Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: puppy
Avignon - Palais des Papes
13 Jan 2020 |
|
Avignon was Greek Emporium around 539 BC. Much later it became a Roman colony, named "Colonia Julia Hadriana Avenniensis". During the migration period the Goths looted the town and in 472 Avignon was sacked by the Burgundians.
In 500 Clovis I, King of the Franks besieged Avignon as his arch-enemy Gondebaud had taken refuge here. Clovis devastated the fields, cut down the vines and olive trees, and destroyed the orchards.
In 734 it fell into the hands of the Saracens and was destroyed in 737 by Charles Martel´s Franks. Avignon recovered and in 916 King of Provence Louis the Blind restored the churches of Saint-Ruf and Saint-Géniès to the diocese of Avignon. At the end of the 9th century, Avignon suffered again by Muslim attacks.
After the division of Charlemagne´s empire, Avignon was owned jointly by the Count of Provence and the Count of Toulouse. In 1135 the rights were resigned to the local Bishops and Consuls.
At the end of the 12th century, Avignon declared itself an independent republic. When in 1226, the citizens refused to open the gates to King Louis VIII of France, the French besieged the Avignon and after it was captured forced it to pull down its ramparts .
In 1271, Philip III of France inherited Avignon and passed it to his son Philip the Fair in 1285. It passed in turn in 1290 to Charles II of Naples.
The University of Avignon was founded by Pope Boniface VIII in 1303 and was famed as a seat of legal studies, flourishing until the French Revolution.
In 1309 the city was chosen by Pope Clement V as his residence at the time of the Council of Vienne. Avignon, rather than Rome was the seat of the Papacy. It became the Pontifical residence under Pope Clement V in 1309. His successor, John XXII made it the capital of Christianity and transformed the former episcopal palace into the primary Palace of the Popes.
Under the Papal rule, the Court seethed and attracted many painters, sculptors and musicians. The Gothic palace was the result of the joint work of the best French architects. The papal library in Avignon was the largest in Europe in the 14th century with 2,000 volumes.
Gregory XI decided to return to Rome. His death caused the Great Schism. Clement VII and Benedict XIII reigned again in Avignon. Overall it was nine popes who succeeded in the papal palace.
Avignon was a papal possession up to the French Revolution.
---
The construction of the strongly fortified Palais, that is one of the largest medieval structures in Europe, began in 1252. The Palais was built in two phases with two distinct segments, known as the "Palais Vieux" and "Palais Neuf". By the time of its completion, it occupied an area of 11,000 m².
The Palais Vieux was constructed by Pierre Poisson of Mirepoix at the instruction of Pope Benedict XII. Benedict had the original episcopal palace razed and replaced with a much larger building centred on a cloister, heavily fortified against attackers. Under Popes Clement VI, Innocent VI and Urban V, the building was expanded to form what is now known as the Palais Neuf.
After the Popes finally returned to Rome, the Palais (and the city) remained under papal control, but the state Palais gradually deteriorated. In 1789 it was seized and sacked by revolutionary forces. Under Napoleon the Palais was used as a military barracks and prison.
A dog with a puppy and a mermaid.
Daoulas - Abbaye Notre-Dame
28 Oct 2014 |
|
|
A small convent, founded by Saint Jaoua, had existed here already within the 6th century. This got destroyed by during the Norman raids.
Around 1100 an abbey (Augustin Canons) was founded and prospered at least over the first centuries. Already before the French Revolution, most buildings were in very bad condition, but after the Revolution, when the last Canons had left, the parish was unable to maintain the structures. End of the 19th century, after lots of valuable works had vanished, a major reconstruction took place - and saved, what can be seen today.
The basilica was the church of the former abbey, before it was transformed into the parish church. The structure partly collapsed in the late 18th century. A crossing tower was demolished after the French Revolution, when the church was in "Private property". The choir was added/reconstructed in 1875.
The cloister, erected within the 12th century, was sold the first time in 1793 and changed hands quite often after that. Some of the owners demolished parts -and sold them. When the reconstruction and renovation started in 1881, there were only two crumbling sides left.
The octagonal fountain, seen here, was probably placed in the cloister since the 12th century, used for ablutions in medieval times. The fountain is decorated with masks and lots of geometric patterns, but on one side depicts a dog (with a puppy?). Louise-Marie Tillet ("Bretagne Romane") sees Irish influences
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "puppy" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter