tarboat's photos with the keyword: conwy

Rhiwbach

24 Mar 2025 2 17
Looking along the remains of the top mill at Rhiwbach slate quarry. In the background are the boiler and enginehouse and the course of the incline that lifted the finished slates up to the Rhiwbach tramway which carried them down to the Ffestiniog railway for onward transport to Porthmadog.

Rhiwbach

06 Nov 2024 1 134
Boiler and enginehouse at Rhiwbach slate quarry with the remains of the top mill behind. This view is looking down the incline which brought the finished slates up to the Rhiwbach tramway which carried them down to the Ffestiniog railway which took them on to Porthmadog.

Paddling at Llandudno

15 Oct 2024 8 2 126
Paddle Steamer Waverley approaches the pier head at Llandudno. PS Waverley is the last seagoing passenger-carrying paddle steamer in the world. Built in 1946 and entering service in 1947, she sailed from Craigendoran on the Firth of Clyde to Arrochar on Loch Long until 1973. Entering preservation in 1973 the ship now visits many ports and harbours along the south and west coasts of Britain each summer. 2024 saw a three day visit to North Wales and the Mersey with calls at Holyhead, Llandudno and Wallasey.

Llandudno Station

29 Jun 2024 5 2 190
Amidst a forest of lamps, Transport for Wales class 197 018 departs Llandudno for Llandudno Junction on a fill-in shuttle service before its main run back to Manchester Airport. The station still boasts a nice semaphore signal gantry. There can't be many of those left these days.

Waverley

28 Jun 2024 2 125
Paddle Steamer Waverley approaches the pier head at Llandudno. PS Waverley is the last seagoing passenger-carrying paddle steamer in the world. Built in 1946 and entering service in 1947, she sailed from Craigendoran on the Firth of Clyde to Arrochar on Loch Long until 1973. Entering preservation in 1973 the ship now visits many ports and harbours along the south and west coasts of Britain each summer. 2024 saw a three day visit to North Wales and the Mersey with calls at Holyhead, Llandudno and Wallasey.

Llandudno Pier

16 Jun 2024 1 3 170
Llandudno Pier was designed by Sir James William Brunlees and Alexander McKerrow. Taking 2 years to construct, between 1876 and 1878. The Pier is known for its splendid Victorian and Edwardian elegance, with its kiosks designed by architects Charles Henry Driver and Charles H. Rew. The total length is 2295ft, of which the main Pier is 1234ft. In 1969 the pier end berthing area was rebuilt in concrete and steel, enabling the largest Isle of Man steamboats to dock and by 1972 the pier was well known for day trips to the Isle of Man. Sailings ceased between 2005 and 2015 due to deterioration of the landing area, but have now resumed with visits from the Waverley paddle steamer after extensive renovations. The pier is privately owned and costs around £250,000 a year in maintenance, in addition to storm damage costs. It is listed Grade II*.

Great Orme

15 Jun 2024 8 3 197
The Great Orme Tramway is Britain’s only funicular, or cable-hauled, tramway that travels on public roads. The one mile line, which runs in two sections, opened in 1902. The equipment was supplied by aerial ropeway specialists R White & Son of Widnes.

Abandoned loco

29 May 2024 2 354
High up in the Penmaenmawr quarries a line of granite dressing sheds turns its back to the sea and the prevailing winds. Beyond stands the roofless locomotive shed with its rusty water tank. Outside are the sad remains of a De Winton vertical boilered locomotive abandoned here many years ago. This is a fascinating and difficult place to access but very rewarding to anyone with an interest in industrial archaeology who is prepared to make the climb.

Drumhouse

27 Feb 2024 251
Drumhouse on one of the inclines down to the Ffrith Mill at Penmaenmawr granite quarry.

Granite quarry industrial archaeology

22 Oct 2022 1 3 217
High up in the Penmaenmawr quarries a line of granite dressing sheds turns its back to the sea and the prevailing winds. Beyond stands the roofless locomotive shed with its rusty water tank. Outside are the sad remains of a De Winton vertical boilered locomotive abandoned here many years ago. This is a fascinating and difficult place to access but very rewarding to anyone with an interest in industrial archaeology who is prepared to make the climb.

Incline drum house

14 Apr 2021 3 264
The Conwy stone quarries are easily visible from the A55 a short distance west of the tunnel under the estuary. A microgranite was worked here during the nineteenth century under a number of quarry owners. A series of inclines connected at least four levels with the mill and loading bunkers on a siding off the Chester and Holyhead Railway. Closure came at some point between 1936 and 1945 after an agreement was reached to supply the North Wales Granite Co Ltd with stone from Penmaenmawr. The quarry is now sometimes used by climbers and the five incline brake drum houses stand empty, staring out onto the Irish Sea. This is the remains of the drum house at the penultimate level of the quarry.

Arriva Wales

08 Apr 2021 4 1 176
An Arriva Wales class 175 DMU passes below the Conwy stone quarries at Penmaenbach and heads for Chester.

Magazine

05 Apr 2021 187
The Conwy stone quarries are easily visible from the A55 a short distance west of the tunnel under the estuary. A microgranite was worked here during the nineteenth century under a number of quarry owners. A series of inclines connected at least four levels with the mill and loading bunkers on a siding off the Chester and Holyhead Railway. Closure came at some point between 1936 and 1945 after an agreement was reached to supply the North Wales Granite Co Ltd with stone from Penmaenmawr. This is the explosives magazine just below the workings.

Incline 39

04 Jan 2020 3 426
Drumhouse for the No.39 Penmaen Mill Chute incline at Penmaenmawr. This was a powered incline using a motor geared to the drum.

Drumhouse 54

14 Dec 2018 1 416
Drumhouse for Incline 54 at Penmaenmawr West Quarry. It is 1,050 feet down to the sea from this point.

Drum house

06 May 2018 1 503
The Conwy stone quarries are easily visible from the A55 a short distance west of the tunnel under the estuary. A microgranite was worked here during the nineteenth century under a number of quarry owners. A series of inclines connected at least four levels with the mill and loading bunkers on a siding off the Chester and Holyhead Railway. Closure came at some point between 1936 and 1945 after an agreement was reached to supply the North Wales Granite Co Ltd with stone from Penmaenmawr. The quarry is now sometimes used by climbers and the five incline brake drum houses stand empty, staring out onto the Irish Sea. This is the remains of the drum house at the top level of the quarry.

De Winton at rest

03 Apr 2017 1 1 668
High up in the Penmaenmawr quarries is this locomotive shed for the railways on this level outside which sits the rusting remains of a De Winton vertical boilered locomotive.

English Methodist Church

07 Oct 2015 1 720
The English Methodist Church in Llanfairfechan appears to date from before 1897 and is still in business. English only spoken.

20 items in total