
Castilla y León
Soria
|
|
|
Soria is located on the Douro River at about 1065 meters above sea level.
A strategic enclave due to the struggles for territory between the kingdoms of Castile, Navarre, and Aragon, Soria became part of Castile definitively in 1134, during the reign of Alfonso VII. Alfonso VIII was born in Soria in 1155. Booming during the Late Middle Ages thanks to its border location and its control over the cattle industry. In 1380, a court order forbade the Jews to try their own criminal cases in court. In addition, a decree was confirmed, according to which Jews were not allowed to be employed in the royal administration or among the nobility. These resolutions served as the basis for hate speeches that led to the massacre of the Jewish population in 1391.
Soria went into a slow decline over the next few centuries. It was damaged greatly during the Peninsular War.
This house shows an interesting architectural mixture of Moorish style and Art Nouveau
Soria - Monasterio de San Juan de Duero
|
|
Soria is located on the Douro River at about 1065 meters above sea level.
A strategic enclave due to the struggles for territory between the kingdoms of Castile, Navarre, and Aragon, Soria became part of Castile definitively in 1134, during the reign of Alfonso VII. Alfonso VIII was born in Soria in 1155. Booming during the Late Middle Ages thanks to its border location and its control over the cattle industry. In 1380, a court order forbade the Jews to try their own criminal cases in court. In addition, a decree was confirmed, according to which Jews were not allowed to be employed in the royal administration or among the nobility. These resolutions served as the basis for hate speeches that led to the massacre of the Jewish population in 1391. Soria went into a slow decline over the next few centuries. It was damaged greatly during the Peninsular War.
The Knights Hospitaller settled in Soria in the 12th century. A document shows that in 1152 the Order had a church dedicated to the Holy Sepulchre, near the bridge over the Duero, the main entrance to the city from the east. A document from 1190 shows that the Hospitallers maintained a hospital here.
Only the church was used until the end of the 18th century. The church was left to decay in the 19th century and was used as a cattle shed. Although the surviving buildings were among the first to be declared a Monumento Nacional in the province in 1882, they were left to decay. Only the roof of the church was repaired. Since 1992 the monastery has been part of the medieval section of the Museo Numantino in Soria.
Soria - Monasterio de San Juan de Duero
|
|
|
Soria is located on the Douro River at about 1065 meters above sea level.
A strategic enclave due to the struggles for territory between the kingdoms of Castile, Navarre, and Aragon, Soria became part of Castile definitively in 1134, during the reign of Alfonso VII. Alfonso VIII was born in Soria in 1155. Booming during the Late Middle Ages thanks to its border location and its control over the cattle industry. In 1380, a court order forbade the Jews to try their own criminal cases in court. In addition, a decree was confirmed, according to which Jews were not allowed to be employed in the royal administration or among the nobility. These resolutions served as the basis for hate speeches that led to the massacre of the Jewish population in 1391. Soria went into a slow decline over the next few centuries. It was damaged greatly during the Peninsular War.
The Knights Hospitaller settled in Soria in the 12th century. A document shows that in 1152 the Order had a church dedicated to the Holy Sepulchre, near the bridge over the Duero, the main entrance to the city from the east. A document from 1190 shows that the Hospitallers maintained a hospital here.
Only the church was used until the end of the 18th century. The church was left to decay in the 19th century and was used as a cattle shed. Although the surviving buildings were among the first to be declared a Monumento Nacional in the province in 1882, they were left to decay. Only the roof of the church was repaired. Since 1992 the monastery has been part of the medieval section of the Museo Numantino in Soria.
Soria - Monasterio de San Juan de Duero
|
|
Soria is located on the Douro River at about 1065 meters above sea level.
A strategic enclave due to the struggles for territory between the kingdoms of Castile, Navarre, and Aragon, Soria became part of Castile definitively in 1134, during the reign of Alfonso VII. Alfonso VIII was born in Soria in 1155. Booming during the Late Middle Ages thanks to its border location and its control over the cattle industry. In 1380, a court order forbade the Jews to try their own criminal cases in court. In addition, a decree was confirmed, according to which Jews were not allowed to be employed in the royal administration or among the nobility. These resolutions served as the basis for hate speeches that led to the massacre of the Jewish population in 1391. Soria went into a slow decline over the next few centuries. It was damaged greatly during the Peninsular War.
The Knights Hospitaller settled in Soria in the 12th century. A document shows that in 1152 the Order had a church dedicated to the Holy Sepulchre, near the bridge over the Duero, the main entrance to the city from the east. A document from 1190 shows that the Hospitallers maintained a hospital here.
Only the church was used until the end of the 18th century. The church was left to decay in the 19th century and was used as a cattle shed. Although the surviving buildings were among the first to be declared a Monumento Nacional in the province in 1882, they were left to decay. Only the roof of the church was repaired. Since 1992 the monastery has been part of the medieval section of the Museo Numantino in Soria.
The marks of weather and neglect
Soria - Monasterio de San Juan de Duero
|
|
|
Soria is located on the Douro River at about 1065 meters above sea level.
A strategic enclave due to the struggles for territory between the kingdoms of Castile, Navarre, and Aragon, Soria became part of Castile definitively in 1134, during the reign of Alfonso VII. Alfonso VIII was born in Soria in 1155. Booming during the Late Middle Ages thanks to its border location and its control over the cattle industry. In 1380, a court order forbade the Jews to try their own criminal cases in court. In addition, a decree was confirmed, according to which Jews were not allowed to be employed in the royal administration or among the nobility. These resolutions served as the basis for hate speeches that led to the massacre of the Jewish population in 1391. Soria went into a slow decline over the next few centuries. It was damaged greatly during the Peninsular War.
The Knights Hospitaller settled in Soria in the 12th century. A document shows that in 1152 the Order had a church dedicated to the Holy Sepulchre, near the bridge over the Duero, the main entrance to the city from the east. A document from 1190 shows that the Hospitallers maintained a hospital here.
Only the church was used until the end of the 18th century. The church was left to decay in the 19th century and was used as a cattle shed. Although the surviving buildings were among the first to be declared a Monumento Nacional in the province in 1882, they were left to decay. Only the roof of the church was repaired. Since 1992 the monastery has been part of the medieval section of the Museo Numantino in Soria.
Inside are some very well carved capitals
Soria - Monasterio de San Juan de Duero
|
|
Soria is located on the Douro River at about 1065 meters above sea level.
A strategic enclave due to the struggles for territory between the kingdoms of Castile, Navarre, and Aragon, Soria became part of Castile definitively in 1134, during the reign of Alfonso VII. Alfonso VIII was born in Soria in 1155. Booming during the Late Middle Ages thanks to its border location and its control over the cattle industry. In 1380, a court order forbade the Jews to try their own criminal cases in court. In addition, a decree was confirmed, according to which Jews were not allowed to be employed in the royal administration or among the nobility. These resolutions served as the basis for hate speeches that led to the massacre of the Jewish population in 1391. Soria went into a slow decline over the next few centuries. It was damaged greatly during the Peninsular War.
The Knights Hospitaller settled in Soria in the 12th century. A document shows that in 1152 the Order had a church dedicated to the Holy Sepulchre, near the bridge over the Duero, the main entrance to the city from the east. A document from 1190 shows that the Hospitallers maintained a hospital here.
Only the church was used until the end of the 18th century. The church was left to decay in the 19th century and was used as a cattle shed. Although the surviving buildings were among the first to be declared a Monumento Nacional in the province in 1882, they were left to decay. Only the roof of the church was repaired. Since 1992 the monastery has been part of the medieval section of the Museo Numantino in Soria.
Possibly the death of John the Baptist is depicted. On the right, a soldier in chain mail shows the severed head.
Soria - Monasterio de San Juan de Duero
|
|
Soria is located on the Douro River at about 1065 meters above sea level.
A strategic enclave due to the struggles for territory between the kingdoms of Castile, Navarre, and Aragon, Soria became part of Castile definitively in 1134, during the reign of Alfonso VII. Alfonso VIII was born in Soria in 1155. Booming during the Late Middle Ages thanks to its border location and its control over the cattle industry. In 1380, a court order forbade the Jews to try their own criminal cases in court. In addition, a decree was confirmed, according to which Jews were not allowed to be employed in the royal administration or among the nobility. These resolutions served as the basis for hate speeches that led to the massacre of the Jewish population in 1391. Soria went into a slow decline over the next few centuries. It was damaged greatly during the Peninsular War.
The Knights Hospitaller settled in Soria in the 12th century. A document shows that in 1152 the Order had a church dedicated to the Holy Sepulchre, near the bridge over the Duero, the main entrance to the city from the east. A document from 1190 shows that the Hospitallers maintained a hospital here.
Only the church was used until the end of the 18th century. The church was left to decay in the 19th century and was used as a cattle shed. Although the surviving buildings were among the first to be declared a Monumento Nacional in the province in 1882, they were left to decay. Only the roof of the church was repaired. Since 1992 the monastery has been part of the medieval section of the Museo Numantino in Soria.
A centaur attacks a hydra
Soria - Monasterio de San Juan de Duero
|
|
|
Soria is located on the Douro River at about 1065 meters above sea level.
A strategic enclave due to the struggles for territory between the kingdoms of Castile, Navarre, and Aragon, Soria became part of Castile definitively in 1134, during the reign of Alfonso VII. Alfonso VIII was born in Soria in 1155. Booming during the Late Middle Ages thanks to its border location and its control over the cattle industry. In 1380, a court order forbade the Jews to try their own criminal cases in court. In addition, a decree was confirmed, according to which Jews were not allowed to be employed in the royal administration or among the nobility. These resolutions served as the basis for hate speeches that led to the massacre of the Jewish population in 1391. Soria went into a slow decline over the next few centuries. It was damaged greatly during the Peninsular War.
The Knights Hospitaller settled in Soria in the 12th century. A document shows that in 1152 the Order had a church dedicated to the Holy Sepulchre, near the bridge over the Duero, the main entrance to the city from the east. A document from 1190 shows that the Hospitallers maintained a hospital here.
Only the church was used until the end of the 18th century. The church was left to decay in the 19th century and was used as a cattle shed. Although the surviving buildings were among the first to be declared a Monumento Nacional in the province in 1882, they were left to decay. Only the roof of the church was repaired. Since 1992 the monastery has been part of the medieval section of the Museo Numantino in Soria.
This side of the capital shows that the Hydra (left) is also fought by knights.
Tubilla del Agua - Santa Maria
|
|
Some parts of "Santa Maria", right in the center of Tubilla del Agua, are Romanesque. Unfortunately, the church was locked. Just like the neighbouring cafe.
Tubilla del Agua - Santa Maria
|
|
Some parts of "Santa Maria", right in the center of Tubilla del Agua, are Romanesque. A discodial tomb-stele is placed next to the corner. These steles can often be found on the graveyards of the Basque Country on both sides of the Pyrenees.
Burgos - Cathedral
|
|
The construction of the cathedral was ordered by King Ferdinand III of Castile and Mauricio, the Bishop of Burgos. Ferdinand had just married Barbarossa´s granddaughter Beatrice of Swabia (aka "Elisabeth of Swabia") and wanted a cathedral, reflecting his new role in the European power game.
The former Romanesque cathedral got demolished and on July 20, 1221, the construction of the new Gothic started under the guidance of an unknown French architect. After nine years, the chevet was completed and the high altar was consecrated. Then the construction stopped for about 200 years.
Attending the Council of Basel (aka "Council of Florence") in 1435 bishop (and diplomat) Alfonso de Cartagena saw the just completed, elegant towers of the Basel Minster. When he returned to Burgos he was accompanied by German architect Johannes von Köln (aka "Juan de Colonia"), who probably knew the blueprints of the towers, planned for the Cathedral of Cologne. Under his guidance the towers of the
Cathedral were completed in open tracery. He was followed on the construction site by his son Simon de Colonia.
The crossing tower collapsed in 1539, but got rebuilt, so that in 1567 the Cathedral was finally completed.
The two identical towers of the western facade, seen here, are 88 m high.
Burgos - Cathedral
|
|
|
The construction of the cathedral was ordered by King Ferdinand III of Castile and Mauricio, the Bishop of Burgos. Ferdinand had just married Barbarossa´s granddaughter Beatrice of Swabia (aka "Elisabeth of Swabia") and wanted a cathedral, reflecting his new role in the European power game.
The former Romanesque cathedral got demolished and on July 20, 1221, the construction of the new Gothic started under the guidance of an unknown French architect. After nine years, the chevet was completed and the high altar was consecrated. Then the construction stopped for about 200 years.
Attending the Council of Basel (aka "Council of Florence") in 1435 bishop (and diplomat) Alfonso de Cartagena saw the just completed, elegant towers of the Basel Minster. When he returned to Burgos he was accompanied by German architect Johannes von Köln (aka "Juan de Colonia"), who probably knew the blueprints of the towers, planned for the Cathedral of Cologne. Under his guidance the towers of the
Cathedral were completed in open tracery. He was followed on the construction site by his son Simon de Colonia.
The crossing tower collapsed in 1539, but got rebuilt, so that in 1567 the Cathedral was finally completed.
The Cathedral seen from east. In the center the crossing tower.
www.catedraldeburgos.es/
Burgos - Cathedral
|
|
The construction of the cathedral was ordered by King Ferdinand III of Castile and Mauricio, the Bishop of Burgos. Ferdinand had just married Barbarossa´s granddaughter Beatrice of Swabia (aka "Elisabeth of Swabia") and wanted a cathedral, reflecting his new role in the European power game.
The former Romanesque cathedral got demolished and on July 20, 1221, the construction of the new Gothic started under the guidance of an unknown French architect. After nine years, the chevet was completed and the high altar was consecrated. Then the construction stopped for about 200 years.
Attending the Council of Basel (aka "Council of Florence") in 1435 bishop (and diplomat) Alfonso de Cartagena saw the just completed, elegant towers of the Basel Minster. When he returned to Burgos he was accompanied by German architect Johannes von Köln (aka "Juan de Colonia"), who probably knew the blueprints of the towers, planned for the Cathedral of Cologne. Under his guidance the towers of the
Cathedral were completed in open tracery. He was followed on the construction site by his son Simon de Colonia.
The crossing tower collapsed in 1539, but got rebuilt, so that in 1567 the Cathedral was finally completed.
Seen here is the north transept portal, known as "Portada de la Coroneria", erected around 1240 and permanently locked since 1830. Over the centuries residents had entered the cathedral here and by using the opposite portal as an exit, had a nice short cut to the market.
Flanking the doors are the 12 apostles. The Last Judgement is on the tympanum above. Christ seated on a throne between the Virgin and John the Evangelist, angels display the Instruments of the Passion (aka "Arma Christi").
Below is a psychostasia. Archangel Michael weighs the souls. Following the information given here Ferdinand III and Beatriz can be found on the left, on their way to Paradise. The road to hell (paved with good intentions) runs to the right.
www.catedraldeburgos.es/
Burgos - Cathedral
|
|
|
The construction of the cathedral was ordered by King Ferdinand III of Castile and Mauricio, the Bishop of Burgos. Ferdinand had just married Barbarossa´s granddaughter Beatrice of Swabia (aka "Elisabeth of Swabia") and wanted a cathedral, reflecting his new role in the European power game.
The former Romanesque cathedral got demolished and on July 20, 1221, the construction of the new Gothic started under the guidance of an unknown French architect. After nine years, the chevet was completed and the high altar was consecrated. Then the construction stopped for about 200 years.
Attending the Council of Basel (aka "Council of Florence") in 1435 bishop (and diplomat) Alfonso de Cartagena saw the just completed, elegant towers of the Basel Minster. When he returned to Burgos he was accompanied by German architect Johannes von Köln (aka "Juan de Colonia"), who probably knew the blueprints of the towers, planned for the Cathedral of Cologne. Under his guidance the towers of the
Cathedral were completed in open tracery. He was followed on the construction site by his son Simon de Colonia.
The crossing tower collapsed in 1539, but got rebuilt, so that in 1567 the Cathedral was finally completed.
The north transept portal, known as "Portada de la Coroneria", erected around 1240, is permanently locked since 1830. Over the centuries residents had entered the cathedral here and by using the opposite portal as an exit, had a nice short cut to the market.
In the center of the tympanum is the Last Judgement (see previous upload).
Here is a detail of the psychostasia. On the left stands Archangel Michael weighing the souls. To the right runs the road to hell, where devils are at work. A miser still has a large money bag around his neck.
www.catedraldeburgos.es/
Burgos - Cathedral
|
|
|
The construction of the cathedral was ordered by King Ferdinand III of Castile and Mauricio, the Bishop of Burgos. Ferdinand had just married Barbarossa´s granddaughter Beatrice of Swabia (aka "Elisabeth of Swabia") and wanted a cathedral, reflecting his new role in the European power game.
The former Romanesque cathedral got demolished and on July 20, 1221, the construction of the new Gothic started under the guidance of an unknown French architect. After nine years, the chevet was completed and the high altar was consecrated. Then the construction stopped for about 200 years.
Attending the Council of Basel (aka "Council of Florence") in 1435 bishop (and diplomat) Alfonso de Cartagena saw the just completed, elegant towers of the Basel Minster. When he returned to Burgos he was accompanied by German architect Johannes von Köln (aka "Juan de Colonia"), who probably knew the blueprints of the towers, planned for the Cathedral of Cologne. Under his guidance the towers of the
Cathedral were completed in open tracery. He was followed on the construction site by his son Simon de Colonia.
The crossing tower collapsed in 1539, but got rebuilt, so that in 1567 the Cathedral was finally completed.
The north transept portal, known as "Portada de la Coroneria", erected around 1240, is permanently locked since 1830. Over the centuries residents had entered the cathedral here and by using the opposite portal as an exit, had a nice short cut to the market.
In the center of the tympanum is the Last Judgement (see previous upload).
The way to hell (previous upload) leads to hell.
A glimpse into the center of hell, where devils are busy to torture thé poor souls. I have the impression that the person on the very right is at stool, producing coins.
I am not really sure about the coins actually. It remembers me on a fairy tale by the German Grimm Brothers "The Wishing-Table, the Gold-Ass, and the Cudgel in the Sack".
Burgos - Cathedral
|
|
The construction of the cathedral was ordered by King Ferdinand III of Castile and Mauricio, the Bishop of Burgos. Ferdinand had just married Barbarossa´s granddaughter Beatrice of Swabia (aka "Elisabeth of Swabia") and wanted a cathedral, reflecting his new role in the European power game.
The former Romanesque cathedral got demolished and on July 20, 1221, the construction of the new Gothic started under the guidance of an unknown French architect. After nine years, the chevet was completed and the high altar was consecrated. Then the construction stopped for about 200 years.
Attending the Council of Basel (aka "Council of Florence") in 1435 bishop (and diplomat) Alfonso de Cartagena saw the just completed, elegant towers of the Basel Minster. When he returned to Burgos he was accompanied by German architect Johannes von Köln (aka "Juan de Colonia"), who probably knew the blueprints of the towers, planned for the Cathedral of Cologne. Under his guidance the towers of the
Cathedral were completed in open tracery. He was followed on the construction site by his son Simon de Colonia.
The crossing tower collapsed in 1539, but got rebuilt, so that in 1567 the Cathedral was finally completed.
The north transept portal, known as "Portada de la Coroneria", erected around 1240, is permanently locked since 1830. Over the centuries residents had entered the cathedral here and by using the opposite portal as an exit, had a nice short cut to the market.
Hidden near the "Portada de la Coroneria" are a monkey and a little dog.
www.catedraldeburgos.es/
Burgos - Cathedral
|
|
|
|
The construction of the cathedral was ordered by King Ferdinand III of Castile and Mauricio, the Bishop of Burgos. Ferdinand had just married Barbarossa´s granddaughter Beatrice of Swabia (aka "Elisabeth of Swabia") and wanted a cathedral, reflecting his new role in the European power game.
The former Romanesque cathedral got demolished and on July 20, 1221, the construction of the new Gothic started under the guidance of an unknown French architect. After nine years, the chevet was completed and the high altar was consecrated. Then the construction stopped for about 200 years.
Attending the Council of Basel (aka "Council of Florence") in 1435 bishop (and diplomat) Alfonso de Cartagena saw the just completed, elegant towers of the Basel Minster. When he returned to Burgos he was accompanied by German architect Johannes von Köln (aka "Juan de Colonia"), who probably knew the blueprints of the towers, planned for the Cathedral of Cologne. Under his guidance the towers of the
Cathedral were completed in open tracery. He was followed on the construction site by his son Simon de Colonia.
The "Puerta del Sarmental"
This portal is the south transept portal, named after an important family in Burgos. It is about a decade older than the "Portada de la Coroneria" (previous uploads).
Burgos - Cathedral
|
|
|
The construction of the cathedral was ordered by King Ferdinand III of Castile and Mauricio, the Bishop of Burgos. Ferdinand had just married Barbarossa´s granddaughter Beatrice of Swabia (aka "Elisabeth of Swabia") and wanted a cathedral, reflecting his new role in the European power game.
The former Romanesque cathedral got demolished and on July 20, 1221, the construction of the new Gothic started under the guidance of an unknown French architect. After nine years, the chevet was completed and the high altar was consecrated. Then the construction stopped for about 200 years.
Attending the Council of Basel (aka "Council of Florence") in 1435 bishop (and diplomat) Alfonso de Cartagena saw the just completed, elegant towers of the Basel Minster. When he returned to Burgos he was accompanied by German architect Johannes von Köln (aka "Juan de Colonia"), who probably knew the blueprints of the towers, planned for the Cathedral of Cologne. Under his guidance the towers of the
Cathedral were completed in open tracery. He was followed on the construction site by his son Simon de Colonia.
The "Puerta del Sarmental"
This portal is the south transept portal, named after an important family in Burgos. It is about a decade older than the "Portada de la Coroneria".
Here is the tympanum of the portal. In the center Christ, seated on a throne, holding the Bible. Around Christ are the symbols of the Evangelists, they can actually be seen sitting on writing desks and working.
Below are the 12 Apostles, all holding a bible.
Angels (holding candles?) populate the inner archivolt, musicians the outer ones. The (24) Elders of the Apocalypse? Here are 29 crowned musicians. They play a variety of interesting instruments. The very left musician of the middle archivolt plays an organistrum. The seventh musician (from left) on the outer archivolt plays a small portative organ. A child operates the bellows.
Jump to top
RSS feed- Latest items - Subscribe to the latest items added to this album
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter