Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Mozac

Mozac - Saint-Pierre et Saint-Caprais

01 Nov 2011 209
Mozac Abbey is one of the oldest monasteries in the Auvergne, dating back into Merovingian times. A legend tells that it was founded by Calminius (later Saint Calmin). He must have been pretty important and well off, as his name is connected to the foundations of three abbeys. He introduced the benedictian rules to the area, and brought (from Rome)a relic of Saint Peter and (from Agen) a relic of Saint Caprasius to Mozac. He got buried in the crypt of this church together with his wife Saint Namadie. Within the 9th century relics of Saint Austremonius, the first bishop of Clermont were transferred to Mozac, so already before Santiago de Compostella was on the map, this was a place of pilgrimage. In 1095 Mozac abbey got affiliated to Cluny, but was important enough, to have Hugue of Semur, nephew of Hugue of Cluny here as abbot. He was followed by Eustachius, brother of Petrus Venerabilis. Three churches could be traced here by archeologists, what can be seen today is "Mozac 3", a great church built within the first half of the 12th century. As most of "Mozac 3" got destroyed by a number earthquakes between 1437 and 1490. Actually only ruins can be seen. Apses, choir, ambulatory, radial chapels, transept and clerestorys were beyond repair, when the early reconstruction started - in gothic style. Most pillars and capitals of "Mozac 3" are still in place (in situ). Some / Most of the carvings here are so "perfect", that they seem to be much younger, even baroque, but all are - 12th century - romanesque. - The Book of Jonah "... Now the LORD provided a huge fish to swallow Jonah, and Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights." On the left side of the capital the story continues: "... And the LORD commanded the fish, and it vomited Jonah onto dry land." There is an obviously important city on the shore, having a wall with towers and a city gate. Jonas seems petrified from the shock. The tree behind him has heart-shaped leaves.

Mozac - Saint-Pierre et Saint-Caprais

22 Oct 2011 177
Mozac Abbey is one of the oldest monasteries in the Auvergne, dating back into Merovingian times. A legend tells that it was founded by Calminius (later Saint Calmin). He must have been pretty important and well off, as his name is connected to the foundations of three abbeys. He introduced the benedictian rules to the area, and brought (from Rome)a relic of Saint Peter and (from Agen) a relic of Saint Caprasius to Mozac. He got buried in the crypt of this church together with his wife Saint Namadie. Within the 9th century relics of Saint Austremonius, the first bishop of Clermont were transferred to Mozac, so already before Santiago de Compostella was on the map, this was a place of pilgrimage. In 1095 Mozac abbey got affiliated to Cluny, but was important enough, to have Hugue of Semur, nephew of Hugue of Cluny here as abbot. He was followed by Eustachius, brother of Petrus Venerabilis. Three churches could be traced here by archeologists, what can be seen today is "Mozac 3", a great church built within the first half of the 12th century. As most of "Mozac 3" got destroyed by a number earthquakes between 1437 and 1490. Actually only ruins can be seen. Apses, choir, ambulatory, radial chapels, transept and clerestorys were beyond repair, when the early reconstruction started - in gothic style. Most pillars and capitals of "Mozac 3" are still in place (in situ). Some / Most of the carvings here are so "perfect", that they seem to be much younger, even baroque, but all are - 12th century - romanesque. - Samson fighting the lion. He has just started to tear the lion apart. The lion actually here seems a chimera, as it has a fish head - and paws and tails of a lion.

Mozac - Saint-Pierre et Saint-Caprais

22 Oct 2011 165
Mozac Abbey is one of the oldest monasteries in the Auvergne, dating back into Merovingian times. A legend tells that it was founded by Calminius (later Saint Calmin). He must have been pretty important and well off, as his name is connected to the foundations of three abbeys. He introduced the benedictian rules to the area, and brought (from Rome)a relic of Saint Peter and (from Agen) a relic of Saint Caprasius to Mozac. He got buried in the crypt of this church together with his wife Saint Namadie. Within the 9th century relics of Saint Austremonius, the first bishop of Clermont were transferred to Mozac, so already before Santiago de Compostella was on the map, this was a place of pilgrimage. In 1095 Mozac abbey got affiliated to Cluny, but was important enough, to have Hugue of Semur, nephew of Hugue of Cluny here as abbot. He was followed by Eustachius, brother of Petrus Venerabilis. Three churches could be traced here by archeologists, what can be seen today is "Mozac 3", a great church built within the first half of the 12th century. As most of "Mozac 3" got destroyed by a number earthquakes between 1437 and 1490. Actually only ruins can be seen. Apses, choir, ambulatory, radial chapels, transept and clerestorys were beyond repair, when the early reconstruction started - in gothic style. Most pillars and capitals of "Mozac 3" are still in place (in situ). Some / Most of the carvings here are so "perfect", that they seem to be much younger, even baroque, but all are - 12th century - romanesque. - A very surrealistic scene. A man is riding a giant fish through a vineyard. This may refer to the "Book of Tobit" (Apocrypha). Tobias is attacked by a big fish, kills it and produces medicine from the organs of the beast. The bag may be the bladder of the fish.

Mozac - Saint-Pierre et Saint-Caprais

22 Oct 2011 176
Mozac Abbey is one of the oldest monasteries in the Auvergne, dating back into Merovingian times. A legend tells that it was founded by Calminius (later Saint Calmin). He must have been pretty important and well off, as his name is connected to the foundations of three abbeys. He introduced the benedictian rules to the area, and brought (from Rome)a relic of Saint Peter and (from Agen) a relic of Saint Caprasius to Mozac. He got buried in the crypt of this church together with his wife Saint Namadie. Within the 9th century relics of Saint Austremonius, the first bishop of Clermont were transferred to Mozac, so already before Santiago de Compostella was on the map, this was a place of pilgrimage. In 1095 Mozac abbey got affiliated to Cluny, but was important enough, to have Hugue of Semur, nephew of Hugue of Cluny here as abbot. He was followed by Eustachius, brother of Petrus Venerabilis. Three churches could be traced here by archeologists, what can be seen today is "Mozac 3", a great church built within the first half of the 12th century. As most of "Mozac 3" got destroyed by a number earthquakes between 1437 and 1490. Actually only ruins can be seen. Apses, choir, ambulatory, radial chapels, transept and clerestorys were beyond repair, when the early reconstruction started - in gothic style. Most pillars and capitals of "Mozac 3" are still in place (in situ). Some / Most of the carvings here are so "perfect", that they seem to be much younger, even baroque, but all are - 12th century - romanesque. - Two fantastic griffons, with a grim expression, around a chalice. Absolutely symmetrical. To place two mythical animals or birds aside a chalice is a common theme in the Auvergne, but these griffons here are very spectacular chimeras. Note the tail that splits into two and then transforms to foliage. Crossing the border between fauna and flora

Mozac - Saint-Pierre et Saint-Caprais

21 Oct 2011 178
Mozac Abbey is one of the oldest monasteries in the Auvergne, dating back into Merovingian times. A legend tells that it was founded by Calminius (later Saint Calmin). He must have been pretty important and well off, as his name is connected to the foundations of three abbeys. He introduced the benedictian rules to the area, and brought (from Rome)a relic of Saint Peter and (from Agen) a relic of Saint Caprasius to Mozac. He got buried in the crypt of this church together with his wife Saint Namadie. Within the 9th century relics of Saint Austremonius, the first bishop of Clermont were transferred to Mozac, so already before Santiago de Compostella was on the map, this was a place of pilgrimage. In 1095 Mozac abbey got affiliated to Cluny, but was important enough, to have Hugue of Semur, nephew of Hugue of Cluny here as abbot. He was followed by Eustachius, brother of Petrus Venerabilis. Three churches could be traced here by archeologists, what can be seen today is "Mozac 3", a great church built within the first half of the 12th century. As most of "Mozac 3" got destroyed by a number earthquakes between 1437 and 1490. Actually only ruins can be seen. Apses, choir, ambulatory, radial chapels, transept and clerestorys were beyond repair, when the early reconstruction started - in gothic style. Most pillars and capitals of "Mozac 3" are still in place (in situ). Some / Most of the carvings here are so "perfect", that they seem to be much younger, even baroque, but all are - 12th century - romanesque. - Two men riding goats. Both have grabbed the goats by the horns and face the onlookers. They have friendly faces and wear a kind of cap, not a crown. The tails of the goats end up in foliage. This is one of two capitals with "goat-riders". See the next upload. I have seen another "goat-rider-capital" some time ago in Biozat. Unfortunately at that time, the church was under reconstruction, so I took no photo.. No. I do not think that this has anything to do with Freemasonry.

Mozac - Saint-Pierre et Saint-Caprais

21 Oct 2011 204
Mozac Abbey is one of the oldest monasteries in the Auvergne, dating back into Merovingian times. A legend tells that it was founded by Calminius (later Saint Calmin). He must have been pretty important and well off, as his name is connected to the foundations of three abbeys. He introduced the benedictian rules to the area, and brought (from Rome)a relic of Saint Peter and (from Agen) a relic of Saint Caprasius to Mozac. He got buried in the crypt of this church together with his wife Saint Namadie. Within the 9th century relics of Saint Austremonius, the first bishop of Clermont were transferred to Mozac, so already before Santiago de Compostella was on the map, this was a place of pilgrimage. In 1095 Mozac abbey got affiliated to Cluny, but was important enough, to have Hugue of Semur, nephew of Hugue of Cluny here as abbot. He was followed by Eustachius, brother of Petrus Venerabilis. Three churches could be traced here by archeologists, what can be seen today is "Mozac 3", a great church built within the first half of the 12th century. As most of "Mozac 3" got destroyed by a number earthquakes between 1437 and 1490. Actually only ruins can be seen. Apses, choir, ambulatory, radial chapels, transept and clerestorys were beyond repair, when the early reconstruction started - in gothic style. Most pillars and capitals of "Mozac 3" are still in place (in situ). Some / Most of the carvings here are so "perfect", that they seem to be much younger, even baroque, but all are - 12th century - romanesque. - Two men on their knees showing/presenting the fruits (grapes?) of a large, very symmetrical tree. The two men are naked within a mythical natural enviroment. Adam and Even were naked in the Garden of Eden, before they met the snake. But at that time, the couple was alone in the garden.

Mozac - Saint-Pierre et Saint-Caprais

20 Oct 2011 156
Mozac Abbey is one of the oldest monasteries in the Auvergne. Dating back into Merovingian times, a legend tells that it was founded by Calminius (later Saint Calmin). He must have been pretty important and well off, as his name is connected to the foundations of three abbeys. He introduced the benedictian rules to the area, and brought (from Rome)a relic of Saint Peter and (from Agen) a relic of Saint Caprasius to Mozac. He got buried in the crypt of this church together with his wife Saint Namadie. Within the 9th century relics of Saint Austremonius, the first bishop of Clermont were transferred to Mozac, so already before Santiago de Compostella was on the map, this was a place of pilgrimage. In 1095 Mozac abbey got affiliated to Cluny, but was important enough, to have Hugue of Semur, nephew of Hugue of Cluny here as abbot. He was followed by Eustachius, brother of Petrus Venerabilis. Three churches could be traced here by archeologists, what can be seen today is "Mozac 3", a great church built within the first half of the 12th century. As most of "Mozac 3" got destroyed by a number earthquakes between 1437 and 1490. Actually only ruins can be seen. Apses, choir, ambulatory, radial chapels, transept and clerestorys were beyond repair, when the early reconstruction started - in gothic style. Most pillars and capitals of "Mozac 3" are still in place (in situ). Some / Most of the carvings here are so "perfect", that they seem to be much younger, even baroque, but all are - 12th century - romanesque. - There are two capitals in Mozac depicting centaurs. They are on two "parallel" pillars left and right the aisle. So these capitals have to be seen as a "corresponding couple". This is the second. Here as well both centaurs flank a Y-shaped, fruit bearing tree. The fruits are dangling down here. The fruits are going to be picked from the two centaurs. While the other couple had straight hair, these centaurs wear a trendy, curly hairdo. Note that the tail transforms into foliage, a feature typical for this church.

Mozac - Saint-Pierre et Saint-Caprais

20 Oct 2011 131
Mozac Abbey is one of the oldest monasteries in the Auvergne. Dating back into Merovingian times, a legend tells that it was founded by Calminius (later Saint Calmin). He must have been pretty important and well off, as his name is connected to the foundations of three abbeys. He introduced the benedictian rules to the area, and brought (from Rome)a relic of Saint Peter and (from Agen) a relic of Saint Caprasius to Mozac. He got buried in the crypt of this church together with his wife Saint Namadie. Within the 9th century relics of Saint Austremonius, the first bishop of Clermont were transferred to Mozac, so already before Santiago de Compostella was on the map, this was a place of pilgrimage. In 1095 Mozac abbey got affiliated to Cluny, but was important enough, to have Hugue of Semur, nephew of Hugue of Cluny here as abbot. He was followed by Eustachius, brother of Petrus Venerabilis. Three churches could be traced here by archeologists, what can be seen today is "Mozac 3", a great church built within the first half of the 12th century. As most of "Mozac 3" got destroyed by a number earthquakes between 1437 and 1490. Actually only ruins can be seen. Apses, choir, ambulatory, radial chapels, transept and clerestorys were beyond repair, when the early reconstruction started - in gothic style. Most pillars and capitals of "Mozac 3" are still in place (in situ). Some / Most of the carvings here are so "perfect", that they seem to be much younger, even baroque, but all are - 12th century - romanesque. - There are two capitals in Mozac depicting centaurs. They are on two "parallel" pillars left and right the aisle. So these capitals have to be seen as a "corresponding couple". This is the first. Here both centaurs flank a Y-shaped, fruit bearing tree. The fruits are grown (or holded) in an upright postion. Grapes? The fruits are going to be picked (or just shown). Note the hairstyle of the couple, it differs from the other centaurs on the next photo. Note that the tail transforms to foliage here.

Mozac - Saint-Pierre et Saint-Caprais

20 Oct 2011 164
Mozac Abbey is one of the oldest monasteries in the Auvergne. Dating back into Merovingian times, a legend tells that it was founded by Calminius (later Saint Calmin). He must have been pretty important and well off, as his name is connected to the foundations of three abbeys. He introduced the benedictian rules to the area, and brought (from Rome)a relic of Saint Peter and (from Agen) a relic of Saint Caprasius to Mozac. He got buried in the crypt of this church together with his wife Saint Namadie. Within the 9th century relics of Saint Austremonius, the first bishop of Clermont were transferred to Mozac, so already before Santiago de Compostella was on the map, this was a place of pilgrimage. In 1095 Mozac abbey got affiliated to Cluny, but was important enough, to have Hugue of Semur, nephew of Hugue of Cluny here as abbot. He was followed by Eustachius, brother of Petrus Venerabilis. Three churches could be traced by archeologists, what can be seen today is "Mozac 3", a great church built within the first half of the 12th century. As most of "Mozac 3" got destroyed by a number earthquakes between 1437 and 1490, actually only ruins can be seen. Apses, choir, ambulatory, radial chapels, transept and clerestorys were beyond repair, when the early reconstruction started - in gothic style. Most pillars and capitals of "Mozac 3" are still in place (in situ). Some / Most of the carvings here are so "perfect", that they seem to be much younger, even baroque, but all are - 12th century - romanesque. - Two men, on their knees flank a Y-shaped symmetrical tree / shrub. In the center of this tree / shrub is a fir cone. It could be a grape of course, but the grapes on the other capital are very different. There is another (probably corresponding) capital depicting two (naked!) men on the knees within "nature". See here: www.flickr.com/photos/martin-m-miles/6265924881/

Mozac - Saint-Pierre et Saint-Caprais

20 Oct 2011 145
Mozac Abbey is one of the oldest monasteries in the Auvergne. Dating back into Merovingian times, a legend tells that it was founded by Calminius (later Saint Calmin). He must have been pretty important and well off, as his name is connected to the foundations of three abbeys. He introduced the benedictian rules to the area, and brought (from Rome)a relic of Saint Peter and (from Agen) a relic of Saint Caprasius to Mozac. He got buried in the crypt of this church together with his wife Saint Namadie. Within the 9th century relics of Saint Austremonius, the first bishop of Clermont were transferred to Mozac, so already before Santiago de Compostella was on the map, this was a place of pilgrimage. In 1095 Mozac abbey got affiliated to Cluny, but was important enough, to have Hugue of Semur, nephew of Hugue of Cluny here as abbot. He was followed by Eustachius, brother of Petrus Venerabilis. Three churches could be traced by archeologists, what can be seen today is "Mozac 3", a great church built within the first half of the 12th century. As most of "Mozac 3" got destroyed by a number earthquakes between 1437 and 1490, actually only ruins can be seen. Apses, choir, ambulatory, radial chapels, transept and clerestorys were beyond repair, when the early reconstruction started - in gothic style. Most pillars and capitals of "Mozac 3" are still in place (in situ). Some / Most of the carvings here are so "perfect", that they seem to be much younger, even baroque, but all are - 12th century - romanesque. - This capital is known under different names: "The Winegrowers" or "The Harvest" or "The Stealer". In case these are not two winegrowers harvesting grapes, it could well be, that the left person (eating and holding a spear) is guarding the vineyard, while behind him the grapes get snatched. Now, seen from a different angle, the guardian seems daydreaming, while the stealer is crawling and cutting the grapes with a knife.

Mozac - Saint-Pierre et Saint-Caprais

20 Oct 2011 146
Mozac Abbey is one of the oldest monasteries in the Auvergne. Dating back into Merovingian times, a legend tells that it was founded by Calminius (later Saint Calmin). He must have been pretty important and well off, as his name is connected to the foundations of three abbeys. He introduced the benedictian rules to the area, and brought (from Rome)a relic of Saint Peter and (from Agen) a relic of Saint Caprasius to Mozac. He got buried in the crypt of this church together with his wife Saint Namadie. Within the 9th century relics of Saint Austremonius, the first bishop of Clermont were transferred to Mozac, so already before Santiago de Compostella was on the map, this was a place of pilgrimage. In 1095 Mozac abbey got affiliated to Cluny, but was important enough, to have Hugue of Semur, nephew of Hugue of Cluny here as abbot. He was followed by Eustachius, brother of Petrus Venerabilis. Three churches could be traced by archeologists, what can be seen today is "Mozac 3", a great church built within the first half of the 12th century. As most of "Mozac 3" got destroyed by a number earthquakes between 1437 and 1490, actually only ruins can be seen. Apses, choir, ambulatory, radial chapels, transept and clerestorys were beyond repair, when the early reconstruction started - in gothic style. Most pillars and capitals of "Mozac 3" are still in place (in situ). Some / Most of the carvings here are so "perfect", that they seem to be much younger, even baroque, but all are - 12th century - romanesque. - This capital is known under different names: "The Winegrowers" or "The Harvest" or "The Stealer". In case these are not two winegrowers harvesting grapes, it could well be, that the left person (eating and holding a spear) is guarding the vineyard, while behind him the grapes get snatched.

Mozac - Saint-Pierre et Saint-Caprais

19 Oct 2011 139
This once was the abbey church of Mozac Abbey, one of the oldest monasteries in the Auvergne. Dating back into Merovingian times, a legend tells that it was founded by Calminius (later Saint Calmin). He must have been pretty important and well off, as his name is connected to the foundations of three abbeys. He introduced the benedictian rules to the area, and brought (from Rome)a relic of Saint Peter and (from Agen) a relic of Saint Caprasius to Mozac. He got buried in the crypt of this church together with his wife Saint Namadie. Within the 9th century relics of Saint Austremonius, the first bishop of Clermont were transferred to Mozac, so already before Santiago de Compostella was on the map, this was a place of pilgrimage. In 1095 Mozac abbey got affiliated to Cluny, but was important enough, to have Hugue of Semur, nephew of Hugue of Cluny here as abbot. He was followed by Eustachius, brother of Petrus Venerabilis. Three churches could be found by archeologists: Mozac 1 from the 7th century Mozac 2 built within the 9th century and Mozac 3, a great church that was built within the first half of the 12th century. Of this church today only ruins can be seen, as it got destroyed by a number earthquakes between 1437 and 1490. Apses, choir, ambulatory, radial chapels, transept and clerestorys were beyond repair, when the early reconstruction started - in gothic style. Standing in the nave, facing east to the gothic choir. The nave is about 6 meters wide. All pillars seen here and all the capitals are still in place, they were part of the "Mozac 3" (first half of the 12th century). Most other parts including the vaulting are is gothic (and younger).

Mozac - Saint-Pierre et Saint-Caprais

19 Oct 2011 136
This once was the abbey church of Mozac Abbey, one of the oldest monasteries in the Auvergne. Dating back into Merovingian times, a legend tells that it was founded by Calminius (later Saint Calmin). He must have been pretty important and well off, as his name is connected to the foundations of three abbeys. He introduced the benedictian rules to the area, and brought (from Rome)a relic of Saint Peter and (from Agen) a relic of Saint Caprasius to Mozac. He got buried in the crypt of this church together with his wife Saint Namadie. Within the 9th century relics of Saint Austremonius, the first bishop of Clermont were transferred to Mozac, so already before Santiago de Compostella was on the map, this was a place of pilgrimage. In 1095 Mozac abbey got affiliated to Cluny, but was important enough, to have Hugue of Semur, nephew of Hugue of Cluny here as abbot. He was followed by Eustachius, brother of Petrus Venerabilis. Three churches could be found by archeologists: Mozac 1 from the 7th century Mozac 2 built within the 9th century and Mozac 3, a great church that was built within the first half of the 12th century. Of this church today only ruins can be seen, as it got destroyed by a number earthquakes between 1437 and 1490. Apses, choir, ambulatory, radial chapels, transept and clerestorys were beyond repair, when the early reconstruction started - in gothic style. Most pillars of the nave kept upright and most of the illustrious capitals are still "in situ", on that place, where they always had been. Saint-Pierre et Saint-Caprais seen from south. Here was the cloister before. This got together with other buildings of the monastery sold for demolition after the Revolution. The last monks left the abbey in 1790. Since then this is a parish church.

Mozac - Saint-Pierre et Saint-Caprais

19 Oct 2011 145
This once was the abbey church of Mozac Abbey, one of the oldest monasteries in the Auvergne. Dating back into Merovingian times, a legend tells that it was founded by Calminius (later Saint Calmin). He must have been pretty important and well off, as his name is connected to the foundations of three abbeys. He introduced the benedictian rules to the area, and brought (from Rome)a relic of Saint Peter and (from Agen) a relic of Saint Caprasius to Mozac. He got buried in the crypt of this church together with his wife Saint Namadie. Within the 9th century relics of Saint Austremonius, the first bishop of Clermont were transferred to Mozac, so already before Santiago de Compostella was on the map, this was a place of pilgrimage. In 1095 Mozac abbey got affiliated to Cluny, but was important enough, to have Hugue of Semur, nephew of Hugue of Cluny here as abbot. He was followed by Eustachius, brother of Petrus Venerabilis. Three churches could be found by archeologists: Mozac 1 from the 7th century Mozac 2 built within the 9th century and Mozac 3, a great church that was built within the first half of the 12th century. Of this church today only ruins can be seen, as it got destroyed by a number earthquakes between 1437 and 1490. Apses, choir, ambulatory, radial chapels, transept and clerestorys were beyond repair, when the early reconstruction started - in gothic style. Most pillars of the nave kept upright and most of the illustrious capitals are still "in situ", on that place, where they always had been. Saint-Pierre et Saint-Caprais seen from north. The most part of the tower on the right is pre-roman. The church was higher before, see the row of arches.

Saint-Hilaire-la-Croix

06 Oct 2011 187
What is the parish church of the tiny village of Saint-Hilaire-la-Croix today, was the church of a priory, depending from Mozat around 1165. In the beginning the priory was named "Saint-Hilaire-lac-rouge", but over the time, the old name got a little "deformed". There is not much known about the priory. In the early years it served the pilgrims on their way - and somehow it was important enough, to built (and finance) such an extraordenary church. Bernard Craplet ("Auvergne romane") dates the building phase from around 1100 to 1200. Later Augustinian Canons and Vincentians lived here. Not a sucess story for the next centuries the buildings were sold already in 1742. This is the most expressive of the capitals around the crossing in Saint-Hilaire-la-Croix. At least for me. I described most details already, when I uploaded the other photo taken from a more central pov, so now I just point out two details. Above the elbow of the dancer is a kind of tassel, actually an ornament often seen in medieval carvings, but mostly this ornament is static and symmetric. Here it is assymetric. It really seems to be a swinging textile tassel, just being moved by the elbow. In case the male musician and the female contortionist, performing here, are professionals, they for sure needed a manager, who organised the gigs - and passed the hat around. See the manager in the corner to the very right.

Saint-Hilaire-la-Croix

06 Oct 2011 154
What is the parish church of the tiny village of Saint-Hilaire-la-Croix today, was the church of a priory, depending from Mozat around 1165. In the beginning the priory was named "Saint-Hilaire-lac-rouge", but over the time, the old name got a little "deformed". There is not much known about the priory. In the early years it served the pilgrims on their way - and somehow it was important enough, to built (and finance) such an extraordenary church. Bernard Craplet ("Auvergne romane") dates the building phase from around 1100 to 1200. Later Augustinian Canons and Vincentians lived here. Not a sucess story for the next centuries the buildings were sold already in 1742. One of capitals at the crossing depicts the two birds and between them the chalice. One of the symmetrical "icons", that can often be seen in the Auvergne. Special here are the two men behind the birds. With stoic faces they are putting /dropping something into the calice. Small round objects. Hosts? How did the sacramental bread look like in the 12th century? Restoration seems to be on its way here. Two zones have been obviously treated by a chemical (antifungal?) substance. Now the effect is watched. That explains the little stickers.

Saint-Hilaire-la-Croix

06 Oct 2011 129
What is the parish church of the tiny village of Saint-Hilaire-la-Croix today, was the church of a priory, depending from Mozat around 1165. In the beginning the priory was named "Saint-Hilaire-lac-rouge", but over the time, the old name got a little "deformed". There is not much known about the priory. In the early years it served the pilgrims on their way - and somehow it was important enough, to built (and finance) such an extraordenary church. Bernard Craplet ("Auvergne romane") dates the building phase from around 1100 to 1200. Later Augustinian Canons and Vincentians lived here. Not a sucess story for the next centuries the buildings were sold already in 1742. Standing in the back of the wide nave, facing east to the choir. The chuch is more than 36 meters long. Two aisles can be seen to the sides. There is a transept and (not to be seen from this pov) both sides of the transept have an apse. The capitals seen from here seem simple. More elaborated capitals are placed around the crossing, dated to 1175 by Bernard Craplet in "Auvergne romane". The baptismal font in front is a "reused" romanesque capital.

Saint-Hilaire-la-Croix

05 Oct 2011 179
What is the parish church of the tiny village of Saint-Hilaire-la-Croix today, was the church of a priory, depending from Mozat around 1165. In the beginning the priory was named "Saint-Hilaire-lac-rouge", but over the time, the old name got a little "deformed". There is not much known about the priory. In the early years it served the pilgrims on their way - and somehow it was important enough, to built (and finance) such an extraordenary church. Bernard Craplet ("Auvergne romane") dates the building phase from around 1100 to 1200. Later Augustinian Canons and Vincentians lived here. Not a sucess story for the next centuries the buildings were sold already in 1742. Sofar all photos from Saint-Hilaire-la-Croix showed the elaborate northern portal used by and built for the pilgrims and the general public. The monks of the priory entered the church, after having walked through the (lost) cloister, through the much smaller southern portal. The nicely carved, semicircular tympanum depicts Jesus, Simon, two other guests and Mary Magdalene. Luke 7:36-7:38 36 Now one of the Pharisees invited Jesus to have dinner with him, so he went to the Pharisee's house and reclined at the table. 37 When a woman who had lived a sinful life in that town learned that Jesus was eating at the Pharisee's house, she brought an alabaster jar of perfume, 38 and as she stood behind him at his feet weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears. Then she wiped them with her hair, kissed them and poured perfume on them. -- The beast to the right of the scene seems a relative of the pillar-eaters that flank the northern portal.

28 items in total