Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: tomb slab
Parada de Sil - Monasterio de Santa Cristina
24 Sep 2024 |
|
The Benedictine monastery has its origins in the 10th century. Century. It was initially an independent monastery and, from around the 16th century, a priory dependent on the monastery of San Esteban de Ribas de Sil. In the Middle Ages, it was one of the most important monasteries in the Ribeira Sacra. The monks cultivated chestnut trees and vines. The confiscation meant the complete abandonment of the village.
The Romanesque church from the end of the 12th century has been preserved. It has the floor plan of a Latin cross.
Probably the tomb slab of a prior, walled into a wall
Kloster Eberbach / Eberbach Abbey
08 Nov 2012 |
|
Kloster Eberbach was founded in 1136 by Bernard of Clairvaux as the first Cistercian monastery on the east bank of the Rhine. A small Benedictian monastery had been here before, but after the Cistercian "relaunch", the abbey really thrived, becoming one of the largest and economically most sucessful in Germany. During the 12th/13th century about 100 monks plus 200 lay brothers lived here. Already in 1211, Kloster Eberbach possessed more than 200 settlements, all quoted in the "Oculus Memoriae", an "inventory list".
Despite some setbacks due to wars, the monastery continued very sucessfully upto the time of the French Revolution, when the decline started. Politics changed dramatically during the time of secularisation. In 1803 the abbey was dissolved, the remaining monks were forced to leave. The complex with all assets came into the ownership of the last Prince of Nassau-Usingen. From 1866 on, it was owned by Prussia, later Hesse. The buildings were used as a prison and as a lunatic asylum during that time.
Meanwhile the management of the vast vineyards and wine production has continued in state hands. Great white wines are produced here! The buildings now are owned by a charitable foundation, aiming to maintain the important complex.
The construction of the abbey church (three nave basilica) with transept) started 1145. It got consecrated in 1186.
You may remember the film "The Name of the Rose", based on Umberto Eco´s novel. Most of the interiors were shot in Kloster Eberbach.
The Counts of Katzenelnbogen had been sponsors of Kloster Eberbach for generations. Since 1311, this church served as their family tomb. Many tomb slabs now line the left aisle.
kloster-eberbach.de/
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "tomb slab" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter