tarboat's photos with the keyword: auchinleck
Highhouse Colliery
25 Mar 2024 |
|
|
|
Highhouse Colliery, Auchinleck, commenced production in 1894. Owned by Bairds & Dalmellington Limited from 1931 until nationalisation, the two shafts were 177m and 174m deep. In 1948 output was 420 tons per day, 185,000 tons per annum, using longwall and stoop and room working. 473 employees. There were screens for dry coal but washing was done at the nearby Barony Colliery. The mine was closed in 1983 and this headgear and winding house, complete with steam winder, are the main remaining structures. They have been listed by Historic Scotland.
Highhouse Colliery
10 Jun 2019 |
|
|
|
This pit was sunk in 1894 and operated until 1983. The preserved headframe is of unusual design and replaced a wooden structure c1968. The winding house beneath contains a steam winding engine built c1896 by Grant, Ritchie and Co Ltd, Kilmarnock.
Jump to top
RSS feed- tarboat's latest photos with "auchinleck" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter