Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Tewkesbury Abbey

Tewkesbury - Abbey

04 May 2024 3 74
The name of the town comes from Theoc, an Anglo-Saxon who is said to have founded a hermitage here in the 7th century, which was called Theocsbury. The cell was succeeded by a monastery in 715. In the 10th century it became a priory subordinate of the Cranborne Abbey. In 1087, William the Conqueror gave the manor of Tewkesbury to Robert Fitzhamon, who, with the Abbot of ranborne,founded the present abbey in 1092. Building of the present abbey church did not start until 1102, employing Caen stone imported from Normandy. Robert Fitzhamon died in 1107, but his son-in-law, Robert FitzRoy, who was made Earl of Gloucester, continued to fund the building work. In the High Middle Ages, Tewkesbury became one of the richest abbeys of England. After the Battle of Tewkesbury in the Wars of the Roses in 1471, some of the defeated Lancastrians sought sanctuary in the abbey. The victorious Yorkists, led by Edward IV, forced their way into the abbey; the resulting bloodshed caused the building to be closed for a month until it could be purified and re-consecrated. After the dissolution of the monasteries the people of Tewkesbury saved the abbey from destruction. Insisting that it was their parish church which they had the right to keep, they bought it from the Crown for £453.

Tewkesbury - Abbey

04 May 2024 2 68
The name of the town comes from Theoc, an Anglo-Saxon who is said to have founded a hermitage here in the 7th century, which was called Theocsbury. The cell was succeeded by a monastery in 715. In the 10th century it became a priory subordinate of the Cranborne Abbey. In 1087, William the Conqueror gave the manor of Tewkesbury to Robert Fitzhamon, who, with the Abbot of ranborne,founded the present abbey in 1092. Building of the present abbey church did not start until 1102, employing Caen stone imported from Normandy. Robert Fitzhamon died in 1107, but his son-in-law, Robert FitzRoy, who was made Earl of Gloucester, continued to fund the building work. In the High Middle Ages, Tewkesbury became one of the richest abbeys of England. After the Battle of Tewkesbury in the Wars of the Roses in 1471, some of the defeated Lancastrians sought sanctuary in the abbey. The victorious Yorkists, led by Edward IV, forced their way into the abbey; the resulting bloodshed caused the building to be closed for a month until it could be purified and re-consecrated. After the dissolution of the monasteries the people of Tewkesbury saved the abbey from destruction. Insisting that it was their parish church which they had the right to keep, they bought it from the Crown for £453.

Tewkesbury - Abbey

04 May 2024 3 96
The name of the town comes from Theoc, an Anglo-Saxon who is said to have founded a hermitage here in the 7th century, which was called Theocsbury. The cell was succeeded by a monastery in 715. In the 10th century it became a priory subordinate of the Cranborne Abbey. In 1087, William the Conqueror gave the manor of Tewkesbury to Robert Fitzhamon, who, with the Abbot of ranborne,founded the present abbey in 1092. Building of the present abbey church did not start until 1102, employing Caen stone imported from Normandy. Robert Fitzhamon died in 1107, but his son-in-law, Robert FitzRoy, who was made Earl of Gloucester, continued to fund the building work. In the High Middle Ages, Tewkesbury became one of the richest abbeys of England. After the Battle of Tewkesbury in the Wars of the Roses in 1471, some of the defeated Lancastrians sought sanctuary in the abbey. The victorious Yorkists, led by Edward IV, forced their way into the abbey; the resulting bloodshed caused the building to be closed for a month until it could be purified and re-consecrated. After the dissolution of the monasteries the people of Tewkesbury saved the abbey from destruction. Insisting that it was their parish church which they had the right to keep, they bought it from the Crown for £453.

Tewkesbury - Abbey

04 May 2024 2 57
The name of the town comes from Theoc, an Anglo-Saxon who is said to have founded a hermitage here in the 7th century, which was called Theocsbury. The cell was succeeded by a monastery in 715. In the 10th century it became a priory subordinate of the Cranborne Abbey. In 1087, William the Conqueror gave the manor of Tewkesbury to Robert Fitzhamon, who, with the Abbot of ranborne,founded the present abbey in 1092. Building of the present abbey church did not start until 1102, employing Caen stone imported from Normandy. Robert Fitzhamon died in 1107, but his son-in-law, Robert FitzRoy, who was made Earl of Gloucester, continued to fund the building work. In the High Middle Ages, Tewkesbury became one of the richest abbeys of England. After the Battle of Tewkesbury in the Wars of the Roses in 1471, some of the defeated Lancastrians sought sanctuary in the abbey. The victorious Yorkists, led by Edward IV, forced their way into the abbey; the resulting bloodshed caused the building to be closed for a month until it could be purified and re-consecrated. After the dissolution of the monasteries the people of Tewkesbury saved the abbey from destruction. Insisting that it was their parish church which they had the right to keep, they bought it from the Crown for £453.

Tewkesbury - Abbey

04 May 2024 2 80
The name of the town comes from Theoc, an Anglo-Saxon who is said to have founded a hermitage here in the 7th century, which was called Theocsbury. The cell was succeeded by a monastery in 715. In the 10th century it became a priory subordinate of the Cranborne Abbey. In 1087, William the Conqueror gave the manor of Tewkesbury to Robert Fitzhamon, who, with the Abbot of ranborne,founded the present abbey in 1092. Building of the present abbey church did not start until 1102, employing Caen stone imported from Normandy. Robert Fitzhamon died in 1107, but his son-in-law, Robert FitzRoy, who was made Earl of Gloucester, continued to fund the building work. In the High Middle Ages, Tewkesbury became one of the richest abbeys of England. After the Battle of Tewkesbury in the Wars of the Roses in 1471, some of the defeated Lancastrians sought sanctuary in the abbey. The victorious Yorkists, led by Edward IV, forced their way into the abbey; the resulting bloodshed caused the building to be closed for a month until it could be purified and re-consecrated. After the dissolution of the monasteries the people of Tewkesbury saved the abbey from destruction. Insisting that it was their parish church which they had the right to keep, they bought it from the Crown for £453.

Deerhurst - St Mary's Priory Church

02 May 2024 2 74
Much of St Mary's Priory Church is Anglo-Saxon. It was built in the 8th century, when Deerhurst was part of the Anglo-Saxon kingdom of Mercia. In 804 St Mary's was part of a Benedictine monastery. In about 1060 King Edward the Confessor granted the monastery to the Abbey of St Denis in France, making it an alien priory. In 1250 Richard, 1st Earl of Cornwall stayed at St Denis and bought the priory from the abbot. He took over the priory, dispersed the monks and planned to build a castle at Deerhurst. However, the purchase was reversed and by 1264 St Denis abbey again possessed the priory. During the war in the 14th century King Edward III seized alien priories in England in 1337, so that their incomes went to him instead of their mother houses in France. By 1400 King Henry IV had restored the priory to the Abbey of St Denis. But King Henry VI seized the priory in 1443. In 1461 Edward of York deposed the Lancastrian Henry VI and was crowned King Edward IV. He granted the priory to Tewkesbury Abbey, on condition that the abbot maintain a prior and four monks at Deerhurst. Tewkesbury Abbey and its priories were suppressed in the Dissolution of the Monasteries. Deerhurst Priory and all of its estates were surrendered to the Crown in 1540. The church was restored and altered in the 10th century after the Viking invasion of England. It was enlarged early in the 13th century and altered in the 14th and 15th centuries. A Saxon baptismal font from the 9th century, carved from a single block of limestone. It was thrown away in 1653 and rediscovered in 1843 on a local farm, where it was used as a cattle trough. The base was found 26 years later in an inn.

Deerhurst -St Mary's Priory Church

02 May 2024 4 1 80
Much of St Mary's Priory Church is Anglo-Saxon. It was built in the 8th century, when Deerhurst was part of the Anglo-Saxon kingdom of Mercia. In 804 St Mary's was part of a Benedictine monastery. In about 1060 King Edward the Confessor granted the monastery to the Abbey of St Denis in France, making it an alien priory. In 1250 Richard, 1st Earl of Cornwall stayed at St Denis and bought the priory from the abbot. He took over the priory, dispersed the monks and planned to build a castle at Deerhurst. However, the purchase was reversed and by 1264 St Denis abbey again possessed the priory. During the war in the 14th century King Edward III seized alien priories in England in 1337, so that their incomes went to him instead of their mother houses in France. By 1400 King Henry IV had restored the priory to the Abbey of St Denis. But King Henry VI seized the priory in 1443. In 1461 Edward of York deposed the Lancastrian Henry VI and was crowned King Edward IV. He granted the priory to Tewkesbury Abbey, on condition that the abbot maintain a prior and four monks at Deerhurst. Tewkesbury Abbey and its priories were suppressed in the Dissolution of the Monasteries. Deerhurst Priory and all of its estates were surrendered to the Crown in 1540. The church was restored and altered in the 10th century after the Viking invasion of England. It was enlarged early in the 13th century and altered in the 14th and 15th centuries. This beast has survived all the renovations and remodelling of the church for more than 800 years.

Deerhurst -St Mary's Priory Church

02 May 2024 3 77
Much of St Mary's Priory Church is Anglo-Saxon. It was built in the 8th century, when Deerhurst was part of the Anglo-Saxon kingdom of Mercia. In 804 St Mary's was part of a Benedictine monastery. In about 1060 King Edward the Confessor granted the monastery to the Abbey of St Denis in France, making it an alien priory. In 1250 Richard, 1st Earl of Cornwall stayed at St Denis and bought the priory from the abbot. He took over the priory, dispersed the monks and planned to build a castle at Deerhurst. However, the purchase was reversed and by 1264 St Denis abbey again possessed the priory. During the war in the 14th century King Edward III seized alien priories in England in 1337, so that their incomes went to him instead of their mother houses in France. By 1400 King Henry IV had restored the priory to the Abbey of St Denis. But King Henry VI seized the priory in 1443. In 1461 Edward of York deposed the Lancastrian Henry VI and was crowned King Edward IV. He granted the priory to Tewkesbury Abbey, on condition that the abbot maintain a prior and four monks at Deerhurst. Tewkesbury Abbey and its priories were suppressed in the Dissolution of the Monasteries. Deerhurst Priory and all of its estates were surrendered to the Crown in 1540. The church was restored and altered in the 10th century after the Viking invasion of England. It was enlarged early in the 13th century and altered in the 14th and 15th centuries.

Deerhurst -St Mary's Priory Church

01 May 2024 6 2 101
Much of St Mary's Priory Church is Anglo-Saxon. It was built in the 8th century, when Deerhurst was part of the Anglo-Saxon kingdom of Mercia. In 804 St Mary's was part of a Benedictine monastery. In about 1060 King Edward the Confessor granted the monastery to the Abbey of St Denis in France, making it an alien priory. In 1250 Richard, 1st Earl of Cornwall stayed at St Denis and bought the priory from the abbot. He took over the priory, dispersed the monks and planned to build a castle at Deerhurst. However, the purchase was reversed and by 1264 St Denis abbey again possessed the priory. During the war in the 14th century King Edward III seized alien priories in England in 1337, so that their incomes went to him instead of their mother houses in France. By 1400 King Henry IV had restored the priory to the Abbey of St Denis. But King Henry VI seized the priory in 1443. In 1461 Edward of York deposed the Lancastrian Henry VI and was crowned King Edward IV. He granted the priory to Tewkesbury Abbey, on condition that the abbot maintain a prior and four monks at Deerhurst. Tewkesbury Abbey and its priories were suppressed in the Dissolution of the Monasteries. Deerhurst Priory and all of its estates were surrendered to the Crown in 1540. The church was restored and altered in the 10th century after the Viking invasion of England. It was enlarged early in the 13th century and altered in the 14th and 15th centuries.

Deerhurst - St Mary's Priory Church

01 May 2024 1 69
Much of St Mary's Priory Church is Anglo-Saxon. It was built in the 8th century, when Deerhurst was part of the Anglo-Saxon kingdom of Mercia. In 804 St Mary's was part of a Benedictine monastery. In about 1060 King Edward the Confessor granted the monastery to the Abbey of St Denis in France, making it an alien priory. In 1250 Richard, 1st Earl of Cornwall stayed at St Denis and bought the priory from the abbot. He took over the priory, dispersed the monks and planned to build a castle at Deerhurst. However, the purchase was reversed and by 1264 St Denis abbey again possessed the priory. During the war in the 14th century King Edward III seized alien priories in England in 1337, so that their incomes went to him instead of their mother houses in France. By 1400 King Henry IV had restored the priory to the Abbey of St Denis. But King Henry VI seized the priory in 1443. In 1461 Edward of York deposed the Lancastrian Henry VI and was crowned King Edward IV. He granted the priory to Tewkesbury Abbey, on condition that the abbot maintain a prior and four monks at Deerhurst. Tewkesbury Abbey and its priories were suppressed in the Dissolution of the Monasteries. Deerhurst Priory and all of its estates were surrendered to the Crown in 1540. The church was restored and altered in the 10th century after the Viking invasion of England. It was enlarged early in the 13th century and altered in the 14th and 15th centuries.