Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: St. Michaeliskirche
Hildesheim - St. Godehard
02 Aug 2022 |
|
|
Louis the Pious founded the bishopric of Hildesheim in 815. The settlement developed into a town and was granted market rights by King Otto III in 983. Craftsmen and merchants were attracted and the city developed into an important community. By 1167, Hildesheim was an almost completely walled market settlement.
At the beginning of the 13th century, Hildesheim had about 5,000 inhabitants, and when Hildesheim received its city charter in 1249, it was one of the largest cities in northern Germany. The clergy ruled Hildesheim for four centuries before a town hall was built and the citizens gained influence and independence. In 1367, Hildesheim became a member of the Hanseatic League. But what is now called Hildesheim was various small "suburbs". After centuries of (sometimes armed) disputes, it was not until the end of the 16th century that a union was created and subsequently at least the inner wall was taken down Old and New Town.
During the Thirty Years' War, Hildesheim was besieged and occupied several times. In 1813, after the Napoleonic Wars, the town became part of the Kingdom of Hanover, which was annexed by the Kingdom of Prussia as a province after the Austro-Prussian War in 1866.
The air raids on Hildesheim in 1944/45 destroyed large parts of the city. Of the 1500 half-timbered houses, only 200 remained. 90 percent of the historic old town was destroyed in the firestorm.
-
St. Godehard, one of the most important bishops of Hildesheim from 1022 to 1038, was canonized in 1133. In the same year, construction began on a church and monastery in his honor. In 1172 the work was completed and this church got consecrated.
The monastery remained untouched by the Reformation and existed until secularization in 1803. The basilica was saved from demolition and became a Catholic parish church.
The basilica remained almost unchanged over the centuries and was not heavily damaged even during WWII. From 1945 to 1960, when Hildesheim Cathedral was destroyed and rebuilt, St, Godehard served as the "cathedral" of the Bishop of Hildesheim.
The capitals in St. Godehard are excellently worked.
Hildesheim - St. Godehard
02 Aug 2022 |
|
|
|
Louis the Pious founded the bishopric of Hildesheim in 815. The settlement developed into a town and was granted market rights by King Otto III in 983. Craftsmen and merchants were attracted and the city developed into an important community. By 1167, Hildesheim was an almost completely walled market settlement.
At the beginning of the 13th century, Hildesheim had about 5,000 inhabitants, and when Hildesheim received its city charter in 1249, it was one of the largest cities in northern Germany. The clergy ruled Hildesheim for four centuries before a town hall was built and the citizens gained influence and independence. In 1367, Hildesheim became a member of the Hanseatic League. But what is now called Hildesheim was various small "suburbs". After centuries of (sometimes armed) disputes, it was not until the end of the 16th century that a union was created and subsequently at least the inner wall was taken down Old and New Town.
During the Thirty Years' War, Hildesheim was besieged and occupied several times. In 1813, after the Napoleonic Wars, the town became part of the Kingdom of Hanover, which was annexed by the Kingdom of Prussia as a province after the Austro-Prussian War in 1866.
The air raids on Hildesheim in 1944/45 destroyed large parts of the city. Of the 1500 half-timbered houses, only 200 remained. 90 percent of the historic old town was destroyed in the firestorm.
-
St. Godehard, one of the most important bishops of Hildesheim from 1022 to 1038, was canonized in 1133. In the same year, construction began on a church and monastery in his honor. In 1172 the work was completed and this church got consecrated.
The monastery remained untouched by the Reformation and existed until secularization in 1803. The basilica was saved from demolition and became a Catholic parish church.
The basilica remained almost unchanged over the centuries and was not heavily damaged even during WWII. From 1945 to 1960, when Hildesheim Cathedral was destroyed and rebuilt, St, Godehard served as the "cathedral" of the Bishop of Hildesheim.
The capitals in St. Godehard are excellently worked.
Hildesheim - St. Godehard
02 Aug 2022 |
|
|
Louis the Pious founded the bishopric of Hildesheim in 815. The settlement developed into a town and was granted market rights by King Otto III in 983. Craftsmen and merchants were attracted and the city developed into an important community. By 1167, Hildesheim was an almost completely walled market settlement.
At the beginning of the 13th century, Hildesheim had about 5,000 inhabitants, and when Hildesheim received its city charter in 1249, it was one of the largest cities in northern Germany. The clergy ruled Hildesheim for four centuries before a town hall was built and the citizens gained influence and independence. In 1367, Hildesheim became a member of the Hanseatic League. But what is now called Hildesheim was various small "suburbs". After centuries of (sometimes armed) disputes, it was not until the end of the 16th century that a union was created and subsequently at least the inner wall was taken down Old and New Town.
During the Thirty Years' War, Hildesheim was besieged and occupied several times. In 1813, after the Napoleonic Wars, the town became part of the Kingdom of Hanover, which was annexed by the Kingdom of Prussia as a province after the Austro-Prussian War in 1866.
The air raids on Hildesheim in 1944/45 destroyed large parts of the city. Of the 1500 half-timbered houses, only 200 remained. 90 percent of the historic old town was destroyed in the firestorm.
-
St. Godehard, one of the most important bishops of Hildesheim from 1022 to 1038, was canonized in 1133. In the same year, construction began on a church and monastery in his honor. In 1172 the work was completed and this church got consecrated.
The monastery remained untouched by the Reformation and existed until secularization in 1803. The basilica was saved from demolition and became a Catholic parish church.
The basilica remained almost unchanged over the centuries and was not heavily damaged even during WWII. From 1945 to 1960, when Hildesheim Cathedral was destroyed and rebuilt, St, Godehard served as the "cathedral" of the Bishop of Hildesheim.
The painting of the choir was created in the middle of the 19th century. The large wheel chandelier was donated to the church in 1864 by Queen Marie of Hanover. The chandelier got damaged when thieves broke into St. Godehard in 2021.
Hildesheim - St. Godehard
02 Aug 2022 |
|
|
Louis the Pious founded the bishopric of Hildesheim in 815. The settlement developed into a town and was granted market rights by King Otto III in 983. Craftsmen and merchants were attracted and the city developed into an important community. By 1167, Hildesheim was an almost completely walled market settlement.
At the beginning of the 13th century, Hildesheim had about 5,000 inhabitants, and when Hildesheim received its city charter in 1249, it was one of the largest cities in northern Germany. The clergy ruled Hildesheim for four centuries before a town hall was built and the citizens gained influence and independence. In 1367, Hildesheim became a member of the Hanseatic League. But what is now called Hildesheim was various small "suburbs". After centuries of (sometimes armed) disputes, it was not until the end of the 16th century that a union was created and subsequently at least the inner wall was taken down Old and New Town.
During the Thirty Years' War, Hildesheim was besieged and occupied several times. In 1813, after the Napoleonic Wars, the town became part of the Kingdom of Hanover, which was annexed by the Kingdom of Prussia as a province after the Austro-Prussian War in 1866.
The air raids on Hildesheim in 1944/45 destroyed large parts of the city. Of the 1500 half-timbered houses, only 200 remained. 90 percent of the historic old town was destroyed in the firestorm.
-
St. Godehard, one of the most important bishops of Hildesheim from 1022 to 1038, was canonized in 1133. In the same year, construction began on a church and monastery in his honor. In 1172 the work was completed and this church got consecrated.
The monastery remained untouched by the Reformation and existed until secularization in 1803. The basilica was saved from demolition and became a Catholic parish church.
The basilica remained almost unchanged over the centuries and was not heavily damaged even during WWII. From 1945 to 1960, when Hildesheim Cathedral was destroyed and rebuilt, St, Godehard served as the "cathedral" of the Bishop of Hildesheim.
The nave
Hildesheim - St. Godehard
02 Aug 2022 |
|
Louis the Pious founded the bishopric of Hildesheim in 815. The settlement developed into a town and was granted market rights by King Otto III in 983. Craftsmen and merchants were attracted and the city developed into an important community. By 1167, Hildesheim was an almost completely walled market settlement.
At the beginning of the 13th century, Hildesheim had about 5,000 inhabitants, and when Hildesheim received its city charter in 1249, it was one of the largest cities in northern Germany. The clergy ruled Hildesheim for four centuries before a town hall was built and the citizens gained influence and independence. In 1367, Hildesheim became a member of the Hanseatic League. But what is now called Hildesheim was various small "suburbs". After centuries of (sometimes armed) disputes, it was not until the end of the 16th century that a union was created and subsequently at least the inner wall was taken down Old and New Town.
During the Thirty Years' War, Hildesheim was besieged and occupied several times. In 1813, after the Napoleonic Wars, the town became part of the Kingdom of Hanover, which was annexed by the Kingdom of Prussia as a province after the Austro-Prussian War in 1866.
The air raids on Hildesheim in 1944/45 destroyed large parts of the city. Of the 1500 half-timbered houses, only 200 remained. 90 percent of the historic old town was destroyed in the firestorm.
-
St. Godehard, one of the most important bishops of Hildesheim from 1022 to 1038, was canonized in 1133. In the same year, construction began on a church and monastery in his honor. In 1172 the work was completed and this church got consecrated.
The monastery remained untouched by the Reformation and existed until secularization in 1803. The basilica was saved from demolition and became a Catholic parish church.
The basilica remained almost unchanged over the centuries and was not heavily damaged even during WWII. From 1945 to 1960, when Hildesheim Cathedral was destroyed and rebuilt, St, Godehard served as the "cathedral" of the Bishop of Hildesheim.
Hildesheim - St. Godehard
01 Aug 2022 |
|
|
|
Louis the Pious founded the bishopric of Hildesheim in 815. The settlement developed into a town and was granted market rights by King Otto III in 983. Craftsmen and merchants were attracted and the city developed into an important community. By 1167, Hildesheim was an almost completely walled market settlement.
At the beginning of the 13th century, Hildesheim had about 5,000 inhabitants, and when Hildesheim received its city charter in 1249, it was one of the largest cities in northern Germany. The clergy ruled Hildesheim for four centuries before a town hall was built and the citizens gained influence and independence. In 1367, Hildesheim became a member of the Hanseatic League. But what is now called Hildesheim was various small "suburbs". After centuries of (sometimes armed) disputes, it was not until the end of the 16th century that a union was created and subsequently at least the inner wall was taken down Old and New Town.
During the Thirty Years' War, Hildesheim was besieged and occupied several times. In 1813, after the Napoleonic Wars, the town became part of the Kingdom of Hanover, which was annexed by the Kingdom of Prussia as a province after the Austro-Prussian War in 1866.
The air raids on Hildesheim in 1944/45 destroyed large parts of the city. Of the 1500 half-timbered houses, only 200 remained. 90 percent of the historic old town was destroyed in the firestorm.
-
St. Godehard, one of the most important bishops of Hildesheim from 1022 to 1038, was canonized in 1133. In the same year, construction began on a church and monastery in his honor. In 1172 the work was completed and this church got consecrated.
The monastery remained untouched by the Reformation and existed until secularization in 1803. The basilica was saved from demolition and became a Catholic parish church.
The basilica remained almost unchanged over the centuries and was not heavily damaged even during WWII. From 1945 to 1960, when Hildesheim Cathedral was destroyed and rebuilt, St, Godehard served as the "cathedral" of the Bishop of Hildesheim.
Hildesheim - St. Godehard
01 Aug 2022 |
|
|
|
Louis the Pious founded the bishopric of Hildesheim in 815. The settlement developed into a town and was granted market rights by King Otto III in 983. Craftsmen and merchants were attracted and the city developed into an important community. By 1167, Hildesheim was an almost completely walled market settlement.
At the beginning of the 13th century, Hildesheim had about 5,000 inhabitants, and when Hildesheim received its city charter in 1249, it was one of the largest cities in northern Germany. The clergy ruled Hildesheim for four centuries before a town hall was built and the citizens gained influence and independence. In 1367, Hildesheim became a member of the Hanseatic League. But what is now called Hildesheim was various small "suburbs". After centuries of (sometimes armed) disputes, it was not until the end of the 16th century that a union was created and subsequently at least the inner wall was taken down Old and New Town.
During the Thirty Years' War, Hildesheim was besieged and occupied several times. In 1813, after the Napoleonic Wars, the town became part of the Kingdom of Hanover, which was annexed by the Kingdom of Prussia as a province after the Austro-Prussian War in 1866.
The air raids on Hildesheim in 1944/45 destroyed large parts of the city. Of the 1500 half-timbered houses, only 200 remained. 90 percent of the historic old town was destroyed in the firestorm.
-
St. Godehard, one of the most important bishops of Hildesheim from 1022 to 1038, was canonized in 1133. In the same year, construction began on a church and monastery in his honor. In 1172 the work was completed and this church got consecrated.
The monastery remained untouched by the Reformation and existed until secularization in 1803. The basilica was saved from demolition and became a Catholic parish church.
The basilica remained almost unchanged over the centuries and was not heavily damaged even during WWII. From 1945 to 1960, when Hildesheim Cathedral was destroyed and rebuilt, St, Godehard served as the "cathedral" of the Bishop of Hildesheim.
Hildesheim - St. Godehard
01 Aug 2022 |
|
|
|
Louis the Pious founded the bishopric of Hildesheim in 815. The settlement developed into a town and was granted market rights by King Otto III in 983. Craftsmen and merchants were attracted and the city developed into an important community. By 1167, Hildesheim was an almost completely walled market settlement.
At the beginning of the 13th century, Hildesheim had about 5,000 inhabitants, and when Hildesheim received its city charter in 1249, it was one of the largest cities in northern Germany. The clergy ruled Hildesheim for four centuries before a town hall was built and the citizens gained influence and independence. In 1367, Hildesheim became a member of the Hanseatic League. But what is now called Hildesheim was various small "suburbs". After centuries of (sometimes armed) disputes, it was not until the end of the 16th century that a union was created and subsequently at least the inner wall was taken down Old and New Town.
During the Thirty Years' War, Hildesheim was besieged and occupied several times. In 1813, after the Napoleonic Wars, the town became part of the Kingdom of Hanover, which was annexed by the Kingdom of Prussia as a province after the Austro-Prussian War in 1866.
The air raids on Hildesheim in 1944/45 destroyed large parts of the city. Of the 1500 half-timbered houses, only 200 remained. 90 percent of the historic old town was destroyed in the firestorm.
-
St. Godehard, one of the most important bishops of Hildesheim from 1022 to 1038, was canonized in 1133. In the same year, construction began on a church and monastery in his honor. In 1172 the work was completed and this church got consecrated.
The monastery remained untouched by the Reformation and existed until secularization in 1803. The basilica was saved from demolition and became a Catholic parish church.
The basilica remained almost unchanged over the centuries and was not heavily damaged even during WWII. From 1945 to 1960, when Hildesheim Cathedral was destroyed and rebuilt, St, Godehard served as the "cathedral" of the Bishop of Hildesheim.
Hildesheim - Wernersches Haus
31 Jul 2022 |
|
|
|
Louis the Pious founded the bishopric of Hildesheim in 815. The settlement developed into a town and was granted market rights by King Otto III in 983. Craftsmen and merchants were attracted and the city developed into an important community. By 1167, Hildesheim was an almost completely walled market settlement.
At the beginning of the 13th century, Hildesheim had about 5,000 inhabitants, and when Hildesheim received its city charter in 1249, it was one of the largest cities in northern Germany. The clergy ruled Hildesheim for four centuries before a town hall was built and the citizens gained influence and independence. In 1367, Hildesheim became a member of the Hanseatic League. But what is now called Hildesheim was various small "suburbs". After centuries of (sometimes armed) disputes, it was not until the end of the 16th century that a union was created and subsequently at least the inner wall was taken down Old and New Town.
During the Thirty Years' War, Hildesheim was besieged and occupied several times. In 1813, after the Napoleonic Wars, the town became part of the Kingdom of Hanover, which was annexed by the Kingdom of Prussia as a province after the Austro-Prussian War in 1866.
The air raids on Hildesheim in 1944/45 destroyed large parts of the city. Of the 1500 half-timbered houses, only 200 remained. 90 percent of the historic old town was destroyed in the firestorm.
-
A small area in the southern part of the old town, the area around the Godehardikirche, remained largely intact during the war. The stately Werner House is a Renaissance half-timbered house dates back to 1606 and is named after its builder, the episcopal secretary Philip Werner. It suffered fire damage during the bombing of Hildesheim in 1945, which had already been repaired by 1948.
A detail
Hildesheim - Wernersches Haus
31 Jul 2022 |
|
|
Louis the Pious founded the bishopric of Hildesheim in 815. The settlement developed into a town and was granted market rights by King Otto III in 983. Craftsmen and merchants were attracted and the city developed into an important community. By 1167, Hildesheim was an almost completely walled market settlement.
At the beginning of the 13th century, Hildesheim had about 5,000 inhabitants, and when Hildesheim received its city charter in 1249, it was one of the largest cities in northern Germany. The clergy ruled Hildesheim for four centuries before a town hall was built and the citizens gained influence and independence. In 1367, Hildesheim became a member of the Hanseatic League. But what is now called Hildesheim was various small "suburbs". After centuries of (sometimes armed) disputes, it was not until the end of the 16th century that a union was created and subsequently at least the inner wall was taken down Old and New Town.
During the Thirty Years' War, Hildesheim was besieged and occupied several times. In 1813, after the Napoleonic Wars, the town became part of the Kingdom of Hanover, which was annexed by the Kingdom of Prussia as a province after the Austro-Prussian War in 1866.
The air raids on Hildesheim in 1944/45 destroyed large parts of the city. Of the 1500 half-timbered houses, only 200 remained. 90 percent of the historic old town was destroyed in the firestorm.
-
A small area in the southern part of the old town, the area around the Godehardikirche, remained largely intact during the war. The stately Werner House is a Renaissance half-timbered house dates back to 1606 and is named after its builder, the episcopal secretary Philip Werner. It suffered fire damage during the bombing of Hildesheim in 1945, which had already been repaired by 1948.
Hildesheim - Waffenschmiedehaus
31 Jul 2022 |
|
|
|
Louis the Pious founded the bishopric of Hildesheim in 815. The settlement developed into a town and was granted market rights by King Otto III in 983. Craftsmen and merchants were attracted and the city developed into an important community. By 1167, Hildesheim was an almost completely walled market settlement.
At the beginning of the 13th century, Hildesheim had about 5,000 inhabitants, and when Hildesheim received its city charter in 1249, it was one of the largest cities in northern Germany. The clergy ruled Hildesheim for four centuries before a town hall was built and the citizens gained influence and independence. In 1367, Hildesheim became a member of the Hanseatic League. But what is now called Hildesheim was various small "suburbs". After centuries of (sometimes armed) disputes, it was not until the end of the 16th century that a union was created and subsequently at least the inner wall was taken down Old and New Town.
During the Thirty Years' War, Hildesheim was besieged and occupied several times. In 1813, after the Napoleonic Wars, the town became part of the Kingdom of Hanover, which was annexed by the Kingdom of Prussia as a province after the Austro-Prussian War in 1866.
The air raids on Hildesheim in 1944/45 destroyed large parts of the city. Of the 1500 half-timbered houses, only 200 remained. 90 percent of the historic old town was destroyed in the firestorm.
-
A small area in the southern part of the old town, the area around the Godehardikirche, remained largely intact during the war. The Waffenschmiedehaus (gunsmith's house) is from 1548 and now houses the "Neisse Heimat Museum", where memories and exhibits from the Neisse area (now Poland) are collected.
Hildesheim
31 Jul 2022 |
|
|
Louis the Pious founded the bishopric of Hildesheim in 815. The settlement developed into a town and was granted market rights by King Otto III in 983. Craftsmen and merchants were attracted and the city developed into an important community. By 1167, Hildesheim was an almost completely walled market settlement.
At the beginning of the 13th century, Hildesheim had about 5,000 inhabitants, and when Hildesheim received its city charter in 1249, it was one of the largest cities in northern Germany. The clergy ruled Hildesheim for four centuries before a town hall was built and the citizens gained influence and independence. In 1367, Hildesheim became a member of the Hanseatic League. But what is now called Hildesheim was various small "suburbs". After centuries of (sometimes armed) disputes, it was not until the end of the 16th century that a union was created and subsequently at least the inner wall was taken down Old and New Town.
During the Thirty Years' War, Hildesheim was besieged and occupied several times. In 1813, after the Napoleonic Wars, the town became part of the Kingdom of Hanover, which was annexed by the Kingdom of Prussia as a province after the Austro-Prussian War in 1866.
The air raids on Hildesheim in 1944/45 destroyed large parts of the city. Of the 1500 half-timbered houses, only 200 remained. 90 percent of the historic old town was destroyed in the firestorm.
-
A small area in the southern part of the old town, the area around the Godehardikirche, remained largely intact during the war.
Hildesheim - St. Michaeliskirche
30 Jul 2022 |
|
|
Louis the Pious founded the bishopric of Hildesheim in 815. The settlement developed into a town and was granted market rights by King Otto III in 983. Craftsmen and merchants were attracted and the city developed into an important community. By 1167, Hildesheim was an almost completely walled market settlement.
At the beginning of the 13th century, Hildesheim had about 5,000 inhabitants, and when Hildesheim received its city charter in 1249, it was one of the largest cities in northern Germany. The clergy ruled Hildesheim for four centuries before a town hall was built and the citizens gained influence and independence. In 1367, Hildesheim became a member of the Hanseatic League. But what is now called Hildesheim was various small "suburbs". After centuries of (sometimes armed) disputes, it was not until the end of the 16th century that a union was created and subsequently at least the inner wall was taken down Old and New Town.
During the Thirty Years' War, Hildesheim was besieged and occupied several times. In 1813, after the Napoleonic Wars, the town became part of the Kingdom of Hanover, which was annexed by the Kingdom of Prussia as a province after the Austro-Prussian War in 1866.
The air raids on Hildesheim in 1944/45 destroyed large parts of the city. Of the 1500 half-timbered houses, only 200 remained. 90 percent of the historic old town was destroyed in the firestorm.
-
St. Michaeliskirche is an Ottonian, early Romanesque church. It was the abbey church of the Benedictine abbey until the Reformation. Today it is a shared church, the main church being Lutheran and the crypt being Roman Catholic.
Bishop Bernward of Hildesheim (996–1022) founded the monastery just a half kilometer north of the city walls. He set the first stone for the new church in 1010. Construction continued under Bishop Godehard, who completed the work in 1031 and reconsecrated the church. The church has double choirs east and west and six towers, two large ones over the crossings east and west, and four other tall and narrow ones attached to the small sides of the two transepts.
When the people of Hildesheim became Protestant in 1542, St. Michael's became Lutheran, but the Benedictine monastery operated here until it was secularized in 1803. Monks continued to use the church, especially its western choir and crypt, down to that moment.
St. Michael's Church was heavily damaged in an air raid during World War II on 22 March 1945, but reconstruction was begun in 1950 and completed in 1957. In 1985, the church became a UNESCO World Cultural Heritage site, along with the Cathedral of Hildesheim.
The altar was created around 1520 and was originally placed in the church of the Johannisstift. In the course of the Reformation, it was transferred to the now Protestant Martinikirche, the former church of the Franciscan monastery. In the middle of the 19th century, the church was profaned and used as a museum. The congregation moved (back) to St. Michaeliskirche in 1857 and brought the altar possibly as a replacement. However, the two outer wings, painted on both sides, were sold to the Museum Society and are now in the possession of the City Museum.
Seven saints dressed in golden robes can be seen. In the center is Mary with the infant Jesus. At her side are John the Evangelist on the left and John the Baptist on the right.
Hildesheim - St. Michaeliskirche
30 Jul 2022 |
|
|
Louis the Pious founded the bishopric of Hildesheim in 815. The settlement developed into a town and was granted market rights by King Otto III in 983. Craftsmen and merchants were attracted and the city developed into an important community. By 1167, Hildesheim was an almost completely walled market settlement.
At the beginning of the 13th century, Hildesheim had about 5,000 inhabitants, and when Hildesheim received its city charter in 1249, it was one of the largest cities in northern Germany. The clergy ruled Hildesheim for four centuries before a town hall was built and the citizens gained influence and independence. In 1367, Hildesheim became a member of the Hanseatic League. But what is now called Hildesheim was various small "suburbs". After centuries of (sometimes armed) disputes, it was not until the end of the 16th century that a union was created and subsequently at least the inner wall was taken down Old and New Town.
During the Thirty Years' War, Hildesheim was besieged and occupied several times. In 1813, after the Napoleonic Wars, the town became part of the Kingdom of Hanover, which was annexed by the Kingdom of Prussia as a province after the Austro-Prussian War in 1866.
The air raids on Hildesheim in 1944/45 destroyed large parts of the city. Of the 1500 half-timbered houses, only 200 remained. 90 percent of the historic old town was destroyed in the firestorm.
-
St. Michaeliskirche is an Ottonian, early Romanesque church. It was the abbey church of the Benedictine abbey until the Reformation. Today it is a shared church, the main church being Lutheran and the crypt being Roman Catholic.
Bishop Bernward of Hildesheim (996–1022) founded the monastery just a half kilometer north of the city walls. He set the first stone for the new church in 1010. Construction continued under Bishop Godehard, who completed the work in 1031 and reconsecrated the church. The church has double choirs east and west and six towers, two large ones over the crossings east and west, and four other tall and narrow ones attached to the small sides of the two transepts.
When the people of Hildesheim became Protestant in 1542, St. Michael's became Lutheran, but the Benedictine monastery operated here until it was secularized in 1803. Monks continued to use the church, especially its western choir and crypt, down to that moment.
St. Michael's Church was heavily damaged in an air raid during World War II on 22 March 1945, but reconstruction was begun in 1950 and completed in 1957. In 1985, the church became a UNESCO World Cultural Heritage site, along with the Cathedral of Hildesheim.
The triumphal cross
Hildesheim - St. Michaeliskirche
30 Jul 2022 |
|
|
Louis the Pious founded the bishopric of Hildesheim in 815. The settlement developed into a town and was granted market rights by King Otto III in 983. Craftsmen and merchants were attracted and the city developed into an important community. By 1167, Hildesheim was an almost completely walled market settlement.
At the beginning of the 13th century, Hildesheim had about 5,000 inhabitants, and when Hildesheim received its city charter in 1249, it was one of the largest cities in northern Germany. The clergy ruled Hildesheim for four centuries before a town hall was built and the citizens gained influence and independence. In 1367, Hildesheim became a member of the Hanseatic League. But what is now called Hildesheim was various small "suburbs". After centuries of (sometimes armed) disputes, it was not until the end of the 16th century that a union was created and subsequently at least the inner wall was taken down Old and New Town.
During the Thirty Years' War, Hildesheim was besieged and occupied several times. In 1813, after the Napoleonic Wars, the town became part of the Kingdom of Hanover, which was annexed by the Kingdom of Prussia as a province after the Austro-Prussian War in 1866.
The air raids on Hildesheim in 1944/45 destroyed large parts of the city. Of the 1500 half-timbered houses, only 200 remained. 90 percent of the historic old town was destroyed in the firestorm.
-
St. Michaeliskirche is an Ottonian, early Romanesque church. It was the abbey church of the Benedictine abbey until the Reformation. Today it is a shared church, the main church being Lutheran and the crypt being Roman Catholic.
Bishop Bernward of Hildesheim (996–1022) founded the monastery just a half kilometer north of the city walls. He set the first stone for the new church in 1010. Construction continued under Bishop Godehard, who completed the work in 1031 and reconsecrated the church. The church has double choirs east and west and six towers, two large ones over the crossings east and west, and four other tall and narrow ones attached to the small sides of the two transepts.
When the people of Hildesheim became Protestant in 1542, St. Michael's became Lutheran, but the Benedictine monastery operated here until it was secularized in 1803. Monks continued to use the church, especially its western choir and crypt, down to that moment.
St. Michael's Church was heavily damaged in an air raid during World War II on 22 March 1945, but reconstruction was begun in 1950 and completed in 1957. In 1985, the church became a UNESCO World Cultural Heritage site, along with the Cathedral of Hildesheim.
Bishop Bernward of Hildesheim had also donated this church as a burial church and designated the crypt as his burial place. The "Bernward's Crypt" was consecrated by him on Michaelmas Day, 29 September 1015.
Bernward, founder of the church.
Hildesheim - St. Michaeliskirche
30 Jul 2022 |
|
|
Louis the Pious founded the bishopric of Hildesheim in 815. The settlement developed into a town and was granted market rights by King Otto III in 983. Craftsmen and merchants were attracted and the city developed into an important community. By 1167, Hildesheim was an almost completely walled market settlement.
At the beginning of the 13th century, Hildesheim had about 5,000 inhabitants, and when Hildesheim received its city charter in 1249, it was one of the largest cities in northern Germany. The clergy ruled Hildesheim for four centuries before a town hall was built and the citizens gained influence and independence. In 1367, Hildesheim became a member of the Hanseatic League. But what is now called Hildesheim was various small "suburbs". After centuries of (sometimes armed) disputes, it was not until the end of the 16th century that a union was created and subsequently at least the inner wall was taken down Old and New Town.
During the Thirty Years' War, Hildesheim was besieged and occupied several times. In 1813, after the Napoleonic Wars, the town became part of the Kingdom of Hanover, which was annexed by the Kingdom of Prussia as a province after the Austro-Prussian War in 1866.
The air raids on Hildesheim in 1944/45 destroyed large parts of the city. Of the 1500 half-timbered houses, only 200 remained. 90 percent of the historic old town was destroyed in the firestorm.
-
St. Michaeliskirche is an Ottonian, early Romanesque church. It was the abbey church of the Benedictine abbey until the Reformation. Today it is a shared church, the main church being Lutheran and the crypt being Roman Catholic.
Bishop Bernward of Hildesheim (996–1022) founded the monastery just a half kilometer north of the city walls. He set the first stone for the new church in 1010. Construction continued under Bishop Godehard, who completed the work in 1031 and reconsecrated the church. The church has double choirs east and west and six towers, two large ones over the crossings east and west, and four other tall and narrow ones attached to the small sides of the two transepts.
When the people of Hildesheim became Protestant in 1542, St. Michael's became Lutheran, but the Benedictine monastery operated here until it was secularized in 1803. Monks continued to use the church, especially its western choir and crypt, down to that moment.
St. Michael's Church was heavily damaged in an air raid during World War II on 22 March 1945, but reconstruction was begun in 1950 and completed in 1957. In 1985, the church became a UNESCO World Cultural Heritage site, along with the Cathedral of Hildesheim.
Bishop Bernward of Hildesheim had also donated this church as a burial church and designated the crypt as his burial place. The "Bernward's Crypt" was consecrated by him on Michaelmas Day, 29 September 1015. After his death in 1022, he was buried here. His sarcophagus is now empty, the relics rest in the Magdalenenkirche.
Hildesheim - St. Michaeliskirche
29 Jul 2022 |
|
|
Louis the Pious founded the bishopric of Hildesheim in 815. The settlement developed into a town and was granted market rights by King Otto III in 983. Craftsmen and merchants were attracted and the city developed into an important community. By 1167, Hildesheim was an almost completely walled market settlement.
At the beginning of the 13th century, Hildesheim had about 5,000 inhabitants, and when Hildesheim received its city charter in 1249, it was one of the largest cities in northern Germany. The clergy ruled Hildesheim for four centuries before a town hall was built and the citizens gained influence and independence. In 1367, Hildesheim became a member of the Hanseatic League. But what is now called Hildesheim was various small "suburbs". After centuries of (sometimes armed) disputes, it was not until the end of the 16th century that a union was created and subsequently at least the inner wall was taken down Old and New Town.
During the Thirty Years' War, Hildesheim was besieged and occupied several times. In 1813, after the Napoleonic Wars, the town became part of the Kingdom of Hanover, which was annexed by the Kingdom of Prussia as a province after the Austro-Prussian War in 1866.
The air raids on Hildesheim in 1944/45 destroyed large parts of the city. Of the 1500 half-timbered houses, only 200 remained. 90 percent of the historic old town was destroyed in the firestorm.
-
St. Michaeliskirche is an Ottonian, early Romanesque church. It was the abbey church of the Benedictine abbey until the Reformation. Today it is a shared church, the main church being Lutheran and the crypt being Roman Catholic.
Bishop Bernward of Hildesheim (996–1022) founded the monastery just a half kilometer north of the city walls. He set the first stone for the new church in 1010. Construction continued under Bishop Godehard, who completed the work in 1031 and reconsecrated the church. The church has double choirs east and west and six towers, two large ones over the crossings east and west, and four other tall and narrow ones attached to the small sides of the two transepts.
When the people of Hildesheim became Protestant in 1542, St. Michael's became Lutheran, but the Benedictine monastery operated here until it was secularized in 1803. Monks continued to use the church, especially its western choir and crypt, down to that moment.
St. Michael's Church was heavily damaged in an air raid during World War II on 22 March 1945, but reconstruction was begun in 1950 and completed in 1957. In 1985, the church became a UNESCO World Cultural Heritage site, along with the Cathedral of Hildesheim.
Bishop Bernward of Hildesheim had also donated this church as a burial church and designated the crypt as his burial place. The "Bernwardskrypta" was consecrated by him on Michaelmas Day, 29 September 1015.
Hildesheim - St. Michaeliskirche
29 Jul 2022 |
|
|
Louis the Pious founded the bishopric of Hildesheim in 815. The settlement developed into a town and was granted market rights by King Otto III in 983. Craftsmen and merchants were attracted and the city developed into an important community. By 1167, Hildesheim was an almost completely walled market settlement.
At the beginning of the 13th century, Hildesheim had about 5,000 inhabitants, and when Hildesheim received its city charter in 1249, it was one of the largest cities in northern Germany. The clergy ruled Hildesheim for four centuries before a town hall was built and the citizens gained influence and independence. In 1367, Hildesheim became a member of the Hanseatic League. But what is now called Hildesheim was various small "suburbs". After centuries of (sometimes armed) disputes, it was not until the end of the 16th century that a union was created and subsequently at least the inner wall was taken down Old and New Town.
During the Thirty Years' War, Hildesheim was besieged and occupied several times. In 1813, after the Napoleonic Wars, the town became part of the Kingdom of Hanover, which was annexed by the Kingdom of Prussia as a province after the Austro-Prussian War in 1866.
The air raids on Hildesheim in 1944/45 destroyed large parts of the city. Of the 1500 half-timbered houses, only 200 remained. 90 percent of the historic old town was destroyed in the firestorm.
-
St. Michaeliskirche is an Ottonian, early Romanesque church. It was the abbey church of the Benedictine abbey until the Reformation. Today it is a shared church, the main church being Lutheran and the crypt being Roman Catholic.
Bishop Bernward of Hildesheim (996–1022) founded the monastery just a half kilometer north of the city walls. He set the first stone for the new church in 1010. Construction continued under Bishop Godehard, who completed the work in 1031 and reconsecrated the church. The church has double choirs east and west and six towers, two large ones over the crossings east and west, and four other tall and narrow ones attached to the small sides of the two transepts.
When the people of Hildesheim became Protestant in 1542, St. Michael's became Lutheran, but the Benedictine monastery operated here until it was secularized in 1803. Monks continued to use the church, especially its western choir and crypt, down to that moment.
St. Michael's Church was heavily damaged in an air raid during World War II on 22 March 1945, but reconstruction was begun in 1950 and completed in 1957. In 1985, the church became a UNESCO World Cultural Heritage site, along with the Cathedral of Hildesheim.
On one of the sculpted capitals is the "Creation of Eve".
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "St. Michaeliskirche" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter