PIPS ABOVE :
MARVÃO VIEWED FROM THERE
BRIDGE ROADWAY
The Portagem Granite Bridge, which spans the Sever River, is one of the many "ex-libris" of the municipality of Marvão and can be considered one of the most perfect works of road engineering known in Alentejo.
Its location near the Roman City of Ammaia (parish of S. Salvador de Aramenha), together with the presence of Roman materials in its surroundings, have contributed to practically all authors considering it as a work of the Romans or their time.
According to Diogo Pereira de Sotto Maior's treatise on the City of Portalegre, concluded in 1619, there would still exist in his time (possibly at the end of the 16th century), a bridge in front of which there was an entire gate. It would have been the famous Aramenha Arch, which Manuel de Azevedo Fortes, Governor of Castelo de Vide, would have had transported to that town in 1710. This door was located in the area of the farm of Azenha Branca, the place with the largest concentration of Roman remains in the town of Ammaia. The bridge in front of it would be a work of Roman times, if we take into account the remains that are still there today.
The 17th century author also tells us that the bridge was knocked down to prevent goods passing over it to Castile without paying duty. This bridge was replaced by another that was built lower down, next to a Tower called Portagem. In this Tower with medieval characteristics, the Customs of Marvão would function and the toll rights would be collected there, functioning since, at least, September 1st 1416 (Laranjo Coelho, 1988).
Therefore, we conclude that the so-called Roman toll bridge would date back to the end of the 16th century. It is believed that most of the stonework used in the construction of the bridge is in fact Roman, certainly reused from the previous bridge or from other Roman buildings that were in ruins in the region.