tarboat's photos with the keyword: rhonnda
Bertie Pit
12 Nov 2021 |
|
|
The Bertie shaft, Lewis Merthyr Colliery was completed c1880. Bertie and the adjacent Trefor shafts were sunk by William Thomas Lewis, later Lord Merthyr and named after his sons. By 1896 there were 1532 men employed producing coal for the then named Merthyr Navigation Collieries. Bertie pit produced steam coal and Trefor pit produced house coal.Coal winding finished at this shaft with closure of the pit taking place in 1983. The colliery site now forms part of Rhondda Heritage Park.
Lewis Merthyr
09 Jul 2017 |
|
|
|
Lewis Merthyr Colliery was closed in June 1983 and has now become part of the Rhonnda Heritage Park. Coal ceased to be wound here in 1958 after the colliery was merged with Tymawr pit. The Bertie and Trefor shafts seen here were sunk in 1880 and 1881.
Jump to top
RSS feed- tarboat's latest photos with "rhonnda" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter