Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: conjoined twins
Beaulieu-sur-Dordogne - Saint-Pierre
28 Mar 2014 |
|
|
Raoul de Bourges (aka "Saint Raoul"), archbishop of Bourges, son of the Count of Turenne founded an abbey on the banks of the Dordogne river in the 9th century with the help of monks from Solignac, where Raoul had started his clerical career.
After feudal quarrels, the abbey Saint-Pierre joined the Cluniac movement in 1076 and soon after the erection of this church started. It was completed already mid 12th century. Though not situated at the busy pilgrim routes (eg "Via Podensis" runs about 60kms south) a large, typical "pilgrim church" was created here.
It may well been, that the relics, that were on display here (Saint-Prime, Saint-Félicien, Sainte-Félicité) and the proximity to Rocamador (30kms southwest) motivated many pilgrims to do a detour.
The abbey slipped into difficult times, when the number of pilgrims shrunk and feudal claims emerged again. The abbey and the city of Beaulieu suffered of the Wars of Religion. The Huguenots took over Beaulieu in 1569 and the monks had to flee. After the "Ligue Catholique" had reconquered the place, the monks returned and soon after
the convent joined the Congregation of Saint Maur.
The abbey existed upto the French revolution, when the last 6 monks had to leave. The abbey buildings got sold and demolished, while the church was taken over by the parish.
The structure was in a ruined state at that time. The nave partly collapsed in 1808, but a difficult renovation undertaken end of the 19th century finally saved the church.
There are many corbels under the roof of Saint-Pierre. This one depicts conjoined, male twins.
Melle - Saint-Hilaire
25 Sep 2013 |
|
Melle was known already during Roman times, when silver and lead were mined here. The silver mines were exploited over hundreds of years, got forgotten and "rediscovered" in the 19th century. Today they are a tourist attraction. Melle was wealthy and the pilgrims, walking the Via Turonensis, passed through Melle on their way to Santiago, what brought even more money into town.
Churches were erected during the heydays of the pilgrimage- and three (!) Romanesque churches can still be found here.
Saint-Hilaire de Melle was the church of a priory, a dependency of the important Benedictian abbey in Saint-Jean-d’Angély. It was built on the bank of the Beronne river. The eastern part were built in the first half of the 12th century, while the nave and the western portals may be some decades younger.
There are more than 200 carved capitals in- and outside this church. they are done by different carvers and of different qualities. This is from the exterior and it is the by far strangest of all.
Here are two men.
They share one head, but probably two faces. One leg of the right person is amputated. He uses a prothesis - in a way that makes it impossible to walk. One arm is connected to his shoulder, one hand grows out of his hip. This man faces the onlooker, so his chest is visible. The second person faces into the opposite direction, so his back is seen. He is holding an object with both hands.
Conjoined twins can be found on carvings (eg Covet, Anzy-le-Duc) and as well medieval "wooden legs" (eg Colombiers, Saint-Papoul, Lescar), but this "combination" one is weird.
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "conjoined twins" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter