Jaap van 't Veen's photos with the keyword: Betuwe

Nederland - Buren, De Prins van Oranje

03 Jan 2025 50 49 430
Windmill De Prins van Oranje (The Prince of Orange) is named after prins Willem van Oranje - Father of the Nation - who married Anna van Buren. The Counts of Buren were the owners of this mill from 1716 to 1795. The current tower mill had at least two predecessora on the city walls of Buren; the first of which was destroyed by fire in 1575. A new mill was built in 1577, which was replaced by the current stone mill in 1716 due to its dilapidatedness. In 1911 these mill also burned down ans was rebuilt and heightened. In 1974, the five-storey tower mill was fully restored, with new internal machinery. It has a stage, which is almost nine meters above ground level. De Prins van Oranje is still working as a flour mill and is listed as a Dutch national heritage site.