Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: jungle
Saint-Aulais-la-Chapelle - Saint-Jacques
19 Nov 2014 |
|
Saint-Aulais-la-Chapelle, a village with a population of not even 300, hosts three Romanesque churches! One of these is Saint-Jaques in the tiny Hamlet of Conzac. Erected within the 12th century as a Cluniac priory church when pilgrims took a break here on their way to Santiago de Compostella. They still had about 1000 kms to walk from here.
The priory and the church got severely damaged during the Wars of Religions. The church, once built on the blueprint of a Latin Cross, lost one arm of the transept, the facade and a large part of the nave.
The 12th century crossing and the apse still exist - and most Romanesque carvings have survived the times-
During the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela the "pelerin" could easily encounter life threatening incidents. He had to anticipate such harmful events and had to be prepared even for the worst. Forests had special risks. There were mythic beasts, chimeras and animals of all kinds, ever growing man-eating creepers ... a jungle full of dangers.
These scenes of growing creepers, green men and mythic animals can often be found in the Poitou.
Saint-Aulais-la-Chapelle - Saint-Jacques
19 Nov 2014 |
|
Saint-Aulais-la-Chapelle, a village with a population of not even 300, hosts three Romanesque churches! One of these is Saint-Jaques in the tiny Hamlet of Conzac. Erected within the 12th century as a Cluniac priory church when pilgrims took a break here on their way to Santiago de Compostella. They still had about 1000 kms to walk from here.
The priory and the church got severely damaged during the Wars of Religions. The church, once built on the blueprint of a Latin Cross, lost one arm of the transept, the facade and a large part of the nave.
The 12th century crossing and the apse still exist - and most Romanesque carvings have survived the times-
During the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela the "pelerin" could easily encounter life threatening incidents. He had to anticipate such harmful events and had to be prepared even for the worst. Forests had special risks. There were mythic beasts, chimeras and animals of all kinds, ever growing man-eating creepers ... a jungle full of dangers.
These scenes of growing creepers, green men and mythic animals can often be found in the Poitou.
Gensac-la-Pallue - Saint-Martin
08 Oct 2013 |
|
Gensac-la-Pallue is a small town, about 10kms southeast of Cognac, with a population of 1500. Saint Martin is the large parish church of the town. It is not known, who financed this church, when it was erected within the 12th century (the choir and tower were added a century later) and there are no obvious connections to one of the important abbeys of the area, but for a parish church, built on swampy grounds, this is a pretty prestigious structure.
Saint-Martin has a western facade, that is extraordenary, as not many churches in the Poitou have three horizontal registers/levels.
There is a long frieze-like band extending all over the facade. This frieze is pretty weathered in parts after 800 years, but other more sheltered stretches seem untouched by the centuries. Here a young guy, who seems to greet us out of the jungle of entwined vines. To the left a bird and the head of a lion. Vines sprout out of..
Gensac-la-Pallue - Saint-Martin
08 Oct 2013 |
|
|
Gensac-la-Pallue is a small town, about 10kms southeast of Cognac, with a population of 1500. Saint Martin is the large parish church of the town. It is not known, who financed this church, when it was erected within the 12th century (the choir and tower were added a century later) and there are no obvious connections to one of the important abbeys of the area, but for a parish church, built on swampy grounds, this is a pretty prestigious structure.
Saint-Martin has a western facade, that is extraordenary, as not many churches in the Poitou have three horizontal registers/levels.
There is a long frieze-like band extending all over the facade. This frieze is pretty weathered in parts after 800 years, but other more sheltered stretches seem untouched by the centuries. In the center of a jungle on entwined vines a monk (?) has risen from his chair and now blesses the onlooker.
Saintes - Abbaye aux Dames
08 Sep 2013 |
|
|
The Abbey of Sainte-Marie-des-Dames was the first Benedictine abbey for women Charente-Maritime. It was founded in 1047 by Geoffrey II (aka "Geoffrey Martel") and his first wife Agnes of Burgundy. Eleanor of Aquitaine, mother of Richard Lionheart, was a great donor here.
The place, where the abbey got erected, was a Roman cemetery. An Oratorium, over the tomb of Saint Pallais, existed here already in the 6th century.
Saintes was a major halt for the pilgrims following the Via Turonensis, so the abbey developed well, during the first centuries. During the 100 Year´s War the abbey got ruined, reconstructed later, it got severely damaged by Huguenots during the Wars of Religions.
The abbey existed up to the end of the 18th century. After the French Revolution the buldings served as prison and from 1808 on as a barracks. The church was used as a stable for the horses of the cavalry.
The barracks were here up to the early 1920s, before the first renovations were started. In 1938 the abbey church "Sainte-Marie" got consecrated again.
Most capitals of the portal are covered with entwisted vines forming a dense, dangerous jungle, populated by evil creatures and monsters. In a corner this mermaid, inviting the souls to enter the jungle.
Saintes - Abbaye aux Dames
07 Sep 2013 |
|
|
The Abbey of Sainte-Marie-des-Dames was the first Benedictine abbey for women Charente-Maritime. It was founded in 1047 by Geoffrey II (aka "Geoffrey Martel") and his first wife Agnes of Burgundy. Eleanor of Aquitaine, mother of Richard Lionheart, was a great donor here.
The place, where the abbey got erected, was a Roman cemetery. An Oratorium, over the tomb of Saint Pallais, existed here already in the 6th century.
Saintes was a major halt for the pilgrims following the Via Turonensis, so the abbey developed well, during the first centuries. During the 100 Year´s War the abbey got ruined, reconstructed later, it got severely damaged by Huguenots during the Wars of Religions.
The abbey existed up to the end of the 18th century. After the French Revolution the buldings served as prison and from 1808 on as a barracks. The church was used as a stable for the horses of the cavalry.
The barracks were here up to the early 1920s, before the first renovations were started. In 1938 the abbey church "Sainte-Marie" got consecrated again.
Most capitals of the portal are covered with entwisted vines forming a dense, dangerous jungle. This jungle is populated by evil creatures, who are part of it, as the vines grow out of their mouths. Some humans (souls) are trapped - and the monsters have started to torture and devour them.
Saintes - Abbaye aux Dames
07 Sep 2013 |
|
The Abbey of Sainte-Marie-des-Dames was the first Benedictine abbey for women Charente-Maritime. It was founded in 1047 by Geoffrey II (aka "Geoffrey Martel") and his first wife Agnes of Burgundy. Eleanor of Aquitaine, mother of Richard Lionheart, was a great donor here.
The place, where the abbey got erected, was a Roman cemetery. An Oratorium, over the tomb of Saint Pallais, existed here already in the 6th century.
Saintes was a major halt for the pilgrims following the Via Turonensis, so the abbey developed well, during the first centuries. During the 100 Year´s War the abbey got ruined, reconstructed later, it got severely damaged by Huguenots during the Wars of Religions.
The abbey existed up to the end of the 18th century. After the French Revolution the buldings served as prison and from 1808 on as a barracks. The church was used as a stable for the horses of the cavalry.
The barracks were here up to the early 1920s, before the first renovations were started. In 1938 the abbey church "Sainte-Marie" got consecrated again.
Most capitals of the portal are covered with entwisted vines forming a dense, dangerous jungle. This jungle is populated by evil creatures, who are part of it, as the vines grow out of their mouths. Some humans (souls) are trapped - and the monsters have started to torture and devour them.
Corme-Écluse - Notre-Dame
01 Sep 2013 |
|
Since 1104 a priory existed here, depending from the Abbaye aux Dames in Saintes. The erection of the church was completed in 1200 - and by now is the parish church for the population of Corme-Écluse. All other building, that belonged to the priory are lost.
Notre Dame has a wonderful facade, a perfect example of the "style saintongeais". The carvings around the arcs are delicate like fine lace.
Here a "cross section" through the archivolts of the left side. Again a dangerous maze of entwisted vines. Some humans got trapped already by the sinister creeping branches and obviously became part of the jungle. Vines sprout out of their mouths.
Corme-Écluse - Notre-Dame
01 Sep 2013 |
|
Since 1104 a priory existed here, depending from the Abbaye aux Dames in Saintes. The erection of the church was completed in 1200 - and by now is the parish church for the population of Corme-Écluse. All other building, that belonged to the priory are lost.
Notre Dame has a wonderful facade, a perfect example of the "style saintongeais". The carvings around the arcs are delicate like fine lace. Here are the archivolts of the right side. A jungle of entwisted vines. A dangerous place not only for humans.
Morlaàs - Sainte-Foy
28 Jun 2013 |
|
In 1080, when Morlaàs was in its heydays, the building of this church started by Centulle V, Viscount of Béarn, who had to make an atonement.
Morlaàs developed to an important "étape" on the Via Tolosana at that time. As the church was dedicated to St. Foy there was a kind of "link" to Conques. Later the pilgrimage business declined, the viscounts had moved away, wars arose.... The church burnt down in 1520, got severely damaged in 1569. During the French Revolution the church turned to a "Temple of Reason". The restorations of the 19th century saved the structure.
Viollet-le-Duc, the influential "Inspecteur général des Edifices Diocésains" led the restoration of the portal. At all places, where he worked (eg "Carcasonne", "Vézelay"), he "recreated" and creatively "completed", what is a method, that is disputed meanwhile. The condition of the portal is a result of this restoration. After the cleaning done in the last years and the installation of pigeon-defence-wires, the carvings are "mint".
The entrance doors are flanked by pillars and large sculptures of the apostles on either side. Another capital, next to an apostle´s head has another jungle. Other than the previous seen capital, where creeping creatures seem to play in the vines, here are humans caught by the entwined vines.
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "jungle" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter