tarboat's photos with the keyword: new mills

Redmoor Mill

23 Feb 2025 29
Redmoor Mill was built in 1916 for cotton doubling. Textile processing ended in 1981 and the mill was subsequently occupied by various businesses including a snooker club and children’s soft play area. Currently the building is in poor condition and offered for sale for redevelopment. This is the former loading dock with remnants of advertising from the snooker club days.

Sweets

30 Jul 2024 1 111
Brunswick mill was built c1872 when it was occupied by a number of cotton processing businesses. Following a disastrous fire in 1883 it was rebuilt and by 1890 was occupied by the Brunswick Mill Co Ltd (cotton spinners and doublers). In 1940 the sweet manufacturers Matlow Bros. Ltd and Swizzels Ltd moved to the mill from London to escape the blitz, and have continued to operate here ever since. In 1970 a major factory extension was added, and since 1975 they have traded as Swizzels-Matlow Ltd. The company is a major employer in the area and produces a wide range of sweets including Love Hearts and Parma Violets.

Torr Vale

03 Jan 2023 5 1 192
Torr Vale Mill (aka Lowe's Mill and also Stafford's Mill) stands by the River Goyt in New Mills, Derbyshire. Daniel Stafford established the first mill here in 1788 and with subsequent enlargement it continued in production spinning cotton until the early 1990's. Part of the mill was subsequently burned down and demolished and the remainder has seen some restoration. View from the excellent Millennium Walkway.

New Pit, Pingot Colliery

26 Apr 2018 2 1 470
This was originally sunk by Levi and Elijah Hall as their Burn'd Edge No.2 Pit which they abandoned in 1875. In 1888 the 108 yard deep, 8 feet diameter, shaft was reopened by the Ollersett Collieries Company Limited to work the Yard Mine to the south and west as part of the Pingot Colliery. Final abandonment came in 1915.

1913

06 Feb 2015 2 402
Buff terracotta ornamentation at 45-47 Market Street, New Mills.

Terracotta balls

02 Feb 2012 263
This type of gatepost ornamentation is fairly common in the Glossop and New Mills area. These examples are in the wall of a Bungalow on Marsh Lane in New Mills. I expect that they are a product of the Glossop Brick works.

Mining the moors

26 Jul 2011 376
Coal mining on the Beard and Ollersett Moors was extensive during the eighteenth century. This inhospitable land lies at around 1300ft above sea level commanding fine views towards Kinder and over Manchester on days of good weather, In 1702 John Shalcross (leaseholder from the Duchy of Lancaster as landowner) sublet the coal here to three partners, John Mottram, William Carrington, and William Bennett. The account book for this venture has survived for the years 1711-57 and shows that over this period at least 120,000 tons of coal was mined here from the Yard Seam. There are extensive remains of shafts across the moors, this one being on Ollersett Moor at the end of a long roadway that served several shafts below the current bridleway. The collapsed shaft has created a deep hole and the back of the gin circle is marked by the rushes on the right. The next shaft up the hill still showed evidence of having been stone lined and rectangular in shape rather than circular.

Brunswick Mill, Newtown

28 Jan 2010 276
Brunswick mill was built c1872 when it was occupied by a number of cotton processing businesses. Following a disastrous fire in 1883 it was rebuilt and by 1890 was occupied by the Brunswick Mill Co Ltd (cotton spinners and doublers). In 1940 the sweet manufacturers Matlow Bros. Ltd and Swizzels Ltd moved to the mill from London to escape the blitz, and have continued to operate here ever since. In 1970 a major factory extension was added, and since 1975 they have traded as Swizzels-Matlow Ltd. The company is a major employer in the area and produces a wide range of sweets including Love Hearts and Parma Violets. Best viewed in original size.

Newtown Viaduct

28 Feb 2008 234
Newtown Viaduct carries the Midland Railway's Disley cutoff line of 1901 across the River Goyt just to the west of New MIlls South Junction.

Gowhole sub-station

29 Feb 2008 269
Electrical architecture at Gowhole near New Mills.

Foundry Court

20 Dec 2007 237
In Foundry Court stands the oldest chimney in New Mills. It is the only remaining part of Yates brass foundry and dates from the late 1830s. The rest of the buildings were demolished in 1999 to make way for the houses.