See also...
See more...Keywords
Authorizations, license
-
Visible by: Everyone -
All rights reserved
-
397 visits
Kirkham Priory Tour (8 x Pips)


The ruins of Kirkham Priory are situated on the banks of the River Derwent, at Kirkham, North Yorkshire, England. The Augustinian priory was founded in the 1120s by Walter l'Espec, lord of nearby Helmsley, who also built Rievaulx Abbey. The priory was surrendered in 8 December 1539 during the Dissolution of the Monasteries. Legend has it that Kirkham was founded in remembrance of l'Espec's only son who had died nearby as a consequence of his horse being startled by a boar.
Dormitory

This view of the dormitory showing a doorway and lamp niche on the upper part of the wall. Normally the canons' dormitory would have bee at first-floor level, with a staircase in the south transept for access to the church for night services. At Kirkham it was set at the level of the cloister, because of the fall of the ground to the south.
Cloister

The cloister is a rectangular court which formerly had a covered alley on each side, though all trace of these has now vanished.The alley roofs would probably have been supported on open arches, and may have been embellished with animal and figure sculptures as they were in other Augustinian priories.The central court or garth might have been laid out as a formal garden which may have had water running through open drain channels around the sides. When not attending services in the church, the canons spent most of their days in this court. they would have been provided with a series of carrels or desks at which thy might study or write.


The western end of the priory church and the vaulted entrance to the cloister with the remains of the chapel above.
Gatehouse
The great gatehouse formed the main entrance into the priory and was built in about 1320 to 1340 and rebuilt in the 13th century. It has a wide carriage arch, surmounted by a very decorative pointed gable around which is ranged a series of figures and shields bearing the arms of the noble patrons with which the priory was associated. Originally, the figures and the shields would have been painted.

The gatehouse viewed from the south.

The gatehouse arch viewed from the south.

The decorated exterior wall of the gatehouse viewed from the north.
Church Window

Remains of a tall (13th century) window at the east end of the Priory church.
Dormitory

This view of the dormitory showing a doorway and lamp niche on the upper part of the wall. Normally the canons' dormitory would have bee at first-floor level, with a staircase in the south transept for access to the church for night services. At Kirkham it was set at the level of the cloister, because of the fall of the ground to the south.
Cloister

The cloister is a rectangular court which formerly had a covered alley on each side, though all trace of these has now vanished.The alley roofs would probably have been supported on open arches, and may have been embellished with animal and figure sculptures as they were in other Augustinian priories.The central court or garth might have been laid out as a formal garden which may have had water running through open drain channels around the sides. When not attending services in the church, the canons spent most of their days in this court. they would have been provided with a series of carrels or desks at which thy might study or write.


The western end of the priory church and the vaulted entrance to the cloister with the remains of the chapel above.
Gatehouse
The great gatehouse formed the main entrance into the priory and was built in about 1320 to 1340 and rebuilt in the 13th century. It has a wide carriage arch, surmounted by a very decorative pointed gable around which is ranged a series of figures and shields bearing the arms of the noble patrons with which the priory was associated. Originally, the figures and the shields would have been painted.

The gatehouse viewed from the south.

The gatehouse arch viewed from the south.

The decorated exterior wall of the gatehouse viewed from the north.
Church Window

Remains of a tall (13th century) window at the east end of the Priory church.
Andy Rodker, Erhard Bernstein, Tanja - Loughcrew, trester88 and 23 other people have particularly liked this photo
- Keyboard shortcuts:
Jump to top
RSS feed- Latest comments - Subscribe to the comment feeds of this photo
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter
Doug Shepherd club has replied to Pat Del clubAll the beset, Doug
Doug Shepherd club has replied to ©UdoSm clubBest wishes, Doug
Doug Shepherd club has replied to Anton Cruz Carro clubBest wishes, Doug
Une série bien documentée.
Bon WE Doug.
Doug Shepherd club has replied to Jocelyne Villoing clubAll the best, Doug
Doug Shepherd club has replied to John CassBest regards, Doug
Doug Shepherd club has replied to "JohnNymer" clubBest wishes, Doug
An interesting and beautiful series.
Best regards, Rosa.
Doug Shepherd club has replied to Rosalyn HilborneBest wishes, Doug
Doug Shepherd club has replied to Jaap van 't Veen clubBest wishes, Doug
Doug Shepherd club has replied to Boarischa Krautmo clubBest wishes, Doug
Doug Shepherd club has replied to Pam J clubALL THE VERY BEST, DOUG
Doug Shepherd club has replied to Malik Raoulda clubBest wishes, Doug
Thank for the view and the well documented details !
Doug Shepherd club has replied to Nora Caracci clubAll the beset, Doug
Doug Shepherd club has replied to Roger (Grisly) clubAll the best, Doug
Doug Shepherd club has replied to trester88 clubBest wishes, Doug
I really enjoy it..all these details and especially the main photo!
Doug Shepherd club has replied to Tanja - Loughcrew clubAll the best, Doug
Doug Shepherd club has replied to Andy Rodker clubAll the best, Doug
Sign-in to write a comment.