tarboat's photos with the keyword: fabrication

Sandycroft Foundry

25 Aug 2012 646
In 1837, John Taylor established a foundry in Rhydymwyn to provide mining equipment to the Mold mines. In 1862 the operations were transferred to an existing foundry at Sandycroft on the banks of the River Dee. The company specialised in making machinery for the mining industry. By 1877 the business was trading as the Sandycroft Foundry and Engine Works Company Ltd. The company was very busy supplying machinery to India, Brazil, Australia, New Zealand and numerous mines and collieries throughout Britain. By the 1920s, however, competition had increased significantly and in 1927 the works closed due to lack of orders. The site was by 1942 occupied by International Electroplate Co Ltd, and is now used for steel fabrication and general engineering. The rail connection was already disused by 1967 but even today there are rails to be seen in the floor of the main building. The front of the works suffered a fire some time ago and has been rebuilt. However, the rear section seen the background of this photo s the original erecting shop with the distinctive roof trusses that can be seen in many old photos of the works.