Stiffleaf's photos with the keyword: hackney museum
st.mary, haggerston, london
02 Apr 2011 |
|
the church was built by nash in 1825-7, doubly rare as gothic. nash had proposed a centralised plan with a classic roman design in stone, but there was insufficient money to build it. there are stories to explain the height of the tower; nash is supposed to have told the builder to continue until told to stop, then forgot and went out of town; the other claimed that the builder was told to go on until he ran out of materials. the inside was victorianised by james brooks in c.1860, the pinnacles demolished in the 1930s, and the church bombed flat in 1941. this model remains in hackney museum
st.mary, haggerston, london
02 Apr 2011 |
|
the church was built by nash in 1825-7, doubly rare as gothic. nash had proposed a centralised plan with a classic roman design in stone, but there was insufficient money to build it. there are stories to explain the height of the tower; nash is supposed to have told the builder to continue until told to stop, then forgot and went out of town; the other claimed that the builder was told to go on until he ran out of materials. the inside was victorianised by james brooks in c.1860, the pinnacles demolished in the 1930s, and the church bombed flat in 1941. this model remains in hackney museum
st.mary, haggerston, london
02 Apr 2011 |
|
the church was built by nash in 1825-7, doubly rare as gothic. nash had proposed a centralised plan with a classic roman design in stone, but there was insufficient money to build it. there are stories to explain the height of the tower; nash is supposed to have told the builder to continue until told to stop, then forgot and went out of town; the other claimed that the builder was told to go on until he ran out of materials. the inside was victorianised by james brooks in c.1860, the pinnacles demolished in the 1930s, and the church bombed flat in 1941. this model remains in hackney museum
st.leonard's childrens' home, london, c19 statue o…
02 Apr 2011 |
|
this group of charity and her children originated from the home on kingsland road near st.leonard's church , shoreditch . it dates from c.1806 and is signed by the manufacturer van spangen and powell of mile end, competitors of coade's in the field of artificial stone statuary. they sold up in 1828, becoming part of austin and seeley on the new road. this statue moved with the home to hornchurch in the 1880s, and is now in hackney museum. the children wear charity costume, as worn in bluecoat schools
tombstone of daniel defoe
02 Apr 2011 |
|
now in hackney museum, this gravestone came from bunhill fields, the nonconformist campo santo , where it marked the grave of the author of robinson crusoe, who died in 1731 . It looks to date from the mid c19, and was replaced later in the century by a much bigger obelisk. he lived in stoke newington near hackney.
st.john's hackney helmet
02 Apr 2011 |
|
c16 funerary helm from hackney church , now in the museum. used for the memorial to a lord mayor, who died in 1715, it was made in the netherlands
st.mary, haggerston, london
02 Apr 2011 |
|
the church was built by nash in 1825-7, doubly rare as gothic. nash had proposed a centralised plan with a classic roman design in stone, but there was insufficient money to build it. there are stories to explain the height of the tower; nash is supposed to have told the builder to continue until told to stop, then forgot and went out of town; the other claimed that the builder was told to go on until he ran out of materials. the inside was victorianised by james brooks in c.1860, the pinnacles demolished in the 1930s, and the church bombed flat in 1941. this model remains in hackney museum
st.leonard's childrens' home, london
02 Apr 2011 |
|
this group of charity and her children originated from the home on kingsland road near st.leonard's church , shoreditch . it dates from c.1806 and is signed by the manufacturer van spangen and powell of mile end, competitors of coade's in the field of artificial stone statuary. they sold up in 1828, becoming part of austin and seely on the new road. this statue moved with the home to hornchurch in the 1880s, and is now in hackney museum
st.mary, haggerston, london
02 Apr 2011 |
|
the church was built by nash in 1825-7, doubly rare as gothic. nash had proposed a centralised plan with a classic roman design in stone, but there was insufficient money to build it. there are stories to explain the height of the tower; nash is supposed to have told the builder to continue until told to stop, then forgot and went out of town; the other claimed that the builder was told to go on until he ran out of materials. the inside was victorianised by james brooks in c.1860, the pinnacles demolished in the 1930s, and the church bombed flat in 1941. this model remains in hackney museum
st.mary, haggerston, london
02 Apr 2011 |
|
the church was built by nash in 1825-7, doubly rare as gothic. nash had proposed a centralised plan with a classic roman design in stone, but there was insufficient money to build it. there are stories to explain the height of the tower; nash is supposed to have told the builder to continue until told to stop, then forgot and went out of town; the other claimed that the builder was told to go on until he ran out of materials. the inside was victorianised by james brooks in c.1860, the pinnacles demolished in the 1930s, and the church bombed flat in 1941. this model remains in hackney museum
st.leonard's childrens' home, london
02 Apr 2011 |
|
this group of charity and her children originated from the home on kingsland road near st.leonard's church , shoreditch . it dates from c.1806 and is signed by the manufacturer van spangen and powell of mile end, competitors of coade's in the field of artificial stone statuary. they sold up in 1828, becoming part of austin and seeley on the new road. this statue moved with the home to hornchurch in the 1880s, and is now in hackney museum
st.leonard's childrens' home, london
02 Apr 2011 |
|
this group of charity and her children originated from the home on kingsland road near st.leonard's church , shoreditch . it dates from c.1806 and is signed by the manufacturer van spangen and powell of mile end, competitors of coade's in the field of artificial stone statuary. they sold up in 1828, becoming part of austin and seeley on the new road. this statue moved with the home to hornchurch in the 1880s, and is now in hackney museum
Jump to top
RSS feed- Stiffleaf's latest photos with "hackney museum" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter