Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: castle
Gjirokastër
31 Oct 2024 |
|
|
|
Gjirokastër, today a city with a population of about 20.000, developed on the hill where the castle is located in the Middle Ages. The first fortification dates to the 5th-6th centuries CE during the period of Slavic migrations. It was expanded in the 9th-10th centuries and urban development in the castle area dates to the 13th-14th centuries. During this period, Gjirokastër developed into a center known in medieval sources as Argyrokastron, meaning "Silver Castle". The city was first mentioned by the name Argyrokastro in 1336.
The Albanian Zenebishi clan held Gjirokastër by the end of the century. In this era, the city was contested between the Italian and Serbian rulers. It was taken by the Ottomans in 1418. During the Ottoman period conversions to Islam and an influx of Muslim converts from the surrounding countryside made Gjirokastër go from being an overwhelmingly Christian city in the 16th century into one with a large Muslim population by the early 19th century.
In the 1570s local nobles discussed as Greek representative of enslaved Greece and Albania with the head of the Holy League, John of Austria, the possibility of an anti-Ottoman armed struggle, but this initiative was fruitless.
During the communist regime the city was elevated to the status of a museum town, as it was the birthplace of dictatorial ruler of the People's Socialist Republic of Albania Enver Hoxha.
Inside the castle
Chaves - Castelo de Chaves
16 Sep 2024 |
|
People have lived in this area since the Neolithic period, but it has been continuously inhabited since the conquest by Roman legions, who established an outpost and took over the existing castros in the area. It developed into a military centre known for its baths. The Romans built defensive walls, spanned the river with a bridge, and exploited the local mines. The importance of the town led to it being elevated to the status of a city in 79 AD, during the reign of the first Flavian Caesar, which was also reflected in its name, Aquae Flaviae.
Rome's hegemony lasted until the 3rd century, when, successively, the Suebi and Visigoths as well as the Alani colonized the settlements of Chaves. The area surrendered to Islamic forces at around 714-716. The city was conquered by Alfonso I of Asturias in 773 and repopulated in 868 by Alfonso III of Asturias. Battles between Christian and Muslim forces then continued until the 11th century, when Alfonso V of León permanently reconquered Coimbra, establishing a firm buffer-zone to the south. He reconstructed, settled and encircled the settlement of Chaves with walls, in addition to establishing a Jewish quarter in the community. It was in the reign of Afonso I of Portugal that it was taken from León and firmly integrated into the Kingdom of Portugal domain (1160). Owing to its geographic location King Denis, ordered the construction of a castle to protect the kingdom's border.
Alburquerque - Castillo de Luna
26 Aug 2024 |
|
|
The origin of the town is usually associated with the reconquest under Ferdinand II in 1166, whose successes were, however, cancelled out by a Moorish counter-offensive in 1184. It was only under the young King Ferdinand III that the area finally fell to the Christians in 1217. In the following year, Alfonso Téllez de Meneses began building a border fortress, which was extended around 100 years later by Álvaro de Luna, the Constable of Castile and Grand Master of the Order of Santiago.
Despite the definitive demarcation of the border between the Kingdom of Castile and the Kingdom of Portugal in the Treaty of Badajoz (1267), numerous military disputes continued thereafter, which only came to a temporary end with the personal union between the two countries, which lasted from 1580 to 1640. Conquistadors and colonisers from Alburquerque played an important role in the discovery and conquest of America and the Philippines, which is reflected in the founding of the cities of Albuquerque (New Mexico) and Alburquerque (Philippines).
Redondo - Castelo
14 Aug 2024 |
|
|
The region around Redondo was inhabited by various prehistoric cultures, including the Neolithic and Chalcolithic peoples.
During the Middle Ages, Redondo played a strategic role in the defense of the Portuguese territory. It was situated near the border with the Kingdom of Castile, and the castle of Redondo was built to protect the region from invasions.
In 1250 King D. Afonso III ordered the construction of a castle over the ruins of the ancient Roman fortress. The castle was part of the northern Alentejo fortifications. By order of King D. Dinis, in 1312, the castle was reconstructed, during the same epoch as the erection of the keep tower and the fortification wall and towers.
Seen here is the main gate
Sandomierz - Zamek
13 Apr 2022 |
|
|
|
Sandomierz was one of the most important cities in the Polish section of the Via Regia, taking advantage of the location at the junction of the Vistula and San rivers. The first known historical mention of the city comes from the early 12th-century when it was already ranked as one of the main cities of Poland. The testament of Bolesław III Wrymouth, in which he divided Poland among his sons, designated Sandomierz as the capital of one of the resulting principalities, the Duchy of Sandomierz.
In the early 13th century, the second oldest Dominican monastery in Poland was founded in Sandomierz. Within the 13th century, the city suffered grievous damage during the raids by Mongols in 1241, 1260, and 1287. The wooden buildings of the town were completely destroyed. As a result, in 1286 Leszek II the Black, effectively refounded the city.
After the reunification of the Polish lands in the 14th century, the former principality became the Sandomierz Voivodeship, incorporating large areas of southeastern Poland. In the middle of the 14th century, the city was burned again during a raid by the Lithuanians. It was rebuilt during the rule of Casimir III of Poland, who extended its privileges. The layout of the city has survived practically unchanged from that time until the present day.
Sandomierz prospered until the middle of the 17th century, but the prosperity came to an end in 1655 when Swedish troops captured the city. After briefly holding out in the city, the withdrawing Swedes blew up the castle and caused heavy damage to other buildings. A great fire in 1757 and the First Partition of Poland in 1772, which placed Sandomierz in Austria, further reduced its status.
In 1809, during the Napoleonic Wars, fighting between the forces of Austria and the Duchy of Warsaw caused damage to the city. It became part of the short-lived Polish Duchy of Warsaw and after 1815 it found itself in the Russian Empire ("Congress Poland").
-
Shortly after the Lithuanian invasion (1349), but shortly thereafter Casimir III ordered to build a new defensive brick castle on a slope of the Vistula River to replace the former fortress.
The original building was blown up by the Swedish troops in 1656, leaving only the west wing standing. It was later transformed into a Renaissance-style residence with the west wing preserved as a museum.
A view like in France: vineyards and castle.
Sandomierz - Zamek
12 Apr 2022 |
|
|
Sandomierz was one of the most important cities in the Polish section of the Via Regia, taking advantage of the location at the junction of the Vistula and San rivers. The first known historical mention of the city comes from the early 12th-century when it was already ranked as one of the main cities of Poland. The testament of Bolesław III Wrymouth, in which he divided Poland among his sons, designated Sandomierz as the capital of one of the resulting principalities, the Duchy of Sandomierz.
In the early 13th century, the second oldest Dominican monastery in Poland was founded in Sandomierz. Within the 13th century, the city suffered grievous damage during the raids by Mongols in 1241, 1260, and 1287. The wooden buildings of the town were completely destroyed. As a result, in 1286 Leszek II the Black, effectively refounded the city.
After the reunification of the Polish lands in the 14th century, the former principality became the Sandomierz Voivodeship, incorporating large areas of southeastern Poland. In the middle of the 14th century, the city was burned again during a raid by the Lithuanians. It was rebuilt during the rule of Casimir III of Poland, who extended its privileges. The layout of the city has survived practically unchanged from that time until the present day.
Sandomierz prospered until the middle of the 17th century, but the prosperity came to an end in 1655 when Swedish troops captured the city. After briefly holding out in the city, the withdrawing Swedes blew up the castle and caused heavy damage to other buildings. A great fire in 1757 and the First Partition of Poland in 1772, which placed Sandomierz in Austria, further reduced its status.
In 1809, during the Napoleonic Wars, fighting between the forces of Austria and the Duchy of Warsaw caused damage to the city. It became part of the short-lived Polish Duchy of Warsaw and after 1815 it found itself in the Russian Empire ("Congress Poland").
-
Shortly after the Lithuanian invasion (1349), but shortly thereafter Casimir III ordered to build a new defensive brick castle on a slope of the Vistula River to replace the former fortress.
The original building was blown up by the Swedish troops in 1656, leaving only the west wing standing. It was later transformed into a Renaissance-style residence with the west wing preserved as a museum.
Seen in the background is the Kościół św. Jakuba / Church of St. James.
Lublin - Zamek
10 Apr 2022 |
|
|
A fortress of a regional tribe is attested here. After its destruction, Casimir I the Restorer, son of Mieszko II Lambert, had a castle built here.
In 1205 Roman of Volhynia unsuccessfully besieged the castle. In 1241 Lublin was destroyed by the Tatars. In 1244 the place was conquered by Lithuanians, in the same year, Daniel Romanovich of Galicia conquered and fortified it.
Under the protection of the castle, the settlement developed into a trade center. In 1317 it received the town charter. In the 15th and 16th centuries, the town grew rapidly. The largest trade fairs of the Polish-Lithuanian community were held in Lublin. In the 16th century, the parliaments (Sejm) of the Kingdom of Poland were held in Lublin several times. At one of the most important ones, the "Union of Lublin" was proclaimed in 1569, uniting Poland and Lithuania. After the capital was moved from Krakow to Warsaw in 1596, Lublin was located away from the main traffic and trade routes. As a result, there was an economic and cultural decline.
In the course of the Counter-Reformation, the Protestants were forcibly expelled from the city in 1631, so many merchants emigrated. In 1655 Cossacks sacked the town and the following year Swedish soldiers. After the Northern War, the reconstruction of the town began. Stanislaus II August Poniatowski allowed Protestants to settle in the city again. At this time, a significant Jewish community was also established. The Jews were an important part of life in the city until the Holocaust. During WWII they were deported by Nazi Germany to the infamous Lublin Ghetto and eventually murdered.
After the Third Partition of Poland in 1795, Lublin was part of the Austrian Empire, after the Austro-Polish War of 1809 it was part of the short-lived Polish Duchy of Warsaw, and in 1815 it was part of Congress Poland as part of the Russian partition of Poland. Russian rule ended in 1915 when the city was occupied by German and Austro-Hungarian armies. After the end of WWI, the Provisional People's Government of the Republic of Poland - the first government of independent Poland - was based in Lublin for a short time.
-
The castle is of medieval origin, established by High Duke Casimir II the Just. In the first half of the 13th century, the stone keep was built, which by now is the oldest standing building in Lublin.
During the Jagiellonian dynasty, members of the royal family often stayed here. The castle was expanded and rebuilt to its present size in the 16th century. The most historically significant event of the castle took place in 1569 when the Treaty of Lublin was signed at the castle. This was the founding act of Poland-Lithuania.
As a result of the wars in the 17th century, the castle deteriorated. Only the tower and the chapel remained intact. After Lublin came under Russian rule as a result of the Congress of Vienna in 1815, a complete restoration of the castle was carried out in the 1820s by Congress Poland. The castle was built in neo-Gothic style, except for the tower and the chapel.
then the castle served as a prison for the next 128 years: as a Tsarist prison from 1831 to 1915, in independent Poland from 1918 to 1939, and most infamously during the Nazi occupation of the city from 1939 to 1944. After 1944 the castle continued to serve as a prison until 1954.
Lublin - Zamek
10 Apr 2022 |
|
|
A fortress of a regional tribe is attested here. After its destruction, Casimir I the Restorer, son of Mieszko II Lambert, had a castle built here.
In 1205 Roman of Volhynia unsuccessfully besieged the castle. In 1241 Lublin was destroyed by the Tatars. In 1244 the place was conquered by Lithuanians, in the same year, Daniel Romanovich of Galicia conquered and fortified it.
Under the protection of the castle, the settlement developed into a trade center. In 1317 it received the town charter. In the 15th and 16th centuries, the town grew rapidly. The largest trade fairs of the Polish-Lithuanian community were held in Lublin. In the 16th century, the parliaments (Sejm) of the Kingdom of Poland were held in Lublin several times. At one of the most important ones, the "Union of Lublin" was proclaimed in 1569, uniting Poland and Lithuania. After the capital was moved from Krakow to Warsaw in 1596, Lublin was located away from the main traffic and trade routes. As a result, there was an economic and cultural decline.
In the course of the Counter-Reformation, the Protestants were forcibly expelled from the city in 1631, so many merchants emigrated. In 1655 Cossacks sacked the town and the following year Swedish soldiers. After the Northern War, the reconstruction of the town began. Stanislaus II August Poniatowski allowed Protestants to settle in the city again. At this time, a significant Jewish community was also established. The Jews were an important part of life in the city until the Holocaust. During WWII they were deported by Nazi Germany to the infamous Lublin Ghetto and eventually murdered.
After the Third Partition of Poland in 1795, Lublin was part of the Austrian Empire, after the Austro-Polish War of 1809 it was part of the short-lived Polish Duchy of Warsaw, and in 1815 it was part of Congress Poland as part of the Russian partition of Poland. Russian rule ended in 1915 when the city was occupied by German and Austro-Hungarian armies. After the end of WWI, the Provisional People's Government of the Republic of Poland - the first government of independent Poland - was based in Lublin for a short time.
-
The castle is of medieval origin, established by High Duke Casimir II the Just. In the first half of the 13th century, the stone keep was built, which by now is the oldest standing building in Lublin.
During the Jagiellonian dynasty, members of the royal family often stayed here. The castle was expanded and rebuilt to its present size in the 16th century. The most historically significant event of the castle took place in 1569, when the Treaty of Lublin was signed at the castle. This was the founding act of Poland-Lithuania.
As a result of the wars in the 17th century, the castle deteriorated. Only the tower and the chapel, remained intact. After Lublin came under Russian rule as a result of the Congress of Vienna in 1815, a complete restoration of the castle was carried out in the 1820s by Congress Poland. The castle was built in neo-Gothic style, with the exception of the tower and the chapel.
Then the castle served as a prison for the next 128 years: as a Tsarist prison from 1831 to 1915, in independent Poland from 1918 to 1939, and most infamously during the Nazi occupation of the city from 1939 to 1944. After 1944 the castle continued to serve as a prison until 1954.
Cēsis - Pils
01 Mar 2022 |
|
Cēsis (German: Wenden) is known since the 11th century, when the Livonian Brothers of the Sword built a castle here, that later served as the residence for the Order's Master.
In 1577, during the Livonian War, the garrison destroyed the castle to prevent it from falling into the control of Ivan the Terrible, who was defeated in the Battle of Wenden in 1578. In 1620 Wenden was conquered by Sweden. It was rebuilt but destroyed again in 1703 during the Great Northern War by the Russian army.
The castle is located in the centre of the city. In the middle Ages it was one of the most important footholds for the Teutonic Order in the Baltics, but nowadays it is an impressive and well-preserved castle ruin, hosting a museum.
Bovino
13 Aug 2020 |
|
|
|
Bovino, named Vibinum by the Romans, has a long history. After the end of the Roman empire, it was conquered by the Lombards but got destroyed in 663 during the war with the Byzantines, who requonquered and rebuilt it from 876 on. During the Norman conquest of southern Italy in the 11th centiry Bovino was one of the last strongholds of the Byzantines and after the Normans had taken it, they started to build this huge castle.
Castillo de Loarre
20 Dec 2014 |
|
The building of this fortress was started by Sancho III of Navarre (aka "Sancho el Mayor") in 1020, after his troops had reconquered the surrounding lands from the Muslims. This was a strategic place, near the frontier between Christian and Muslim lands.
In 1073 a community of Augustinian canons was installed here and the church and the crypt date probably back to the end of the 11th century. Unfortunately I hit the siesta-hours again, so the castle was locked for visitors.
Moing - Saint-Martin
16 Nov 2014 |
|
The place belonged to the Abbey Saint-Étienne in Baignes (16kms south) end of the 11th century, when the nave of Saint-Martin was built. The apse was added within the 12th century.
When in 1953 conservators washed and peeled off the last coat of white paint and plaster from the 12th century walls of the apse, they discovered - graffitti!
When in the 12th century the walls were completed, but not yet covered with plaster, some unknown person covered the side walls with graffiti. Over square meters!
On the southern side (seen here) are sketches of warlike situations.
Here is a pillar (a calvarie?), a church with a very large bishop or abbot (wears a mitra) and below a fortified building (castle) with a huge gate.
Viviers-lès-Montagnes - Château
29 Jan 2012 |
|
During the 12th century a Benedictine priory, depending from Castres. existed here. Centuries later the place on the hill got fortified strongly to form a "bastide". Today it is a quiet place, dominated by the the castle.
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "castle" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter