tarboat's photos with the keyword: ashton-under-lyne
Electric Cars
06 May 2023 |
|
|
The first electric tramway route by the Ashton-Under-Lyne Corporation began in 1902 between Ashton-under-Lyne and Hurst. A maintenance depot for the electric trams was created in 1902, on Mossley Road in Ashton-Under-Lyne for the repair and maintenance on the electric trams. This building was later repurposed for electric trolleybuses and then repurposed into business offices for present day use. The Corporation coat of arms is incorporated in a panel over the original office section of the depot.
Nump
13 May 2012 |
|
A statement amongst the myriad empty and disused properties around Stamford St, Ashton-under-Lyne.
Key in mouth
24 May 2012 |
|
This sculpture watches over the door into the Natwest Bank on Warrington St, Ashton-under-Lyne. I am not sure what it is supposed to be. It looks a bit like a lion and at first I wondered if it was an otter!
173 Stamford Street Central
04 Jun 2012 |
|
Woolworths logo in mosaic at the entrance to their former shop in Stamford Street Central, Ashton-under-Lyne. The premises now house the charity shop of the Wooden Canal Boat Society.
Clarence Arcade
05 Jun 2012 |
|
Clarence Arcade, Stamford Street Central, Ashton-under-Lyne, is Tameside's only covered Victorian shopping arcade and was built in 1893. As the focus of shopping moved away from Stamford Street the arcade fell on hard times but has now been refurbished and many of the former shops are now offices. Inside it is eerily quiet and devoid of people.
Thomas Kerfoot & Co Ltd
18 Mar 2011 |
|
|
Detail of the terracotta plaque on the tower of the Kerfoot works at Bardsley Vale.
Thomas Kerfoot, Bardsley Vale
23 Feb 2011 |
|
Business pride in terracotta on the water tower of the Thomas Kerfoot pharmaceuticals factory at Bardsley Vale.
In 1864 Thomas Kerfoot acquired a chemist's business in London Road, Manchester, established in 1797, on his own account. Initially he traded as a retail chemist, but soon began to manufacture galenicals. In 1887 he abandoned production of compressed pills and tablets. In 1890 he moved to premises in Chester Street, Manchester, which were vacated after total destruction by fire in 1896. The firm re-located to a site at Bardsley Vale on the river Medlock. between Oldham and Ashton-under-Lyne, Tameside, and a warehouse was opened at 42 Lamb's Conduit Street, Holborn, London. In 1900 Thomas Kerfoot was joined in partnership by his son, Ernest Hodgson Kerfoot, and the business was styled Thomas Kerfoot & Co. A range of new pharmaceutical products was introduced, including Salaspin in 1914 and Kerocain, a synthetic local anaesthetic, in 1915. In 1918 the business was incorporated as a limited liability company, Thomas Kerfoot & Co Ltd.
Ernest Kerfoot's 2 sons, Dr T H Manners Kerfoot and Henry Manners Kerfoot, entered the company in 1931, and in 1936 Thomas Kerfoot died, followed in 1944 by his son, Ernest Kerfoot. During the Second World War the company produced the anli-malarial drug Mepacrine, flavine antiseptics and large quantities of pills and injectables for use by the armed forces. After the war the company continued to produce pills and lozenges, and also began manufacture of penicillin cream. By the 1970s it specialised in the production of antibiotics and steroids, which it sold in unbranded form, directly to retail pharmacies, hospitals and wholesalers.
In 1990 Thomas Kerfoot & Co Ltd was acquired by Medeva pic, Jermyn Street, London, and its business interests were merged with those of Evans Medical Ltd. also a subsidiary of Medeva pic. Thomas Kerfoot & Co Ltd was renamed Medevale Pharmaservices Ltd in 1993. The business is now owned by Swedish parmaceutical company Recipharm.
Jump to top
RSS feed- tarboat's latest photos with "ashton-under-lyne" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter