tarboat's photos with the keyword: penmon
Flagstaff Quarry, Penmon
22 Apr 2013 |
|
|
There was a small quarry and pier at this site before 1874 and these kilns were part of the operations at that time. In 1888 William Baird & Co took over and developed the quarry to supply fluxing stone for their steelworks in Glasgow. After a period of low activity Dinmore Quarries Ltd commenced working the site, mainly producing kiln burnt lime for agriculture and this continued until 1948 when all production ceased. The tunnels below the kiln drawing level were for loading lime into carts or possibly railway skips. This was dropped down through shafts with iron doors.
Flagstaff Quarry
08 Nov 2011 |
|
|
Disused limestone quarry and processing works overlooking the Menai Straits.
There was a small quarry and pier at this site before 1874 and then in 1888 William Baird & Co took over and developed the quarry to supply fluxing stone for their steelworks in Glasgow. After a period of low activity Dinmore Quarries Ltd commenced working the site, mainly producing kiln burnt lime for agriculture, and this continued until 1948 when all production ceased.
Flagstaff Quarry, Penmon
29 Mar 2011 |
|
|
There was a small quarry and pier at this site before 1874 and these kilns were part of the operations at that time. In 1888 William Baird & Co took over and developed the quarry to supply fluxing stone for their steelworks in Glasgow. After a period of low activity Dinmore Quarries Ltd commenced working the site, mainly producing kiln burnt lime for agriculture, and this continued until 1948 when all production ceased.
Penmon Park Quarry incline
07 Nov 2010 |
|
The limestone quarries at Penmon Park were operating in the early nineteenth century. By 1875 the workings were connected to a saw mill and jetty at Porth Penmon by a 3ft 6ins gauge incline. At this time the quarries were in the control of Samuel Blatchford Tucker and the Anglesea (Penmon) Marble Quarries Co Ltd. This company was liquidated in 1879 and followed by Public Works & Contract Co Ltd (registered in1883 and liquidated in 1890), Penmon Quarries Ltd (1886 - 1891). From 1890 the quarries were worked by John Harold Hope until closure in 1911.
The route of the incline can be seen passing under the Penmon road in the centre background of this photo. The piers and timbers in the foreground once held a travelling crane, whilst the stone building to the right is the remains of the sawmill.
Jump to top
RSS feed- tarboat's latest photos with "penmon" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter