Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: mythical creature

Jerichow - Kloster Jerichow

24 May 2023 1 78
The Slavs built Jerichow Castle (the name is of Slavic origin - "castle of the brave" - so not biblical) to defend their western border. Jerichow was first mentioned at the end of 1144 when Premonstratensian canons founded the Jerichow Monastery. In 1148 the canons relocated the site because of the disturbing market activity. The monastery was founded in 1144 as a Premonstratensian monastery. The first Premonstratensian canons came from Magdeburg. In 1149 the construction of the collegiate church was started. In 1172 the church and the east wing were completed. Then, between 1180 and 1200, the construction of a crypt took place. In addition, the church was extended by the side choirs and the construction of the winter refectory and the office building followed. The summer refectory and the cloister were built between 1220 and 1230. Around the year 1250, the construction of the monastery buildings was finally completed. The two prominent towers were built in front of the church only in 1256-1262. Accordingly, they show predominantly Gothic forms. After the Reformation, Jerichow Monastery was dissolved in the 16th century. The last canons had to leave the monastery. During the Thirty Years' War, the Premonstratensians returned. In 1631 imperial and Swedish troops devastated the monastery building. In 1680 Jerichow finally became under Brandenburg rule. On the orders of Elector Friedrich Wilhelm of Brandenburg, the collegiate church was restored in 1685 and used as a new Reformed church for the Huguenot refugees. Between 1853 and 1856, the monastery and its church were restored at the request of King Frederick William IV of Prussia, but around 1870 it was used as a brewery and distillery. At the end of WWII, the western facade of the church was damaged. After the war there was a fire in the roof truss. Between 1955 and 1960, in GDR times, the monastery church was repaired and the Romanesque interior was restored. The damage to the other buildings was severe. In 1998, the entire monastery complex had to be closed by the building authorities due to structural damage. Thus, in 1998, the entire complex had to be placed under the protection of the building supervisory authority and closed as unsafe and unfit for use. Further repair and restoration work in 1999 lifted the order, but it continued for several years. The collegiate church is a five-bay, flat-roofed basilica. According to a document from 1172, it was essentially completed by this time. Despite the early construction time for Central Germany, the building already has a perfect brick construction technique. It is assumed that this technique was imparted by professionals from northern Italy, who continued to work on smaller church buildings after the completion of the collegiate church. The architecture of this church had a strong influence on the surrounding village churches, in which the building program was adopted in a reduced form. This pillar was part of the "Chorherren Portal" (portal of the Canons). Through this portal the canons entered the church. The column is decorated with mythical creatures.

Alpirsbach - Kloster Alpirsbach

06 Jan 2021 138
In 1095 three noblemen donated a remote piece of land in the Black Forest to the Order of Saint Benedict in 1095. The monastery, that was founded, was settled by monks from "Kloster St. Blasien". The Bishop of Constance consecrated the first stone oratorio in 1099. In 1101 the monastery was placed under papal protection by Pope Paschal II. Emperor Heinrich V confirmed these rights in 1123. The monastery was strongly influenced by Kloster Hirsau, a centre of the Cluniac Reforms. So the second and third abbots came from Hirsau. The abbey church, a flat-roofed three-aisled basilica with a transept, a choir and side choirs was completed in 1133. It was consecrated three years earlier to Saint Nicholas. The blueprint of the church followed the Cluniac/Hirsau scheme. The founders had endowed Kloster Alpirsbach with a number of villages when Count Adalbert joined the monastery around 1100, he donated property in the wine-growing Breisgau region. The monastery to prospered and entered an economic boom in the early 15th century. The decline started some decades later and at the end of that century, the abbey was heavily in debt. In 1522, Alpirsbach's prior Ambrosius Blarer left the monastery after being stripped of his position. Blarer, who had been giving Lutheran sermons at the monastery and had met and befriended the Lutheran reformer Philip Melanchthon, returned to Württemberg in 1534 to become one of Duke Ulrich's chief reformers. In 1556, Duke Christoph dissolved the monastery. The buildings were used for Protestant seminaries and boarding schools. The Alpirsbach seminary lasted from 1556 to 1595 and taught around 200 students. Today the former abbey is used for cultural events like concerts and exhibitions. There is as well a very interesting museum. The pillars´ capitals were carved around 1130. Depicted here scenes of torture in hell, out of the pillars´ bases lurk evil creatures.

Alpirsbach - Kloster Alpirsbach

06 Jan 2021 102
In 1095 three noblemen donated a remote piece of land in the Black Forest to the Order of Saint Benedict in 1095. The monastery, that was founded, was settled by monks from "Kloster St. Blasien". The Bishop of Constance consecrated the first stone oratorio in 1099. In 1101 the monastery was placed under papal protection by Pope Paschal II. Emperor Heinrich V confirmed these rights in 1123. The monastery was strongly influenced by Kloster Hirsau, a centre of the Cluniac Reforms. So the second and third abbots came from Hirsau. The abbey church, a flat-roofed three-aisled basilica with a transept, a choir and side choirs was completed in 1133. It was consecrated three years earlier to Saint Nicholas. The blueprint of the church followed the Cluniac/Hirsau scheme. The founders had endowed Kloster Alpirsbach with a number of villages when Count Adalbert joined the monastery around 1100, he donated property in the wine-growing Breisgau region. The monastery to prospered and entered an economic boom in the early 15th century. The decline started some decades later and at the end of that century, the abbey was heavily in debt. In 1522, Alpirsbach's prior Ambrosius Blarer left the monastery after being stripped of his position. Blarer, who had been giving Lutheran sermons at the monastery and had met and befriended the Lutheran reformer Philip Melanchthon, returned to Württemberg in 1534 to become one of Duke Ulrich's chief reformers. In 1556, Duke Christoph dissolved the monastery. The buildings were used for Protestant seminaries and boarding schools. The Alpirsbach seminary lasted from 1556 to 1595 and taught around 200 students. Today the former abbey is used for cultural events like concerts and exhibitions. There is as well a very interesting museum. The capitals in Alpirsbach were carved around 1130. Depicted here are poor souls, tortured by evil creatures after the Last Judgment.