Jaap van 't Veen's photos with the keyword: Snits

Nederland - Sneek, Waterpoort

06 Apr 2022 75 65 578
Sneek was founded in the 10th century and became Sneek became several city rights in the 13th century, which became official in 1456. Sneek was (and still is) one of the eleven Frisian cities. This was also the beginning of a period of blooming trade for the city that would last until about 1550. In 1492 construction of a moat and wall around the city began. In those days Sneek was the only walled city in Friesland. The Waterpoort (Water gate) was probably built at the same time as the city wall. The gate served to close off access by water to the town. The water gate was built on the Hoogendsterpijp (a pijp is a narrow water passage). In 1613 the gate was converted into an ornamental gate because it no longer had a military function. From then on, the gate had its current appearance. The architect is unknown. In 1757 a thorough rebuilding followed and in 1785 the gate was given a guard. The gate consists of two octagonal towers, with in between a bridge across the waterway and above the bridge a gatekeeper's house. In 1877 it was restored according to a design by the nationally renowned architect Isaac Gosschalk, who undid the 18th-century changes and restored the early 17th-century state. He gave a free interpretation of the original middle section, which strongly determined the current appearance of the Waterpoort . Sneek had four other water gates and two land gates, all of which were demolished in the 19th century. The Waterpoort remained and is now the symbol of Sneek, known worldwide and the pride of the city.