tarboat's photos with the keyword: waterworks

Pumping station

15 Apr 2021 3 143
The Grade II listed pumping station of the Staffordshire Potteries Water Company at Hatton on the recent open day. The first part was built in 1892 in an Italianate style to house two compound rotary beam steam pumping engines. This was followed in 1898 with the erection of a horizontal cross compound rotary steam engine and then in 1907 a horizontal compound tandem rotary steam pumping engine was added. Steam was replaced over the period 1937-1959 when oil engines driving electric spindle pumps were installed in the former boiler house. Today the pumping station has been converted to apartments although a small museum of surviving oil engines and equipment is open on four days a year.

Langford Waterworks

15 Mar 2021 3 170
The Southend Waterworks Company began construction of its Langford works in 1924 and by 1927 the works was pumping water from the River Chelmer. The Lilleshall Company Limited supplied three similar steam driven vertical triple expansion rotative pumping engines, each with a maximum pumping capacity of 4.4 million gallons per day. The engines were worked in pairs with a combined maximum pumping rate of 8 million gallons per day. Steam pumping was replaced by electricity in 1963 and two of the engines were scrapped. The third engine has subsequently been restored and forms a centrepiece to the Museum of Power that has been established in the old waterworks buildings.

Legacy

09 Mar 2020 3 421
Water tower at the Legacy waterworks, Esclusham, Wrexham. The waterworks was completed by the Wrexham and East Denbighshire Water Company in 1921 and the tower followed by 1934. Following the takeover of the business by Severn Trent Water in 2016 the waterworks is now operated by Hafren Dyfrdwy, having been renamed from Dee Valley Water.

Civic pride

19 Nov 2014 1 465
Clear details of ownership on the gates at the former entrance to Wall Grange pumping station. Of course it's all privatised these days and spending money on maintaining such frivolities as these gates is not considered worthwhile.

Pumping power

08 May 2014 2 748
Bellis & Morcom crude oil engine, one of a pair installed in 1937 at the Hatton pumping station of the Staffordshire Potteries Water Company. The engines drove generators providing power to a number of spindle pumps over the boreholes. The pumping station has been converted to apartments but the remaining equipment is open to view on four days a year.

Langford pumping engine

22 Apr 2014 408
The Southend Waterworks Company began construction of its Langford works in 1924 and by 1927 the works was pumping water from the River Chelmer. The Lilleshall Company Limited supplied three similar steam driven vertical triple expansion rotative pumping engines, each with a maximum pumping capacity of 4.4 million gallons per day. The engines were worked in pairs with a combined maximum pumping rate of 8 million gallons per day. Steam pumping was replaced by electricity in 1963 and subsequently two of the engines were scrapped. The third engine has subsequently been restore and forms a centrepiece to the Museum of Power that has been established in the old waterworks buildings.

The Bulkeley boilers

13 Jan 2012 1 400
At the bottom of the Bulkeley waterworks railway is the pumping station operated by Severn Trent Water. This includes this array of Lancashire boilers reused as storage tanks,

Waterworks railway

11 Jan 2012 2 2402
In 1937 the Staffordshire Potteries Water Board gained authority for the erection of pumping stations at Peckforton and Tower Wood in Cheshire, with a reservoir on Bulkeley Hill, whence the water would gravitate to a large storage reservoir at Cooper’s Green near Audley, for distribution to Tunstall and the Potteries. Most of these enterprises were held up by the Second World War and it wasn't until 1953 that the Peckforton scheme and its linking aqueduct to Audley had been completed. There are two boreholes where water is pumped from the Sherwood Sandstone aquifer which is near to the surface: Close to the Coppermine Inn (three pumping stations) and at Peckforton Gap. There is a holding reservoir at the Gap, from where water is pumped up 110 metres to a covered reservoir on Bulkeley Hill at 210 metres above sea level. From there a 27 inch steel pipe feeds the water under gravity to the reservoir at Cooper’s Green, Audley, 140 metres asl. The Bulkeley Hill railway was the hauled tramway used in the construction of the Bulkeley Hill reservoir and water main, including a massive anti-surge valve at the top of the tramway. There are foundations for a haulage angine at the top of the line. The climb up the track is approximately 105 metres of ascent. The tramway is on the route of the main supplying the water to the Potteries. This view is looking downhill from the top of the line.

Bellis & Morcom

04 Dec 2010 431
Bellis & Morcom crude oil engine, one of a pair installed in 1937 at the Hatton pumping station of the Staffordshire Potteries Water Company. The engines drove generators providing power to a number of spindle pumps over the boreholes. The pumping station has been converted to apartments but the remaining equipment is open to view on four days a year. On this particular snowy day my friend and I were the only people to visit this fascinating little museum.

Hatton open day

04 Dec 2010 310
The Grade II listed pumping station of the Staffordshire Potteries Water Company at Hatton on the recent open day. The first part was built in 1892 in an Italianate style to house two compound rotary beam steam pumping engines. This was followed in 1898 with the erection of a horizontal cross compound rotary steam engine and then in 1907 a horizontal compound tandem rotary steam pumping engine was added. Steam was replaced over the period 1937-1959 when oil engines driving electric spindle pumps were installed in the former boiler house. Today the pumping station has been converted to apartments although a small museum of surviving oil engines and equipment is open on four days a year.