Jaap van 't Veen's photos with the keyword: gemeente Rheden
Nederland - Velp, Kasteel Biljoen
01 Dec 2021 |
|
|
|
Kasteel Biljoen , originally called Broekerhof , was a place were taxes were collected. It was first mentioned in 1076 as it was a large farm, which was donated to the chapter of St. Peter in Utrecht by Emperor Heinrich IV. Around the year of 1530 Duke Karel van Gelder built the first Noble House, partly with materials from the nearby Kasteel Overhagen .
In 1535, the Duke of Gelre sold the castle due to a lack of money. It had various owners until it came into the possession of Alexander van Spaen in 1661. He rebuilt the house into the present day castle with four equal corner towers, each crowned by a helmet-shaped roof. The family Van Spaen rebuilt the castle again in the the 18th century.
In 1795 French troops were quartered in the castle. After they left the castle was plundered and the interior largely destroyed. In 1849 baron Van Hardenbroek allowed Anna Pavlovna of Russia to use it temporarily. In 1872 it was inherited by the family Lüps, until 2008. Today (2021) Kasteel Biljoen is owned by an American family and the castle itself is closed off to public visits.
Nederland - De Steeg, Kasteel Middachten
19 Jul 2021 |
|
|
|
Kasteel Middachten was first mentioned in the year 1190, when it was owned by Jacobus de Mithdac. At the beginning of the 14th century Everardus van Middachten transferred the property (for protection) to Reinald Count of Gelre. Everardus - ancestor of all later Lords and Ladies van Middachten - got the castle back as a loan in 1357. It is remarkable that Middachten has never been sold. It was inherited in both male and female line and was owned by the families Middachten, Steenre, Raesfelt, Reede, Bentinck and now Ortenburg. Currently, it is held in the 25th generation.
The year 1673 is important in the history of Middachten. The French troops withdrew that year, after Stadholder Willem III had conquered the city of Bonn from the French. The castle was partially destroyed during that retreat. Godard van Reede had the castle rebuilt (1694-1697), with Palace Het Loo (nearby Apeldoorn) as the source of inspiration. He hired the same architect Jacob Roman. Kasteel Middachten has not undergone any further substantial changes since that renovation.
The garden was laid out at the beginning of the 18th century based on the garden in Versailles. In the late 18th century, the garden was adapted to the English landscape style. Later during the early 1980s, it was restored back to the original design.
In addition to the castle with its outer bailey and gardens, the Middachten Estate - which is no longer owned by the ‘family’ - also includes forests and farms. All buildings belonging to the estate can be easily recognised by the red and white painted shutters. Red and white are the colours of the coat of arms of the Middachten family.
During summer months the gardens are open for visitors. Kasteel Middachten itself is open on special days.
Jump to top
RSS feed- Jaap van 't Veen's latest photos with "gemeente Rheden" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter