tarboat's photos with the keyword: trefor

Castle or Quarry?

26 Mar 2025 5 1 17
The Yr Eifl granite quarry at Trefor opened in 1850 and closed in 1963. The massive concrete stone bins and crusher block were built in 1923

Yr Eifl

05 Jul 2024 1 3 209
The Yr Eifl granite quarry at Trefor opened in 1850 and closed in 1963. The massive concrete stone bins and crusher block were built in 1923.

Trevor pier

16 Apr 2014 2 1915
The Yr Eifl granite quarry at Trefor opened in 1850 and closed in 1971. An incline brought stone down to Trefor pier for shipping out. The whole operation was run by the Penmaenmawr & Welsh Granite Co Ltd from 1911 - 1965 although the inclines from the quarry and railway to the pier were replaced by road vehicles in 1959. The railway on the pier was replaced by conveyors in 1962.

Fireworks at Pontcysyllte

05 Feb 2014 2 514
Pyrotechnic celebrations at the bicentenary of the Pontcysyllte aqueduct on the Llangollen (Ellesmere) Canal.

Yr Eifl

31 Mar 2013 3 898
The Yr Eifl granite quarry at Trefor opened in 1850 and closed in 1971. This incline brought stone down to Trefor pier for shipping out.

Tan-y-Graig granite

05 Jan 2013 898
The Tan-y-Graig quarries first opened in 1864 for granite sett production and after a number of unsuccessful incarnations were amalgamated with the nearby Tyddyn Hywel Quarry into the ownership of Enderby & Stoney Stanton Granite Co Ltd in 1916 and were by now producing macadam chippings rather than setts. These were exported from a pier at Bryn-yr-Eryr at the end of a 2ft gauge railway. In 1918 this was replaced by the Enderby (Welsh) Granite Co Ltd and after this firm was wound up in 1928 Thomas W Ward Ltd of Sheffield took over in 1930 and operated the quarries until c1947. It is a long climb up to the quarries at around 750ft above sea level but it is well worthwhile for the extensive remains still to be seen up there. This view is in Tan-y-Graig No.2 Quarry where a new incline was constructed c1905 to link into another new incline down to meet the Tyddyn Hywel railway inclines. The drum house of the top 1905 incline survives in fairly good order minus roof. The water tank stands in front of a roofless sett dressing shed. It is clear that very few people make the climb up here and it is likely that these relics will survive for many years yet.

Helm's Deep

02 Aug 2012 1 1 422
The Yr Eifl granite quarry at Trefor opened in 1850 and closed in 1963. The massive concrete stone bins and crusher block were built in 1923.