Jaap van 't Veen's photos

Nederland - Weesp, Fort Uitermeer

25 Apr 2022 62 53 537
Fort Uitermeer - located on the banks of the river Vecht - is dating back to 1873. The restored tower fort, as well as the historic sluice and part of the old canal were partly brought back to their former glory. Fort Uitermeer’s function was to defend the 's-Gravelandsche Vaart, the road running alongside this canal and the railway line Amsterdam-Hilversum. At the location of the fort the 's-Gravelandse Vaart flows into the river Vecht via a sluice. As early as the 16th century, this sluice was defended by a “sconce (small protective fortification made of earth). In 1672 (known as the ‘disaster year’ in Dutch history) the “sconce” was reinforced and a year later it was replaced by a permanent fort, which was constructed around the sluice. In 1815 the fort became part of the Nieuwe Hollandse Waterlinie (New Dutch Waterline). During World War II Fort Uitermeer was bombed heaviley, causing severe damage. During the Cold War, ammunition depots were put up on the grounds of the fort. In 1959 the fortress lost its function as a defensive structure. The remains of the Fort Uitermeer (not accessible to the public) are an important part of Dutch history. The ruin of the tower is rare because only 10 bombproof towers remain in the Netherlands. As part of the Nieuwe Hollandse Waterlinie , Fort Uitermeer is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Nederland - Anna Paulowna, Poldertuin

10 May 2022 47 43 594
The garden around de Polderhuis is still owned by the municipality of Hollands Kroon, but since 2014 it is managed by a foundation. Since the year of 1982 the garden is yearly trnsformed into a feast for the eyes. In autumn volunteers plant thousands and thousands flower bulbs, which are blooming between early April and mid May. The Poldertuin offers a large variety of springtime flowers like tulips (220 species), daffodils (125 speciees), hyacinths (almost 30 species) and 35 special bulbs and tubers. The garden is also called ‘Little Keukenhof’, although the comparison is not appropriate. Keukenhof is no less than 25 times bigger and just open for eight weeks a year. Poldertuin, is open all year, can be visited free of charge and is a real hidden gem and not very known to tourists.

Nederland - Anna Paulowna, Poldertuin

10 May 2022 48 38 591
After the construction of the Anna Paulownapolder an office of the water board was built. This stately home is locally known as Polderhuis . In 1885 the Poldertuin (Polder Garden) around the house was designed by landscape architect Jan David Zocher jr., who also designed the well known Vondelpark in Amsterdam and the garden of Soestdijk Palace. His gardens are characterized by winding paths and water features with bridges. Polderhuis (nowadays privately owned) and Poldertuin were sold to the municipality. The garden is still owned by the municipality of Hollands Kroon, but since 2014 it is managed by a foundation. In autumn volunteers plant thousands and thousands flower bulbs, which are blooming between early April and mid May. The flower bulbs are donated by about hundred flower bulb growers in the region. The Poldertuin with its large variety of springtime flowers like tulips, daffodils, hyacinths and special bulbs and tubers is also called ‘Little Keukenhof’ and can be visited free of charge. The garden is a real hidden gem and not very known to tourists.

Nederland - Anna Paulowna, Polderhuis

19 Apr 2016 61 60 683
The Anna Paulownapolder - 5.000 ha - was drained in 1846. Nowadays it is an important horticulture area, with among other things an important flower bulb cultivation. The polder is named after the wife of Dutch king Willem II, Anna Paulowna Romanova of Russia. The new polder became part of the municipality of Zijpe. On August 1, 1870, the polder became its own municipality, Anna Paulowna (since 2012 part of the municipality Hollands Kroon). One of the original houses in the village - a plastered neo-classical mansion dating from 1855 - was extended in 1870 when it became the office of the polder administration. The Polderhuis was given a meeting room and an office. When the water board disappeared, the Polderhuis and Poldertuin were sold to the municipality. The garden is still owned by the municipality. The Polderhuis is prvately owned and inhabited.

Nederland - Limmen, Protestantse kerk

26 Apr 2022 56 43 492
The oldest mention of the reformed church in Limmen dates from the year 740, when the dilapidated church was renewed. Around 800 there is talk of - presumably - a wooden church in Limbon, which was owned by the St. Maartenskerk in Utrecht. In the 13th century a tower was built, separate from the existing tuff hall church. A century later, a large brick church with a choir was added and the tower was then built in. The whole building was twice as big as can be seen today. In 1598 the church was restored from the destruction by the Spanish troops during the siege of the city of Alkmaar and became its present form. The last ruins were cleared in 1806, but are still partly visible. The church with its tower - which has a bell dating from 1650 - is a national monument. The last restoration was carried out in the years 2000/2001. The church is located next to the Hortus Bulborum

Nederland - Limmen, Hortus Bulborum

26 Apr 2022 72 62 675
The Hortus Bulborum is the only museum garden in the world where you can find about 4.500 different tulip, hyacinth, daffodil and other bulbous cultivars, species and varieties in bloom. Every spring the garden transforms into a treasure trove full of dazzling colours, beautiful shapes and overwhelming fragrances. Hortus Bulborum offers about 2.650 varieties and species of historical tulips; among them the famous Duc van Tol Red and Yellow ; the oldest known cultivar from 1595. This tulip laid the foundation of commercial bulb growing in the Netherlands. Apart from tulips over 1.100 different varieties and species of daffodils can be admired, as well as more than 100 varieties of both crocuses and hyacinths and 15 of the Fritillaries imperalis. The aim of Hortus Bulborum is to maintain these cultivars and safeguard them for the future generations.

Nederland - ‘t Zand, De Hoop

28 Apr 2022 92 76 809
Flour mill De Hoop was built in 1782, when it was used as a saw mill - named De Haan - in the city of Leiden. In 1865 the mill was moved to the village ‘t Zand in North Holland, where it served as a flour mill until the 1920s. In 1940, the mill was increasingly dismantled; only the octagonal thatched body was preserved in reasonable condition. At the beginning of this century, the idea arose to restore the mill to its former glory. This was no longer possible in its old location and so the mill was moved about 400 meters to its current location in 2011. From May 2013 the mill can be visited again and every now and then wheat is grounded. In and around De Hoop is a small museum (limited opening hours) about its history. The grounds are also used for a campground for campers

Nederland - Kop van Noord-Holland, bollenvelden

28 Apr 2022 75 65 667
The so called Kop van Noord-Holland is the northern part of the province of North Holland. This area is the largest continuous bulb area in the world. The soil - mostly sand - is extremely suitable for growing bulbs. Bulbs grow well because the winters are relatively warm and the spring is cool. Because of this favourable climate, diseases are less common. The Kop van Noord-Holland is the largest bulb area in the Netherlands. Colourful blooming bulb fields reach as far as the eye can see. From mid-March to mid-May the region turns into one big sea of flowers. It starts with the crocus season, then daffodils and hyacinths appear and finally the tulips show their striking colours from mid-April until the beginning of May. The Kop van Noord-Holland is our favourit region in the Netherlands for visiting flowering bulb fields. Perhaps less known than the area around the famous Keukenhof , but definitely more attractive to us. In addition to these endless bulb fields, the region features a couple of very interesting sights: Hortus Bulborum in Limmen with hundreds of different species of blooming bulbs and the Poldertuin in Anna Paulowna, a public park with more than 200.000 bulbs.

Nederland - bloembollenland

26 Apr 2022 67 50 599
Today the Netherlands produces billions of flower bulbs each year (of which two thirds are exported worldwide).The business of growing flower bulbs began almost 400 years ago, and The first Dutch flower bulbs grew in Leiden, in the botanical garden of the university. They were planted there by Carolus Clusius, a scientist who wrote the first major book on tulips in 1592. Leiden was the first bulb region of the Netherlands, but initially the tulips did not leave Clusius's botanical garden. Only after a theft cultivation could spread. Once, the value of tulips was enormous. They were imported to the Netherlands from Turkey in the mid-16th century and gradually seized the passions of rich Dutchmen. In the Dutch Golden Age tulips became popular in paintings and festivals; tulip collecting amongst the elites became a popular pastime. In the mid-17th century, tulips were so popular that they created the first economic bubble, known as "Tulip Mania" (tulipomania). As people bought up bulbs, they became so expensive that they were used as money until the market in them crashed. But the Netherlands is still the centre for the trade of flowers and bulbs.

Nederland - Egmond aan den Hoef, Slotkapel

26 Apr 2022 62 54 606
The first Slotkapel (Castle Chapel) - dedicated to Saint Catherine, the patron of the nobility, was built in 1229, commissioned by Willem I van Egmont. It was located next to the castle of Egmond. In 1430 Count Jan van Egmond ordered the demolition and rebuilding of the chapel in its current simple Gothic style as a one-aisled church. The chapel and castle were destroyed in 1573 in the Eighty Years War, during the siege of the city of Alkmaar. In 1633 the chapel was restored by the States of Holland and West Frisia. Various cities, aristocrats and companies from that time made donations for the restoration, including the fantastic stained-glass windows. The unique clock in the centuries-old tower was made in 1682 by Christiaan Huygens. In 1960 the Slotkapel was in a very poor condition and the municipality intended the demolition of the church. Due to the efforts of a group of citizens the chapel was restored and does still exist. Nowadays it serves as a venue for weddings, exhibitions and concerts.

Nederland - Leeuwarden, Grote of Jacobijnerkerk

08 Sep 2020 52 39 495
The Grote of Jacobijnerkerk was originally a chapel of the Dominican or Jacobin monks; a monastery which was founded in 1245. The church itself was built between 1275 and 1310 and therefore it is the oldest building in Leeuwarden. In 1392 the building was badly damaged by a fire, but two years later restored. Early 16th century an aisle was added and later the church was extended with a bay. The gothic building was converted into a protestant church during the reformation and lost her altars and many of the decorations. The church is still used by the protestant community of Leeuwarden for their services The Grote of Jacobijnerkerk is one of the three churches in the Netherlands with a royal crypt. Between 1588 and 1765 sixteen members of the Frisian branch of the Nassau family - the ancestors of the current Dutch royal family - were entombed in this church: six stadtholders of Friesland, their spouses and children. Main image: Oranjepoortje (Orange gate) In 1663 a portal in classical style was added to the choir, especially for members of the Nassau family. The current Oranjepoortje still consists of an outer and inner gate, of which only the former has doors. The triangular pediment was given a new Orange Tree in 1948.

Nederland - Vorden, De Wildenborch, sneeuwklokjes-…

28 Feb 2021 59 46 510
De Wildenborch is one of the eight castles in and around the village of Vorden. The country estate consists of a castle with a round tower and side wings, a building house with a coach house attached to it and 38 ha. partly landscaped garden and partly park forest. The gardens of ‘De Wildenborch’ - considered being one of the most beautiful in the Netherlands - are open for public a couple of times a year. In spring, the English landscape garden is traditionally opened one weekend to let visitors enjoy the vast fields of snowdrops (and winter aconites). Between the deciduous trees, along the paths, near the water features; these heralds of spring appear everywhere and form a white carpet of flowers in various places. During our visit in 2021, the winter aconites - unlike exactly ten years earlier - were not yet in bloom. But we were able to enjoy thousands, if not millions of snowdrops.

Nederland - Vorden, De Wildenborch

28 Feb 2021 61 48 565
De Wildenborch (“castle in the wild marsh”), as it is seen today, looks nothing like the strong medieval fortress that had great defensive significance until the 17th century. The castle was located in a watery and wild swampy area and that location made the fortified house an almost impregnable fortress. It is assumed that the house originally consisted of a strong, square residential tower, surrounded by a swampy, repeatedly moated area. Only the current tower of the castle still contains remains of the originally medieval front gate. The oldest mention of De Wildenborch dates from 1371, when it was in the possession of robber knight “Sweder Rodebaert van Wisch”. The oldest known feudal document is from 1449. The castle remained in the hands of the “Van Wisch” family for a long time. The successive lords lived in politically turbulent times and were repeatedly in armed conflict with the cities of Zutphen and Deventer and with the Duke of Gelre. There were several unsuccessful siege attempts around 1500. The “Van Wisch” family died out in 1541. Via a female heiress, the castle came into the hands of the “Van Limburg Stirum” family. Over the centuries there have been several renovations. From the second half of the 17th century onwards, the castle rapidly fell into disrepair, after which it was sold in 1700. At that time only the inhabitable gate tower was remaining. After several changes of ownership, De Wildenborch was auctioned in 1757. The buyers were probably only interested in the five thousand oaks that stood on the estate. After these had been auctioned, the estate was sold again in 1768. In 1780 “Damiaan Hugo Staring” and his wife bought De Wildenborch . His son “Anthony Christiaan Winand Staring” - a well known Dutch poet - was another well known resident of the castle. He filled and planted most of the surrounding marshland with deciduous trees. The house is still inhabited by descendants of “Staring”. Nowadays De Wildenborch is one of the eight castles in and around the village of Vorden in the Dutch province of Gelderland. The country estate consists of a castle with a round tower and side wings, a building house with a coach house attached to it and 38 ha. partly landscaped garden and partly park forest. There are large water features around the house. The house is closed to the public. The gardens of ‘De Wildenborch’ are open for public a couple of times a year.

Nederland - Oranjewoud, De Belvedère

11 Mar 2022 44 47 508
The Belvedère is a watchtower in the forest area of Oranjewoud. Andreas Willem Tjaarda - owner of Logement Heidewoud, nowadays Golden Tulip Hotel Tjaarda - had a wooden watchtower built on the Berg van Brongerga , a small hill almost ten meters high, in 1917. The area was and is known as Tjaarda’s Bosch (Tjaarda´s Forest). In 1924 this wooden construction was replaced by a reinforced concrete tower due to dilapidation. The octagonal watchtower has nine stairs of twelve steps and a height of eighteen meters. When the height of the hill is added, the eye level of a person on the tower is almost thirty meters above ground level. This tower also fell into disrepair, but instead of being demolished, it was restored after seventy years. The observation tower is a special feature: it is one of the oldest concrete structures with such large dimensions. The Belvedère is a Dutch national monument.

Nederland - Huize Oranjewoud

11 Mar 2022 55 50 547
In 1664 the Frisian Nassau’s bought some heathland east of Heerenveen known as ‘t Wold . The ‘village’ became its name Oranjewoud (Orange Forest - Orange is the colour of the Dutch royal family) in the year of 1676, when Albertina Agnes, Prinses van Oranje Nassau, after the death of her husband Willem Frederik van Nassau - Stadtholder of Frisia - bought an existing country estate. Early 18th century her daughter-in-law Henriëtte Amalia van Anhalt-Dessau modernized the manor by (landscape) architect Marot (well known for the construction of Palace Het Loo nearby Apeldoorn). Marot designed two new wings for Oranjewoud, but the central building was never built. The architect also planned the gardens and park around the manor. During the French occupation, both wings were demolished and the property was sold. Two estates were built where the Stadtholder's country house had once stood: Oranjewoud at the site of the old castle and Oranjestein where the home of the estate manager had lived. Various generations of the Oranje-Nassau family spent their summer at Oranjewoud. It remained in the possession of the Oranje-Nassau family for a long time. The last time a family member showed up was in 1791. Not long after, the summer residence was demolished. In 1823, the jonkheer De Blocq van Scheltinga bought the land and had the current country house built on the old foundations. White plastered Huize Oranjewoud (Country House Oranjewoud) is surrounded by a beautiful garden and a moat. The estate remained in the family until 1953. Huize Oranjewoud is private owned and is used and rented to companies for meetings of all kinds.

Nederland - Oranjewoud, Huize Oranjestein

11 Mar 2022 83 64 708
Huize Oranjestein (Country House Oranjestein) was built on the site where, around the 18th century, the residence of the estate manager of Landgoed Oranjewoud (Country Estate Oranjewoud) stood. The estate belonged to the Van Nassau-Dietz family. Oranjestein was bought in 1820 by the merchant Pieter Cats. The property was thoroughly rebuilt by the new owner and was completed two years later. More alterations followed; a final thorough renovation took place in 2008/2009, whereby the house retained its original 19th century atmosphere. The Oranjestein estate is still privately owned. Access to the estate/park is restricted to a number of Sundays in the summer. Since 2003, the Oranjestein estate is a national Dutch monument.

Nederland - Workum, Waag

05 Feb 2019 57 51 548
In 1399 Workum received city rights and with that the right of mint and measure. In the 15th century, a weigh house was built. The weighmaster supervised the correct weights and measures. The Waag was mainly used for trading butter and cheese. In 1649, the weigh house was in very poor condition. The city council therefore decided to replace the it with a new building. A year later, a fine new weigh house was built in the center of the city on the Merk; the present building. The building has a hipped roof with a stepped gable dormer on each side. There are also coats of arms in the facades, including the municipal coat of arms with the year 1650. In 1923, the Waag was restored. The lower floor served as a police station and the upper floor became a library and public reading room. After a new restoration in 2007, the building is used by the V.V.V. (Tourist Information Centre) and Museum Warkums Erfskip .

Nederland - Brongerga, klokkenstoel

11 Mar 2022 56 45 630
A klokkenstoel (bell tower/belfry) as a separate structure probably owes its origin to the fact that certain areas in Friesland were too poor or the communities too small, to build a church. Sometimes a church was built without a tower and the bell was placed in a separate bell tower. It also happened that when a church building or church tower had fallen into ruin, a bell tower was built. Usually, the bell tower is located in a village or hamlet. Almost all freestanding bell towers can be found in the province of Friesland and therefore the bell tower can be called a typical Frisian construction. Brongerga is such a hamlet (nearby Oranjewoud and Heerenveen). In 1315 it already had a little church and a drawing from 1722 shows that there was still a church, but it must have been demolished shortly afterwards. Nowadays, only the belfry remains in the churchyard, where an old tombstone mentions the year 1711. The bell tower contains a very old bell from the 13th century, which came from a belfry in another Frisian village. The current bell tower was renovated in 2006.

1436 items in total