Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: cluniac

Crossraguel Abbey

31 Dec 2024 1 22
Crossraguel may have been a Christian site in Scotland as early as the fourth century. The name may derive from the "Cross of Raighail" ("Cross of Regulus"). Regulus was a Greek monk who fled to Scotland in the fourth century. Donnchadh, Earl of Carrick donated the lands to Paisley Abbey. At that time, however, only a small oratory was built. In 1244, the Bishop of Glasgow settled a dispute between Earl Donnchadh and the monks by instructing the monks to establish a daughter monastery in Crossraguel. The first abbot was installed in 1286. During the Scottish Wars of Independence Crossraguel was sacked in 1307 by the army of Edward I. It was rebuilt on a larger scale and remained a monastery until 1560, when the Reformation ended monastic institutions in Scotland. However, the few remaining monks were allowed to live out their time there until the last monk died in 1601.

Samos - Monasterio de San Julián

27 Mar 2024 1 72
The foundation of the monastery is attributed to Martin of Braga. It is known to have been renovated by Saint Fructuoso in the seventh century. The first written mention of this event is from 665. An inscription on the walls says that the Bishop of Lugo Ermefredo rebuilt it. After this restoration it was abandoned before the Muslim invasion until the reconquest of King Fruela I of Asturias, which took place around 760. When, years later, he was assassinated, his widow and son, the future Alfonso II of Asturias ("the Chaste"), found refuge here. That earned the monastery royal protection, starting with the properties in a half-mile radius. In the early tenth century, the bishop of Lugo attempted to seize control and expelled the monks. The Counts Arias Menéndez and Gutierre Menéndez,were required to repopulate the new monastery with monks. Thereafter there were good relations between the monastery and the Count's family. In the same century it was reoccupied at the behest of King Ordoño II of León. From 960 the community lived under the rule of St. Benedict. The monastery of Samos enjoyed great importance during the Middle Ages. In 1558, already incorporated into the Royal San Benito of Valladolid, the monastery suffered a fire that forced its complete rebuilding. In the 12th century, the monastery joined the Cluniac reform movement, which strongly promoted the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela. This can still seen on the fence today.

Baume-les-Messieurs - The Abbey

28 Aug 2010 293
Upto the French Revolution, the little village, next to the Baume-Abbey was called "Baume-les-Moines", as there was not much more than that. With the revolution it changed to "Baume-les-Messieurs" - and now, since it is one of the most beautiful villages in France ("Les plus beaux villages de France") - it could be changed to "Baume-les-Touristes". Baume-Abbey is really old, going back to a settlement of irish monks around Saint Colombanus within the 6th century. 732 Saracens destroyed the monastry, that got refounded in the early 9th century during the reign of Louis the Pious by Saint Eutice, a disciple of Benedict of Aniane (see "Aniane", "Sélestat", "Marmoutier"). End of the 9th century the Normans raided the whole of Burgundy - and Baume-Abbey was in ruins again. Berno refounded the abbey a second time - and had success. Actually he had such a wow, that in 910, William of Aquitaine asked him to be the first abbot of the new monastry in the village of Cluny, so by now he is known as "Berno of Cluny". Looking across the nave from the aisle. Massive round and rectangular columns. The sober structure is very similar to 11th century churches in southeastern Burgundy (i.e. St. Philibert, Autun) and to the nearby church in Arbois (some 35kms north).

Longpont-sur-Orge - Notre-Dame-de-Bonne-Garde

09 Mar 2015 254
Legends tell, that here, near a holy spring, Gallic druids met to worship a pagan wooden statue of a woman, when Dionysius of Paris (aka "Saint Denis") and his disciple Saint Yon christianized the area in the 3rd century. Dionysius discovered that the pagan idol in deed was a statue of the virgin ("virginia partitura"). This was a place of pilgrimage since very early times, being the oldest place of Marian devotion of Ile-de-France. Local nobility founded a convent in 1031 and added this as a priory to the Cluny-network around 1060. The convent went through very difficult times, but managed to exist up to the French Revolution. The property then got confiscated and was finally sold to a Swiss investor. The church, now serving the parish, was ruined. The old, unstable tower got demolished in 1794. During the early 19th century, the civil authorities warned people to enter the ruined church, that was ready for demolition. There were plans about replacing the ruin by a new, smaller building. Finally, after decades long discussions about financing, only parts of the church got demolished and the rebuilding process started in the second half of the century. For a long time, the convent, being a place of pilgrimage, was known for the many relics that could be worshipped here. After the raids of French Revolution most valuable shrines were lost, as they got melted down. Here are some new reliquaries, produced in the 19th century.

Longpont-sur-Orge - Notre-Dame-de-Bonne-Garde

09 Mar 2015 260
Legends tell, that here, near a holy spring, Gallic druids met to worship a pagan wooden statue of a woman, when Dionysius of Paris (aka "Saint Denis") and his disciple Saint Yon christianized the area in the 3rd century. Dionysius discovered that the pagan idol in deed was a statue of the virgin ("virginia partitura"). This was a place of pilgrimage since very early times, being the oldest place of Marian devotion of Ile-de-France. Local nobility founded a convent in 1031 and added this as a priory to the Cluny-network around 1060. The convent went through very difficult times, but managed to exist up to the French Revolution. The property then got confiscated and was finally sold to a Swiss investor. The church, now serving the parish, was ruined. The old, unstable tower got demolished in 1794. During the early 19th century, the civil authorities warned people to enter the ruined church, that was ready for demolition. There were plans about replacing the ruin by a new, smaller building. Finally, after decades long discussions about financing, only parts of the church got demolished and the rebuilding process started in the second half of the century. The nave upto the crossing dates to 1100/1130. The crossing and the apse were erected 1875/1878, replacing the ruined parts of the church. To reach Longpont-sur-Orge I had to cross the very busy Route National 20 - and found out, that this road for sure once was the "chemin".

Longpont-sur-Orge - Notre-Dame-de-Bonne-Garde

09 Mar 2015 1 252
Legends tell, that here, near a holy spring, Gallic druids met to worship a pagan wooden statue of a woman, when Dionysius of Paris (aka "Saint Denis") and his disciple Saint Yon christianized the area in the 3rd century. Dionysius discovered that the pagan idol in deed was a statue of the virgin ("virginia partitura"). This was a place of pilgrimage since very early times, being the oldest place of Marian devotion of Ile-de-France. Local nobility founded a convent in 1031 and added this as a priory to the Cluny-network around 1060. The convent went through very difficult times, but managed to exist up to the French Revolution. The property then got confiscated and was finally sold to a Swiss investor. The church, now serving the parish, was ruined. The old, unstable tower got demolished in 1794. During the early 19th century, the civil authorities warned people to enter the ruined church, that was ready for demolition. There were plans about replacing the ruin by a new, smaller building. Finally, after decades long discussions about financing, only parts of the church got demolished and the rebuilding process started in the second half of the century. The (damaged) portal seen here is from 1220 - and for this is pretty "modern". The "Coronation of the Virgin", was created just a few decades after the tympanum of the cathedral in Senlis had introduced this icon. To reach Longpont-sur-Orge I had to cross the very busy Route National 20 - and found out, that this road was for sure once was the "chemin".

Longpont-sur-Orge - Notre-Dame-de-Bonne-Garde

09 Mar 2015 1 1 243
Legends tell, that here, near a holy spring, Gallic druids met to worship a pagan wooden statue of a woman, when Dionysius of Paris (aka "Saint Denis") and his disciple Saint Yon christianized the area in the 3rd century. Dionysius discovered that the pagan idol in deed was a statue of the virgin ("virginia partitura"). This was a place of pilgrimage since very early times, being the oldest place of Marian devotion of Ile-de-France. Local nobility founded a convent in 1031 and added this as a priory to the Cluny-network around 1060. The convent went through very difficult times, but managed to exist up to the French Revolution. The property then got confiscated and was finally sold to a Swiss investor. The church, now serving the parish, was ruined. The old, unstable tower got demolished in 1794. During the early 19th century, the civil authorities warned people to enter the ruined church, that was ready for demolition. There were plans about replacing the ruin by a new, smaller building. Finally, after decades long discussions about financing, only parts of the church got demolished and the rebuilding process started in the second half of the century. To reach Longpont-sur-Orge I had to cross the very busy Route National 20 - and found out, that this road for sure once was the "chemin".

Beaulieu-sur-Dordogne - Saint-Pierre

28 Mar 2014 1 286
Raoul de Bourges (aka "Saint Raoul"), archbishop of Bourges, son of the Count of Turenne founded an abbey on the banks of the Dordogne river in the 9th century with the help of monks from Solignac, where Raoul had started his clerical career. After feudal quarrels, the abbey Saint-Pierre joined the Cluniac movement in 1076 and soon after the erection of this church started. It was completed already mid 12th century. Though not situated at the busy pilgrim routes (eg "Via Podensis" runs about 60kms south) a large, typical "pilgrim church" was created here. It may well been, that the relics, that were on display here (Saint-Prime, Saint-Félicien, Sainte-Félicité) and the proximity to Rocamador (30kms southwest) motivated many pilgrims to do a detour. The abbey slipped into difficult times, when the number of pilgrims shrunk and feudal claims emerged again. The abbey and the city of Beaulieu suffered of the Wars of Religion. The Huguenots took over Beaulieu in 1569 and the monks had to flee. After the "Ligue Catholique" had reconquered the place, the monks returned and soon after the convent joined the Congregation of Saint Maur. The abbey existed upto the French revolution, when the last 6 monks had to leave. The abbey buildings got sold and demolished, while the church was taken over by the parish. The structure was in a ruined state at that time. The nave partly collapsed in 1808, but a difficult renovation undertaken end of the 19th century finally saved the church. There are many corbels under the roof of Saint-Pierre. This one depicts conjoined, male twins.

Beaulieu-sur-Dordogne - Saint-Pierre

28 Mar 2014 289
Raoul de Bourges (aka "Saint Raoul"), archbishop of Bourges, son of the Count of Turenne founded an abbey on the banks of the Dordogne river in the 9th century with the help of monks from Solignac, where Raoul had started his clerical career. After feudal quarrels, the abbey Saint-Pierre joined the Cluniac movement in 1076 and soon after the erection of this church started. It was completed already mid 12th century. Though not situated at the busy pilgrim routes (eg "Via Podensis" runs about 60kms south) a large, typical "pilgrim church" was created here. It may well been, that the relics, that were on display here (Saint-Prime, Saint-Félicien, Sainte-Félicité) and the proximity to Rocamador (30kms southwest) motivated many pilgrims to do a detour. The abbey slipped into difficult times, when the number of pilgrims shrunk and feudal claims emerged again. The abbey and the city of Beaulieu suffered of the Wars of Religion. The Huguenots took over Beaulieu in 1569 and the monks had to flee. After the "Ligue Catholique" had reconquered the place, the monks returned and soon after the convent joined the Congregation of Saint Maur. The abbey existed upto the French revolution, when the last 6 monks had to leave. The abbey buildings got sold and demolished, while the church was taken over by the parish. The structure was in a ruined state at that time. The nave partly collapsed in 1808, but a difficult renovation undertaken end of the 19th century finally saved the church. The church has a little "tresor", behind iron bars, where precious objects are on display. The Vierge de Beaulieu is a Romanesque Virgin and Child, created probably end of the 12th century. The Virgin is a wooden statue, covered by thin sheets of silver that is partly guilded (see previous uplaod). Here is young Jesus´ head.

Beaulieu-sur-Dordogne - Saint-Pierre

28 Mar 2014 285
Raoul de Bourges (aka "Saint Raoul"), archbishop of Bourges, son of the Count of Turenne founded an abbey on the banks of the Dordogne river in the 9th century with the help of monks from Solignac, where Raoul had started his clerical career. After feudal quarrels, the abbey Saint-Pierre joined the Cluniac movement in 1076 and soon after the erection of this church started. It was completed already mid 12th century. Though not situated at the busy pilgrim routes (eg "Via Podensis" runs about 60kms south) a large, typical "pilgrim church" was created here. It may well been, that the relics, that were on display here (Saint-Prime, Saint-Félicien, Sainte-Félicité) and the proximity to Rocamador (30kms southwest) motivated many pilgrims to do a detour. The abbey slipped into difficult times, when the number of pilgrims shrunk and feudal claims emerged again. The abbey and the city of Beaulieu suffered of the Wars of Religion. The Huguenots took over Beaulieu in 1569 and the monks had to flee. After the "Ligue Catholique" had reconquered the place, the monks returned and soon after the convent joined the Congregation of Saint Maur. The abbey existed upto the French revolution, when the last 6 monks had to leave. The abbey buildings got sold and demolished, while the church was taken over by the parish. The structure was in a ruined state at that time. The nave partly collapsed in 1808, but a difficult renovation undertaken end of the 19th century finally saved the church. The church has a little "tresor", behind iron bars, where precious objects are on display. Here is Vierge de Beaulieu, a Romanesque Virgin and Child, created probably end of the 12th century. A wooden statue, covered by thin sheets of silver that is partly guilded. A technique used already earlier. See the reliquary of "Sainte Foy" in Conques and the "Golden Madonna" in Essen.

Beaulieu-sur-Dordogne - Saint-Pierre

28 Mar 2014 1 252
Raoul de Bourges (aka "Saint Raoul"), archbishop of Bourges, son of the Count of Turenne founded an abbey on the banks of the Dordogne river in the 9th century with the help of monks from Solignac, where Raoul had started his clerical career. After feudal quarrels, the abbey Saint-Pierre joined the Cluniac movement in 1076 and soon after the erection of this church started. It was completed already mid 12th century. Though not situated at the busy pilgrim routes (eg "Via Podensis" runs about 60kms south) a large, typical "pilgrim church" was created here. It may well been, that the relics, that were on display here (Saint-Prime, Saint-Félicien, Sainte-Félicité) and the proximity to Rocamador (30kms southwest) motivated many pilgrims to do a detour. The abbey slipped into difficult times, when the number of pilgrims shrunk and feudal claims emerged again. The abbey and the city of Beaulieu suffered of the Wars of Religion. The Huguenots took over Beaulieu in 1569 and the monks had to flee. After the "Ligue Catholique" had reconquered the place, the monks returned and soon after the convent joined the Congregation of Saint Maur. The abbey existed upto the French revolution, when the last 6 monks had to leave. The abbey buildings got sold and demolished, while the church was taken over by the parish. The structure was in a ruined state at that time. The nave partly collapsed in 1808, but a difficult renovation undertaken end of the 19th century finally saved the church. The church has a little "tresor", behind iron bars, where precious objects are on display. Here is a medieval reliquary. It is very similar to a reliquary that I had seen in Huesca (Spain) only some days ago. The Magi can often be found along the "chemins" or "caminos". The Magi, who followed the Star of Bethlehem, while the pilgrims headed to Santiago de CompoSTELLA. Sorry for the blurry photo!

Beaulieu-sur-Dordogne - Saint-Pierre

28 Mar 2014 2 226
Raoul de Bourges (aka "Saint Raoul"), archbishop of Bourges, son of the Count of Turenne founded an abbey on the banks of the Dordogne river in the 9th century with the help of monks from Solignac, where Raoul had started his clerical career. After feudal quarrels, the abbey Saint-Pierre joined the Cluniac movement in 1076 and soon after the erection of this church started. It was completed already mid 12th century. Though not situated at the busy pilgrim routes (eg "Via Podensis" runs about 60kms south) a large, typical "pilgrim church" was created here. It may well been, that the relics, that were on display here (Saint-Prime, Saint-Félicien, Sainte-Félicité) and the proximity to Rocamador (30kms southwest) motivated many pilgrims to do a detour. The abbey slipped into difficult times, when the number of pilgrims shrunk and feudal claims emerged again. The abbey and the city of Beaulieu suffered of the Wars of Religion. The Huguenots took over Beaulieu in 1569 and the monks had to flee. After the "Ligue Catholique" had reconquered the place, the monks returned and soon after the convent joined the Congregation of Saint Maur. The abbey existed upto the French revolution, when the last 6 monks had to leave. The abbey buildings got sold and demolished, while the church was taken over by the parish. The structure was in a ruined state at that time. The nave partly collapsed in 1808, but a difficult renovation undertaken end of the 19th century finally saved the church. There are three tympana inside the church, that are clearly older than the carvings around. They are got probably reused and may have been parts of the church, erected when the convent was founded within the 9th century and that got replaced end of the 11th century. On one of these tympana this "Master of Beasts" is depicted.

Beaulieu-sur-Dordogne - Saint-Pierre

28 Mar 2014 1 1 245
Raoul de Bourges (aka "Saint Raoul"), archbishop of Bourges, son of the Count of Turenne founded an abbey on the banks of the Dordogne river in the 9th century with the help of monks from Solignac, where Raoul had started his clerical career. After feudal quarrels, the abbey Saint-Pierre joined the Cluniac movement in 1076 and soon after the erection of this church started. It was completed already mid 12th century. Though not situated at the busy pilgrim routes (eg "Via Podensis" runs about 60kms south) a large, typical "pilgrim church" was created here. It may well been, that the relics, that were on display here (Saint-Prime, Saint-Félicien, Sainte-Félicité) and the proximity to Rocamador (30kms southwest) motivated many pilgrims to do a detour. The abbey slipped into difficult times, when the number of pilgrims shrunk and feudal claims emerged again. The abbey and the city of Beaulieu suffered of the Wars of Religion. The Huguenots took over Beaulieu in 1569 and the monks had to flee. After the "Ligue Catholique" had reconquered the place, the monks returned and soon after the convent joined the Congregation of Saint Maur. The abbey existed upto the French revolution, when the last 6 monks had to leave. The abbey buildings got sold and demolished, while the church was taken over by the parish. The structure was in a ruined state at that time. The nave partly collapsed in 1808, but a difficult renovation undertaken end of the 19th century finally saved the church. An ambulatory runs around the semicircular choir. An ambulatory is a criterium for the pilgrim churches along the routes to Santiago, they were used by the pilgrims for the liturgic processions.

Beaulieu-sur-Dordogne - Saint-Pierre

27 Mar 2014 245
Raoul de Bourges (aka "Saint Raoul"), archbishop of Bourges, son of the Count of Turenne founded an abbey on the banks of the Dordogne river in the 9th century with the help of monks from Solignac, where Raoul had started his clerical career. After feudal quarrels, the abbey Saint-Pierre joined the Cluniac movement in 1076 and soon after the erection of this church started. It was completed already mid 12th century. Though not situated at the busy pilgrim routes (eg "Via Podensis" runs about 60kms south) a large, typical "pilgrim church" was created here. It may well been, that the relics, that were on display here (Saint-Prime, Saint-Félicien, Sainte-Félicité) and the proximity to Rocamador (30kms southwest) motivated many pilgrims to do a detour. The abbey slipped into difficult times, when the number of pilgrims shrunk and feudal claims emerged again. The abbey and the city of Beaulieu suffered of the Wars of Religion. The Huguenots took over Beaulieu in 1569 and the monks had to flee. After the "Ligue Catholique" had reconquered the place, the monks returned and soon after the convent joined the Congregation of Saint Maur. The abbey existed upto the French revolution, when the last 6 monks had to leave. The abbey buildings got sold and demolished, while the church was taken over by the parish. The structure was in a ruined state at that time. The nave partly collapsed in 1808, but a difficult renovation undertaken end of the 19th century finally saved the church. Compared to the masterly carved, elegant and detailed tympanum of the southern facade, the capitals inside Saint-Pierre are rather rough. Here are two lions.

Beaulieu-sur-Dordogne - Saint-Pierre

27 Mar 2014 250
Raoul de Bourges (aka "Saint Raoul"), archbishop of Bourges, son of the Count of Turenne founded an abbey on the banks of the Dordogne river in the 9th century with the help of monks from Solignac, where Raoul had started his clerical career. After feudal quarrels, the abbey Saint-Pierre joined the Cluniac movement in 1076 and soon after the erection of this church started. It was completed already mid 12th century. Though not situated at the busy pilgrim routes (eg "Via Podensis" runs about 60kms south) a large, typical "pilgrim church" was created here. It may well been, that the relics, that were on display here (Saint-Prime, Saint-Félicien, Sainte-Félicité) and the proximity to Rocamador (30kms southwest) motivated many pilgrims to do a detour. The abbey slipped into difficult times, when the number of pilgrims shrunk and feudal claims emerged again. The abbey and the city of Beaulieu suffered of the Wars of Religion. The Huguenots took over Beaulieu in 1569 and the monks had to flee. After the "Ligue Catholique" had reconquered the place, the monks returned and soon after the convent joined the Congregation of Saint Maur. The abbey existed upto the French revolution, when the last 6 monks had to leave. The abbey buildings got sold and demolished, while the church was taken over by the parish. The structure was in a ruined state at that time. The nave partly collapsed in 1808, but a difficult renovation undertaken end of the 19th century finally saved the church. Facing east to the choir. The vaults of the nave and the aisles have about the same height, so this is rather a hall-church than a basilica (some call this a pseudo-basilica).

Beaulieu-sur-Dordogne - Saint-Pierre

27 Mar 2014 1 305
Raoul de Bourges (aka "Saint Raoul"), archbishop of Bourges, son of the Count of Turenne founded an abbey on the banks of the Dordogne river in the 9th century with the help of monks from Solignac, where Raoul had started his clerical career. After feudal quarrels, the abbey Saint-Pierre joined the Cluniac movement in 1076 and soon after the erection of this church started. It was completed already mid 12th century. Though not situated at the busy pilgrim routes (eg "Via Podensis" runs about 60kms south) a large, typical "pilgrim church" was created here. It may well been, that the relics, that were on display here (Saint-Prime, Saint-Félicien, Sainte-Félicité) and the proximity to Rocamador (30kms southwest) motivated many pilgrims to do a detour. The abbey slipped into difficult times, when the number of pilgrims shrunk and feudal claims emerged again. The abbey and the city of Beaulieu suffered of the Wars of Religion. The Huguenots took over Beaulieu in 1569 and the monks had to flee. After the "Ligue Catholique" had reconquered the place, the monks returned and soon after the convent joined the Congregation of Saint Maur. The abbey existed upto the French revolution, when the last 6 monks had to leave. The abbey buildings got sold and demolished, while the church was taken over by the parish. The structure was in a ruined state at that time. The nave partly collapsed in 1808, but a difficult renovation undertaken end of the 19th century finally saved the church. The double lintel is populated by creatures of hell. These are the beasts of the Revelation, there is even a seven-headed-beast. The creatures come out of the hell´s mouth (left) and are devouring ill-fated sinners. Just like the portal of Abbaye Saint-Pierre in Moissac, the lintel is supported by a very elaborate trumeau. I doubt, that this was created by the same workshop, who created Moissac, as sometimes claimed. The style here is much more "dynamic" and more imaginative.

Beaulieu-sur-Dordogne - Saint-Pierre

27 Mar 2014 1 312
Raoul de Bourges (aka "Saint Raoul"), archbishop of Bourges, son of the Count of Turenne founded an abbey on the banks of the Dordogne river in the 9th century with the help of monks from Solignac, where Raoul had started his clerical career. After feudal quarrels, the abbey Saint-Pierre joined the Cluniac movement in 1076 and soon after the erection of this church started. It was completed already mid 12th century. Though not situated at the busy pilgrim routes (eg "Via Podensis" runs about 60kms south) a large, typical "pilgrim church" was created here. It may well been, that the relics, that were on display here (Saint-Prime, Saint-Félicien, Sainte-Félicité) and the proximity to Rocamador (30kms southwest) motivated many pilgrims to do a detour. The abbey slipped into difficult times, when the number of pilgrims shrunk and feudal claims emerged again. The abbey and the city of Beaulieu suffered of the Wars of Religion. The Huguenots took over Beaulieu in 1569 and the monks had to flee. After the "Ligue Catholique" had reconquered the place, the monks returned and soon after the convent joined the Congregation of Saint Maur. The abbey existed upto the French revolution, when the last 6 monks had to leave. The abbey buildings got sold and demolished, while the church was taken over by the parish. The structure was in a ruined state at that time. The nave partly collapsed in 1808, but a difficult renovation undertaken end of the 19th century finally saved the church. The double lintel is populated by creatures of hell. These are the beasts of the Revelation, there is even a seven-headed-beast. The creatures come out of the hell´s mouth (left) and are devouring ill-fated sinners. Above them is the Second Coming of Christ. Tombs are opening. Ii the center of the tympanum is a seated Christ, flanked by two angels blowing horns. He holds his arms outstretched and so forms a cross, while behind his right shoulder two angels hold the cross, an angel over his left shoulder displays the nails. Christ, surrounded by angels and apostles, is depicted with the "Arma Christi", the instruments of the Passion. A very unusual "combination" for the time.

Beaulieu-sur-Dordogne - Saint-Pierre

27 Mar 2014 1 258
Raoul de Bourges (aka "Saint Raoul"), archbishop of Bourges, son of the Count of Turenne founded an abbey on the banks of the Dordogne river in the 9th century with the help of monks from Solignac, where Raoul had started his clerical career. After feudal quarrels, the abbey Saint-Pierre joined the Cluniac movement in 1076 and soon after the erection of this church started. It was completed already mid 12th century. Though not situated at the busy pilgrim routes (eg "Via Podensis" runs about 60kms south) a large, typical "pilgrim church" was created here. It may well been, that the relics, that were on display here (Saint-Prime, Saint-Félicien, Sainte-Félicité) and the proximity to Rocamador (30kms southwest) motivated many pilgrims to do a detour. The abbey slipped into difficult times, when the number of pilgrims shrunk and feudal claims emerged again. The abbey and the city of Beaulieu suffered of the Wars of Religion. The Huguenots took over Beaulieu in 1569 and the monks had to flee. After the "Ligue Catholique" had reconquered the place, the monks returned and soon after the convent joined the Congregation of Saint Maur. The abbey existed upto the French revolution, when the last 6 monks had to leave. The abbey buildings got sold and demolished, while the church was taken over by the parish. The structure was in a ruined state at that time. The nave partly collapsed in 1808, but a difficult renovation undertaken end of the 19th century finally saved the church. Here is another "overview" of the portal. The double lintel is populated by creatures of hell. The theme on the tympanum above is the Second Coming of Christ. Christ is holding his arms outstretched and so forming a cross, while behind his shoulder two angels hold the cross. Very unsusual. I´ll upload more details next.

24 items in total