sps1955's photos with the keyword: Railway station

Brandon - Railway Station from forecourt

11 Oct 2020 1 189
Built in 1844-5 and attributed to John Thomas (1813-1862) . Originally symmetrical, but extended to left and right in the 1870s and 1880s. The station became unstaffed in 1967 and the building, vacant since 2004, was under threat of demolition, but received Grade II listing in August 2020: historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1471392 ; www.savebritainsheritage.org/campaigns/item/665/PRESS-RELEASE-Dads-Army-station-saved-by-listing .

Brandon - Railway Station from footbridge

11 Oct 2020 1 2 150
Built in 1844-5 and attributed to John Thomas (1813-1862) . Originally symmetrical, but extended to left and right in the 1870s and 1880s. The station became unstaffed in 1967 and the building, vacant since 2004, was under threat of demolition, but received Grade II listing in August 2020: historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1471392 ; www.savebritainsheritage.org/campaigns/item/665/PRESS-RELEASE-Dads-Army-station-saved-by-listing .

Salt - former railway station from S 2015-06-22

15 Sep 2015 1 142
The line was carried south of the village on an embankment which has been removed in front of the building, although part of it can be seen on the right; the platform was at what is now first-floor level. For a view taken c.1950, see picasaweb.google.com/117987557225330473962/StaffordToUtto... (upper photo): the station building is largely obscured by the signal box (which would have stood to the left in my photo), but the single-storey platform elevation can be seen, as well as the falling ground level behind the signal box. Further recent photos: www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-24158505.html . The station was on the Stafford and Uttoxeter Railway, opened in 1867 and purchased by the Great Northern Railway in 1881 in an attempt to reach Wales. Passenger services ceased in 1939 and goods in 1951, although the last train, an enthusiasts' special, ran some six years later: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stafford_and_Uttoxeter_Railway .

Cambridge Station from SW 2015-06-04

04 Jun 2015 129
Built in 1845 to the designs of Francis Thompson (or possibly Sancton Wood); the arcade was originally open, forming an entrance loggia, and was matched by a similar one on the platform side. The current treatment of the entrance front dates from 1971. English Heritage listing: list.historicengland.org.uk/resultsingle.aspx?uid=1343683 ; RCHM: www.british-history.ac.uk/rchme/cambs/pp304-313 (item 85); 1950s view showing part of the arcade still open: www.british-history.ac.uk/rchme/cambs/plate-298 .

Cambridge Station from E 2015-05-19

30 May 2015 126
The main station building, towards the left with the circular windows in the upper floor, is the original one from 1845 (designed by Francis Thompson or possibly by Sancton Wood) and originally provided an arcaded loggia over the platform, demolished in 1863 when the right-hand section, with the pitched roofs, was built. English Heritage listing: list.historicengland.org.uk/resultsingle.aspx?uid=1343683 .

Cambridge Station from the footbridge 2015-05-19

30 May 2015 128
Until 2011 Cambridge preserved a common arrangement in early stations, with one long through platform handling trains in both directions - the scissors crossover which made this possible can be seen at centre left. The footbridge and a new island platform (just visible on the left) were opened in December 2011. The main station building is the original one from 1845 (designed by Francis Thompson or possibly by Sancton Wood) and originally provided an arcaded loggia over the platform, demolished in 1863 when the nearer section, with the pitched roofs, was built. English Heritage listing: list.historicengland.org.uk/resultsingle.aspx?uid=1343683 . Beyond the station is evidence of the frenzy of flat building which has gripped this part of Cambridge in the last few years, some of it for students. In the left background is the Belvedere from 2002-6; behind the oldest part of the station building are new halls of residence for Anglia Ruskin University; on the right Foster's Flour Mills of 1898 are undergoing conversion to flats (the scaffolding surrounding the building is concealed behind netting with an image of its façade).

London - King's Cross station 2014-07-08

02 Jun 2015 1 132
The former entrance façade (built 1851-2 to designs of Lewis Cubitt) seen through the vault of the concourse designed by John McAslan, engineered by Arup, and opened in 2012. List description for original building: list.historicengland.org.uk/resultsingle.aspx?uid=1078328 .

London - King's Cross Station, looking S in the W…

02 Jun 2015 1 178
Built in 1851-2 for the Great Northern Railway to the designs of Lewis Cubitt. The arches supporting the roof were originally of laminated timber, but were replaced with wrought-iron plate in 1886-7. List description: list.historicengland.org.uk/resultsingle.aspx?uid=1078328 .

London - King's Cross station 2014-06-17

02 Jun 2015 1 183
The S front seen from the terrace of St Pancras station. Built 1851-2 for the Great Northern Railway to the designs of Lewis Cubitt, who wrote that "The building will depend for its effect on the largeness of some of the features, its fitness for its purpose and its characteristic expression of that purpose" [Steven Parissien , The English Railway Station (2014), pp.11-12]. List description: list.historicengland.org.uk/resultsingle.aspx?uid=1078328 .

London - King's Cross station, looking N in the W…

13 Jun 2015 1 180
Built in 1851-2 for the Great Northern Railway to the designs of Lewis Cubitt. The arches supporting the roof were originally of laminated timber, but were replaced with wrought-iron plate in 1886-7. List description: list.historicengland.org.uk/resultsingle.aspx?uid=1078328 . I think that a fault had resulted in this half of the station being virtually deserted - the train that I was about to catch usually leaves from one of these platforms, but departed from platform 0, on the east side of the station, to the confusion of people who were expecting to find a different train there.

London - King's Cross station concourse 2015-06-04

02 Aug 2015 135
Designed by John McAslan, engineered by Arup, and opened in 2012. Looking N at the exit that leads towards St Pancras International. The couple in the centre of the photo were eating their lunch, and showed no sign of moving, so must be regarded as a feature of the photo, rather than as an obstruction!

London: King's Cross 2014-07-02

02 Jul 2014 171
The station concourse, designed by John McAslan and Partners, and completed 2012, from the NW. The façade follows the curve of the Italianate Great Northern Hotel, on the right (built to the designs of Lewis Cubitt, 1854; listing: list.english-heritage.org.uk/resultsingle.aspx?uid=1113244 ) whose curved plan in turn followed the former alignment of Pancras Road (whose course can be appreciated in this 1957 aerial view ). The clock tower of St Pancras station is on the far right.

Royston station, 2014-03-18

28 Mar 2014 121
Looking E. from the W. end of the up platform. Replacement down waiting room under construction by the footbridge steps on the left. Posted for comparison with views of the old station building at www.flickr.com/photos/18578675@N02/12238632403 and www.flickr.com/photos/18578675@N02/12239021306/ .

Royston station, 2014-03-18

28 Mar 2014 126
The main station building on the up side from the SW, with the station approach. Posted for comparison with view of the old station building at www.flickr.com/photos/18578675@N02/12238632403 .

Royston station, 2014-03-18

28 Mar 2014 125
Looking E. from the W. end of the down platform. Posted for comparison with views of the old station building at www.flickr.com/photos/18578675@N02/12238632403 and www.flickr.com/photos/18578675@N02/12239021306/ .

Royston station 2014-04-15

15 Apr 2014 100
Looking E. Posted for comparison with views of the old station building at www.flickr.com/photos/18578675@N02/12238632403 and www.flickr.com/photos/18578675@N02/12239021306/ .

Derby: Friargate Arches 2012-12-10

10 Dec 2012 111
The substructure and parapet of Derby Friargate station, on the Great Northern Railway's line from Nottingham, opened in 1878 and closed to passengers in 1964. The platform-level buildings have been demolished. The line crossed Friar Gate by a bridge on the right. From NE.