Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: tracery

New Romney - St Nicholas

18 Nov 2024 28
New Romney was one of the original Cinque Ports. In the second half of the 13th century a series of severe storms weakened the coastal defences and the South England flood of February 1287 almost destroyed the town. The harbour and town were filled with sand, silt, mud and debris. The mud, silt and sand were never entirely removed from the town, so today the church, has steps leading down into them from the present pavement level. As the orchestra was rehearsing in the church, we couldn't walk around, but we saw the interesting Gothic tracery window behind the orchestra.

Cartham - St Mary

17 Nov 2024 1 50
Chartham is a village just about 4 km south west of Canterbury. An archaeological survey found evidence of Romano-British and Anglo-Saxon habitation. St Mary's Church was probably constructed between 1285 and circa 1305, with a later tower of the fourteenth century. There is stylistic evidence to suggest the involvement of Michael of Canterbury, the master mason at Canterbury Cathedral. The interior

Cartham - St Mary

17 Nov 2024 2 44
Chartham is a village just about 4 km south west of Canterbury. An archaeological survey found evidence of Romano-British and Anglo-Saxon habitation. St Mary's Church was probably constructed between 1285 and circa 1305, with a later tower of the fourteenth century. There is stylistic evidence to suggest the involvement of Michael of Canterbury, the master mason at Canterbury Cathedral. The church has a very interesting Gothic tracery window

Hirsau - Abbey

30 Mar 2012 187
Twenty years after Pope Leo IX had asked his nephew Count Adalbert of Calw to rebuild the ruined abbay St. Aurelius, this abbey got a young abbot. Wilhem von Hirsau (aka "William of Hirsau"), educated at St. Emmeram in Regensburg, a very well known "thinktank". Immidietly tried to gain independence of all secular powers for the abbey. At that time, he was probably influenced by the idea, that had spread from Gorze Abbey in Lorraine. He was a strong supporter of the Pope during the Investiture Controversy. Already in 1082 he commissioned the building of a new monastery on a nearby high plateau. In 1091 the abbey church, modelled on Cluny II and dedicated to Peter an Paul, got consecrated. The convent followed 1092 and moved into a monastic compound designed according to the Plan of Saint Gall. Wilhelm´s friend Ulrich (aka "Ulrich von Zell", "Ulrich von Cluny"), a schoolmate from St. Emmeram, had made carreer in Burgundy and was an advisor to Abbot Hugh of Cluny. So the Cluniac reform found their way into the Black Forest. Based on them Wilhelm wrote down the "Consuetudines Hirsauginenses". Known as the "Hirsau Reforms", the adoption of these rules revitalised Benedictine life throughout Germany - and were followed by far more than 100 monasteries. Based on a thriving economy most of the romanesque buildings (but not the church!) were demolished and got replaced by gothic style structures. Shortly after that, the Reformation put an end to the abbey in 1536, when the monks had to leave - and a Protestant school was opend here (just like in Maulbronn!). The "Duke of Wuerttemberg" replaced the old abbot´s house by a posh hunting palace around 1590. During the Nine Years' War (aka "War of the Palatine Succession") the infamous General Ezéchiel de Mélac burnt the abbey down (like he did with Heidelberg, Worms, Speyer..). The ruins were used as a quarry - and so there is not really much left of this great and important abbey.

Merlevenez - Notre-Dame-de-Joie

01 Nov 2014 213
The Knights Templar founded a convent here with chapel dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene. Parts of this chapel may have been "incorporated" into Notre-Dame-de-Joie. Most of the nave, the transept and the apse date back to the 12th century. The southern, Romanesque portal is probably 12th century. The Gothic tracery window is younger than that.