tarboat's photos with the keyword: higher poynton
The Trading Post
03 Feb 2011 |
|
Eddie and Edith Burgess ran Constellation Cruises from the Nelson Arm at Higher Poynton for many years. After Eddie died the buildings slowly became more decrepit and eventually Edith sold the business and retired. The site is now the base of Braidbar boats who fit out narrowboat shells and the only survivor from earlier times is the former chandlery building that has metamorphosed into the ' Trading Post '. Chandlery is still available but you can also have a pump-out, buy diesel, or walkers can buy a cup of tea and something to eat along with a waterway magazine or two.
The Macclesfield Canal runs on the far side of the towpath bridge on the right and the water in view is on the private canal arm constructed for the use of Lord Vernon's Collieries when the canal was built and opened in 1831. It is only a couple of boats long and terminates alongside the modern bungalow seen on the left.
The Nelson Pit was situated somewhere near the birch tree and coal would be brought up the shaft and tipped straight into boats for shipment to the mills of Bollington, Marple and beyond. After winding of coal here ended in 1870 a stationary steam engine was installed to haul coal tubs up a tramroad from the Anson Pit. Loaded tubs destined for the canal were also brought to the Anson Pit on standard gauge railway wagons from the Park Pits some distance away. I believe that he last coal was shipped out from here in the early 1930s.
Being a long-established connection to the main canal means that British Waterways cannot demand an annual connection fee from Braidbar Boats, neither can they insist that any boat in the arm has to have a licence. This is a significant commercial advantage to the business.
Boars Head
30 Mar 2010 |
|
The Boars Head at Higher Poynton is a replacement for an earlier building that still stands, albeit much altered, across the road to the right of this shot. This version was built c1904 and reflects the level of custom that must have been available at the time when the local collieries were still hard at work and the railway station stood just opposite. The building in the right background is a stables which were part of the pub property. The ivy covers the sealed doorway that once gave access directly into the public bar.
Boars Head
30 Mar 2010 |
|
Centre panel on the front of the Boars Head at Higher Poynton which feature its namesake.
The Boars Head
30 Mar 2010 |
|
Stone and terracotta mix well on the side of the Boars Head at Higher Poynton.
Jump to top
RSS feed- tarboat's latest photos with "higher poynton" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter