Bill Tennent's photos with the keyword: North Yorkshire
The Triple tier Pulpit - Three Sermons at Once!
18 Feb 2015 |
|
|
In the Church of Saint Mary, Whitby, North Yorkshire.
It was founded around AD 1110, although its interior dates chiefly from the late 1700s. The church was designated a Grade I listed building on 23 February 1954.
It is situated on the town's east cliff, overlooking the mouth of the River Esk overlooking the town, close to the ruins of Whitby Abbey. Church Steps, a flight of 199 steps lead up the hill to the church from the streets below.
The church graveyard is used as a setting in Bram Stoker's novel, Dracula.
Note also the stove pipe chimney from a pot boiler furnace in the middle of the church and it's only heating source!
Ginger at Brimham Rocks
The Potting Shed
Knaresborough
18 Mar 2014 |
|
Mentioned in the Domesday Book as Chenaresburg, meaning 'Cenheard's fortress'. Knaresborough Castle dates from Norman times; around 1100, the town began to grow and provide a market and attract traders to service the castle. The present parish church, St John's, was established around this time. The earliest name for a Lord of Knaresborough is from around 1115 when Serlo de Burgh held the 'Honour of Knaresborough' from the King.
Ripon Cathedral
18 Mar 2014 |
|
|
Today's church is the fourth to have stood on this site. Saint Wilfrid brought stonemasons, plasterers and glaziers from France and Italy to build his great basilica in AD 672. A contemporary account by Eddius Stephanus tells us:
"In Ripon, Saint Wilfrid built and completed from the foundations to the roof a church of dressed stone, supported by various columns and side-aisles to a great height and many windows, arched vaults and a winding cloister."
Saint Wilfrid was buried in this church near the high altar. Devastated by the English king in AD 948 as a warning to the Archbishop of York, only the crypt of Wilfrid's church survived but today this tiny 7th-century chapel rests complete beneath the later grandeur of Archbishop Roger de Pont l’Evêque’s 12th century minster. A second minster soon arose at Ripon, but it too perished – this time in 1069 at the hands of William the Conqueror. Thomas of Bayeux, first Norman Archbishop of York, then instigated the construction of a third church, traces of which were incorporated into the later chapter house of Roger's minster.
A misericord, alleged inspiration for Lewis Carroll’s, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.
A blemyah carving from a choir stall.
The Early English west front was added in 1220, its twin towers originally crowned with wooden spires and lead. Major rebuilding had to be postponed due to the outbreak of the Wars of the Roses but resumed after the accession of Henry VII and the restoration of peace in 1485. The nave was widened and the central tower partially rebuilt. The church's thirty five misericords were carved between 1489 and 1494. It is worth noting that the same (Ripon) school of carvers also carved the misericords at Beverley Minster and Manchester Cathedral. But in 1547, before this work was finished, Edward VI dissolved Ripon's college of canons. All revenues were appropriated by the Crown and the tower never received its last Perpendicular arches. It was not until 1604 that James I issued his Charter of Restoration.
The minster finally became a cathedral (the church where the Bishop has his cathedra or throne) in 1836, the focal point of the newly created Anglican Diocese of Ripon — the first to be established since the Reformation.
Fountains Abbey in HDR
18 Mar 2014 |
|
|
Fountains Abbey is one of the largest and best preserved ruined Cistercian monasteries in England.
In 1539 the Abbey was surrendered, when Henry VIII ordered the Dissolution of the Monasteries.
Jump to top
RSS feed- Bill Tennent's latest photos with "North Yorkshire" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter