Earthwatcher's photos with the keyword: viaduct

Raasay: No.1 Mine tramway viaduct and tributary bu…

15 Jun 2020 1 172
Raasay Ironstone Mine and Processing Works The No.1 Mine tramway had to cross the steep sided valley of a tributary of the Inverarish Burn on an impressive viaduct before heading south towards the processing plant at East Suisnish. Only the concrete support piers remain today. This is a view from the west. Background The two adits of Raasay No.1 ironstone Mine were situated about 2.5 km north of East Suisnish pier and worked the Jurassic (Upper Lias) age siderite and chamosite ores from 1914 to 1920. The mine was owned and developed by William Baird & Co. who also built the terraces of houses in the village of Inverarish to house the mine workers, many of whom were German prisoners of war. A tramway and incline connected the mine to the processing works (crusher, calcining kilns, gantries, loading hoppers) at East Suisnish. A second pair of mine adits (Raasay No.2 Ironstone Mine) just north of Inverarish were also opened up around the same time but never went into proper production due to geological difficulties (faulting). There was also a small amount of opencast outcrop mining carried out near the No.1 Mine, again around the same time. The works were dismantled by 1943 but the site is now a scheduled protected monument. A view of the works in 1917 is here: geoscenic.bgs.ac.uk/asset-bank/action/viewAsset?id=1343

Raasay: No.1 Mine tramway viaduct - north pier

15 Jun 2020 1 154
Raasay Ironstone Mine and Processing Works The No.1 Mine tramway had to cross the steep sided valley of a tributary of the Inverarish Burn on an impressive viaduct before heading south towards the processing plant at East Suisnish. Only the concrete support piers remain today. This is a view of the northern pier. Background The two adits of Raasay No.1 ironstone Mine were situated about 2.5 km north of East Suisnish pier and worked the Jurassic (Upper Lias) age siderite and chamosite ores from 1914 to 1920. The mine was owned and developed by William Baird & Co. who also built the terraces of houses in the village of Inverarish to house the mine workers, many of whom were German prisoners of war. A tramway and incline connected the mine to the processing works (crusher, calcining kilns, gantries, loading hoppers) at East Suisnish. A second pair of mine adits (Raasay No.2 Ironstone Mine) just north of Inverarish were also opened up around the same time but never went into proper production due to geological difficulties (faulting). There was also a small amount of opencast outcrop mining carried out near the No.1 Mine, again around the same time. The works were dismantled by 1943 but the site is now a scheduled protected monument. A view of the works in 1917 is here: geoscenic.bgs.ac.uk/asset-bank/action/viewAsset?id=1343

Raasay: No.1 Mine tramway viaduct piers

15 Jun 2020 1 149
Raasay Ironstone Mine and Processing Works The No.1 Mine tramway had to cross the steep sided valley of a tributary of the Inverarish Burn on an impressive viaduct before heading south towards the processing plant at East Suisnish. Only the concrete support piers remain today. Background The two adits of Raasay No.1 ironstone Mine were situated about 2.5 km north of East Suisnish pier and worked the Jurassic (Upper Lias) age siderite and chamosite ores from 1914 to 1920. The mine was owned and developed by William Baird & Co. who also built the terraces of houses in the village of Inverarish to house the mine workers, many of whom were German prisoners of war. A tramway and incline connected the mine to the processing works (crusher, calcining kilns, gantries, loading hoppers) at East Suisnish. A second pair of mine adits (Raasay No.2 Ironstone Mine) just north of Inverarish were also opened up around the same time but never went into proper production due to geological difficulties (faulting). There was also a small amount of opencast outcrop mining carried out near the No.1 Mine, again around the same time. The works were dismantled by 1943 but the site is now a scheduled protected monument. A view of the works in 1917 is here: geoscenic.bgs.ac.uk/asset-bank/action/viewAsset?id=1343

The Don valley from the Conisbrough Viaduct

07 Feb 2008 234
Originally uploaded for the Guesswhere UK Group. This is a south-easterly view over the Don valley from the western end of the Conisbrough viaduct near Doncaster, South Yorkshire. The viaduct was built in 1906-07 to carry the Dearne Valley Railway across the Don valley, thus connecting the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway with the Great Northern and Great Eastern Railways. It is 528 yards in length with 14 arches on one bank and 7 on the other connected by an iron girder bridge 115 feet above the River Don. The last passenger train ran across the viaduct in 1951. It is now used as an impressive footpath and cycle track.