Tractacus' photos with the keyword: Canal
Bonchurch
11 Aug 2013 |
|
|
|
Launched in 1945 with a 2 cylinder steam engine, she was upgraded in 1963 with a 375hp 8 cylinder GM diesel engine. During her long life, she has spent time in service at Le Havre, Southampton and Portsmouth, before arriving on the Sankey Canal at Fiddlers Ferry in September 2006.
Sat18May13
Inshore Tug
11 Aug 2013 |
|
|
|
Built in Germany in 1945, but launched at Hessle, and given the designation TID 174 (Tug, Inshore and Dock - the number can be seen on the stripe at the top of the funnel), the Bonchurch now resides on the Sankey Canal at the Fiddlers Ferry Yatch Haven.
Sat18May13
Barmere
11 Aug 2013 |
|
|
|
Originally a working boat, built in 1948 to transport grain from Manchester Docks to the Kellogs factory at Stretford, up until 1974.
Following a further 10 years in the unglamorous trade of collecting rubbish from Liverpool and Birkenhead Docks, she was eventually dumped at Stanley Lock, Liverpool.
The vessel was saved and restored by the Sankey Canal Restoration Society, and she now enjoys a well earned retirement at the Fiddlers Ferry Yatch Haven.
Sat18May13
Waterlogged
In need of attention
Fiddlers Ferry Lock 1
11 Aug 2013 |
|
Fiddlers Ferry Lock, giving access between the Sankey Canal and the River Mersey. The Canal runs across the picture, just beyond the lock gates.
Sat18May13
Fiddlers Ferry Lock 2
11 Aug 2013 |
|
|
|
Fiddlers Ferry Lock, providing access between the Sankey Canal and the tidal River Mersey. The line of the Canal can be seen by the masts of the moored yatchs in the background.
Sat18May13
The way out
11 Aug 2013 |
|
Fiddlers Ferry Lock. Looking out from the lock gates into the River Mersey.
Sat18May13
Standedge Tunnel
06 Aug 2013 |
|
Eastern entrance. Huddersfield Narrow Canal. Taken during the rebuilding work to re-open the tunnel after many years out of use.
Fri11Aug00. Scanned
The fleets in!
01 Aug 2013 |
|
|
|
A gathering of narrow boats on the Lower Peak Forest Canal, near to Portland Basin, Ashton-under-Lyne.
Sat15Jul00. Scanned
Locked out
01 Aug 2013 |
|
|
|
The 16 locks at Marple raise the Peak Forest Canal 209ft in about a mile. Opened in 1804, before which time a temporary tramway connected the two sections, traces of which still remain. Here we see a narrow boat travelling downhill from Marple Junction and exiting Lock 10.
Tue9Apr91. Scanned
Jump to top
RSS feed- Tractacus' latest photos with "Canal" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter