Location
Lat, Lng: 55.506288, -2.573603
You can copy the above to your favourite mapping app.
Address: unknown
You can copy the above to your favourite mapping app.
Address: unknown
See also...
See more...Keywords
Authorizations, license
-
Visible by: Everyone -
All rights reserved
-
518 visits
Leaderfoot Viaduct in Autumn - River Tweed - Scottish Boarders


Perhaps better enlarged
The Leaderfoot Viaduct, also known as the Drygrange Viaduct, is a railway viaduct over the River Tweed near Melrose in the Scottish Borders.
The viaduct was opened on 16 November 1863 to carry the Berwickshire Railway, which connected Reston with St Boswells, via Duns and Greenlaw.
The railway was severely damaged by flooding during August 1948, with 7 bridges on the line failing, and the line closed to passenger traffic on 13 August 1948. Freight trains continued to run across the viaduct as far as Greenlaw until 19 July 1965.
In 1981, the poor condition of the viaduct meant that it was due to be demolished. It was upgraded from Category B to A listing in 1986. Historic Scotland took over control of the viaduct from British Rail in 1996.
The viaduct stands 126 feet (38 m) from the floor of the river valley. The arches, each of 43 feet (13 m) span, are of brickwork, and the abutments, piers and walls are of rustic-faced red sandstone. Some later strengthening of the abutments and piers with old rails and buttresses on the southern valley side is very obvious. It is straight over its whole course, and runs in a broadly northerly direction.
It is near to the Roman settlement of Trimontium, which is to the south-west of the viaduct To the east of the viaduct are the Drygrange Old Bridge, a road bridge dating from 1776, (from where this picture was taken) and its modern successor. This group of three bridges is sometimes known as Tripontium. To the east of the viaduct the River Leader flows into the Tweed from the north.
The Leaderfoot Viaduct, also known as the Drygrange Viaduct, is a railway viaduct over the River Tweed near Melrose in the Scottish Borders.
The viaduct was opened on 16 November 1863 to carry the Berwickshire Railway, which connected Reston with St Boswells, via Duns and Greenlaw.
The railway was severely damaged by flooding during August 1948, with 7 bridges on the line failing, and the line closed to passenger traffic on 13 August 1948. Freight trains continued to run across the viaduct as far as Greenlaw until 19 July 1965.
In 1981, the poor condition of the viaduct meant that it was due to be demolished. It was upgraded from Category B to A listing in 1986. Historic Scotland took over control of the viaduct from British Rail in 1996.
The viaduct stands 126 feet (38 m) from the floor of the river valley. The arches, each of 43 feet (13 m) span, are of brickwork, and the abutments, piers and walls are of rustic-faced red sandstone. Some later strengthening of the abutments and piers with old rails and buttresses on the southern valley side is very obvious. It is straight over its whole course, and runs in a broadly northerly direction.
It is near to the Roman settlement of Trimontium, which is to the south-west of the viaduct To the east of the viaduct are the Drygrange Old Bridge, a road bridge dating from 1776, (from where this picture was taken) and its modern successor. This group of three bridges is sometimes known as Tripontium. To the east of the viaduct the River Leader flows into the Tweed from the north.
Gabriella Siglinde, Jörg, , Lars Sözüer and 28 other people have particularly liked this photo
- Keyboard shortcuts:
Jump to top
RSS feed- Latest comments - Subscribe to the comment feeds of this photo
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter
Doug Shepherd club has replied to Boarischa Krautmo clubBest wishes, Doug
Doug Shepherd club has replied to Karp PantaBest regards, Doug
good job here. Sarah
Doug Shepherd club has replied to Sarah O' clubBest regards, Doug
Doug Shepherd club has replied to Cheryl Kelly (cher12…Best regards, Doug
And enlarged it is more and more striking!
Very very interesting information, too.
Have a very nice weekend.
Doug Shepherd club has replied to Beatrice Degan(MARS)Have a good Sunday
Best wishes, Rosa.
Doug Shepherd club has replied to Rosalyn HilborneBest regards, Doug
Doug Shepherd club has replied to Jaap van 't Veen clubBest regards, Doug
Doug Shepherd club has replied to Marie-claire GalletHave a great Sunday
Bonne fin de semaine.
A good weekend for you also
Best wishes,
Andy
Doug Shepherd club has replied to Andy Rodker clubBest wishes, Doug
Doug Shepherd club has replied to RabbitroundtheworldBest regards, Doug
Have a good week, Doug
Sign-in to write a comment.