Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Saint-Pierre-et-Saint-Paul

Ligny-le-Châtel - Saint-Pierre-et-Saint-Paul

19 May 2020 102
A Merovingian necropolis, containing 173 tombs, was discovered and excavated around 2000. It was located near a convent, dependent of the monastery Saint-Michel de Tonnerre, known since 814. The monastery here got completely destroyed during the Hundred Years War. Saint-Pierre-et-Saint-Paul is the parish church of Ligny-le-Châtel. There is a contrast between the nave and the choir, from the point of view of style and construction dates. Nave and the Romanesque bell tower are a construction of the 12the century. Between 1556 and 1610 the Gothic choir came to replace the old Romanesque one in a late Gothic style. Over the years, the church got pillaged and burnt down several times, and had to be rebuilt several times. Three of the many graffiti carved into the walls.

Ligny-le-Châtel - Saint-Pierre-et-Saint-Paul

19 May 2020 1 1 118
A Merovingian necropolis, containing 173 tombs, was discovered and excavated around 2000. It was located near a convent, dependent of the monastery Saint-Michel de Tonnerre, known since 814. The monastery here got completely destroyed during the Hundred Years War. Saint-Pierre-et-Saint-Paul is the parish church of Ligny-le-Châtel. There is a contrast between the nave and the choir, from the point of view of style and construction dates. Nave and the Romanesque bell tower are a construction of the 12the century. Between 1556 and 1610 the Gothic choir came to replace the old Romanesque one in a late Gothic style. Over the years, the church got pillaged and burnt down several times, and had to be rebuilt several times. The Gothic choir, "glued" onto the Romanesque nave in the 16th century.

Ligny-le-Châtel - Saint-Pierre-et-Saint-Paul

19 May 2020 78
A Merovingian necropolis, containing 173 tombs, was discovered and excavated around 2000. It was located near a convent, dependent of the monastery Saint-Michel de Tonnerre, known since 814. The monastery here got completely destroyed during the Hundred Years War. Saint-Pierre-et-Saint-Paul is the parish church of Ligny-le-Châtel. There is a contrast between the nave and the choir, from the point of view of style and construction dates. Nave and the Romanesque bell tower are a construction of the 12the century. Between 1556 and 1610 the Gothic choir came to replace the old Romanesque one in a late Gothic style. Over the years, the church got pillaged and burnt down several times, and had to be rebuilt several times. Inside the Romanesque nave. In the back the Gothic choir.

Ligny-le-Châtel - Saint-Pierre-et-Saint-Paul

19 May 2020 2 1 80
A Merovingian necropolis, containing 173 tombs, was discovered and excavated around 2000. It was located near a convent, dependent of the monastery Saint-Michel de Tonnerre, known since 814. The monastery here got completely destroyed during the Hundred Years War. Saint-Pierre-et-Saint-Paul is the parish church of Ligny-le-Châtel. There is a contrast between the nave and the choir, from the point of view of style and construction dates. Nave and the Romanesque bell tower are a construction of the 12the century. Between 1556 and 1610 the Gothic choir came to replace the old Romanesque one in a late Gothic style. Over the years, the church got pillaged and burnt down several times, and had to be rebuilt several times.

Ligny-le-Châtel - Saint-Pierre-et-Saint-Paul

19 May 2020 1 152
A Merovingian necropolis, containing 173 tombs, was discovered and excavated around 2000. It was located near a convent, dependent of the monastery Saint-Michel de Tonnerre, known since 814. The monastery here got completely destroyed during the Hundred Years War. Saint-Pierre-et-Saint-Paul is the parish church of Ligny-le-Châtel. There is a contrast between the nave and the choir, from the point of view of style and construction dates. Nave and the Romanesque bell tower are a construction of the 12the century. Between 1556 and 1610 the Gothic choir came to replace the old Romanesque one in a late Gothic style. Over the years, the church got pillaged and burnt down several times, and had to be rebuilt several times.

Caillac - Saint-Pierre-et-Saint-Paul

13 Apr 2020 1 132
The church was first mentioned around 1130, when it was donated to the Chapter of the Cahors Cathedral. The nave of the church was probably built end of the 12th century, but it got widely altered in the 15th and 16th century. At that time the transepts and the crossing tower were added to the structure. The portal to the single nave church is Romanesque, but it got "pimped up" during Renaissance time with inner archivolts. Here is a detail of the inner archivolts.

Caillac - Saint-Pierre-et-Saint-Paul

13 Apr 2020 139
The church was first mentioned around 1130, when it was donated to the Chapter of the Cahors Cathedral. The nave of the church was probably built end of the 12th century, but it got widely altered in the 15th and 16th century. At that time the transepts and the crossing tower were added to the structure. The portal to the single nave church is Romanesque, but it got "pimped up" during Renaissance time with inner archivolts.

Caillac - Saint-Pierre-et-Saint-Paul

13 Apr 2020 1 171
The church was first mentioned around 1130, when it was donated to the Chapter of the Cahors Cathedral. The nave of the church was probably built end of the 12th century, but it got widely altered in the 15th and 16th century. At that time the transepts and the crossing tower were added to the structure

Wissembourg - Saint-Pierre-et-Saint-Paul

14 Jan 2011 112
The border to Germany is just about a kilometer to the north and the Alsace had german and french periods over the centuries. So it is no wonder, that the most names carved around the portal of the former abbey-church "sound" german. These kind of graffitis are often done, when the churches are "unattended", what was e.g. often during the Wars of Religion or after the French Revolution. So it is surprising, that Mr. Vogt had the time to carve in his name so prominently already in 1783.

Wissembourg - Saint-Pierre-et-Saint-Paul

14 Jan 2011 135
Outside the choir of Saint-Pierre-et-Saint-Paul is this kind of "plaque". The graffiti is the hand. Via the words below it is tried to find an explanation for this pointing hand. It reads "HIE VOR IST DISS GEMICHET", what means "here it was done" or "here it happened". Actually nobody - today - knows what ever has happened here.

Villers-Saint-Paul - Saint-Pierre-et-Saint-Paul

23 Feb 2015 1 1 231
"Saint-Pierre-et-Saint-Paul" is not mentioned in any written document before the 13th century. Most historians agree, that the church was built not earlier than in the first half of the 12th century. About a century later, the Romanesque transept and choir got demolished - and replaced by the large Gothic structure, seen here. The tower was erected within the 13th century. The church was added to the list of "monuments historique" already in 1862, but the restoration process started end of the 19th century. The church was added to the list of "monuments historique" already in 1862, but the restoration process started end of the 19th century. Of course a church like this needs perpetual care. The walls of the nave are well conserved. They are decorated between the corbels with very unusual reliefs. These carvings were well protected under the roof and are not weathered. Some of them are fantastic and very mysterious. This bearded man looks similar to one found on one of the portal´s capital. But here is the complete body of the devil - with claws! There are more than 50 of these reliefs all around the old nave. I have uploaded 15 of them - and now will continue my travel.

Villers-Saint-Paul - Saint-Pierre-et-Saint-Paul

23 Feb 2015 217
"Saint-Pierre-et-Saint-Paul" is not mentioned in any written document before the 13th century. Most historians agree, that the church was built not earlier than in the first half of the 12th century. About a century later, the Romanesque transept and choir got demolished - and replaced by the large Gothic structure, seen here. The tower was erected within the 13th century. The church was added to the list of "monuments historique" already in 1862, but the restoration process started end of the 19th century. The church was added to the list of "monuments historique" already in 1862, but the restoration process started end of the 19th century. Of course a church like this needs perpetual care. The walls of the nave are well conserved. They are decorated between the corbels with very unusual reliefs. These carvings were well protected under the roof and are not weathered. Some of them are fantastic and very mysterious. The left person is bearded, so he for sure is male. There are no arms, just four legs.

Villers-Saint-Paul - Saint-Pierre-et-Saint-Paul

23 Feb 2015 218
"Saint-Pierre-et-Saint-Paul" is not mentioned in any written document before the 13th century. Most historians agree, that the church was built not earlier than in the first half of the 12th century. About a century later, the Romanesque transept and choir got demolished - and replaced by the large Gothic structure, seen here. The tower was erected within the 13th century. The church was added to the list of "monuments historique" already in 1862, but the restoration process started end of the 19th century. The church was added to the list of "monuments historique" already in 1862, but the restoration process started end of the 19th century. Of course a church like this needs perpetual care. The walls of the nave are well conserved. They are decorated between the corbels with very unusual reliefs. These carvings were well protected under the roof and are not weathered. Some of them are fantastic and very mysterious. A walking abbot/bishop with a crozier (but no mitra). He seems to bless the onlooker, while he is killing a small, evil creature (the devil!) with his crozier.

Villers-Saint-Paul - Saint-Pierre-et-Saint-Paul

23 Feb 2015 1 262
"Saint-Pierre-et-Saint-Paul" is not mentioned in any written document before the 13th century. Most historians agree, that the church was built not earlier than in the first half of the 12th century. About a century later, the Romanesque transept and choir got demolished - and replaced by the large Gothic structure, seen here. The tower was erected within the 13th century. The church was added to the list of "monuments historique" already in 1862, but the restoration process started end of the 19th century. The church was added to the list of "monuments historique" already in 1862, but the restoration process started end of the 19th century. Of course a church like this needs perpetual care. The walls of the nave are well conserved. They are decorated between the corbels with very unusual reliefs. These carvings were well protected under the roof and are not weathered. Some of them are fantastic and very mysterious. The devil looks like an identical twin of the creature just seen (previous upload), but this demon is not shy and does not hide his genitals. He has no "human" feet, but claws, that hold a little baby. Maybe a poor soul. The short legged guy on the corbel has a pair of very strange arms.

Villers-Saint-Paul - Saint-Pierre-et-Saint-Paul

23 Feb 2015 1 240
"Saint-Pierre-et-Saint-Paul" is not mentioned in any written document before the 13th century. Most historians agree, that the church was built not earlier than in the first half of the 12th century. About a century later, the Romanesque transept and choir got demolished - and replaced by the large Gothic structure, seen here. The tower was erected within the 13th century. The church was added to the list of "monuments historique" already in 1862, but the restoration process started end of the 19th century. The church was added to the list of "monuments historique" already in 1862, but the restoration process started end of the 19th century. Of course a church like this needs perpetual care. The walls of the nave are well conserved. They are decorated between the corbels with very unusual reliefs. These carvings were well protected under the roof and are not weathered. Some of them are fantastic and very mysterious. The corbels depicts a fork-beard and an insulting contortionist or flexible exhibitionist. The relief depicts an evil, frightening devil, holding a horned goat´s head to hide his genitals. (??)

Villers-Saint-Paul - Saint-Pierre-et-Saint-Paul

23 Feb 2015 240
"Saint-Pierre-et-Saint-Paul" is not mentioned in any written document before the 13th century. Most historians agree, that the church was built not earlier than in the first half of the 12th century. About a century later, the Romanesque transept and choir got demolished - and replaced by the large Gothic structure, seen here. The tower was erected within the 13th century. The church was added to the list of "monuments historique" already in 1862, but the restoration process started end of the 19th century. The church was added to the list of "monuments historique" already in 1862, but the restoration process started end of the 19th century. Of course a church like this needs perpetual care. The walls of the nave are well conserved. They are decorated between the corbels with very unusual reliefs. These carvings were well protected under the roof and are not weathered. Some of them are fantastic and very mysterious. Two flute players - grown together. The left one holds a pan flute, while the right flutist holds a kind of recorder.

Villers-Saint-Paul - Saint-Pierre-et-Saint-Paul

22 Feb 2015 205
"Saint-Pierre-et-Saint-Paul" is not mentioned in any written document before the 13th century. Most historians agree, that the church was built not earlier than in the first half of the 12th century. About a century later, the Romanesque transept and choir got demolished - and replaced by the large Gothic structure, seen here. The tower was erected within the 13th century. The church was added to the list of "monuments historique" already in 1862, but the restoration process started end of the 19th century. The church was added to the list of "monuments historique" already in 1862, but the restoration process started end of the 19th century. Of course a church like this needs perpetual care. The walls of the nave are well conserved. They are decorated between the corbels with very unusual reliefs. These carvings were well protected under the roof and are not weathered. Some of them are fantastic and very mysterious. One of the best looking sirens I have ever seen. For a while I saw an octopus near the siren's feet.

Villers-Saint-Paul - Saint-Pierre-et-Saint-Paul

22 Feb 2015 190
"Saint-Pierre-et-Saint-Paul" is not mentioned in any written document before the 13th century. Most historians agree, that the church was built not earlier than in the first half of the 12th century. About a century later, the Romanesque transept and choir got demolished - and replaced by the large Gothic structure, seen here. The tower was erected within the 13th century. The church was added to the list of "monuments historique" already in 1862, but the restoration process started end of the 19th century. The church was added to the list of "monuments historique" already in 1862, but the restoration process started end of the 19th century. Of course a church like this needs perpetual care. The walls of the nave are well conserved. They are decorated between the corbels with very unusual reliefs. These carvings were well protected under the roof and are not weathered. Some of them are fantastic and very mysterious. Here is a (sleeping) mermaid.

29 items in total