Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: West Lothian
Linlithgow - Loch
08 Jan 2025 |
|
|
Linlithgow Loch lies immediately north of the town below Linlithgow Castle
Linlithgow - Palace
08 Jan 2025 |
|
In the Middle Ages, Linlithgow rose to prominence as a royal town and residence, centred on Linlithgow Palace, a residence of the Scottish kings on the raised hill beside the loch, as it was a logical stopover between Edinburgh to the east and Stirling to the west.
In the Middle Ages, Linlithgow rose to prominence as a royal town and residence, centred on Linlithgow Palace, a residence of the Scottish kings on the raised hill beside the loch, as it was a logical stopover between Edinburgh to the east and Stirling to the west.
The palace was one of the principal residences of the monarchs of Scotland in the 15th and 16th centuries. Mary, Queen of Scots, was born at Linlithgow Palace in 1542. The security of the palace by fitting was increaed by iron window grills. Regent Arran was worried his enemies, including Cardinal Beaton, would take Mary. He considered putting the queen in Blackness Castle, a stronger fortress. Henry VIII hoped that Mary would be separated from her mother and taken to Tantallon Castle. Mary was teething and plans to move her were delayed.
Following lengthy negotiations between the armed factions at Linlithgow, Mary was taken to Stirling Castle by her mother, escorted by the Earl of Lennox, and an armed force. As an adult Queen Mary often visited Linlithgow, but did not commission new building work at the palace.
After the Union of the Crowns in 1603 the Royal Court became largely based in England and Linlithgow was used very little. The North Range, said to be in very poor condition and collapsed in 1607. In 1746 the palace burned out.
Linlithgow - Palace
08 Jan 2025 |
|
In the Middle Ages, Linlithgow rose to prominence as a royal town and residence, centred on Linlithgow Palace, a residence of the Scottish kings on the raised hill beside the loch, as it was a logical stopover between Edinburgh to the east and Stirling to the west.
In the Middle Ages, Linlithgow rose to prominence as a royal town and residence, centred on Linlithgow Palace, a residence of the Scottish kings on the raised hill beside the loch, as it was a logical stopover between Edinburgh to the east and Stirling to the west.
The palace was one of the principal residences of the monarchs of Scotland in the 15th and 16th centuries. Mary, Queen of Scots, was born at Linlithgow Palace in 1542. The security of the palace by fitting was increaed by iron window grills. Regent Arran was worried his enemies, including Cardinal Beaton, would take Mary. He considered putting the queen in Blackness Castle, a stronger fortress. Henry VIII hoped that Mary would be separated from her mother and taken to Tantallon Castle. Mary was teething and plans to move her were delayed.
Following lengthy negotiations between the armed factions at Linlithgow, Mary was taken to Stirling Castle by her mother, escorted by the Earl of Lennox, and an armed force. As an adult Queen Mary often visited Linlithgow, but did not commission new building work at the palace.
After the Union of the Crowns in 1603 the Royal Court became largely based in England and Linlithgow was used very little. The North Range, said to be in very poor condition and collapsed in 1607. In 1746 the palace burned out.
Linlithgow - St Michael's Parish Church
08 Jan 2025 |
|
|
In the Middle Ages, Linlithgow rose to prominence as a royal town and residence, centred on Linlithgow Palace, a residence of the Scottish kings on the raised hill beside the loch, as it was a logical stopover between Edinburgh to the east and Stirling to the west.
In later centuries, Linlithgow became a centre of leather and other material manufacturing before developing rapidly in the Victorian era with the opening of the Union Canal in the 1820s and the arrival of the railway in 1842. Today Linlithgow is a bustling town with a population of around 13,000.
King David I of Scotland granted a charter for the establishment of the church in 1138. St Michael's was built on the site of the older church and was consecrated in 1242. Following a fire in 1424, most of the present building dates from the 15th century. Built immediately to the south of Linlithgow Palace, the church was much favoured as a place of worship by Scottish Kings and Queens.
Mary, Queen of Scots, was born in Linlithgow Palace in 1542 and was baptised in St Michael's Church. In 1559, at an early stage of the Scottish Reformation, Protestants destroyed the statues adorning the exterior and interior of the church. In 1646, Oliver Cromwell's troops stabled their horses within the nave. Following the departure of the troops, considerable restoration was required.
By the early 19th century, the church was in a very poor physical condition. Although repairs were made, many of the historic features of the church were destroyed. While other repairs were completed and the church was rededicated in 1896, the tower was too weakened for restoration of the original crown steeple. In 1964, an aluminium crown was installed.
The gate on the left is the entrance to the Linlithgow Palace
Linlithgow - St Michael's Parish Church
08 Jan 2025 |
|
|
|
In the Middle Ages, Linlithgow rose to prominence as a royal town and residence, centred on Linlithgow Palace, a residence of the Scottish kings on the raised hill beside the loch, as it was a logical stopover between Edinburgh to the east and Stirling to the west.
In later centuries, Linlithgow became a centre of leather and other material manufacturing before developing rapidly in the Victorian era with the opening of the Union Canal in the 1820s and the arrival of the railway in 1842. Today Linlithgow is a bustling town with a population of around 13,000.
King David I of Scotland granted a charter for the establishment of the church in 1138. St Michael's was built on the site of the older church and was consecrated in 1242. Following a fire in 1424, most of the present building dates from the 15th century. Built immediately to the south of Linlithgow Palace, the church was much favoured as a place of worship by Scottish Kings and Queens.
Mary, Queen of Scots, was born in Linlithgow Palace in 1542 and was baptised in St Michael's Church. In 1559, at an early stage of the Scottish Reformation, Protestants destroyed the statues adorning the exterior and interior of the church. In 1646, Oliver Cromwell's troops stabled their horses within the nave. Following the departure of the troops, considerable restoration was required.
By the early 19th century, the church was in a very poor physical condition. Although repairs were made, many of the historic features of the church were destroyed. While other repairs were completed and the church was rededicated in 1896, the tower was too weakened for restoration of the original crown steeple. In 1964, an aluminium crown was installed.
Linlithgow - the Cross Well
07 Jan 2025 |
|
|
In the Middle Ages, Linlithgow rose to prominence as a royal town and residence, centred on Linlithgow Palace, a residence of the Scottish kings on the raised hill beside the loch, as it was a logical stopover between Edinburgh to the east and Stirling to the west.
In later centuries, Linlithgow became a centre of leather and other material manufacturing before developing rapidly in the Victorian era with the opening of the Union Canal in the 1820s and the arrival of the railway in 1842.
Today Linlithgow is a bustling town with a population of around 13,000.
The fountain dates back to the mid-16th century, but the current structure was built in 1807 by Robert Gray, a one-armed stonemason from Edinburgh. Robert built a replica of an earlier structure from 1628. The fountain is carved in the shape of a crown and has recently been refurbished.
=Linlithgow - Cross Well
07 Jan 2025 |
|
In the Middle Ages, Linlithgow rose to prominence as a royal town and residence, centred on Linlithgow Palace, a residence of the Scottish kings on the raised hill beside the loch, as it was a logical stopover between Edinburgh to the east and Stirling to the west.
In later centuries, Linlithgow became a centre of leather and other material manufacturing before developing rapidly in the Victorian era with the opening of the Union Canal in the 1820s and the arrival of the railway in 1842.
Today Linlithgow is a bustling town with a population of around 13,000.
The fountain dates back to the mid-16th century, but the current structure was built in 1807 by Robert Gray, a one-armed stonemason from Edinburgh. Robert built a replica of an earlier structure from 1628. The fountain is carved in the shape of a crown and has recently been refurbished.
Kinneil - James Watt's workshop
07 Jan 2025 |
|
|
|
Located west of Bo'ness, Kinneil House is the heart of the Kinneil Estate. This imposing mansion dates back to the 16th century. The house was saved from demolition in 1936 when 16th century wall paintings were discovered.
Towards the end of the 13th century, the future King Robert I granted the lands in what was then West Lothian to Walter fitz Gilbert, the oldest known ancestor of the Hamilton clan. After James Hamilton, 2nd Earl of Arran was appointed regent for the underage Queen Mary Stuart, he had Kinneil House expanded around 1550. In the course of the conflicts following the queen's fall, James Douglas, 4th Earl of Morton had the building attacked and large parts of it blown up with gunpowder.
Kinneil House received its current appearance when Anne Hamilton, 3rd Duchess of Hamilton had extensive renovations and additions made between 1677 and 1688 to create a seat for the House of Hamilton.
In the late 18th century, Dr John Roebuck, founder of the Carron Iron Works lived at Kinneil House, during which time the engineer James Watt worked at perfecting his steam engine, in this cottage adjacent to the house.
Kinneil - Church
07 Jan 2025 |
|
|
At the end of the 17th century this was the parish church of a substantial village. Only some gravestones remain of this village.
The earlest documentary evidence to the Kirk of Kinneil is in the reign of Malcolm IV, King of Scots, 1153 - 1165. The church was probably erected in the mid 12th century.
Kinneil - House
07 Jan 2025 |
|
Located west of Bo'ness, Kinneil House is the heart of the Kinneil Estate. This imposing mansion dates back to the 16th century. The house was saved from demolition in 1936 when 16th century wall paintings were discovered.
Towards the end of the 13th century, the future King Robert I granted the lands in what was then West Lothian to Walter fitz Gilbert, the oldest known ancestor of the Hamilton clan. After James Hamilton, 2nd Earl of Arran was appointed regent for the underage Queen Mary Stuart, he had Kinneil House expanded around 1550. In the course of the conflicts following the queen's fall, James Douglas, 4th Earl of Morton had the building attacked and large parts of it blown up with gunpowder.
Kinneil House received its current appearance when Anne Hamilton, 3rd Duchess of Hamilton had extensive renovations and additions made between 1677 and 1688 to create a seat for the House of Hamilton.
The Forth Bridges
04 Jan 2025 |
|
|
The Forth Bridge was opened in 1890. It is an icon that is recognized worldwide as the most famous cantilever design. When it opened in 1890, the cantilever bridge had the largest span of any bridge in the world. It is considered to be the first bridge to be made entirely of steel, as opposed to the wrought iron used until then. The Forth Bridge was completely renovated between 2002 and 2012. It is still in regular use, with around 200 trains crossing it every day.
-
The Forth Road Bridge is a suspension bridge. The bridge opened in 1964 and at the time was the longest suspension bridge in the world outside the United States. The bridge replaced a centuries-old ferry service to carry vehicular traffic, cyclists and pedestrians across the Forth.
-
Queensferry Crossing was built alongside the existing Forth Road Bridge and the Forth Bridge carries the M90 motorway across the Firth of Forth. It is is a three-tower cable-stayed bridge, with an overall length 2.7 kilometres. It was opened for traffic in 2017 by Queen Elizabeth II.
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "West Lothian" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter