Jaap van 't Veen's photos with the keyword: Kasteel Nederhorst

Nederland - Nederhorst den Berg, Kasteel Nederhors…

10 Sep 2021 65 68 1118
In the 13th century, Kasteel Nederhorst (Castle Nederhorst) was no more than a simple moated tower. These structures were usually not intended for permanent residence but were purely defensive. As with many other of these donjons, a residential wing was added later, after which the complex grew into a castle. The castle - formerly known as Horst op de Berg - was founded around the year of 1260. From 1301 to 1560 the castle was owned by the Van der Horst family. Another important owner was Godard van Reede. He undertook many activities, such as having the Reevaart canal dug, which enabled visitors to reach the castle by boat. He also gave the castle its present appearance around 1635.The house acquired the character of a country estate. In winter, the elite lived in the city, but in summer they moved to the country estates. Nederhorst remained a country estate with some grandeur until the Napoleonic era. It then came into the possession of the Freule De Warin, who lived at Nederhorst during the summer for most of the 19th century. In the early 20th century Kasteel Nederhorst came into the possession of the Van Lynden family. After a renovation, the castle became suitable for permanent residence. After the World War II the house was neglected, fell into disrepair and was finally uninhabitable. In 1959, the building in this dilapidated state was bought by Jan Lourens Jonker. He restored the castle to its former glory. On 10 January 1971, when the restoration of the castle was practically finished, a big fire broke out. With the help of additional funding by state, provincial and local governments, renovation could start again and was completed in 1973. Today the Kasteel Nederhorst hosts a private company. The park and the driveway (with a wrought iron entrance gate from 1730 between stone pillars in Louis XIV style) are free accessible.