedral was an often unattended construction site for more than 300 years. It is no surprise, that all reachable surfaces are covered with graffiti. Thousands of people left names, initials, dates..

Orléans - Cathédrale Sainte-Croix

25 Mar 2015 224
A bishopric existed in Orléans since about 350, when the city was called Aurelianum. In the 12th century a large cathedral was erected in Romanesque style, but in 1227 the facade of this structure collapsed. It was decided to replace the building with a Gothic cathedral. The construction started in 1288 and was not completed in 1428, when Orléans was under siege. Joan of Arc's lifted the Siege of Orléans. She attended a Mass here in May 1429. During the Wars of Religion Huguenot troops took Orléans. Louis, Prince of Condé, who led the army, tried to save the cathedral. But bricking up the portals was not enough, some soldiers sneaked in and blew the crossing up. This caused the collapse of the structure in 1568. Henry IV (aka "Henri-Quatre") and his spouse Marie de' Medici laid out the foundation stone in 1601. The building work took very long. During the French Revolution the building of facade and towers stopped. When Charles X inaugurated the cathedral in May 1829, the building was not completed. So the cathedral was an often unattended construction site for more than 300 years. It is no surprise, that all reachable surfaces are covered with graffiti. Thousands of people left names, initials, dates..

Orléans - Cathédrale Sainte-Croix

25 Mar 2015 1 235
A bishopric existed in Orléans since about 350, when the city was called Aurelianum. A predecessing cathedral was looted by the Normans in 865 and rebuilt by Caroligian Kings Carloman II and Arnulf of Carinthia. That church burnt down in a blaze in 999. In the 12th century a cathedral was erected in Romanesque style, but in 1227 the facade of this structure collapsed. It was decided to replace the building with a Gothic cathedral. The construction started in 1288 and was not completed in 1428, when Orléans was under siege. Joan of Arc's lifted the Siege of Orléans, what was her first major military victory. She attended a Mass here in May 1429. During the Wars of Religion Huguenot troops took Orléans. Louis, Prince of Condé, who led the army, tried to save the cathedral. But bricking up the portals was not enough, some fury soldiers sneaked in and blew the crossing up. This caused the collapse of the structure in 1568. Henry IV (aka "Henri-Quatre") and his spouse Marie de' Medici laid out the foundation stone in 1601. When the French Revolution started the building of facade and towers stopped. The towers got finally completed in the 19th century. When Charles X inaugurated the cathedral in May 1829, the building was not completed. It was part of the 400th anniversary of lifting the siege by Joan of Arc. The cathedral is 140m long.

Orléans - Cathédrale Sainte-Croix

24 Mar 2015 2 312
Noontime on a sunny sunday in Orléans. The Cathedral is the seat of the Bishop of Orléans. A bishopric existed in Orléans since about 350, when the city was called Aurelianum. A predecessing cathedral was looted by the Normans in 865 and rebuilt by Caroligian Kings Carloman II and Arnulf of Carinthia. That church burnt down in a blaze in 999. In the 12th century a large cathedral was erected in Romanesque style, but in 1227 the facade of this structure collapsed. It was decided to replace the building with a Gothic cathedral. The construction started in 1288 and was not completed in 1428, when Orléans was under siege. Joan of Arc's lifted the Siege of Orléans, what was her first major military victory. She attended a Mass here in May 1429. During the Wars of Religion Huguenot troops took Orléans. Louis, Prince of Condé, who led the army, tried to save the cathedral. But bricking up the portals was not enough, some fury soldiers climbed in and blew the crossing up, what caused the collapse of the structure in 1568. Henry IV (aka "Henri-Quatre") and his spouse Marie de' Medici laid out the foundation stone in 1601. In 1773 the new facade was completed, but when the French Revolution started the building of the towers stopped. The towers got finally completed in the 19th century. During WWII the cathedral was hit by shells - and renovations are still not finished.