Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: sepulchre

Paderborn - Busdorf-Church

07 Mar 2010 122
In 1033 Bishop Meinwerk ordered Abbot Wino von Helmarshausen to travel to Jerusalem to take the measurements of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. Wino returned with the blueprint from his long journey to Paderborn - and Meinwerk started to build the Busdorf-Church (named after a former village). The church was octogonal with added rectangular apses. Only one original apse, flanked by the steeples, has survived. The bigger part of the Busdorf-Church of today was erected after a fire within the 14th centrury. Maybe the builders of the Drüggelte-chappel, that is about 50kms west, used the blueprint from Jerusalem..

Bergamo - Santa Maria Maggiore

13 Sep 2017 2 291
Bergamo was the settlement of a Celtic tribe but got conquered by the Romans in 196 BC. Looted by Attila´s troops in the 5th century, it became the capital of a Lombardian duchy a century later. After the conquest of the Lombard Kingdom by Charlemagne, the Franks ruled here. End of the 11th century Bergamo had become an independent commune, with a lot of feuding between the local the Guelph and Ghibelline factions. In 1428 Bergamo was ceded in 1428 by the Duchy of Milan to the Republic of Venice and was transformed into a fortified city, protecting the trade routes leading into the Rhine Valley. The French Revolutionary Army ended more than three centuries of Venetian rule in 1797. Bergamo was part of the "Cisalpine Republic". At Congress of Vienna, Bergamo was assigned to the (Austrian) Kingdom of Lombardy–Venetia. Giuseppe Garibaldi conquered Bergamo in 1859. The city was incorporated into the newly founded Kingdom of Italy. Bergamo´s two centres are the Città alta ("upper city"), a hilltop medieval town, and the Città bassa ("lower city"). Next to the Duomo di Bergamo, opening to the Piazza Duomo, is the "Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore". The church was founded in 1137 on the site of aan older church and the altar was consecrated in 1185, but during the 13th and 15th century the works slowed down and the Romanesque church never got completed. The interior of Santa Maria Maggiore has been radically changed, compared to the original Romanesque structure, by decorations in stucco and marble from the 17th century. The Cappella Colleoni, added to the basilica between 1472 and 1476 hosts the tombs of Bartolomeo Colleoni and his daughter Medea. But there are more tombs. Here is a details from the sepulchre of Johann Simon Mayr (aka "Giovanni Simone Mayr") (see previous upload). Johann Simon Mayr was born in Bavaria in 1763. He was appointed "Maestro di Cappella" at the Cathedral of Bergamo and was music teacher to Gaetano Donizetti.

Bergamo - Santa Maria Maggiore

13 Sep 2017 305
Bergamo was the settlement of a Celtic tribe but got conquered by the Romans in 196 BC. Looted by Attila´s troops in the 5th century, it became the capital of a Lombardian duchy a century later. After the conquest of the Lombard Kingdom by Charlemagne, the Franks ruled here. End of the 11th century Bergamo had become an independent commune, with a lot of feuding between the local the Guelph and Ghibelline factions. In 1428 Bergamo was ceded in 1428 by the Duchy of Milan to the Republic of Venice and was transformed into a fortified city, protecting the trade routes leading into the Rhine Valley. The French Revolutionary Army ended more than three centuries of Venetian rule in 1797. Bergamo was part of the "Cisalpine Republic". At Congress of Vienna, Bergamo was assigned to the (Austrian) Kingdom of Lombardy–Venetia. Giuseppe Garibaldi conquered Bergamo in 1859. The city was incorporated into the newly founded Kingdom of Italy. Bergamo´s two centres are the Città alta ("upper city"), a hilltop medieval town, and the Città bassa ("lower city"). Next to the Duomo di Bergamo, opening to the Piazza Duomo, is the "Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore". The church was founded in 1137 on the site of aan older church and the altar was consecrated in 1185, but during the 13th and 15th century the works slowed down and the Romanesque church never got completed. The interior of Santa Maria Maggiore has been radically changed, compared to the original Romanesque structure, by decorations in stucco and marble from the 17th century. The Cappella Colleoni, added to the basilica between 1472 and 1476 hosts the tombs of Bartolomeo Colleoni and his daughter Medea. But there are more tombs. The sepulchre of Johann Simon Mayr (aka "Giovanni Simone Mayr"), born in Bavaria in 1763. He was appointed "Maestro di Cappella" at the Cathedral of Bergamo and was music teacher to Gaetano Donizetti (see previous upload).

Bergamo - Santa Maria Maggiore

13 Sep 2017 203
Bergamo was the settlement of a Celtic tribe but got conquered by the Romans in 196 BC. Looted by Attila´s troops in the 5th century, it became the capital of a Lombardian duchy a century later. After the conquest of the Lombard Kingdom by Charlemagne, the Franks ruled here. End of the 11th century Bergamo had become an independent commune, with a lot of feuding between the local the Guelph and Ghibelline factions. In 1428 Bergamo was ceded in 1428 by the Duchy of Milan to the Republic of Venice and was transformed into a fortified city, protecting the trade routes leading into the Rhine Valley. The French Revolutionary Army ended more than three centuries of Venetian rule in 1797. Bergamo was part of the "Cisalpine Republic". At Congress of Vienna, Bergamo was assigned to the (Austrian) Kingdom of Lombardy–Venetia. Giuseppe Garibaldi conquered Bergamo in 1859. The city was incorporated into the newly founded Kingdom of Italy. Bergamo´s two centres are the Città alta ("upper city"), a hilltop medieval town, and the Città bassa ("lower city"). Next to the Duomo di Bergamo, opening to the Piazza Duomo, is the "Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore". The church was founded in 1137 on the site of aan older church and the altar was consecrated in 1185, but during the 13th and 15th century the works slowed down and the Romanesque church never got completed. The interior of Santa Maria Maggiore has been radically changed, compared to the original Romanesque structure, by decorations in stucco and marble from the 17th century. The Cappella Colleoni, added to the basilica between 1472 and 1476 hosts the tombs of Bartolomeo Colleoni and his daughter Medea. But there are more tombs. The sepulchre of Gaetano Donizetti, who was born in Bergamo in 1797. Gaetano Donizetti, who composed about 70 operas, was a leading composer during the first half of the 19th century.

Bergamo - Santa Maria Maggiore

13 Sep 2017 238
Bergamo was the settlement of a Celtic tribe but got conquered by the Romans in 196 BC. Looted by Attila´s troops in the 5th century, it became the capital of a Lombardian duchy a century later. After the conquest of the Lombard Kingdom by Charlemagne, the Franks ruled here. End of the 11th century Bergamo had become an independent commune, with a lot of feuding between the local the Guelph and Ghibelline factions. In 1428 Bergamo was ceded in 1428 by the Duchy of Milan to the Republic of Venice and was transformed into a fortified city, protecting the trade routes leading into the Rhine Valley. The French Revolutionary Army ended more than three centuries of Venetian rule in 1797. Bergamo was part of the "Cisalpine Republic". At Congress of Vienna, Bergamo was assigned to the (Austrian) Kingdom of Lombardy–Venetia. Giuseppe Garibaldi conquered Bergamo in 1859. The city was incorporated into the newly founded Kingdom of Italy. Bergamo´s two centres are the Città alta ("upper city"), a hilltop medieval town, and the Città bassa ("lower city"). Next to the Duomo di Bergamo, opening to the Piazza Duomo, is the "Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore". The church was founded in 1137 on the site of aan older church and the altar was consecrated in 1185, but during the 13th and 15th century the works slowed down and the Romanesque church never got completed. The interior of Santa Maria Maggiore has been radically changed, compared to the original Romanesque structure, by decorations in stucco and marble from the 17th century. The Cappella Colleoni, added to the basilica between 1472 and 1476 hosts the tombs of Bartolomeo Colleoni and his daughter Medea. But there are more tombs. The sepulchre of Cardinale Guglielmo Longhi, who died in Avignon in 1319, was created by Ugo da Campione. The tomb was moved into the basilica, when the church it had been for centuries got demolished in the 19th century.