Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: falconer
Pamplona - Museo de Navarra
27 Jun 2024 |
|
In 74 BC, the Roman city was founded by Pompejus on the site of a local settlement. The city served to secure the Pyrenees crossing from Roncesvalles.
Pamplona was destroyed several times in the course of its history:
466 by the Visigoths, 542 by the Franks, 778 by Charlemagne, 924 by Abd ar-Rahman III and in 1521 during the Franco-Spanish War by troops of Francis I.
Its location on the Way of St. James from France gave the capital of the Kingdom of Navarre a boom in the 11th century. With the division of Navarre, the city ultimately came to Spain.
After the conquest of the country and its incorporation into Castile in 1512-1515, Pamplona became one of the outposts of the Spanish crown on the French border. Its mission for 300 years was to secure the border against a possible invasion from France. Fortifications and walls were a vital system of defense, but at the same time prevented the city from expanding.
The museum is located in the old hospital “Nuestra Señora de la Misericordia de Pamplona” from the 16th century. However, only the facade with the main entrance and the former chapel remain of the hospital.
The Leyre Casket (Arqueta de Leyre)
This is one of the jewels of Hispano-Arab Islamic art.
The casket was carved during the Caliphate of Cordoba. The year of production is given as 395 AH (1004/1005 CE). The casket was produced for ʿAbd al-Malik, political and military leader of the caliphate from 1002 to 1008. ʿAbd al-Malik is best known for being the son of Almanzor, vizier of Hisham II, but also military leader and strong politician of the caliphate.
At some point, as Christian kingdoms raided or conquered al-Andalus, the casket came into Christian hands and was donated to the Monastery of Leyre (from which it takes its name). At Leyre the casket was repurposed as a reliquary to hold the remains of Saints Nunilo and Alodia, believed to have been executed as apostates during persecutions of Christians by ʿAbd al-Raḥman II, emir of Cordoba, on the mid-ninth century.
The casket was later held by the Church of Santa María la Real in Sangüesa and the Treasury of the Cathedral of Pamplona.
A detail - hunting scenes
Bari - Cattedrale di San Sabino
05 Sep 2020 |
|
|
Bari was an early settlement and passed under Roman rule in the 3rd century BC. It developed strategic significance as the point of junction between the coast road and the Via Traiana and as a port for eastward trade. The first bishop of Bari was Gervasius who is known from the Council of Sardica in 347.
After the decline of the Roman Empire, the town was devasted and taken by Alaric´s Visigothic troops, then was under Lombardian rule, before the Byzantines took over. In 755 it was conquered by Pepin the Short (Charlemagne´s father) and from 847 on it was an Islamic Emirate. The Byzantine fleet returned in 871 and since 885 Bari ws the residence of the local Byzantine governor.
Following a three-year siege, Bari was captured by Robert Guiscard in 1071. After the relics of Saint Nicholas, which were surreptitiously brought from Myra in Lycia (Byzantine territory), arrived in Bari, the Basilica di San Nicola was founded in 1087. This attracted pilgrims, whose encouragement and care became central to the economy of Bari. Pope Urban II consecrated the Basilica in 1089. In 1096 a crusader army embarked in the port of Bari for the First Crusade.
After the murder of archbishop Griso in 1117 a civil war broke our and the control was seized by Grimoald Alferanites, a native Lombard, in opposition to the Normans. He later did homage to Roger II of Sicily, but rebelled and was defeated in 1132.
The Castello Normanno-Svevo (aka "Castello di Bari") was probably built around 1132 by Norman King Roger II. When in 1155 the Baresi rebelled against the Normans, the castle got destroyed, so as a retaliatory action, William I of Sicily (aka William the Wicked") had the city destroyed except for the cathedral and the Basilica of St. Nicola.
Bari recovered and had its heydays under Frederick II. When he returned from his crusade after 1229, the city gates were locked so he had to use force to gain entry. Therefore, he probably had the fort built in 1233 to keep the city in check. On the other hand, he granted the city generous trade privileges and left it the leading role in the region.
-
The construction of the "Cattedrale di San Sabino" (aka "Bari Cathedral" started around 1170 on. The cathedral is the seat of the Archbishop of Bari-Bitonto. It is dedicated to Saint Sabinus, a bishop of Canosa, whose relics were brought here in the 9th century.
It was erected on the site of the ruins of the Imperial Byzantine cathedral, destroyed in 1156 by William I of Sicily with the rest of the city.
For the reconstruction of the cathedral materials from the preceding church and other destroyed buildings got reused. During the 18th century the façade, the nave and aisles and the crypt were refurbished in Baroque style. The building later underwent a series of refurbishments, demolitions and extensions. The original Romanesque appearance of the interior was restored in the 1950s.
The chancel screen does not longer exist, but there are some remains like this relief, signed by the artist "Peregrinus stirpe Salerni". Seen here is a falconer.
Emperor Frederick II is the author of the first treatise on the subject of falconry. It is titled "De Arte Venandi cum Avibus" ( = "The Art of Hunting with Birds") and was written in the 1240s.
Pavia - San Michele Maggiore
05 Nov 2015 |
|
|
|
Pavia once was the last stronghold of the Ostrogoths, but was conquered by the Lombards (aka Longobards) after a three-years-siege in 572.
From the 7th century on Pavia was the capital of the Lombard kingdom. A chapel, dedicated to Saint Michel, existed here as part of the palace, when the Lombards ruled from here.
When Frankish troops invaded Northern Italy and defeated the Lombard armee in 773, Charlemagne laid siege to Pavia. After taking the fortified town, Charlemagne crowned himself King of the Lombards.
The former palace-chapel burnt down in 1005, about a century after the Hungarians (= "Magyars") had looted Pavia.
The church seen here was begun in the 11th century and was completed by 1155. In 900 the chapel had seen the coronation of Louis III (aka "Louis the Blind", as he was blinded in 905 by Berengar). In the current church Frederick I (aka "Frederick Barbarossa") received the Iron Crown and the title of King of Italy.
The basilica´s facade was built from sandstone, what means most carvings are very weathered. This may have been a falconer on horseback. Falconry was a very prestigious sport in medieval times. Only high ranking nobles could afford it.
www.sanmichelepavia.it/html/en_home.html
Lucca - San Michele in Foro
01 Sep 2015 |
|
Lucca existed already in Etruscan times and became a Roman colony in 180 BC. The Diocese of Lucca dates back to the first century, legends tell, that St. Paulinus, a disciple of St. Peter, was the first Bishop of Lucca. In medieval times Lucca was the residence of the Margraves of Tuscany. After the death of Matilda of Tuscany (1115), Lucca constituted itself as an independent republic. Actually the "Republic of Lucca" existed from 1160 to 1805.
San Michele in Foro was built over the ancient Roman forum in the center of Lucca. A church existed right here already end of the 9th century. Pope Alexander II, who had been bishop in Lucca before he made carreer in Rome , started the construction of the church, seen here, after 1070.
It took centuries to complete this building. Diotisalvi and Guidetto da Como have worked here in the 13th century. Unfortunately (for me!) it is not always clear, wether the ornaments are 13th century - or a result of the renovation of the 19th century.
Animals, even very mythical ones and hunters can be seen all over the facade. Here is a falconer (similar to his colleague on the facade of the near Duomo) in the center. On the pillar below the inlay is a mermaid.
Lucca - Duomo di Lucca
26 Aug 2015 |
|
|
Lucca existed already in Etruscan times and became a Roman colony in 180 BC. The Diocese of Lucca dates back to the first century, legends tell, that St. Paulinus, a disciple of St. Peter, was the first Bishop of Lucca. In medieval times Lucca was the residence of the Margraves of Tuscany. After the death of Matilda of Tuscany (1115), Lucca constituted itself as an independent republic. Actually the "Republic of Lucca" existed from 1160 to 1805.
The Cathedral of Saint Martin is the seat of the Archbishop of Lucca. The construction of the cathedral started in 1063, when Anselm (later Pope Alexander II) was bishop here.
The western facade was begun in 1204 by Guido Bigarelli, who later sculpted (and signed!) the the octogonal baptismal font in the center of the Pisan Baptistery. He is one of the many gifted artists, that came from the area around the Lake Como and are known as "Comacine masters".
The facade consists of three arches. Above the portico are three open galleries adorned with sculptures and carvings. Here is a detail.
The marble frieze has many fantastic animals, dogs and this falconer. Falconry was a privilege of the high nobility. Frederick II, Holy Roman Emperor and head of the House of Hohenstaufen, wrote "De Arte Venandi cum Avibus" ("The Art of Hunting with Birds").
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "falconer" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter