Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Jesuit

Málaga - Santo Cristo de la Salud

10 Jul 2024 5 1 67
Málaga's history spans around 2,800 years, making it one of the oldest continuously inhabited cities in Western Europe. The city was founded around the 8th century BC by seafaring Phoenicians, who called the city Malaka. From the 6th century BC, the city was under the hegemony of ancient Carthage and from the Second Punic War (218 BC) under Roman rule. The city experienced an economic boom thanks to the production of garum. The Migration Period meant eventful years for Málaga. After the Vandals and the Alans, Visigoths and Eastern Romans fought for control. In 571, the city was briefly occupied by troops of the Visigothic king Leovigild, but it was not until around 616 that the Eastern Romans finally handed the city over to the Visigoths. The Moors conquered Málaga in 711 and the city gained importance in the 11th century when the Hammudids established one of their residences here. In 1053, the King of Granada had the last Hammudid caliph poisoned and conquered the city. After the conquest by the Catholic Monarchs in the course of the Reconquista in 1487, "reforms" began to transform the city into a Christian settlement. In Muslim times, the Jewish quarter was located in the eastern part of the city. In the 11th century, the city took in numerous Jews who had fled from the intolerant Berbers in Córdoba. In the middle of the 11th century, around 200 Jews lived in Málaga out of a population of around 20,000. After the city was conquered by Castile in 1487, all of Malaga's Jews were taken prisoner. Around 1490 it was decided that the city should be repopulated by Christians. Jews and Muslims had to leave Málaga within 15 days. The church is also known simply as Santo Cristo. It was founded by the Jesuit order. After missionising in Málaga, the Jesuits decided to settle in the city for good in 1572. They decided to build a new church. Construction work did not begin until 1598 and the church was consecrated in 1630.

Málaga - Santo Cristo de la Salud

10 Jul 2024 56
Málaga's history spans around 2,800 years, making it one of the oldest continuously inhabited cities in Western Europe. The city was founded around the 8th century BC by seafaring Phoenicians, who called the city Malaka. From the 6th century BC, the city was under the hegemony of ancient Carthage and from the Second Punic War (218 BC) under Roman rule. The city experienced an economic boom thanks to the production of garum. The Migration Period meant eventful years for Málaga. After the Vandals and the Alans, Visigoths and Eastern Romans fought for control. In 571, the city was briefly occupied by troops of the Visigothic king Leovigild, but it was not until around 616 that the Eastern Romans finally handed the city over to the Visigoths. The Moors conquered Málaga in 711 and the city gained importance in the 11th century when the Hammudids established one of their residences here. In 1053, the King of Granada had the last Hammudid caliph poisoned and conquered the city. After the conquest by the Catholic Monarchs in the course of the Reconquista in 1487, "reforms" began to transform the city into a Christian settlement. In Muslim times, the Jewish quarter was located in the eastern part of the city. In the 11th century, the city took in numerous Jews who had fled from the intolerant Berbers in Córdoba. In the middle of the 11th century, around 200 Jews lived in Málaga out of a population of around 20,000. After the city was conquered by Castile in 1487, all of Malaga's Jews were taken prisoner. Around 1490 it was decided that the city should be repopulated by Christians. Jews and Muslims had to leave Málaga within 15 days. The church, here seen from the cathedral´s roof, is also known simply as Santo Cristo. Itwas founded by the Jesuit order. After missionising in Málaga, the Jesuits decided to settle in the city for good in 1572. They decided to build a new church. Construction work did not begin until 1598 and the church was consecrated in 1630.

Abbazia di Chiaravalle di Fiastra

23 Sep 2022 4 56
In 1142 Guarnerio II, Duke of Spoleto and Marquis of Ancona, donated a large piece of land here to the Cistercians. The monks from the Abbazia Chiravalle in Milan arrived that same year and immediately began building the monastery. They used material from the ruins of the nearby Roman city of Urbs Salvia, which had been destroyed by Alaric in 408-410 and also began the reclamation of the swampy forest around. The abbey flourished for three centuries. The monks organized their agricultural land and its influence grew to the extent that it incorporated 33 dependent churches and monasteries. In 1422 the abbey was sacked by condottiero Braccio da Montone, who destroyed the roof of the church and the bell tower, and killed a number of the monks. Subsequently, the Pope entrusted the abbey to a group of eight cardinals as a prebend. In 1581, the abbey was assigned to the Jesuits. Finally, in 1773, after the suppression of the Jesuits, the whole area was handed over to the Bandini family. The last heir of the family left the area to the present Giustiniani-Bandini Foundation, which set up the Fiastra Abbey Nature Reserve to preserve this heritage. A "Maria lactans" (Nursing Madonna, Italian "Madonna del Latte") was a common icon (especially among the Cistercians) until after the Council of Trent (1545/1546), rather rejected for reasons of decency.

Abbazia di Chiaravalle di Fiastra

23 Sep 2022 43
In 1142 Guarnerio II, Duke of Spoleto and Marquis of Ancona, donated a large piece of land here to the Cistercians. The monks from the Abbazia Chiravalle in Milan arrived that same year and immediately began building the monastery. They used material from the ruins of the nearby Roman city of Urbs Salvia, which had been destroyed by Alaric in 408-410 and also began the reclamation of the swampy forest around. The abbey flourished for three centuries. The monks organized their agricultural land and its influence grew to the extent that it incorporated 33 dependent churches and monasteries. In 1422 the abbey was sacked by condottiero Braccio da Montone, who destroyed the roof of the church and the bell tower, and killed a number of the monks. Subsequently, the Pope entrusted the abbey to a group of eight cardinals as a prebend. In 1581, the abbey was assigned to the Jesuits. Finally, in 1773, after the suppression of the Jesuits, the whole area was handed over to the Bandini family. The last heir of the family left the area to the present Giustiniani-Bandini Foundation, which set up the Fiastra Abbey Nature Reserve to preserve this heritage. The graffiti of a soldier. A sketch probably from WWII.

Abbazia di Chiaravalle di Fiastra

23 Sep 2022 40
In 1142 Guarnerio II, Duke of Spoleto and Marquis of Ancona, donated a large piece of land here to the Cistercians. The monks from the Abbazia Chiravalle in Milan arrived that same year and immediately began building the monastery. They used material from the ruins of the nearby Roman city of Urbs Salvia, which had been destroyed by Alaric in 408-410 and also began the reclamation of the swampy forest around. The abbey flourished for three centuries. The monks organized their agricultural land and its influence grew to the extent that it incorporated 33 dependent churches and monasteries. In 1422 the abbey was sacked by condottiero Braccio da Montone, who destroyed the roof of the church and the bell tower, and killed a number of the monks. Subsequently, the Pope entrusted the abbey to a group of eight cardinals as a prebend. In 1581, the abbey was assigned to the Jesuits. Finally, in 1773, after the suppression of the Jesuits, the whole area was handed over to the Bandini family. The last heir of the family left the area to the present Giustiniani-Bandini Foundation, which set up the Fiastra Abbey Nature Reserve to preserve this heritage. The chapter room

Abbazia di Chiaravalle di Fiastra

23 Sep 2022 57
In 1142 Guarnerio II, Duke of Spoleto and Marquis of Ancona, donated a large piece of land here to the Cistercians. The monks from the Abbazia Chiravalle in Milan arrived that same year and immediately began building the monastery. They used material from the ruins of the nearby Roman city of Urbs Salvia, which had been destroyed by Alaric in 408-410 and also began the reclamation of the swampy forest around. The abbey flourished for three centuries. The monks organized their agricultural land and its influence grew to the extent that it incorporated 33 dependent churches and monasteries. In 1422 the abbey was sacked by condottiero Braccio da Montone, who destroyed the roof of the church and the bell tower, and killed a number of the monks. Subsequently, the Pope entrusted the abbey to a group of eight cardinals as a prebend. In 1581, the abbey was assigned to the Jesuits. Finally, in 1773, after the suppression of the Jesuits, the whole area was handed over to the Bandini family. The last heir of the family left the area to the present Giustiniani-Bandini Foundation, which set up the Fiastra Abbey Nature Reserve in order to preserve this heritage. The cloister

Abbazia di Chiaravalle di Fiastra

23 Sep 2022 44
In 1142 Guarnerio II, Duke of Spoleto and Marquis of Ancona, donated a large piece of land here to the Cistercians. The monks from the Abbazia Chiravalle in Milan arrived that same year and immediately began building the monastery. They used material from the ruins of the nearby Roman city of Urbs Salvia, which had been destroyed by Alaric in 408-410 and also began the reclamation of the swampy forest around. The abbey flourished for three centuries. The monks organized their agricultural land and its influence grew to the extent that it incorporated 33 dependent churches and monasteries. In 1422 the abbey was sacked by condottiero Braccio da Montone, who destroyed the roof of the church and the bell tower, and killed a number of the monks. Subsequently, the Pope entrusted the abbey to a group of eight cardinals as a prebend. In 1581, the abbey was assigned to the Jesuits. Finally, in 1773, after the suppression of the Jesuits, the whole area was handed over to the Bandini family. The last heir of the family left the area to the present Giustiniani-Bandini Foundation, which set up the Fiastra Abbey Nature Reserve in order to preserve this heritage. The cloister

Abbazia di Chiaravalle di Fiastra

23 Sep 2022 4 1 45
In 1142 Guarnerio II, Duke of Spoleto and Marquis of Ancona, donated a large piece of land here to the Cistercians. The monks from the Abbazia Chiravalle in Milan arrived that same year and immediately began building the monastery. They used material from the ruins of the nearby Roman city of Urbs Salvia, which had been destroyed by Alaric in 408-410 and also began the reclamation of the swampy forest around. The abbey flourished for three centuries. The monks organized their agricultural land and its influence grew to the extent that it incorporated 33 dependent churches and monasteries. In 1422 the abbey was sacked by condottiero Braccio da Montone, who destroyed the roof of the church and the bell tower, and killed a number of the monks. Subsequently, the Pope entrusted the abbey to a group of eight cardinals as a prebend. In 1581, the abbey was assigned to the Jesuits. Finally, in 1773, after the suppression of the Jesuits, the whole area was handed over to the Bandini family. The last heir of the family left the area to the present Giustiniani-Bandini Foundation, which set up the Fiastra Abbey Nature Reserve in order to preserve this heritage. nave

Abbazia di Chiaravalle di Fiastra

23 Sep 2022 2 51
In 1142 Guarnerio II, Duke of Spoleto and Marquis of Ancona, donated a large piece of land here to the Cistercians. The monks from the Abbazia Chiravalle in Milan arrived that same year and immediately began building the monastery. They used material from the ruins of the nearby Roman city of Urbs Salvia, which had been destroyed by Alaric in 408-410 and also began the reclamation of the swampy forest around. The abbey flourished for three centuries. The monks organized their agricultural land and its influence grew to the extent that it incorporated 33 dependent churches and monasteries. In 1422 the abbey was sacked by condottiero Braccio da Montone, who destroyed the roof of the church and the bell tower, and killed a number of the monks. Subsequently, the Pope entrusted the abbey to a group of eight cardinals as a prebend. In 1581, the abbey was assigned to the Jesuits. Finally, in 1773, after the suppression of the Jesuits, the whole area was handed over to the Bandini family. The last heir of the family left the area to the present Giustiniani-Bandini Foundation, which set up the Fiastra Abbey Nature Reserve in order to preserve this heritage.